ADVERTISEMENT

Are any of the players even suspects or just witnesses

elvis1403

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 14, 2004
Whats going on here??? The police haven't named a suspect - they told our guys they should be fine and that everything happened was consensual ?? sounds like he wasnt involved or our players?? did it just happen at their house??

Also if our guys are not suspects why the hell did the police feel the need to name them and associate our team with this sh*t??

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-home-tommy-armstrong-jr-nebraska-cornhuskers

Whats going on here??? The police haven't named a suspect - they told our guys they should be fine and that everything happened was consensual ?? sounds like he wasnt involved or our players?? did it just happen at their house??

Also if our guys are not suspects why the hell did the police feel the need to name them and associate our team with this sh*t??

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-home-tommy-armstrong-jr-nebraska-cornhuskers
It creates press. Just like the headlines. "Alleged rape occurs at Armstrong's home".

Reactions: elvis1403

So it is now the police's fault that the media found out about the story and ran with it, for no reason other than the fact of where this alleged crime occurred. Please. I didn't see LPD running to have a press conference about this, I see newspaper reporters who got wind of it, and didn't want to be last to report a possible BIG STORY!!!!!!!!

To show how out of control this has gotten, it's now the top story on the San Antonio (KSAT) news' website.

TA is from the area, as an FYI.

Reactions: elvis1403

Bro, your reading skills need a brush up. Couple of things. Tommy claims the police told them they should be fine. He's also the one who said it was consensual. I'm not calling him a liar, I have no idea what happened and certainly hope no one got raped, but the POLICE haven't said anything close to that. The police haven't made a comment, other than the a rape was reported and they're investigating. the police didn't name Tommy or Jordan. They haven't named a suspect. The Omaha World Herald figured out the address of the home where the alleged raped occurred was Tommy and Jordan's.

Reactions: ichawk24
I found the "everything was consensual" comment to be a bit strange, as well as the fact that Riley didn't know until today. You'd think police coming to your house to interview you about a rape would be something you'd tell your coaches about - especially if you are innocent.

I found the "everything was consensual" comment to be a bit strange, as well as the fact that Riley didn't know until today. You'd think police coming to your house to interview you about a rape would be something you'd tell your coaches about - especially if you are innocent.
If I wasn't involved, why would I run and tell the coaches? Now if I thought it would get out and be a story maybe I would. But who knows what Tommy thought would happen? I don't know what he was thinking, and since it was more than one football player (westy as well) and they were told not to worry about it...

Are you thinking this is a big coverup or something?

If the Guys are just possible witnesses the credibility of the journalist needs to be investigated
For what reason? Journalists report the news. The fact that something like this may have happened at the star QB's house would suggest its a newsworthy story. The journalist made it clear Tommy and Jordan weren't suspects either. How is his credibility in question for reporting the news? And does the San Antonio press also need to have their credibility questioned now for making it heir lead story online?

If I wasn't involved, why would I run and tell the coaches? Now if I thought it would get out and be a story maybe I would. But who knows what Tommy thought would happen? I don't know what he was thinking, and since it was more than one football player (westy as well) and they were told not to worry about it...

He's involved. Even if he's not a suspect, he's involved. The incident happened at his house. He appears to know who the girl is and who the guy accused is. He should have told the coaches. A girl claims she got raped at your house and you're a college athlete, you damn sure better be telling the coaches. Riley agrees. His comment about "I wish I had known sooner" is a pretty big indicator he's not happy it took two days to get back to him.

He's involved. Even if he's not a suspect, he's involved. The incident happened at his house. He appears to know who the girl is and who the guy accused is. He should have told the coaches. A girl claims she got raped at your house and you're a college athlete, you damn sure better be telling the coaches. Riley agrees. His comment about "I wish I had known sooner" is a pretty big indicator he's not happy it took two days to get back to him.
You very well may be right. And I do agree he / they should have told the coaches. Why they didn't could point to some sort of coverup on their part, or it could be stupidity in thinking it wouldn't get back to the coaches. I don't know why they didn't say anything to the coaches. Hopefully things all work out but there's still a lot that can come out.

I agree 110%.

You very well may be right. And I do agree he / they should have told the coaches. Why they didn't could point to some sort of coverup on their part, or it could be stupidity in thinking it wouldn't get back to the coaches. I don't know why they didn't say anything to the coaches. Hopefully things all work out but there's still a lot that can come out.

I don't think it's a "coverup." I'm sure it's a matter of Tommy being afraid of what might happen if he goes and tells the coaches there was a party at his house and now some girl claims she got raped. The coaches are basically his parents when he's at Nebraska and I sure wouldn't want to tell my dad that story. The problem is, he's not 17 or 18. He's old enough that he should have known this wasn't going to stay quiet. But more to the point, he's involved one way or the other. I don't buy the officer told him he was "probably fine" and he suddenly thought it was all going to blow over. He might have hoped that, but I doubt he really believed it.

Reactions: timnsun

No,, and I don't think Tommy was directly involved. But police coming to your house to interview you is a pretty big deal, and Tommy knows that he is the face of the program - how does it not occur to him to tell the coach that he was interviewed about a rape at his house? That's a pretty serious matter. Saying he heard it was consensual implies that he knows something, I don't think he'd say that if he didn't know the person being accused. Regardless, it's very irresponsible to tell the media that he thinks the girl is lying about being raped.

I just know that if I'm interviewed about a crime that occurred at my house and I'm the QB for Nebraska, the coach is the 2nd person I'm going to call (after my parents). Certainly, I would talk to coach before I would talk with the Omaha World-Herald.

Last edited:
Sometimes I give the benefit of the doubt too much. You guys make good points here, and I can't argue against them.

So it is now the police's fault that the media found out about the story and ran with it, for no reason other than the fact of where this alleged crime occurred. Please. I didn't see LPD running to have a press conference about this, I see newspaper reporters who got wind of it, and didn't want to be last to report a possible BIG STORY!!!!!!!!
The police and the Press are complicit in issues such as these, make no mistake about it and this isn't simply a University of Nebraska Football issue ...

No,, and I don't think Tommy was directly involved. But police coming to your house to interview you is a pretty big deal, and Tommy knows that he is the face of the program - how does it not occur to him to tell the coach that he was interviewed about a rape at his house? That's a pretty serious matter. Saying he heard it was consensual is basically accusing the girl of lying and implies that he knows the accused (could very well be a teammate that doesn't live with him). I don't think many people go to the hospital after consensual sex.

I just know that if I'm interviewed about a crime that occurred at my house and I'm the QB for Nebraska, the coach is the 2nd person I'm going to call (after my parents). Certainly, I would talk to coach before I would talk with the Omaha World-Herald.
Give it an f in break. This is a NON issue!

Sometimes I give the benefit of the doubt too much. You guys make good points here, and I can't argue against them.
The one thing I don't like is that then didn't say anything. That make me feel as if this story is bigger then we know so far.
During Riley's interview, he specifically said its early in the process, and that he has no say in any of this. Also, it seemed as if he implied that he hasn't talked to any of them about directly yet.
This is looking bad in my opinion. I really don't like that no one has been pointed to as the culprit yet.

The one thing I don't like is that then didn't say anything. That make me feel as if this story is bigger then we know so far.
During Riley's interview, he specifically said its early in the process, and that he has no say in any of this. Also, it seemed as if he implied that he hasn't talked to any of them about directly yet.
This is looking bad in my opinion. I really don't like that no one has been pointed to as the culprit yet.
As I read the story the "culprit" was already identified and spoken to. Was I wrong about this?

No names have been given, but that doesn't mean the primary suspect hasn't already been identified and spoken to.

Reactions: 94husker
The police and the Press are complicit in issues such as these, make no mistake about it and this isn't simply a University of Nebraska Football issue ...

Police AND?

complicit

[kuh m-plis-it]

adjective
choosing to be involved in an illegal or questionable act, especially withothers; having complicity.

Huh-sheldon.gif

tumblr_inline_nojo9w9rx81rbra2d_500.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: resdog851
As I read the story the "culprit" was already identified and spoken to. Was I wrong about this?

No names have been given, but that doesn't mean the primary suspect hasn't already been identified and spoken to.
From what I've gathered there is no real description of the incident at all. No numbers involved, just what Tommy said. There could have been one person accused or multiple people accused, it's hard to say.

From what I've gathered there is no real description of the incident at all. No numbers involved, just what Tommy said. There could have been one person accused or multiple people accused, it's hard to say.
This is from the article... "The woman told police she knows the suspect, and police spokeswoman Katie Flood said that person has been contacted."

This seems pretty clear to me that there was only one person involved and he has been contacted by the police. They obviously are protecting his identity for now, but they know who allegedly did it.

Reactions: 94husker
I understand that this is a fan message board, but with all due respect, are you nuts? The biggest concern is calling the coach? If I am a young man and there is an accusation that a violent felony occurred in my home, my first call is to an attorney. Sex Assault can carry a potential punishment of decades in prison plus sex offender registration. Even if the young man had nothing to do with the crime and is only a witness, talking to anyone without counsel carries risks. That includes his coach.

I understand that this is a fan message board, but with all due respect, are you nuts? The biggest concern is calling the coach? If I am a young man and there is an accusation that a violent felony occurred in my home, my first call is to an attorney. Sex Assault can carry a potential punishment of decades in prison plus sex offender registration. Even if the young man had nothing to do with the crime and is only a witness, talking to anyone without counsel carries risks. That includes his coach.
I think people are just confused as to why it took until Tuesday for Riley to find out. From what I read, he found out just before a staff meeting. Someone pulled him out of it to tell him.

"I don't know why that person said that," Armstrong said of the accuser. "We're confused about the whole situation. From what we're hearing, everything was consensual."

(From what we're hearing everything was consensual) = this statement INDICATES HE WASN'T INVOLVED otherwise he would have said " I know or though it was consensual. otherwise he would speak from the first person like - I told them it was consensual.

ALSO IT EXPLAINS WHY HE DIDN'T TELL THE COACHES THAT THE POLICE CAME -- the police told him they believe it was consensual.

I hope the real person who did this is exposed and our players are vindicated completely. This is the real problem with this article, its so poorly written its difficult to tell.

Reactions: MichHusker
Elvis, For the sake of discussion, let's say it was consensual. Somebody is lying and I hope that person gets what the law dishes out. Given that, why wouldn't TA inform Riley?

I can just see Riley & TA exchanging pleasantries, "Hey Tommy, how ya doin'?...Fine Coach, not much goin' on, how 'bout you? Aw, same here, sure was a great game huh? Yeah Coach."

If Riley was in fact blindsided, not cool in my book.

I can't understand a claim of rape if it didn't happen, that ruins life.

Not to pile on, but your comment was ill-advised on so many levels. This is a message board so anyone can post their opinions, but that doesn't insulate them (you, in this case) from criticism.

Based on your logic I could post that you traffic in the sale of left-handed hermaphrodites. I need no proof, just my opinion that you have an unnatural hankering for left-handed hermaphrodites. Now disprove it. Get my point?

Reactions: tarheelhusker
TA needs to inform the coaching staff Sunday am.... just another horrendous decision on the part of TA

Reactions: tarheelhusker
I think people are just confused as to why it took until Tuesday for Riley to find out. From what I read, he found out just before a staff meeting. Someone pulled him out of it to tell him.

If the story I heard is true, the World Herald heard it come through on the police scanner and was able to contact Tommy before he could let the coaches know. The coaches found out when the story broke on OWH, before Tommy even had a chance to let the coaches know.

The OWH and LJS listen to the police scanner to get a jump on news. Heck, I listen to it a lot, kind of fun.

TA needs to inform the coaching staff Sunday am.... just another horrendous decision on the part of TA

How so? The girl didn't go to the hospital until after 2pm on Sunday, the earliest Tommy could have found out is late Sunday evening, possibly Monday (or Tuesday).

Riley said the title 9 was involved that is not good even if they didn't do anything.

I could end up being wrong, but this one has the early look of ending up with nothing solved. Doesn't bode well for the full truth ever coming out that there doesn't even seem to be a clear suspect yet.

I don't like this situation one bit. I feel like when the news breaks, it's not going to look good for Nebraska.

For what reason? Journalists report the news. The fact that something like this may have happened at the star QB's house would suggest its a newsworthy story. The journalist made it clear Tommy and Jordan weren't suspects either. How is his credibility in question for reporting the news? And does the San Antonio press also need to have their credibility questioned now for making it heir lead story online?
Headlines trump peoples reputations. Guilt by association.

ADVERTISEMENT