ADVERTISEMENT

Any Portal news????

mrruffin10

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 18, 2018
I have yet to hear Nebraska’s name in regard to any grad transfers? There are legit all conference players and top 100 players on the move.

We need to bolster our WRs and RBs (if Mills is gone)

Is CTB leaving, too?

We need to bolster our WRs and RBs (if Mills is gone)

Is CTB leaving, too?

CTB could benefit staying one more year. He was starting to get notoriety late in the season. His case could be similar to Suh, turned it on late in their junior season and came back to dominate and raise their draft stock in his senior season.

Anyone else tired if reading about "pass rushers" and never seeing one on the field?

What ever happened to the kid from Iowa? Gunnerson or something like that?
Freshman that battled injuries IIRC. Needs more weight room.

Anyone else tired if reading about "pass rushers" and never seeing one on the field?

What ever happened to the kid from Iowa? Gunnerson or something like that?
Was injured and missed his junior year. Had a good senior year, entered Nebraska last winter and had a surgery. Something to do with growth plates in pelvis I believe. Spent the last year recovering and getting stronger. He'll be a dude. Big, strong, fast and with a relentless motor.

Held has 6 of his hand picked RBs on the roster? they all have multiple yrs in the system. Why in the world would they need another RB? they arguably have too many already

I’d take Pledger in a heartbeat. Or someone of his caliber. We look like a team trying to have an identity of running the ball. If Mills leaves, we don’t have any proven runners.

We don’t have a proven back because we haven’t really allowed our young RBs to play... we seen Scott and some RT but I don’t really recall seeing any others, nor do I recall seeing us give them an opportunity to actually get in the groove of the game, you can’t give a back a handful of carries a year and say that’s all you need to see... I swear every year I see people wanting to bury our young kids before they get a chance to prove themselves, then you wonder why the young ones transfer... I agree if there is big time talent in the portal, you put feelers out there, if they wanna come ok, but I don’t think one year of a transfer is worth it when you have some highly recruited kids waitin for their chance... yes you can get burned by that I know but that’s a gamble you have to take...

Last edited:
We do don’t have a proven back because we haven’t really allowed our young RBs to play... we seen Scott and some RT some but I don’t really recall seeing any others, nor do I recall seeing us give them an opportunity to actually get in the groove of the game, you can’t give a back a handful of carries a year and say that’s all you need to see... I swear every year I see people wanting to bury our young kids before they get a chance to prove themselves, then you wonder why the young ones transfer... I agree if there is big time talent in the portal, you put feelers out there, if they wanna come ok, but I don’t think one year of a transfer is worth it when you have some highly recruited kids waitin for their chance... yes you can get burned by that I know but that’s a gamble you have to take...
Bottom line is someone emerges in practice and then needs a chance to get into a groove. That can be two guys at most IMO. 3 or 4 others are disappointed or will put in the work until it is their time. A few will bail too soon.

Reactions: Clemke32
A runner always emerges. I am concerned by the number of injuries despite light work for most of them. What gives?
Sh## happens to RBs. It's why you really need 5 capable scholarship RBs plus a walk or two who can play. I could be wrong, but I think the length of the fall and then a lack of a bye week late both contributed to having so many guys out at the end. Thank goodness Mills came back strong late in the year.

Reactions: ATX Husker
We don’t have a proven back because we haven’t really allowed our young RBs to play... we seen Scott and some RT but I don’t really recall seeing any others, nor do I recall seeing us give them an opportunity to actually get in the groove of the game, you can’t give a back a handful of carries a year and say that’s all you need to see... I swear every year I see people wanting to bury our young kids before they get a chance to prove themselves, then you wonder why the young ones transfer... I agree if there is big time talent in the portal, you put feelers out there, if they wanna come ok, but I don’t think one year of a transfer is worth it when you have some highly recruited kids waitin for their chance... yes you can get burned by that I know but that’s a gamble you have to take...
When you only get 60+ or so snaps like we did in some games and don't run it 90% of the time like Tom used to, it's tough to get young guys a ton of carries. Frost traditionally with his offense hasn't ridden one back hard like Tom and Frank did.

When you only get 60+ or so snaps like we did in some games and don't run it 90% of the time like Tom used to, it's tough to get young guys a ton of carries. Frost traditionally with his offense hasn't ridden one back hard like Tom and Frank did.
The major programs find their thoroughbred and put the team on his shoulders. If he goes down, it is next man up.

The major programs find their thoroughbred and put the team on his shoulders. If he goes down, it is next man up.
Even Bama rations carries to some degree. Bama just got the commitment from a 5 star top rated RB in the country. We haven't gotten a guy like that since Tom was coaching.

Reactions: headcard
Kind of like we did with Mills at Rutgers. I think the desire was there to ride Mills. The problem has been his physical health this season. Mills is a really good back and I expect him to be on an NFL roster somewhere. It isn't unusual that there's a drop off after him.

Was injured and missed his junior year. Had a good senior year, entered Nebraska last winter and had a surgery. Something to do with growth plates in pelvis I believe. Spent the last year recovering and getting stronger. He'll be a dude. Big, strong, fast and with a relentless motor.
Nebraska under Frost has a history of taking recruits who were injured in high school and need recovery after they arrive in Lincoln. We rave about them not really knowing what we really have. So far the only one of these players that have come in and contributed is AM2. That injury seems to keep coming back to bed problem for him.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Someone made an important point..that NU needs to know who returning and who isn’t. Dont you think they already have that figured out? some will be “encouraged” to leave. Some will be encouraged to stay. I believe they have a good handle on who is retuning by now with the exception of maybe one person.

Nebraska under Frost has a history of taking recruits who were injured in high school and need recovery after they arrive in Lincoln. We rave about them not really knowing what we really have. So far the only one of these players that have come in and contributed is AM2. That injury seems to keep coming back to bed problem for him.
You can't have a Dr. examine them before you sign them so you're going to run in to that some times. Some of the guys like Thompkins have such a high upside that it's worth taking a risk on them.

Someone made an important point..that NU needs to know who returning and who isn’t. Dont you think they already have that figured out? some will be “encouraged” to leave. Some will be encouraged to stay. I believe they have a good handle on who is retuning by now with the exception of maybe one person.
The processing has already started. Wilson leaving was your first sign. All they had to do was run Hixson out there when they pulled Piper. Now maybe Wilson was injured too but he's hardly played for a month.

What is this history of taking inured recruits? Only ones I can think of are AM, Thompkins and Gunnerson. 3 in 4 classes isn’t really a big history to me.

Because they are all unproven.

A big “LOL” at this logic. Why even recruit high school players at any position then?? Just go get 1 and done transfers every year then because high school players are all “unproven”.

More than one of those guys will step up and be our workhorse, IF the rest of the offense provides. People need to chill and let it play out.

A big “LOL” at this logic. Why even recruit high school players at any position then?? Just go get 1 and done transfers every year then because high school players are all “unproven”.

More than one of those guys will step up and be our workhorse, IF the rest of the offense provides. People need to chill and let it play out.

I hope they step up but I care about having the best man for the job on hand. If we can get someone better than what we have then so be it. If we can’t, then let’s ride with what we got.

The question is NFL Chicago Bears makes the most sense but you would think the line in the Citrus bowl would no longer favor NW by 3.5 points...

You think Chicago goes after Fitz?

I like Fitz and I could be wrong, but I don’t see him as a good fit in the nfl

You think Chicago goes after Fitz?

I like Fitz and I could be wrong, but I don’t see him as a good fit in the nfl

The Chicago Bears would be one job he would leave NW for..

Other wise if some other college team wanted him he would have already been hired by them by now..

I hope they step up but I care about having the best man for the job on hand. If we can get someone better than what we have then so be it. If we can’t, then let’s ride with what we got.
That logic sounds fine and Frost has made it clear that he's always trying to recruit over the players he has. BUT it's not always easy to project what a kid will do when he gets to your program. IF it were a slam dunk Bama wouldn't have so many 4 stars flame out or transfer.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT