ADVERTISEMENT

Anxiously Awaiting Hoiberg Announcement

Kansas and Creighton have many things going for them, not the least are bagmen....

Granted NU will not get the top players without a winning history. Suspect the high school BB in Nebraska is not the best so there is that. But if Kansas, Creighton, and Iowa can get talent?????

There is high school talent coming out of Nebraska.....They are just avoiding the Huskers like the plague it is!

Granted, I am not a BB fan but do enjoy the March Madness games. Husker BB has to be at or near the absolute bottom when it comes to college basketball and sadly has been for years now. Coaches come and go and the same result. Has to be the players. Granted NU will not get the top players without a winning history. Suspect the high school BB in Nebraska is not the best so there is that. But if Kansas, Creighton, and Iowa can get talent?????

The high school talent in Nebraska is the best it's ever been. Sallis, Hepburn, Traudt, Murrell, Green, Mitchell are all high-major talents. They all chose other schools. Baylor Scheierman at SDSU is another guy that is good enough to play in a major conference.

You also had players like Justin Patton, Akoy Agau, Mike Daum, Tyler Hagedorn, Mike Gesell, and Ed Chang that the last staff whiffed or passed on.

But if Kansas, Creighton, and Iowa can get talent?????
Ummm...those three schools all have a basketball history. KU has won more games than any school in the history of the game not named Kentucky (and may catch them this year). Creighton is only a basketball school. Iowa has had much success in basketball back in the Tom Davis days and before. You can't compare those schools just based on geography or being similar land grant institutions (not including Creighton). That would be like saying, "well if Nebraska can be great in football, why can't Kansas?" You're comparing apples to oranges based on LOTS of history.

Chuck Jura, Bob Grattop, Dale Haase, Bob Siegel, Fred Hare....all stayed home...

HOWEVER...

Gene Harmon, Tom Kropp, kids who played at KU....NOT ALL STAYED HOME...

Ummm...those three schools all have a basketball history. KU has won more games than any school in the history of the game not named Kentucky (and may catch them this year). Creighton is only a basketball school. Iowa has had much success in basketball back in the Tom Davis days and before. You can't compare those schools just based on geography or being similar land grant institutions (not including Creighton). That would be like saying, "well if Nebraska can be great in football, why can't Kansas?" You're comparing apples to oranges based on LOTS of history.
Iowa is not a land grant university, that would be Ames.

zzeHUKVwgTFcbh_lYO1D-BmJbOZ3e4j2bfVkosTGSEgTJYD8tGbvHjXWkU8v-1YSZSacdW28yrR8IpF-ZuffUwrgC_zg4g=s1024

Granted, I am not a BB fan but do enjoy the March Madness games. Husker BB has to be at or near the absolute bottom when it comes to college basketball and sadly has been for years now. Coaches come and go and the same result. Has to be the players. Granted NU will not get the top players without a winning history. Suspect the high school BB in Nebraska is not the best so there is that. But if Kansas, Creighton, and Iowa can get talent?????
Nebraska BB is a serial looser and Hoiberg is the latest victim in a long, long line of victims

I remember Danny Nee having some good clubs in Lincoln. Went to "the dance" several times and won the NIT. It can be done. But changing coaches every half-decade isn't the formula.

Reactions: Bugeater
Lol...... Hoiberg ain't no victim.
We've never been this bad. I think that's the worst part about this Fred era, people believing this level of suck is normal. I'm not for changing coaches all the time but Fred has not out coached anybody.

If trev pulls the trigger and fires Fred should Trev go after coach Mac?

Well year, but why on earth would he leave Creighton to come here? Might as well just offer Dana Altman $7 million/year if we're going to go big.

A more realistic candidate would be DeVries from Drake...he coached under both Altman and Mac at Creighton. Plus he could bring his son who's a Freshman at Drake and is their leading scorer.

Fred should just take his money and run. Hard to believe he made Nebraska basketball worse but he took a 19 win team and made them into a 5 win team. What a terrible coach.

Take the money and run? Trev doesn't exactly have a spare $18.5 million lying around these days....

Hoiberg couldn't land traudt by himself and didn't offer chucky and sallis immediately, that's all u need to know.

Don't let us down. We need to start recruiting HS and Grad Transfer recruits asap.
If we aren’t going to pay the $20 million buyout for our FB coach after 4 miserable seasons we sure as hell aren’t going to pay a $18 mil buyout for 3 miserable years of basketball. We have tradition in FB. We’ve always been average or below in basketball.

Edit…forgot….TO has no direct ties to Fred…so maybe it will happen.

Don't let us down. We need to start recruiting HS and Grad Transfer recruits asap.
Who’s been worse, Fred or Frost? One took a historically putrid program and made it worse. The other took a historically strong program and made something b/w pathetic and below average.

In either case bill m and fan blind spots has lead to pretty much disastrous results

Well year, but why on earth would he leave Creighton to come here? Might as well just offer Dana Altman $7 million/year if we're going to go big.

A more realistic candidate would be DeVries from Drake...he coached under both Altman and Mac at Creighton. Plus he could bring his son who's a Freshman at Drake and is their leading scorer.

Devries is holding out for the Iowa job after D-Bag Fran leaves

If we aren’t going to pay the $20 million buyout for our FB coach after 4 miserable seasons we sure as hell aren’t going to pay a $18 mil buyout for 3 miserable years of basketball. We have tradition in FB. We’ve always been average or below in basketball.

Edit…forgot….TO has no direct ties to Fred…so maybe it will happen.
There are reasons aside from money to give Frost another year, none of which apply to Hoiberg:

1) I know it’s become a meme at this point to even mention this, but yes the football team was close. Truly one of the oddest seasons ever. Advanced metrics had us as a good team. We played a tough schedule and pissed just about every loss down our leg at the end.

Basketball team has lost some close games, but most bad basketball teams do. It’s the nature of the sport. We’ve lost to horrible teams, we’ve lost games by 30, the recruiting can’t get any better (I mean we already have a 5 star and that ain’t working). There’s no reason for optimism.

2) Offensive coaching overhaul gives fans another reason to have hope for next year, meaning fan disinterest won’t be a problem for the school’s pocket books (as long as we don’t start the season horribly).

The hoops team will be hearing crickets in the arena next year if Hoiberg is back. I don’t know what kind of profit they normally turn, but it won’t be half that next year with Hoiberg.

3) Frost is a local hero, and yes that matters. Not to say only locals can have success here, but having a HC that would stay at Nebraska no matter how successful he becomes is a huge plus. Want to absolutely make sure it’s not gonna work before we kick him to the curb.

So yes, the contract renegotiation for Frost was definitely helpful in keeping him another year, but it’s not the only reason. For Hoiberg, money would be the only reason to keep him. Is that reason enough? We’ll see what Trev thinks.

I continue to be baffled beyond belief by the Fredness of basketball… I don’t think he has forgotten what it takes , and it COULDNT have all been his assistants

I continue to be baffled beyond belief by the Fredness of basketball… I don’t think he has forgotten what it takes , and it COULDNT have all been his assistants
Last night was another one of the head scratchers. Playing Tominaga heavy minutes late and the kid gets a really bad technical foul...and he stays in the game. Yeah he buried some shots but man. Another missed opportunity on the road. Led by 6 late and lose by 6. Sigh.

Last night was another one of the head scratchers. Playing Tominaga heavy minutes late and the kid gets a really bad technical foul...and he stays in the game. Yeah he buried some shots but man. Another missed opportunity on the road. Led by 6 late and lose by 6. Sigh.
Imo, KT made a couple dumb mistakes but his good outweighed it this time. I wish the kid could play pg because KW isn't one and AV has issues. It's hard to watch Kobe playing the point when he doesn't know how to run a fast break or dribble in traffic. Kobe is just an undersized wing player imo. Hard to believe this far in Fred can't find a pg to run his offense because if we did we win that game.

Imo, KT made a couple dumb mistakes but his good outweighed it this time. I wish the kid could play pg because KW isn't one and AV has issues. It's hard to watch Kobe playing the point when he doesn't know how to run a fast break or dribble in traffic. Kobe is just an undersized wing player imo. Hard to believe this far in Fred can't find a pg to run his offense because if we did we win that game.
It's like the basketball team has absorbed the late game collapses of the football team. They keep putting themselves in a spot to win and can't finish. due to a dumb turnover, bad shot or just bad luck. Michigan jacks a 3 and instead of getting a shot at tying or winning the game in the last 40 seconds, the ball bounces 30 feet off the rim right to a Michigan player. We're cursed.

I don’t think Tominaga should be on the roster but he had his best minutes of the season at Michigan. It was the one time all year that I wasn’t mystified by Tominaga being in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT