ADVERTISEMENT

Are you in favor of a new Black Friday opponent?

Are you in favor of a new Black Friday opponent?

• Yes

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

ckriley

Assistant Head Coach
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles
With Matt Rhule already off to a strong start, let's drink a little bit of the kool-aid and say he does very well at NU. If Nebraska is back to being a top 10 team and vying for conference and national championships again, would you like a new Black Friday game? Or are you happy with Iowa as the annual year-end opponent?

Why?

Minnesota and Wisconsin have the longest standing rivalry in Division one college football history…

Why would we want to play either one of them that would be more important?

With Matt Rhule already off to a strong start, let's drink a little bit of the kool-aid and say he does very well at NU. If Nebraska is back to being a top 10 team and vying for conference and national championships again, would you like a new Black Friday game? Or are you happy with Iowa as the annual year-end opponent?
Yeah. Iowa no good. Wanna play somebody good on black Friday

We will have to see what the Big Ten does with schedules
I think the B1G has to have a couple of permanent rivals for each team no matter how they organize the conference. For example, there's no way that Michigan will not play Ohio State and Michigan State each year.

Iowa vs. Nebraska is likely the same situation.

IMO, 3 out of 4 Hawk fans dislike the Black Friday game as they feel it’s a game that’s been forced on them. The more they dislike it, the more I love it.
Ask them if their game against Minnesota is more important than Minnesota playing Wisconsin ?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Trojans will be playing ND or UCLA during thanksgiving.. anyone want to wager with me on that?
They’ll be playing ND, but the UCLA game is typically a week before. UCLA usually plays Cal as their final game and that won’t be happening anymore. So UCLA on Black Friday could be a possibility.

Reactions: Yantzeee
Some of you have no clue about football history..

USC has way too much tradition at the end of the year playing either ND or UCLA..

They’ll be playing ND, but the UCLA game is typically a week before. UCLA usually plays Cal as their final game and that won’t be happening anymore. So UCLA on Black Friday could be a possibility.
That is when they were playing in the PAC 12. Cal and Stanford play one another at the end of the year when USC plays ND in October..

ucla would be a good one..warm weather...not usc good..but still good enough to make it interesting.
plenty tickets

Reactions: Huskers96
That is when they were playing in the PAC 12. Cal and Stanford play one another at the end of the year when USC plays ND in October..
So, you’re thinking they’ll go back to that in the B1G? I feel like USC will play ND Thanksgiving weekend as that’s the bigger national draw. But who knows.

So, you’re thinking they’ll go back to that in the B1G? I feel like USC will play ND Thanksgiving weekend as that’s the bigger national draw. But who knows.
That’s not how it works for ND.. You really need to take that into consideration..

Unless the B1G tells USC you have to have it one way or the other..

I Luv this discussion but everyone needs to take in consideration that the last week of the season on thanksgiving every is going to play their closest rivals or if not closest proximity..

Time to restore the order with the cawk/hog eyes and make their black friday much blacker.

Yes, I need to be careful with the Rhule-Aid.

Reactions: Laner2 and bigboxes
People are joking about USC...im the one the brought it up in jest
Well I have had a few🥃🥃🥃. But I luv college football history and I think Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Io_wy will play one another every year the three of four conference games…

We're not getting another black friday rival. Iowa, unfortunately, is perfect. They're our immediate neighbor. I used to think derisively of Iowa, but now I think that of us. So, rivalry it is. I hope that Rhule gets us back to being competitive. There's no way that USC/UCLA doesn't become a de facto T-giving rivalry game. It's a natural. I once thought that we'd get Wisky. I see that they have Minny. Iowa is the perfect foil. We just need to make beating them an annual event. GBR

Last edited:
USC or Penn St....maybe Oregon down the line if they join the BIG. The wish that won't happen is Oklahoma

I think the B1G has to have a couple of permanent rivals for each team no matter how they organize the conference. For example, there's no way that Michigan will not play Ohio State and Michigan State each year.
we shall see. Protected games in a no division situation can affect the conference championship scenarios. Protecting rivalries sort of became less important when conference realignment began.

we shall see. Protected games in a no division situation can affect the conference championship scenarios. Protecting rivalries sort of became less important when conference realignment began.
Michigan and Ohio State have a lot of clout in the B1G. Their fans would never stand for elimination of the annual showdown. And the B1G also has to satisfy the media people who demand those gigantic TV ratings.

Well your not getting Michigan or Ohio St or Penn St.. So now what?

Yeah, I'd be all for switching because Iowa is boring. But, unfortunately, they're the best realistic option for the foreseeable future.

We ain't getting Oklahoma, nor would I really even want them. That ship has sailed. Their rival is Texas followed by OSU so we'd rank third among their rivals today, regardless of how far back the old rivalry goes.

Now if Colorado somehow ended up in the B1G, I'd take them all day. But that doesn't seem likely.

Michigan and Ohio State have a lot of clout in the B1G. Their fans would never stand for elimination of the annual showdown. And the B1G also has to satisfy the media people who demand those gigantic TV ratings.
And the result could be that Michigan and Ohio St could be the 2 best teams in the league and not play in the CCG. Which, if I am not mistaken, the reason for doing away with divisions because the West division hasn’t won a title in forever.

I could see one protected rivalry game, but any more than that then you might as well stay in divisions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT