ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Reid - ridiculous.

UNCHUSKER

Senior
Nov 20, 2001
2nd and goal at the 4 - after a timeout no less - he doesn’t even have Kelce on the field. Then he doesn’t run the ball and Blake Bell didn’t even go out on the play. WTF? If you don’t want to score then do a QB sneak. After the end of first half dumb play calls he outdid himself in the second half.

Also - I Wonder who’s decision it was to draft
Clyde Edwards Helaire Instead Of Jonathan Taylor.

Pissed away a dynasty

2nd and goal at the 4 - after a timeout no less - he doesn’t even have Kelce on the field. Then he doesn’t run the ball and Blake Bell didn’t even go out on the play. WTF? If you don’t want to score then do a QB sneak. After the end of first half dumb play calls he outdid himself in the second half.

Also - I Wonder who’s decision it was to draft
Clyde Edwards Helaire Instead Of Jonathan Taylor.

Pissed away a dynasty
As good as Andy Reid can be, he leaves a lot to be desired too. He really mismanaged that second half as you mentioned. Should have gotten points at the end of the first half too. Take that easy three.

As good as Andy Reid can be, he leaves a lot to be desired too. He really mismanaged that second half as you mentioned. Should have gotten points at the end of the first half too. Take that easy three.
I think a quick hitter would’ve been a fine play call with 5 seconds left. The prior play only took 4 seconds.

The problem was Mahomes checked down to a player not in the end zone, which may or may not have been Reid’s fault.

I think a quick hitter would’ve been a fine play call with 5 seconds left. The prior play only took 4 seconds.

The problem was Mahomes checked down to a player not in the end zone, which may or may not have been Reid’s fault.
Even then, you get that guy the ball on the edge and you have to like his odds to get into the endzone. I would have probably kicked the field goal there.

Even then, you get that guy the ball on the edge and you have to like his odds to get into the endzone. I would have probably kicked the field goal there.
Yeah, some coaches let analytics get in the way of the right decision. Math says going for the TD gives you the best probability of winning, but the math can’t comprehend human emotion.

The Chiefs handed Cincy a feel good moment right before half, which is what they needed. A FG would’ve been a small win for Cincy, but the stop was a huge one.

The end of the first half wasn’t either go for the TD or kick a field goal. There was time for both - if you execute it right. Hill was a decoy, the ball was supposed to go to the end zone but the Bengals covered it. Then Mahomes dumped it to Hill instead of throwing it away.

It was his first bad play of the game. There would be many more, enough to lose the game.

This all answers the questions, why would anyone want to be a coach. Darned if you do and darned if you don't.

I suspect we are going to see the same second guessing frequently this next year with Whips calling plays and his "do what they don't expect you to do" basis.

There is a lot that goes on in those situations, coaches in the booth make a call, the O coordinator and HC talk it over in just a few seconds and then relay it to the QB who then likely calls two plays depending on what the D does. Then they line up and read the D, the D changes and the QB changes, but it might be too late. There is just a ton going on. If only it was so easy.

I always have to ask this question and I never get an answer when "bad plays" are called. Was it the play that was sent in or the play the QB decided to check in to, was it poor execution or did the D just adjust to the point there was no way that play was going to work?

I love Mahomes, he has injected a lot of fun into watching the NFL. Having said that, I kinda wish Cincy had fallen on his fumble at the end of regulation. He deserved to lose that game on that play the way he was running around in circles like a moron. There is a time to freelance and there's a time to check your progressions and throw the ball out of bounds. I know that he makes those plays all the time, and I don't want him to stop; but in THAT situation it just seemed crazy.

I love Mahomes, he has injected a lot of fun into watching the NFL. Having said that, I kinda wish Cincy had fallen on his fumble at the end of regulation. He deserved to lose that game on that play the way he was running around in circles like a moron. There is a time to freelance and there's a time to check your progressions and throw the ball out of bounds. I know that he makes those plays all the time, and I don't want him to stop; but in THAT situation it just seemed crazy.
So you like him but he should stop being him?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Maturing to know when to be the creative athletic QB and when to be the smart and live for the next play QB, which he has both in him is going to be his off season challenge. He stepped up big with patience during the season. He learns from the current all time elite QB’s on when the flush the play to avoid the big negative, he will be exponentially better, a very scary thing for the NFL.

My dad referred to it as pulling a Martinez.

I think he matured that way somewhat this year. Rather than throwing out of bounds, he throws it at their feet.

His best impression of Fran Tarkenton is too risky. Chiefs are going to be helped out immensely by getting a legit number two receiver with some size. I hope they draft the guy from USC. They've got way too many journeymen receivers. I'd probably move on from Clyde Edwards Hellaire too.

Reactions: mgbreis
Little bit of playground hero ball. Heroics against Bills did not help his grasp of reality.
I get it on a blown up 3rd down when you need to keep the play alive. The problem is, it has worked enough, that it has become a crutch . Those recievers couldnt get open in the normal window of time, and Mahomes couldnt escape long enough to give them time to get open. I Like Reid. I believe the talent in KC was through the roof. Those guys may have been making more things work than it seems. The creating going on by the players, in spite of the plays, has been a huge part of the success they have seen as of late. Off script QB runs and busted pass plays saved by receivers bailing out and getting back to the quarterback have helped them win a lot of games.

Reactions: mgbreis and WHCSC
I think the end of the first half was on Mahomes; the 2nd half on Reid.

I'm not sure if Mahomes changed the last play of the first half at the LOS, or if Hill was his last read on a play that could take no more than 4 seconds to run. In any case, it looked like Mahomes spent the entire 2nd half trying to atone for that screw-up at the end of the 1st. He was completely off - and he said in his presser that Cincinnati was not doing anything differently in the 2nd half than they were in the first.

At the end of regulation, it felt like Reid was more concerned with leaving as little time as possible on the clock than he was with getting a TD. The TD should have been the priority.

I think the end of the first half was on Mahomes; the 2nd half on Reid.

I'm not sure if Mahomes changed the last play of the first half at the LOS, or if Hill was his last read on a play that could take no more than 4 seconds to run. In any case, it looked like Mahomes spent the entire 2nd half trying to atone for that screw-up at the end of the 1st. He was completely off - and he said in his presser that Cincinnati was not doing anything differently in the 2nd half than they were in the first.

At the end of regulation, it felt like Reid was more concerned with leaving as little time as possible on the clock than he was with getting a TD. The TD should have been the priority.
Agree. Seemed like they thought a TD was a foregone conclusion. The fans I was watching with were positive they would score a TD. Than they win the OT coin flip and they celebrated again like it was over.

So you like him but he should stop being him?
Is that what I wrote? Because I thought this is what I wrote: "I don't want him to stop; but in THAT situation it just seemed crazy."

He's experienced enough to know that it was stupid to risk losing the game when they were already set up to kick the field goal and go to overtime. Someone above said it better than me, he's too comfortable doing stupid stuff.

Reactions: WHCSC
Is that what I wrote? Because I thought this is what I wrote: "I don't want him to stop; but in THAT situation it just seemed crazy."

He's experienced enough to know that it was stupid to risk losing the game when they were already set up to kick the field goal and go to overtime. Someone above said it better than me, he's too comfortable doing stupid stuff.
I missed the part about not wanting him to stop. It looks maddening at times, but they have made their living off extending plays and on some of those he really had no choice. Too much pressure.

Reactions: mgbreis
I missed the part about not wanting him to stop. It looks maddening at times, but they have made their living off extending plays and on some of those he really had no choice. Too much pressure.
You're absolutely right, and I realize I'm probably dumb for criticizing him on that play when I love all of his crazy play at other times. I just couldn't believe what I was watching as it unfolded and then I saw the fumble. For a split second it looked like it might end up being one of the worst plays in history. I was basically standing on the chair screaming "throw it away!" LOL

Reactions: WHCSC
At the end Mahomes made a good throw, Bengals DB made a hell of a play and the underneath guy just was in the lucky spot. Shit happens, Mahomes has been in 4 straight AFC title games and the two he lost were in OT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT