ADVERTISEMENT

Are there problems with 7on7's like AAU basketball?

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
I admit I am of the age I don't know much about either but from what I understand they seem like the same thing just in different sports. If that is true is there issues with the 7 on 7's like there was with AAU basketball?

It is veering that direction.

Part of the problem is Texas. The governing body (UIL) doesn't allow high school coaches to have any hands on coaching in the summer. So instead you're starting to see "mentors" put together these "elite" 7 on 7 travel teams. I realize Texas isn't everything but that's a big chunk of kids.

The one saving grace is that you can be good at 7 on 7 but college coaches are still going to want to see you in pads in an 11 v 11 setting. And right now the only way to get that is to go watch the high school games. Whereas in AAU basketball college coaches have all but gone around high school coaches straight to these kids' handlers on the AAU circuit.

The biggest problem with anything is that wherever there is money, there will be people trying to grab some. This doesn't mean that there aren't also crooked high school coaches, but there is at least some credentialing because in order to coach at the high school level, it usually means you have to be able to teach. In order to teach, you usually have to be a college graduate.

These private systems don't require any form of vetting. So it opens the door to more money grabbers.

it hasn't gotten their quite yet in basketball .. but we are seeing a number of sports - soccer, hockey, lacrosse where kids are flat out told they can't participate on their high school teams if they want to be part of the elite travel teams -- college and universities for many sports pay no attention to the high school teams -- we have 4 division 1 soccer players in our school district and not one of them plays high school soccer

Reactions: bootleg11
it hasn't gotten their quite yet in basketball .. but we are seeing a number of sports - soccer, hockey, lacrosse where kids are flat out told they can't participate on their high school teams if they want to be part of the elite travel teams -- college and universities for many sports pay no attention to the high school teams -- we have 4 division 1 soccer players in our school district and not one of them plays high school soccer

We’re trying to have a discussion about real sports here and then you have to go off on some tangent about soccer.

The high school I coach at we have a RB/Slot that is a Division 1 soccer player. Plays both even though the seasons are at the same time. It took no effort to get him to come out for football...the high school soccer coach basically had to beg him to come out for the team.

Also have a neighbor that has a daughter that is a good softball player. She's also a good basketball and volleyball player. The parents pay $$$$ for her to play in all these tourneys and on club softball teams. That club has tried and tried to get her to not play the other sports. Luckily the mom is a skeptic. The dad (a very good friend of mine) has bought in hook-line-sinker to this softball coach being the only way his girl can get a softball scholly. Girl was a starter on the volleyball team and is a starter on the top 5 basketball team as a sophomore.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
It's starting to get there. 7on7 coaches are becoming handlers for these players and high school coaches are starting to get pushed to the side. NU lost Jarrett Bell because of his handlers.

7 on 7 is good for developing certain receiving skills and passing concepts/ spacing
They are also good for developing some quarterback skills, footwork, throwing mechanics no rush of course- no pressure

But it doesn’t simulate the full game
Most teams will run a 5 man under cover 2 defense which isn’t what most high schools will run in the fall- teams would run off all your linebackers and d backs and then run the ball right underneath it

A lot of college coaches scoff at 7 on 7 and dont want to hear about it or see the film
See David Shaw Stanford

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker1078
Also have a neighbor that has a daughter that is a good softball player. She's also a good basketball and volleyball player. The parents pay $$$$ for her to play in all these tourneys and on club softball teams. That club has tried and tried to get her to not play the other sports. Luckily the mom is a skeptic. The dad (a very good friend of mine) has bought in hook-line-sinker to this softball coach being the only way his girl can get a softball scholly. Girl was a starter on the volleyball team and is a starter on the top 5 basketball team as a sophomore.

My neighbor across the street is a Club Softball coach. Every time I've talked to the guy he proceeds to tell me all about the girls on his team going D1.

7 on 7 is good for developing certain receiving skills and passing concepts/ spacing
They are also good for developing some quarterback skills, footwork, throwing mechanics no rush of course- no pressure

But it doesn’t simulate the full game
Most teams will run a 5 man under cover 2 defense which isn’t what most high schools will run in the fall- teams would run off all your linebackers and d backs and then run the ball right underneath it

A lot of college coaches scoff at 7 on 7 and dont want to hear about it or see the film
See David Shaw Stanford
I believe the OP is talking about the corruption of the coaches on 7v7 teams and wondered whether or not it was getting to the level of the AAU basketball scene, which is enormously corrupt, not about whether the 7v7 game is good for 11 man football skills wise.

Reactions: SOHusker11
From what I hear from my friends who coach hs football in Florida

7 on 7 football is not held in nearly the high esteem 5 on 5 aau basketball is.

Many college coaches don’t seem to give much care about 7 on 7 touch football

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT