ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody hearing anything about a hoops transfer out?

Jordy's not happy with his development? Well neither are most of the fans that watch him continually make bone-headed plays. Make better decisions, kid, and you won't have to sit on the bench so much.
That's second hand from Washut supposedly so don't read too much in to that. I would be surprised if that's the whole story.

Just find it weird that last year he said he would have transferred if Miles was fired, and now he may leave anyway? What has changed, he seemed to be a big Miles supporter? Also, this hurts us in today's game on the road against an opponent we need to beat. I watched PSU play live earlier this year while at the Nebraska Penn St. Football game and this is a game we could have used Jordy to help contain Watkins down low. He's there only real post player that is consistent. Will be interesting to see how things play out with this one.
I've been a pretty ardent Miles supporter from early on. The one thing I could do without is his singling out players in press conferences. This might be nothing more than a personal spat that can be ironed out. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. We need Jordy if we're going to make any kind of run this year. I can't imagine trying to get a bunch of 18-22 year olds all on the same page playing the right way without some personal issues along they way. It's nothing new but with all the media coverage and social media now it just gets blown way up.

Reactions: Dysfunctional Vet
At what point do we stop ignoring the recurring pattern? There is one constant in all of this.
It's a recurring theme all over college basketball and getting worse in football. We have a generation with a lot of entitled youth who think it's all owed to them. Disrespect them and they pout and quit. If they don't get what they want pout and quit. It's too tough and they pout and quit. Back in the day, the only player on my teams like that was me...:oops:

Reactions: JPR95 and nwualum
There's a perfect solution to the latest episode of this long-running soap opera: winning games.

With Tshimanga, without Tshimanga, don't really care - just win enough games to finish - at a minimum - in the upper half of the conference and not make a quick, cameo appearance in the conference tournament. Time to set some clear expectations and stick to them, regardless of the mix of players involved.

Where does he think he's going to go? High major teams sure aren't going to be falling over themselves for a big, slow guy with limited hops who can't stay out of foul trouble and has well under a 50-50 chance of finishing a post move if defended at all. A transfer means a mid-major at best (probably not even a good group of 5 conference team) or DII. Might as well stay and work on your athleticism and post game. Then again, is the damage already done? Is the team going to accept him back? Will his staying strain what bit of team chemistry Miles finally has in a team? Perhaps time to cut and go, even if it leaves us thin. Perhaps it will prompt Roby to learn to defend the post without fouling.

Not necessarily. We took Duby Okeke, who averaged like 3 points a game at a small mid-major school. Lots of teams will be interested in a 6'11 dude who was a Top 150 player in high school. Remember that James Palmer only averaged 3 points a game at Miami. Like Palmer, many coaches might think that a redshirt year to focus on development would do Jordy a lot of good, especially since he hasn't played basketball for that long.

I just hope that Roby doesn't get frustrated at having to play the 5 so much, like Morrow and Jacobson did last year. Losing Roby would hurt.

It's a recurring theme all over college basketball and getting worse in football. We have a generation with a lot of entitled youth who think it's all owed to them. Disrespect them and they pout and quit. If they don't get what they want pout and quit. It's too tough and they pout and quit. Back in the day, the only player on my teams like that was me...:oops:

True, transfers happen in abundance but people are kidding themselves if they believe Miles can continue to lose regular contributors/starters early and not pay for it. Hell, his overall record at Nebraska should answer that question. It's one thing to lose a Horne or Evelyn and it's another to lose guys like White, Morrow etc....

Jordy wanting to transfer doesn't bug me. If we can't continue to win games without a guy who nearly fouls as much as he does score then we were never going to make a run. It will hurt our depth no doubt...but just about everyone agrees this is Miles most talented and deepest roster. He should still be expected to win games.

True, transfers happen in abundance but people are kidding themselves if they believe Miles can continue to lose regular contributors/starters early and not pay for it. Hell, his overall record at Nebraska should answer that question. It's one thing to lose a Horne or Evelyn and it's another to lose guys like White, Morrow etc....

Jordy wanting to transfer doesn't bug me. If we can't continue to win games without a guy who nearly fouls as much as he does score then we were never going to make a run. It will hurt our depth no doubt...but just about everyone agrees this is Miles most talented and deepest roster. He should still be expected to win games.
Agree. If we're going to be told not to wring our hands or clutch our pearls over roster turnover because that's the norm in this era of college basketball - fine, I'll buy that. But then it also can't be an excuse if the results on the court are not there. With or without Tshimanga, there are a bunch of winnable games on the upcoming schedule. Go get Ws.

Reactions: dinglefritz
With all these transfers under Miles, when is it time for Moos to start to question if it’s Miles fault and not the players? That’s just ridiculous. A) either Miles isn’t recruiting the right kids for his personality/ development b) he’s treating these kids like garbage behind closed doors or c) the best guys on the team aren’t playing enough and it shows in practice... none of which holds well for Miles. I’m actually done with the fire Miles talk. I’m not sure NU can afford anymore dead weight coaching salaries. Let the man finish his contract and cut ties. He’s doing OK this year

My following comments/opinions are not in regards to the JT situation, but just transferring in basketball as a whole.

I used to have the attitude that college players should stick it out and work harder, and not be transferring. I've pretty much done a 180 the older I get, and I don't really even have much of an issue with it down to the high school level, depending on the circumstances.

Basketball is a funny game. There's so many ways to play offense. Add to that every player has a different skill set, different strengths, different weaknesses, and different God given abilities. Some guys get to a place and after a couple of years they realize that they are a square peg, and they don't fit into that coach's round hole.

If you go with the assumption that all players have a chance if they just work hard enough, then you must believe that all coaches are completely objective and completely free of biases, and always make the best decisions. That is not always the case. Coaches are not perfect people. Coaches can have favorites. Some coaches will always fall back on certain measurables which could favor one player over another. Some coaches (even in high school) will make it clear to a player or players at the end of a season that they will never play a significant minutes or play at all (and no amount of off season work on their skills will change their opinions).

College and even high school players can see the writing on the wall, and their playing seasons are limited. There are no mulligans, and they only have one shot at life. If a kid has a goal of playing in college at any level, again if the circumstances are correct, let them transfer somewhere else. Sometimes kids just need a new start somewhere else.

Regarding JT, I obviously don't have all the information, just rumors. He's almost half way through his college playing eligibility. I think Miles has certainly been patient with JT, and has given him ample opportunities. So either JT doesn't have IT yet, doesn't have IT and never will, doesn't get IT, or possibly feels that this staff can't help him get IT.

I think JT has a lot of potential, but I'm not sure how you recover from a situation where you don't go on the road with your team for a potentially winnable conference game. The damage may be done and irreversible.

Interesting comments from Moos about the basketball program. Sounds like he hasn't even talked to Miles yet since he's been here, but was impressed by what he saw at the Wisconsin game. So I doubt he will be making a change this year unless we collapse again like we did the last 3 years.

“I liked our energy, I think we’ve got some real good talent, I thought the game was coached well,” Moos said. “I know we all would like to have less turnovers, but when you start to get a winner’s mentality and you can make mistakes and still come out with a victory, that’s saying a lot.

“It was the first time I’ve seen PBA for a basketball game and I was extremely impressed. Well-staged event, great fans, super support. So I look at our record, look at the conference and, just taking a first brush at it, I feel like we’re in a fairly good place. I’m eager to get some time with (head coach) Tim (Miles) and talk to him about what his thoughts are.”

I am done blaming the players in this particular program.
It's hard to judge him when we don't know the details of the situation that's for sure. I wish for once we would get the honest scoop on what the hell happened here. I suspect that part of the condition of his release is that he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't air dirty laundry. He seems like a good kid but this just seems like an immature thing to do at this point of the season.

Reactions: kikdakan
It's hard to judge him when we don't know the details of the situation that's for sure. I wish for once we would get the honest scoop on what the hell happened here. I suspect that part of the condition of his release is that he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't air dirty laundry. He seems like a good kid but this just seems like an immature thing to do at this point of the season.
At least 2 immature parties, but I am sure the narrative going forward will be to blame the kid. This is not the first or last time the funny guy has run a player off

At least 2 immature parties, but I am sure the narrative going forward will be to blame the kid. This is not the first or last time the funny guy has run a player off
probably right. I've been a Miles booster for a long time, but this one seems like a player has had enough with his coaching. I'm not buying that it's about his "development". Miles joked a while back that his mother asked him "why do you have to swear at your players?". He told her "because it works". Well it may work sometimes for a while but eventually some players get tired of getting screamed and sworn at. Nee used to have the foulest mouth imaginable with his players but they largely tuned it out and I don't think it ever got personal. I'm not sure that's the case with Miles. I cringed when I heard Miles in the postgame earlier this week call out Jordy for a boneheaded play. Do that in the locker room not on the radio. Miles is supposedly an ADHD guy. Those guys tend to say what is on their mind sometimes when it isn't appropriate or necessary to do so.

I'll get behind the theory that transfers are just part of the college basketball landscape and something that every program now has to deal with on a regular basis. So that being the case, Tshimanga's departure absolutely can't be the go-to excuse if this season goes south. Same for all programs, right?

Best of luck to Tshimanga going forward - but I have to wonder if he wouldn't be better off going to Europe and getting his a-- handed to him by professional players for a couple of years, instead of riding out a transfer. If nothing else, he should easily make enough to pay for the rest of his college education. And who knows - maybe that would be a better path to improving his game?

I'll get behind the theory that transfers are just part of the college basketball landscape and something that every program now has to deal with on a regular basis. So that being the case, Tshimanga's departure absolutely can't be the go-to excuse if this season goes south. Same for all programs, right?

Best of luck to Tshimanga going forward - but I have to wonder if he wouldn't be better off going to Europe and getting his a-- handed to him by professional players for a couple of years, instead of riding out a transfer. If nothing else, he should easily make enough to pay for the rest of his college education. And who knows - maybe that would be a better path to improving his game?
It's a little late in the game for him, imo, to be learning how to dribble, jump and shoot. Tim Miles recruited this guy for 2 freaking years, that's on Timmy for not seeing the lack of athleticism and not being able to coach him up.

take your bottle and go cry in the corner Jordy, so you get called out by the coach because you make boneheaded plays, man up, grow a set and try to get better, instead you go cry to mommy that the coach is picking on me. that is the day and age of sports in this era and quite frankly i hate it. back in the day kids didn't get mollycoddled and the coach was respected, now days it's on the coach because he is too hard on the players, and if something happens instead of taking care of buzness they run and blame everyone else. it's just a sick cycle we are in and it sucks. man up brother.

It's a little late in the game for him, imo, to be learning how to dribble, jump and shoot. Tim Miles recruited this guy for 2 freaking years, that's on Timmy for not seeing the lack of athleticism and not being able to coach him up.
I'm not going to bag on Miles for recruiting Tshimanga. Like a lot of other programs, NU isn't likely to attract "turnkey" 7-footers who are ready to compete at a high level, so they have to take a chance on projects like Tshimanga.

Last year I felt like Tshimanga should have either redshirted, or played a whole lot more minutes once the season went south and it was clear NU wasn't going anywhere. As I stated at the time, seeing him ride the bench so much during the final 1/4 of the season didn't make any sense to me. This year is a bit different because the team is deeper and actually playing for something, and I don't feel Tshimanga has done a whole lot to earn his playing time. But the lack of minutes last year may have contributed to that.

I'm not going to bag on Miles for recruiting Tshimanga. Like a lot of other programs, NU isn't likely to attract "turnkey" 7-footers who are ready to compete at a high level, so they have to take a chance on projects like Tshimanga.

Last year I felt like Tshimanga should have either redshirted, or played a whole lot more minutes once the season went south and it was clear NU wasn't going anywhere. As I stated at the time, seeing him ride the bench so much during the final 1/4 of the season didn't make any sense to me. This year is a bit different because the team is deeper and actually playing for something, and I don't feel Tshimanga has done a whole lot to earn his playing time. But the lack of minutes last year may have contributed to that.
Jordy is very likely being a little B. But, how many starters need to transfer before the finger is pointed at the man who has the worst winning % as Husker head coach since Jerry Bush(55 to 63) was in Lincoln.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
take your bottle and go cry in the corner Jordy, so you get called out by the coach because you make boneheaded plays, man up, grow a set and try to get better, instead you go cry to mommy that the coach is picking on me. that is the day and age of sports in this era and quite frankly i hate it. back in the day kids didn't get mollycoddled and the coach was respected, now days it's on the coach because he is too hard on the players, and if something happens instead of taking care of buzness they run and blame everyone else. it's just a sick cycle we are in and it sucks. man up brother.
It is a fact that times are different but I can tell you that 45 years ago I wouldn't have put up with some of the things I see coaches do and say to their players. If he hasn't already Miles needs to go look in the mirror and ask himself why this had to happen. JMHO.

Now talks that Jordy may be staying. He needed a “mental break.” I’m guessing he realized how idiotic it would be to transfer at this time of year.
I don't know whether that's good or bad for this year. One has to wonder what this does to team morale either way. Glad he may stay but the dynamics are interesting if he does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT