ADVERTISEMENT

Arthur Bryants or Gates?

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
MACG__.1031339.512x288.jpg

I honestly think Jack Stack’s sucks ass. Their burnt ends are good, but everything else is overpriced IMO. I’ve been to plenty of BBQ joints in KC, and most are fantastic, especially the under the radar joints, but I seriously think Gates isn’t even better than some sh!ty Omaha joint.

Never been to Arthur Bryant's or Gates. Been to Q39 and Jack Stack once each, and Joe's of Kansas City numerous times. I liked them all, but I would say Joe's is probably my favorite, just because I think you get a little more for your money there. Q39 is really good too. Jack Stack was good, but my only time there was with a large group, so the experience was a little different. I need to try it again.

I like them both but I like Gates better. I keep the spicy version of the Gates sauce at home at all times!

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Ill make ribs or pulled pork at home (still perfecting my brisket, getting there but not GREAT yet) before I eat at any of those.

Everytime Ive eaten at one of those places Ive been dissapointed. Shit sitting around all day. Dry. No thanks. Ill eat an entire rack for half the cost at home. Meathead's Memphis Dust rub and you are golden.

Love the Prime beef ribs at Jack's Stack, but I think the overall menu at Q39 is better. Used to like Arthur Bryant's back in the day but over the years other places have moved forward with higher-quality meat, while Arthur's has not.

Another nice thing about Q39 is that it takes reservations, even for a small party. Food always tastes better if you don't have to sit for an hour+ waiting for a table.

I never understood all the "hub bub" about Gates. Meat was cold and dry. Stale, square wonderbread. Sides tasted worse than Old Country Buffet (which we called Old Country Barf) back in the day.

That said, near DC, it's even worse. If I want BBQ, I just make my own. While I don't proclaim to be a pit master, and Gordon Ramsay may call me a filthy bollocks donkey, I've not had any complaints from my dogs yet.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Ill make ribs or pulled pork at home (still perfecting my brisket, getting there but not GREAT yet) before I eat at any of those.

Everytime Ive eaten at one of those places Ive been dissapointed. Shit sitting around all day. Dry. No thanks. Ill eat an entire rack for half the cost at home. Meathead's Memphis Dust rub and you are golden.

Disappointed in Kansas City BBQ?? C'mon man..

I never understood all the "hub bub" about Gates. Meat was cold and dry. Stale, square wonderbread. Sides tasted worse than Old Country Buffet (which we called Old Country Barf) back in the day.

That said, near DC, it's even worse. If I want BBQ, I just make my own. While I don't proclaim to be a pit master, and Gordon Ramsay may call me a filthy bollocks donkey, I've not had any complaints from my dogs yet.

You must have caught them on a bad day. I used to take Gates into medical offices all the time, and not once did I ever have cold meat and stale bread. It was always very fresh..

I honestly think Jack Stack’s sucks ass. Their burnt ends are good, but everything else is overpriced IMO. I’ve been to plenty of BBQ joints in KC, and most are fantastic, especially the under the radar joints, but I seriously think Gates isn’t even better than some sh!ty Omaha joint.
+1
Jack Stack's is one step above Applebee's imo.

Love the Prime beef ribs at Jack's Stack, but I think the overall menu at Q39 is better. Used to like Arthur Bryant's back in the day but over the years other places have moved forward with higher-quality meat, while Arthur's has not.

Another nice thing about Q39 is that it takes reservations, even for a small party. Food always tastes better if you don't have to sit for an hour+ waiting for a table.

Have not heard one single bad thing about Q39.

Reactions: schuele
Didn't someone mention that one of the KC BBQ joints was going to open in Nebraska?? Wasn't it Oklahoma Joe's?

Edit - Just found it, in Aksarben. Good grief, only in Nebraska would people give Famous Dave's a higher rating than Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Unless this isn't actually associated with the Oklahoma Joe's of Kansas City, which I can't imagine it isn't. How Famous Dave's keeps its doors open is a culinary conundrum for the ages.

Last edited:
Didn't someone mention that one of the KC BBQ joints was going to open in Nebraska?? Wasn't it Oklahoma Joe's?

Edit - Just found it, in Aksarben. Good grief, only in Nebraska would people give Famous Dave's a higher rating than Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Unless this isn't actually associated with the Oklahoma Joe's of Kansas City, which I can't imagine it isn't. How Famous Dave's keeps its doors open is a culinary conundrum for the ages.
Have you ever actually been to the one in AkSarBen? Or do you just magically know more than those who have?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT