ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama five 5* recruits

And i 100% agree with Lemming above, if Callahan would of fired his whole defensive staff and hired a proven top notice staff, hed been here a long time. And yes i remember the year he got fired, we had a top 10 if not a top 5 recruiting class and we where in on a bunch of top guys. I would of killed to keep those guys we had, because everyone of them panned out at the school they switched too.

You troll. Expect to get called out.
Not going to close my eyes and think happy thoughts like you want me too. Sorry Bob Ross was wrong when he said, "There are no mistakes...just happy little accidents."

Just the ones you don't like..... gotcha
Hmm, not what I said, I answered your question, which was kind of a dumb question. Heck, even if I answered, no, just the ones I like, that's probably more accurate than 100% of the teams lol.

And i 100% agree with Lemming above, if Callahan would of fired his whole defensive staff and hired a proven top notice staff, hed been here a long time. And yes i remember the year he got fired, we had a top 10 if not a top 5 recruiting class and we where in on a bunch of top guys. I would of killed to keep those guys we had, because everyone of them panned out at the school they switched too.
Tom wouldn't let him fire his defensive staff. He was done the minute Osborne took the AD job.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Tom wouldn't let him fire his defensive staff. He was done the minute Osborne took the AD job.
Lies. Osborne told him exactly what he had to do to keep his job when Osborne came in. When were these firings supposed to take place? Was he going to fire the whole defensive staff mid-season?

Besides why fire people when he he said that he was doing a good job in every way?

since we're turning back the clock perhaps if Tom and been in favor of hiring a top notch head coach following the 97 season .... he handed the program (at the time we were Alabama) to the running backs coach - we wouldn't be going on ~ 15 years of irrelevance

Tom was one of the greatest of all time but his coaching tree is nonexistent

P.S. Callahan was 4-4 when Osborne took over. Osborne told him if they won out he had a job. If he won 3 of 4 they would make it work. If he won only a game or two he would be gone. Stop with the nutty assertions.

P.S. Callahan was 4-4 when Osborne took over. Osborne told him if they won out he had a job. If he won 3 of 4 they would make it work. If he won only a game or two he would be gone. Stop with the nutty assertions.
Tom AFTER THE FACT said he "basically told Callahan that IF he won out" he would likely keep his job. If he only won 7 games "it was going to be tough". We ALL knew that BC wasn't winning out and so did Tom. Callahan asked Tom when he took over if he wanted him to fire Coz and Tom said no "he wasn't going to make him fire anybody" meaning, its your ass on the line buddy. I heard him say it multiple times in multiple interviews. So don't be an ass..

First you said defensive staff. Second Osborne said if he won three of four they could make it work out. Third Osborne said the buck stops with the head coach. He wasn't going to tell Callahan what to do or what not to do with staff.

Again, you know these things and are telling lies.

Last edited:
First you said defensive staff. Second Osborne said if he won three of four they could make it work out. Third Osborne said the buck stops with the head coach. He wasn't going to tell Callahan what to door what not to do.

Again, you know these things and are telling lies.
Of course Tom wasn't going to make him fire his whole defensive staff with several games left. Last time I checked Coz was defensive staff. TOM said, "Bill came to me and asked if he wanted him to make STAFF changes". You tell me who that STAFF would be. Tom said basically the same thing repeatedly in interviews with different outlets after he canned BC so just stick it. I'm in no mood to banter with a troll today.

Get caught telling lies...play the troll card.That ought to work.

Of course Tom wasn't going to make him fire his whole defensive staff with several games left. Last time I checked Coz was defensive staff. TOM said, "Bill came to me and asked if he wanted him to make STAFF changes". You tell me who that STAFF would be. Tom said basically the same thing repeatedly in interviews with different outlets after he canned BC so just stick it. I'm in no mood to banter with a troll today.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125379

Might want to read this story seems pretty clear to me

"Osborne said he never asked Callahan to fire Cosgrove or any other assistants in order to save his own job.

"The head coach is responsible for the defense and kicking game and the whole deal," Osborne said. "That's why you're the head coach. You're responsible for hiring those people, so I was not going to tell Bill Callahan who he had to keep and who he had to let go. Bill Callahan is where the buck stops."

Not at all. It was a long time ago and I thought I remember that TO highly suggested that Bo retain Watson
Well, just so you know, it was in the context of telling Bo he was the head coach and needed to hire who he wanted.

Every coach at Bama recruits. Every coach at Bama recruits well. Even Joey Freshwater recruits (and not just QBs). Saban believes in recruiting and that doesn't mean just throwing a bunch of $ at it. That means every coach at Bama works his ass off, gets to know their targets, and knows how to sale. Yes the wins obviously make it easier for them but I am sure Saban himself will tell you that the Bama coaches still have to work their asses off in recruiting regardless if they just won a title or not.

Which makes me really shake my head because our staff doesn't have the success as coaches to "wow" commits. Our program has not won anything of importance in the life time of the kids we are now recruiting. But yet half of our staff is dog shit as recruiters and I mean of zero value to the recruiting game.

-Hank Hughes is probably the dullest guy you will ever meet in your life. He's a good X's & O's guy (especially against the run) and always has been. Look at this career and youll ask your self," why has this guy been stuck coaching UConn, Memphis, & Cincy?" Then after meeting him, you will understand

-Bruce Read- Really, do I even have to say anything. Worst coach to ever coach at NU in my life time. Worst recruiter to ever recruit at NU in my life time. He lives off of his buddy's tit and I think he may actually be mentally retarded.

-Reggie Davis - is he back from vacation yet? I think he went on vacation after the bowl game because he didn't do jack shit after. Does he even actively recruit?

-Mike Cavanaugh - I am sure I will take a lot of heat for hating on this guy. When he first came here, like many of you, I got pumped watching his youtube videos. I thought, what a great old man but the fact is, he isn't producing. 3 commits in 2 year. 2 were very, very good (Farnoik & Barnett). But let this sink in, the old staff did a better job at recruiting O-lineman for this class, then Cav did... and lets not even talk about his coaching ability. Good thing he knows people who will support him.

Bray, Stewart, & Williams - Carried this staff in recruiting this season.

Riley did a great job for a HC in the recruiting game. One day I hope this man will realize that a ton of his failure in football was because of his kindness to retaining friends on staff. I am all for helping buddies out but I am also against Cronyism & Nepotism. He decided long ago that being a loser was ok.

Banker & Langsdorf - did what is about expected from a Coordinator in recruiting.

So my point of all this is, look at how hard Bama's coaches work in recruiting. Look how every coach (even the coordinators) get commits. Yes, some of it is do to who they are but those coaches still have to recruit. If they relied on Name only, there are many other "big name" schools that would beat them out for those 5 stars. If they had 4 deadweight coaches in recruiting like NU has, then Bama would drop from the elite but Nick is too smart to ever let that happen. He'd fire a SOB for slacking at recruiting. Riley would never fire anyone.
Not sure if Rivals is accurate on this or not but here are the numbers of recruits by coach

• Langdorf - 2
  • banker - 0
  • Davis - 1
  • Read - 1 ( 2 star kicker)
  • Williams - 4
  • Cavanaugh - 5
  • Hughes - 3
  • Bray - 4
  • Stewart - 5
There does seem to be an unequal distribution of recruits - if this is accurate with the coaches - the top four guys on this list combined for 4 recruits which included a 2 star kicker and a late back up offer to a NE kid - so 2 recruits that we really needed to fight for is not good. The scary thing is that outside of Cavanaugh who had 5 recruits the coaches new to this staff or fairly new are the ones producing the guys who have been with Riley for awhile did not

Your right, he told Bo it was his choice but he highly recommended he keep Watson because he felt, like a lot if us did, that the problem wasn't the offense or the offensive staff. It was the defense that needed fixing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT