ADVERTISEMENT

Are you in favor of a new Black Friday opponent?

Are you in favor of a new Black Friday opponent?

• Yes

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters
And the result could be that Michigan and Ohio St could be the 2 best teams in the league and not play in the CCG. Which, if I am not mistaken, the reason for doing away with divisions because the West division hasn’t won a title in forever.

I could see one protected rivalry game, but any more than that then you might as well stay in divisions.
Michigan
Ohio St
USC
UCLA

Penn St
Michigan St
Maryland
Rutgers

Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Ioway

Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

They could put these groups together and they would play one another every year..
Just a thought.

Michigan
Ohio St
USC
UCLA

Penn St
Michigan St
Maryland
Rutgers

Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Ioway

Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

They could put these groups together and they would play one another every year..
Just a thought.

One of those brackets could have 3 top 10 teams in it most seasons...looks unbalanced.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Michigan
Ohio St
USC
UCLA

Penn St
Michigan St
Maryland
Rutgers

Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Ioway

Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Just a thought.
They could do a lot of things. But I believe they have stated they are not going to have divisions or pods.

Reactions: 9and4
One of those brackets could have 3 top 10 teams in it most seasons...looks unbalanced.
The B1G didn’t invite USC and UCLA to play Rutgers and Northwestern…

There still wouldn’t be divisions and I’m not planning on the conference having them

They could do a lot of things. But I believe they have stated they are not going to have divisions or pods.
I’m not trying to make pods out of this even though that‘s what it looks like, just think there will be groups that play two or three teams every year..

Ideally an opponent that carries the majority of a state with a large population for recruiting purposes.

Same way Oklahoma did it with Texas.

One can dream...

Edit: or probably more to the point, the way Notre Dame has done it.

With Matt Rhule already off to a strong start, let's drink a little bit of the kool-aid and say he does very well at NU. If Nebraska is back to being a top 10 team and vying for conference and national championships again, would you like a new Black Friday game? Or are you happy with Iowa as the annual year-end opponent?
I like it as is. ( more so when we win )

Some of you have no clue about football history..

USC has way too much tradition at the end of the year playing either ND or UCLA..
USC sold its tradition for money when they joined the B1G

ND have been playing less and less B1G teams since they’ve aligned with the ACC

This would be a good new tradition instead of playing the inbreds who have zero tradition/history and who nobody in Nebraska cares about or has feelings towards

The people judging the “hate” from this board are clueless. iowa fans hate Nebraska like a 14 year old hates his stepdad because he has to get a haircut and mow the lawn, but it is one sided

I don’t know any Nebraska fans who give a single thought to iowa much less expend energy hating them for no reason

They may as well not even exist. That is not a rivalry

The 2024 and beyond schedule is likely to be the 3-6-6 model they've talked about, but with some modifications. That means a schedule creates four-year periods in which you play three teams every year, six other teams for the first two years, and the remaining six teams the final two years.

I'll get to Nebraska in a minute, but first, for schools like Iowa, with three traditional trophy games (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota), the schedule would look something like this:
YEARS 1-2
Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Rutgers
YEARS 3-4
Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State, MSU, UCLA, Maryland

For Nebraska, with fewer traditional rivalries, the first four-year period might have Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa as the every-year opponent, but the next four-year period might have Penn State, UCLA and Iowa.

Michigan
Ohio St
USC
UCLA

Penn St
Michigan St
Maryland
Rutgers

Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Ioway

Purdue
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern

Just a thought.

Hell no....

The 2024 and beyond schedule is likely to be the 3-6-6 model they've talked about, but with some modifications. That means a schedule creates four-year periods in which you play three teams every year, six other teams for the first two years, and the remaining six teams the final two years.

I'll get to Nebraska in a minute, but first, for schools like Iowa, with three traditional trophy games (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota), the schedule would look something like this:
YEARS 1-2
Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Rutgers
YEARS 3-4
Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Ohio State, MSU, UCLA, Maryland

For Nebraska, with fewer traditional rivalries, the first four-year period might have Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa as the every-year opponent, but the next four-year period might have Penn State, UCLA and Iowa.

Why you guys want to keep Iowa connected at the hip is beyond me. Nebraska and Iowa do not have a traditional trophy game, that is some stupid made up shit for show. If you want Nebraska to stay below average keep using Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota as your "rivals ".....

YEARS 1-2
YEARS 3-4

I would imagine the fight is that some of these schools, Ohio St,/Michigan Minnesota/ Wisconsin, Indiana/Purdue as examples, want to play these games every year. Again, I would bet that some are wanting to have the 3-6-6 model but the 3 would be permanent and rotating the other 12 teams in the 2 year intervals as described.

Why you guys want to keep Iowa connected at the hip is beyond me. Nebraska and Iowa do not have a traditional trophy game, that is some stupid made up shit for show. If you want Nebraska to stay below average keep using Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota as your "rivals ".....
Okay, who should it be then? Everyone else's dance card is full.

Nebraska and Ioway are neighboring states, fans from both fan bases work along side by side with one another, have friends some close friends of the other team, both fan bases despise the other’s team.. That’s a rivalry…

As far as Minnesota and Wisconsin concerned, Nebraska has played Minnesota 63 times more than anyone else in the conference.

The main reason with Wisconsin is because of Barry Alvarez who played under Bob Devaney here and he turned the Wisconsin program around and they’ve been the 4th best team in the conference behind tOSU, Michigan and Penn St..

It doesn't matter what I want, which I actually never stated in the post to which you responded.

Reactions: scarletred
Correct me if I’m wrong but the games been on B1G Network the last couple of years which states no one wants to pay to air it.

Iowa is bad for our brand. UCLA
would be fantastic considering we have some good history there. Series is pretty even with us with the slight advantage 7-6

87 - #2 vs #3. A game that in current college football world would have game day and a Prime Time airing… Taylor throws 5 TDs. UCLA puts up 16 points in garbage time to make the final look respectable but we dominate in a 42-33 win

88 - #2 vs #8. Another game that would have likely been a game day. UCLA & Aikman gets revenge And jumps out to 28 -0 lead in the first quarter. basically ends our title hopes. A team that Dr Tom thought could make a title run. Remember we played in the kickoff classic and beat aTm to start the year & DR Tom only played in those games if he believed he had a shot a the title

93- Husker win but it was close. 14-13. This game will always be remembered as the Lawrence Phillips breakout game and a game we kept turning the ball over. Trev has a monster game and the blackshirts carried us to a win.

94- first time game day came to Lincoln and only the 3rd time game day did their show on-site. First time it wasn’t in South Bend. Philips again had a massive day and we smoked UCLA 49-21. Game was never in question

13- a top 25 battle in which UCLA won 36-30. Ameer kept us in the gams but T-Mart sack in the end zone changed the game. The T-magic love for most fans had officially ended and Brion Carnes was the most popular name in the state

14- a UCLA blowout. The end to T-Magic

15 - Husker win the foster farms bowl. Our last bowl win. Riley’s first year ended with a losing record but still made a bowl. And really ended the year on the highest note of his time @ NU. We had won a bowl game, beat Michigan State that has made the playoffs, and competitive against Iowa who was top 5 and undefeated when we played them.

A UCLA & Nebraska Black Friday game would do more for our brand then Iowa would ever do. Plus it’s a better market

I love the Black Friday game against Iowa at the end. Trash talking the side of my family and coworkers that are Iowa fans is much more fun during that day then some random Saturday. I finally got them to shut up this year and with Matt Rhule, I’m hoping for a long streak now as payback.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the games been on B1G Network the last couple of years which states no one wants to pay to air it.

would be fantastic considering we have some good history there. Series is pretty even with us with the slight advantage 7-6

87 - #2 vs #3. A game that in current college football world would have game day and a Prime Time airing… Taylor throws 5 TDs. UCLA puts up 16 points in garbage time to make the final look respectable but we dominate in a 42-33 win

88 - #2 vs #8. Another game that would have likely been a game day. UCLA & Aikman gets revenge And jumps out to 28 -0 lead in the first quarter. basically ends our title hopes. A team that Dr Tom thought could make a title run. Remember we played in the kickoff classic and beat aTm to start the year & DR Tom only played in those games if he believed he had a shot a the title

93- Husker win but it was close. 14-13. This game will always be remembered as the Lawrence Phillips breakout game and a game we kept turning the ball over. Trev has a monster game and the blackshirts carried us to a win.

94- first time game day came to Lincoln and only the 3rd time game day did their show on-site. First time it wasn’t in South Bend. Philips again had a massive day and we smoked UCLA 49-21. Game was never in question

13- a top 25 battle in which UCLA won 36-30. Ameer kept us in the gams but T-Mart sack in the end zone changed the game. The T-magic love for most fans had officially ended and Brion Carnes was the most popular name in the state

15 - Husker win the foster farms bowl. Our last bowl win. Riley’s first year ended with a losing record but still made a bowl. And really ended the year on the highest note of his time @ NU. We had won a bowl game, beat Michigan State that has made the playoffs, and competitive against Iowa who was top 5 and undefeated when we played them.

A UCLA & Nebraska Black Friday game would do more for our brand then Iowa would ever do. Plus it’s a better market

Bingo, USC, UCLA, Penn St, or Oregon/Washington. All these blow the snooze fest Iowa match-up away.

Reactions: anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2

I think they also played in 1973? Wasn't that TO's first game? Not sure.

I might have to kick my own ass for saying this, but after 6 straight seasons of watching some of the most infuriating and unwatchable football I’ve ever seen, beating the birds on Black Friday 2022 (with a 3-8 record) went down incredibly smooth.

As long as the corporate fat cats in suits at Amazon steer away from playing an NFL game on Black Friday, it’s still a cold, bitter battle on the plains with outstanding TV exposure for both programs. And even before we joined the Big 10, something was brewing between our fan bases (don’t lie to yourself).

I don’t see the powers that be changing it, or shifting things around due to historical protected rivalries; however, as Tuco mentioned about schedules, it will still come down to FOX, viewership, alumni bases, and eyeballs. USC-NU would draw a massive audience.

Bingo, USC, UCLA, Penn St, or Oregon/Washington. All these blow the snooze fest Iowa match-up away.
I can’t see the Big 10 sending USC or UCLA to Lincoln or anywhere on the road in Late November, those kids won’t want to get off the bus. I have no idea how they’re going to handle their scheduling in November for those teams

I can’t see the Big 10 sending USC or UCLA to Lincoln or anywhere on the road in Late November, those kids won’t want to get off the bus. I have no idea how they’re going to handle their scheduling in November for those teams
It just occurred to me that Nebraska is no longer the San Diego of the Big Ten. San Diego is the San Diego of the Big Ten starting in about 20 months.

They ain't moving it from Iowa as Rhule gets it as only a moron will say lets pick a new rival. Rivals aren't picked, they are grown.
Further more USC ends the season with Notre Dame when the Irish have to play in LA at seasons end..
When USC has to travel to South Bend in October, they have always ended the regular season against UCLA..

Don’t believe the B1G going to change that when it comes to USC & UCLA..

Reactions: Wyldcard
I voted no because we have several years of highly visible and embarrassing losses to make up for. I hope this year was the first of many and I think the current staff can get us back on the right path.

I think they also played in 1973? Wasn't that TO's first game? Not sure.
73 or 74. TO lost and a bit of a controversy occurred when The Bobfather, who was the AD, publicly criticized TO's game plan. TO them publicly shot back at him. Oh, the Voices from the Grandstand was busy with that stuff. Vince F. was the QB in that game, I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT