ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Husker football success..

Jaemekon

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
I'm probably alone on this, but is anyone else pretty much done caring if the Huskers win or not? I've been trying to get into the offseason hype, but I just find it difficult to care. I don't know if it's that there are so many new players, that it all just feels like autogenerated names type of situation?

I was thinking to myself, what would get me excited about the Huskers, my answer, nothing. They could go undefeated and win the championship, but I feel like my excitement would be eh, and it would likely dissipate quickly.

I guess the only way for me to know for sure would be for the Huskers to go out and win the National title, but we all know that we are supposed to expect a 6 win season this year. Should I just space off the Huskers until next offseason. I'm not as excited about the process, I don't like watching how films are made either.

Maybe it's more about being losers, but even the pelini years were tough. Maybe it is just more about how none of it feels "good" to me anymore. We don't play any rivalry games anymore, we don't play any teams from our region even, we are starting to see half of the roster turn over at the end of the season. I liked having guys stay at their schools for years, then I could at least know what a team is about. Now it's just randos on every team, it means less to me that way.

Maybe I was just never really a fan to begin with, but I sure tried from Callahan to Pelini.

Snap Out Of It Gordon Ramsay GIF by BBC

I want them to win but I don’t get all hyped about spring practice stuff. They always say the same things. We get a few videos of them making some plays or training hard. They all have good things to say about each other, etc etc. proof is in the pudding, but everyone knows that already too. So it is just killing time and waiting for the first game as far as I’m concerned

• Love
Reactions: Jaemekon
I want them to win but I don’t get all hyped about spring practice stuff. They always say the same things. We get a few videos of them making some plays or training hard. They all have good things to say about each other, etc etc. proof is in the pudding, but everyone knows that already too. So it is just killing time and waiting for the first game as far as I’m concerned

Absolutely.

I don't focus on it the same way that I did in the past.

When I was at UNL they were killing everyone and winning championships and it got to the point where I stopped going to the games because they were so boring, so we would just party and have the game on the TV.

Then when they would lose, with Solich as the coach, it "hurt" like, it was shocking.

Now, I want them to win every game but heading to Lincoln 2-3 times a season, hanging out with friends all day, sharing stories of the past, drinking beers, goofing around, that is what I really look forward to with the backdrop being the game.

The game and outcome is still important to me and relevant but it is not the same as it once was.

• Love
I can remember a friend of mine in college would go to every game and stay until the end and he said "This is not going to last and we will never see this again, so I don't want to miss any of the games"

I sort of thought, at the time, that it was kind of dumb. But clearly he was right.

I will say this, when they lose now, at home, I don't see the fans/college kids looking/acting as pissed, they just go on with their drinking and eating.

It is interesting because I am trying to think of the last time that I was "excited" for the game and not the atmosphere that the game provides.

Maybe the last time was Fros't first game of the second season?

I can remember having to get to the bars a good 3 hours before the game just to get a good spot. Not anymore!

Husker football has given me battered wife syndrome since 09 in Dallas. I keep coming back for more but in my heart I know the inevitable will happen. Hoping Rhule can be my cure

Not sure I will ever get to the place the OP is. I guess on a positive note, you cared enough to post about how much you don’t care anymore, so maybe you care more than you realize?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not sure I will ever get to the place the OP is. I guess on a positive note, you cared enough to post about how much you don’t care anymore, so maybe you care more than you realize?

Yea maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT