jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
# of 5 star recruits for entire conference

BIG TEN - 3
ACC - 4
PAC12 - 5
BIG12 - 2

Heard on the radio today from someone who would know (former CFB and NFL coach) that no SEC coaches are allowed to call the NCAA on another SEC coach or school. Instead they are to call the SEC headquarters who will address it as they see fit.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Saban has it going on. Does he break the rules a little? Probably. But I would say he doesn't have to for 95% of his players in each recruiting class.

Alabama wins, and they win at a high level. Kids want to go where they are going to win and get to the NFL. They get exceptional talent for that reason. Also it helps when you barely have to leave your region to get players.

I don't love/hate Alabama, I just am in awe with their talent each and every year. Pretty damn remarkable.

That's what having a great coach and program that throws a ton of money and people at recruiting does. Get off the cheating garbage.... every program cheats according to some on here.

What are you trying to say?

Come on, get off Alabama and the SECs nuts. Saban and most of the SEC coaches are probably doing everything possible to get there guys they want (cash, cars, promises and or what ever it takes to get there man or men). In these days, it's all about winning, winning and more winning. There isn't much of the "by the book" innocent type coaches in that conference and anyone who believes different is apparently blind. Look, Ole Miss is already getting looked at for....ummm....some reason. I know, pour SEC, all the haters want them to fall. I here the world's smallest violin playing right now.

That is why I cannot understand why most are giving our class a B.

How much do you dislike our current coaching staff to keep this up? A top 25 recruiting class is not "average" and that is exactly what a grade of C is. Average.

Number 1 class is subjective, as different recruiting services rank them differently. So
Top 2 or 3 = A+
Top 10 = A
Top 15 = A-
Top 20 = B+
Top 25 = B

Of course, this is JMO, not yours. I just get tired of everyone bagging on this class because Riley has not immediately turned our program around by landing a Top 10 class. It's not a reasonable expectation. Osborne didn't do it. He recruited well for his needs and coached them up. Can Riley do the same in the time he will be here? Probably not. However, we are just asking him to repair the program that Pelini left in a mess. Unless you are still pining for Bo you know that is true. If he brings us along faster than expected then great. If not, he will leave the program in better shape than he received it.

That's what having a great coach and program that throws a ton of money and people at recruiting does. Get off the cheating garbage.... every program cheats according to some on here.

Woah, a ton, that explains it.

Remember that one time DJ Fluker tweeted he got paid then the tweet was taken down then Fluker claimed he was hacked lol then Yahoo sports got copies of the western union transfers to Fluker then nothing happened with the NCAA lol

Come on, get off Alabama and the SECs nuts. Saban and most of the SEC coaches are probably doing everything possible to get there guys they want (cash, cars, promises and or what ever it takes to get there man or men). In these days, it's all about winning, winning and more winning. There isn't much of the "by the book" innocent type coaches in that conference and anyone who believes different is apparently blind. Look, Ole Miss is already getting looked at for....ummm....some reason. I know, pour SEC, all the haters want them to fall. I here the world's smallest violin playing right now.
Funny-Pictures---Typos.jpg

;)

Heard on the radio today from someone who would know (former CFB and NFL coach) that no SEC coaches are allowed to call the NCAA on another SEC coach or school. Instead they are to call the SEC headquarters who will address it as they see fit.
If that is true...it is pretty smart!

Of course, this is JMO, not yours. I just get tired of everyone bagging on this class because Riley has not immediately turned our program around by landing a Top 10 class. It's not a reasonable expectation. Osborne didn't do it.
5 of his last ten classes were top 10.

Top 2 or 3 = A+
Top 10 = A
Top 15 = A-
Top 20 = B+
Top 25 = B
Bo wasn't a B recruiter.

However, we are just asking him to repair the program that Pelini left in a mess. Unless you are still pining for Bo you know that is true.
I wasn't a fan of his average #23 classes nor his 9/10 wins a season nor the way he deported himself...he needed to go. But let's stop moving the goal posts.

You need to get off the SEC penis envy. So tell us when Saban decided to start all this cheating....was it at Mich St, LSU, or Alabama? Not one person on here ever mentions dirty play while he was in the Big. Just a bunch butt hurt because the SEC is owning it right now. Stop the whining and just get better, it's simple.

You need to get off the SEC penis envy. So tell us when Saban decided to start all this cheating....was it at Mich St, LSU, or Alabama? Not one person on here ever mentions dirty play while he was in the Big. Just a bunch butt hurt because the SEC is owning it right now. Stop the whining and just get better, it's simple.
Saban doesn't cheat, that would be dumb. That's taken care of for them, the coaches don't know about it.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Saban doesn't cheat, that would be dumb. That's taken care of for them, the coaches don't know about it.

So you're willing to admit that ALL programs have people paying players without the knowledge of the program including Nebraska?

Go threw my profile and find any other SEC post, reply or anything about that conference. Shutting down your SEC envy claim. All the sign are there, even the NCAA is starting to poke there nose into it. Like to believe it or not, there is some evil out there and people do pull some shit to get what they want. Who knows, maybe dudes right, maybe it's boosters or someone alike pulling the strings while the coaches don't have a clue....right, maybe like a cop looking the other way...

Last edited:
nick saban was only 23-16-1 at msu

Every coach at Bama recruits. Every coach at Bama recruits well. Even Joey Freshwater recruits (and not just QBs). Saban believes in recruiting and that doesn't mean just throwing a bunch of $ at it. That means every coach at Bama works his ass off, gets to know their targets, and knows how to sale. Yes the wins obviously make it easier for them but I am sure Saban himself will tell you that the Bama coaches still have to work their asses off in recruiting regardless if they just won a title or not.

Which makes me really shake my head because our staff doesn't have the success as coaches to "wow" commits. Our program has not won anything of importance in the life time of the kids we are now recruiting. But yet half of our staff is dog shit as recruiters and I mean of zero value to the recruiting game.

-Hank Hughes is probably the dullest guy you will ever meet in your life. He's a good X's & O's guy (especially against the run) and always has been. Look at this career and youll ask your self," why has this guy been stuck coaching UConn, Memphis, & Cincy?" Then after meeting him, you will understand

-Bruce Read- Really, do I even have to say anything. Worst coach to ever coach at NU in my life time. Worst recruiter to ever recruit at NU in my life time. He lives off of his buddy's tit and I think he may actually be mentally retarded.

-Reggie Davis - is he back from vacation yet? I think he went on vacation after the bowl game because he didn't do jack shit after. Does he even actively recruit?

-Mike Cavanaugh - I am sure I will take a lot of heat for hating on this guy. When he first came here, like many of you, I got pumped watching his youtube videos. I thought, what a great old man but the fact is, he isn't producing. 3 commits in 2 year. 2 were very, very good (Farnoik & Barnett). But let this sink in, the old staff did a better job at recruiting O-lineman for this class, then Cav did... and lets not even talk about his coaching ability. Good thing he knows people who will support him.

Bray, Stewart, & Williams - Carried this staff in recruiting this season.

Riley did a great job for a HC in the recruiting game. One day I hope this man will realize that a ton of his failure in football was because of his kindness to retaining friends on staff. I am all for helping buddies out but I am also against Cronyism & Nepotism. He decided long ago that being a loser was ok.

Banker & Langsdorf - did what is about expected from a Coordinator in recruiting.

So my point of all this is, look at how hard Bama's coaches work in recruiting. Look how every coach (even the coordinators) get commits. Yes, some of it is do to who they are but those coaches still have to recruit. If they relied on Name only, there are many other "big name" schools that would beat them out for those 5 stars. If they had 4 deadweight coaches in recruiting like NU has, then Bama would drop from the elite but Nick is too smart to ever let that happen. He'd fire a SOB for slacking at recruiting. Riley would never fire anyone.

nick saban was only 23-16-1 at msu

Gee... I never knew that. Now run back to the Michigan board... by the way Michigan and Harbaugh are definitely cheating. No way they land a top 10 class otherwise. See how easy that was.

"However, we are just asking him to repair the program that Pelini left in a mess.".

No, we're not. Perhaps you are but please do not make that statement as an implied, and unanimously agreed upon, assumption. Riley is to be held to the same standard that all coaches are here at Nebraska-perhaps that's a good question to ask...what are the current standards (for me, it's been winning but obviously that expectation has been sent packing in the favor of "happy press conferences")?? That statement above to me reads as a direct excuse for any lack of winning and any other critical questioning of what is currently occurring (and yes I do believe in patience as well with ANY new staff).

GBR

"However, we are just asking him to repair the program that Pelini left in a mess.".

No, we're not. Perhaps you are but please do not make that statement as an implied, and unanimously agreed upon, assumption. Riley is to be held to the same standard that all coaches are here at Nebraska-perhaps that's a good question to ask...what are the current standards (for me, it's been winning but obviously that expectation has been sent packing in the favor of "happy press conferences")?? That statement above to me reads as a direct excuse for any lack of winning and any other critical questioning of what is currently occurring (and yes I do believe in patience as well with ANY new staff).

GBR
I would have never guessed that you weren't happy. Shocker! And yes I am speaking for myself. Just because you have blinders on to the state of our program under Coach Pelini doesn't mean that there weren't serious issues. Wins and losses don't tell the whole story for both the Pelini staff and the current one. So, good luck with your hatefest. Riley isn't going anywhere for the next three years.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The previous staff appeared in 3 CCGs during their tenure. A minimal goal for the present staff is then to win the division and thus be in the CCG. Indeed, win the division, win the conference, make the playoff/win the bowl game (whichever applies). These are the goals. Failure to achieve these goals (ie no division, no conf title, no bowl win) is not a good thing. Running the program in a humane fashion and acting like a grown man are expectations, not goals.

So you're willing to admit that ALL programs have people paying players without the knowledge of the program including Nebraska?
No, I doubt every single program in the country have people paying players without the knowledge of the program.

You are incorrect with attempting to label me as hateful against our current staff (or any that we've ever had). It's actually the contrary...they deserve full support. My bigger concern is the false pretense that they are only here to be better at PR (public relations). While that aspect may be true, they still need to be held to the same expectations within all aspects of the program (academics, recruiting, wins/losses, etc)....to indicate any differently is showing a lack of understanding of what makes this place great and fairness of expectations.

GBR

Great post Spinner. My guess, based on your post above, would be that you're not surprised to see Mr. Hughes announcement today...

GBR

No they shouldn't get of their nuts. If any other conference cheated like the SEC did they would be roasted faster then a wing at the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Jimmy Frank
Every coach at Bama recruits. Every coach at Bama recruits well. Even Joey Freshwater recruits (and not just QBs). Saban believes in recruiting and that doesn't mean just throwing a bunch of $ at it. That means every coach at Bama works his ass off, gets to know their targets, and knows how to sale. Yes the wins obviously make it easier for them but I am sure Saban himself will tell you that the Bama coaches still have to work their asses off in recruiting regardless if they just won a title or not.

Which makes me really shake my head because our staff doesn't have the success as coaches to "wow" commits. Our program has not won anything of importance in the life time of the kids we are now recruiting. But yet half of our staff is dog shit as recruiters and I mean of zero value to the recruiting game.

-Hank Hughes is probably the dullest guy you will ever meet in your life. He's a good X's & O's guy (especially against the run) and always has been. Look at this career and youll ask your self," why has this guy been stuck coaching UConn, Memphis, & Cincy?" Then after meeting him, you will understand

-Bruce Read- Really, do I even have to say anything. Worst coach to ever coach at NU in my life time. Worst recruiter to ever recruit at NU in my life time. He lives off of his buddy's tit and I think he may actually be mentally retarded.

-Reggie Davis - is he back from vacation yet? I think he went on vacation after the bowl game because he didn't do jack shit after. Does he even actively recruit?

-Mike Cavanaugh - I am sure I will take a lot of heat for hating on this guy. When he first came here, like many of you, I got pumped watching his youtube videos. I thought, what a great old man but the fact is, he isn't producing. 3 commits in 2 year. 2 were very, very good (Farnoik & Barnett). But let this sink in, the old staff did a better job at recruiting O-lineman for this class, then Cav did... and lets not even talk about his coaching ability. Good thing he knows people who will support him.

Riley did a great job for a HC in the recruiting game. One day I hope this man will realize that a ton of his failure in football was because of his kindness to retaining friends on staff. I am all for helping buddies out but I am also against Cronyism & Nepotism. He decided long ago that being a loser was ok.

Banker & Langsdorf - did what is about expected from a Coordinator in recruiting.

So my point of all this is, look at how hard Bama's coaches work in recruiting. Look how every coach (even the coordinators) get commits. Yes, some of it is do to who they are but those coaches still have to recruit. If they relied on Name only, there are many other "big name" schools that would beat them out for those 5 stars. If they had 4 deadweight coaches in recruiting like NU has, then Bama would drop from the elite but Nick is too smart to ever let that happen. He'd fire a SOB for slacking at recruiting. Riley would never fire anyone.

Perfection.

-Bruce Read- Really, do I even have to say anything. Worst coach to ever coach at NU in my life time.

Riley did a great job for a HC in the recruiting game.

Your post is so ignorant that I don't even know why I'm replying to it. In a very short time period we landed a highly recruited 4 star guy in Barnett. This year, we landed maybe some of the best O line prospects we've ever signed in 1 class at NU. As far as Read goes, worst coach ever at NU is reserved solely for Elmo. Good heavens you really don't know diddly do you.

Yep...your analysis seems to be spot on. The next guy to go should be Read. Riley has to know that he doesn't have a decade to get us back to double digit wins and championships. He needs to cut bait with Read and get Davis and Cavanaugh motivated...or put their heads on the chopping block.

Reactions: keithleyb
Yep...your analysis seems to be spot on. The next guy to go should be Read. Riley has to know that he doesn't have a decade to get us back to double digit wins and championships. He needs to cut bait with Read and get Davis and Cavanaugh motivated...or put their heads on the chopping block.
RollingLaughDavis and Cavanaugh? What the hell do you want? Good grief.

Spinner: "Riley did a great job for a HC in the recruiting game. One day I hope this man will realize that a ton of his failure in football was because of his kindness to retaining friends on staff. I am all for helping buddies out but I am also against Cronyism & Nepotism. He decided long ago that being a loser was ok."

Spinner: "Riley would never fire anyone"

Tulsa Tom: "Yep...your analysis seems to be spot on."

Mods, please pin this post. I don't want it to ever go away. Ever, ever, ever.

Bo got 7 years and no double digit win seasons and no championships. Defense also regressed once Cally's boys moved on. And yet, some knobs were still crying that he was fired.:rolleyes:

One thing Alabama does do is trim the non contributing upperclassmen fat almost annually in order to have full recruiting classes every year. Easier to miss a few when you sign 25 every year ...99 the last 4 years ...we signed 89 and missed on many more

Sparky i may have misworded that, i ment that as stop glorifying the SEC and Bama...just like Ole Miss is getting looked at for apperant reasons, im sure Bama is pulling the same crap as Ole Miss. Yes i agree, winning like they have been is going to help with recruiting but its not going to land you ever top tier recruit they go after. Something is going on there and sooner or later the NCAA will have to stop looking the other way and do something about, like they eventually had to do with USC. And i maybe wrong or off but i don't recall Saban landing classes at LSU like he is at Bama and LSU is in the SEC, in an area where a lot of top talent comes from and a pretty big Football program like Alabama. Seems a bit odd to me that he couldn't recruit like that at LSU but magically comes out firing at Alabama....ill give him this, MAYBE its not Saban or his staff but someone is loading the recruits wallets, handing over some bad ass cars, trucks (Raptors or Hummers) or whatever the recruit wants.

And i agree Sparky, if Nebraska started pulling the shit BAMA and SOME the SEC does, we be hung out to drie and they would find away to give us the death penalty.

Last edited:
I want better than what we brought in. Here goes the trolling stuff. If you criticize a #25 class it's trolling...well a Riley #25 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT