ADVERTISEMENT

Armstrong will have only .5 turnovers per game

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
Oh yeah! I believe!

koolaid.jpg

At first I didn't see the decimal.
Well lets hope you see it during the season :) GBR. He is entirely capable; he often has stellar quarters - then he does his old thing and has a disastrous group of plays; so he can get it done. Has to follow the coaches.

Reactions: jeans15
We will win a lot of games if he does...We need at least a 2 to 1 ratio or greater.

We need to average between 20-27 pass attempts per game with Tommy for this to happen. Not only will he throw less picks, his completion percentage will be above 60 percent if we do this. Take it to the bank.

TA will have 6 or less TO's all season? That's hard for good QBs to do. If he does that, Nebraska will probably be close to undefeated.

Reactions: jeans15
Throwing 25 passes a game is a recipe for disaster.
A quick google search showed Nebraska ran 75 plays per game on average last year. 35 per game of those plays were passes. If we can cut 10 passes per game, I don't see how that is a recipe for disaster. Isn't that what we are wanting to do, run more and pass less?

Reactions: huntered
A quick google search showed Nebraska ran 75 plays per game on average last year. 35 per game of those plays were passes. If we can cut 10 passes per game, I don't see how that is a recipe for disaster. Isn't that what we are wanting to do, run more and pass less?
Thanks for helping me out here.
Either this poster doesn't know we threw it over 35 times a game last year or he thinks we should throw it around a lot more for success.
We ended up ranked in the 40s in passes attempted of all ncaa teams. Name any program better than us right now, they were all below us (as in having passed less). Including Oregon and Baylor.
25 attempts per game average this year with no games over 32 attempts and Tommy looks like a new quarterback and we have at least a 9 win team. Period.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
My highly scientific number is average of 22 attempts per game. Can tolerate a few more if some of those are shovel passes and screens.

Reactions: timnsun
Most of the fans can see what we need to average as far as run/pass ratios etc, but will the staff actually do that? Who knows..

We were fed a lot of talk before the season last year, and they didn't really walk the talk. Instead, they made TA sling it all over and didn't help him with all the questionable play calling.

Other than it being year two, I don't see why it would be any different this year.

The UCLA game was a one off, so they said, and that's a shame, as it was really a recipe for them to use this whole year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Most of the fans can see what we need to average as far as run/pass ratios etc, but will the staff actually do that? Who knows..

We were fed a lot of talk before the season last year, and they didn't really walk the talk. Instead, they made TA sling it all over and didn't help him with all the questionable play calling.

Other than it being year two, I don't see why it would be any different this year.

The UCLA game was a one off, so they said, and that's a shame, as it was really a recipe for them to use this whole year.
The impression that I get is their opinion of their o-line improved as the season wore on. You got a bit of that vibe of, "We'd love to call more runs, but these kids can't block them." I think between that and them having a little tendency to dial up too many throws once it was game time and the "live bullets" were flying, you wound up with too much passing.

As I've said before, though, you can't just decide to be a running team because one day you're magically good at it. You have to really rep it. So I think it was a bit of a vicious cycle.

I want to believe them that they'll run more, but I tend to agree that when I look at all the WR talent they're trying to bring in...that doesn't give me the sense that a 60 runs per game team is on the horizon. I think after TA graduates, you see them settle in around 30 passes a game.

The impression that I get is their opinion of their o-line improved as the season wore on. You got a bit of that vibe of, "We'd love to call more runs, but these kids can't block them." I think between that and them having a little tendency to dial up too many throws once it was game time and the "live bullets" were flying, you wound up with too much passing.

As I've said before, though, you can't just decide to be a running team because one day you're magically good at it. You have to really rep it. So I think it was a bit of a vicious cycle.

I want to believe them that they'll run more, but I tend to agree that when I look at all the WR talent they're trying to bring in...that doesn't give me the sense that a 60 runs per game team is on the horizon. I think after TA graduates, you see them settle in around 30 passes a game.
I completely agree.. they will be more settled in their system when they have the right players to run it like how they want to.. it's still transition

Reactions: HuskerO
I get what Beav is saying but there were OBVIOUS examples of games last season where even a heavy passing team would run the ball just for clock management alone.

Another thing that kind of bugs me is people think that passing less makes the team a "running team" and we "don't have the horses for it". What I said before is literal---name any team at all that you think was better than us last season and they all passed it less than we did. Included in that category would be teams that no one on here would consider "run first" teams. Many of them might surprise you. I understand its easier to run when winning--but we had games last year we would have won had we run it late.

Averaging 25 passes a game or less does not mean we can't have games where Tommy throws for 250-300 yards. In fact we may have MORE of them. It doesn't mean we're expecting to be an option team again like in the 90s, however I do think that Tommy running the ball is obviously desireable (and will only help in his pass game)

Long story short, we don't have to be a "run first team" to run the ball more. (In a literal sense, almost every team is a run first team since most programs do have more runs than passes, but I think you all get what I mean.)

I think less than 20 would be ideal. I believe Tommy threw 17 passes in the bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT