ADVERTISEMENT

Akron bailed...

Just admit u were wrong and have a good day sir..try again another time when ur takes are more on the scorching side of things.
How old are you? 10? It's pretty simple. The contract was written and signed at least a year ago when the game was agreed to. The time, the place, and the payout was all set. But yet, you guys seem to think that at the last minute Akron should have bent over and dropped their pants because we said so? Brilliant. Bowden and his AD pulled a fast one IMO BUT that was their legal right. Karma is a bitch and them crapping on Fox probably will come back and cost them exposure and money in the future but that was their decision.

It's not like this storm came out of nowhere like 9/11. If it did, then no one would be complaining. This storm was on the radar for days. At least try, it's not hard.
You can't change the contract that has been in place 3 days before the game without the other party agreeing to an amendment to the contract. On top of that even with the forecast, nobody expected to get the lengthy lightening storm we got. Just quit. No doubt we'll have something in future contracts so that assholes like Bowden can't do this again, but this horse is out of the barn. There was nothing Moos could have done about the contract Eichorst agreed to.

You can't change the contract that has been in place 3 days before the game without the other party agreeing to an amendment to the contract. On top of that even with the forecast, nobody expected to get the lengthy lightening storm we got. Just quit. No doubt we'll have something in future contracts so that assholes like Bowden can't do this again, but this horse is out of the barn. There was nothing Moos could have done about the contract Eichorst agreed to.
How do you keep missing the part where I keep saying that Nebraska didn't even try to come up with a contingency plan? If they would have done so prior to the delay (days before kickoff) and it still didn't work out, then I wouldn't have a problem with what happened.

The problem is that they didn't attempt to do any planning when they had a few days notice and that's what I have an issue with.

All you're offering to possibly change in the contract is the day the game is being played.

How do you keep missing the part where I keep saying that Nebraska didn't even try to come up with a contingency plan? If they would have done so prior to the delay (days before kickoff) and it still didn't work out, then I wouldn't have a problem with what happened.

The problem is that they didn't attempt to do any planning when they had a few days notice and that's what I have an issue with.

All you're offering to possibly change in the contract is the day the game is being played.
So how could you come up with a contingency plan when the other party to the contract won't agree to it? Do you really think Akron was going to let us change the contract 3 days before the game and even then how much do you give them for a 60% chance of rain? Don't be silly. This has never happened before to us and it will probably never happen again. Ever. So let it go. Moos didn't write the contract.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Who trusts a weather forecast three days out? Plus at that point it was 50/50 if storms would happen.
72 hours is the lock in point for forecasts and are often the most accurate up to about 3-4 hours before. The models do all sorts of jankity stuff inside of 72 hours because of the increased resolution. That is why the forecast went all over the place early saturday, shifting the storm around by up to 6 hours. By Wednesday people knew it was going to be heavy thunderstorms...and considering the 8-15 mile rule, and 30 minute wait...heavy storms for extended time equals rainout. The type of system it was also destined it to be a rainout, a stalled front does not move through like normal systems, but funnels energy into highly moist areas, that is why the storms strengthened as the night went on, not vice versa.

72 hours is the lock in point for forecasts and are often the most accurate up to about 3-4 hours before. The models do all sorts of jankity stuff inside of 72 hours because of the increased resolution. That is why the forecast went all over the place early saturday, shifting the storm around by up to 6 hours. By Wednesday people knew it was going to be heavy thunderstorms...and considering the 8-15 mile rule, and 30 minute wait...heavy storms for extended time equals rainout. The type of system it was also destined it to be a rainout, a stalled front does not move through like normal systems, but funnels energy into highly moist areas, that is why the storms strengthened as the night went on, not vice versa.
When I left for the game at noon the forecast for my home was an 80% chance of rain that evening with heavy rain. I got NOTHING. Not a drop. Regardless of the forecast, you couldn't change the contract with Akron unless they agreed to it.
Ejrm

Maybe since we are the only conference school that can’t get into the AAU, the BIG should insist on reviewing all of our contracts before we sign - so we don’t get played when we enter into legal agreements with academic powerhouses like Akron

So how could you come up with a contingency plan when the other party to the contract won't agree to it?
If we tried to come up with a contingency plan and Akron wouldnt agree to it, then I wouldnt be upset at Nebraska since they tried. Problem is they didnt try prior to the delay.

Do you really think Akron was going to let us change the contract 3 days before the game and even then how much do you give them for a 60% chance of rain?
I've already answered this, but why wouldnt Akron agree to it as long as we covered their incurred expenses? You ask, they might agree to it. If they dont then you at least tried.

This has never happened before to us and it will probably never happen again.
I bet if this situation comes up again (knowing days prior that storms were coming around kickoff), the powers that be will try and come up with a contingency plan.

Moos didn't write the contract.
Doesnt matter. It's his job to deal with it now.

So let it go.
Not going to as it's too easy to poke holes in your argument.

If we tried to come up with a contingency plan and Akron wouldnt agree to it, then I wouldnt be upset at Nebraska since they tried. Problem is they didnt try prior to the delay.

I've already answered this, but why wouldnt Akron agree to it as long as we covered their incurred expenses? You ask, they might agree to it. If they dont then you at least tried.

I bet if this situation comes up again (knowing days prior that storms were coming around kickoff), the powers that be will try and come up with a contingency plan.

Doesnt matter. It's his job to deal with it now.

Not going to as it's too easy to poke holes in your argument.
The only thing you've poked a hole in is any credibility you may have had. A contract is a contract and cannot be changed without the consent of both parties. Period. You can make all kinds of assertions as to what you THINK should have happened but it really doesn't matter now. You don't sign a million dollar deal, have it in place for over a year and then 3 days before the contract is executed expect the other party to let you change the deal. Cmon man.

A contract is a contract and cannot be changed without the consent of both parties.
Literally no one is saying any thing any different so quit chirping this.

Who's to say Akron wouldn't agree to the changes? Those changes would only be the game being playing on Sunday (if Saturday wouldn't work).

You don't sign a million dollar deal, have it in place for over a year and then 3 days before the contract is executed expect the other party to let you change the deal
What kind changes to the contract do you think would be made that Akron wouldn't consider agreeing to?

So when a contract like this is negotiated who do you think presents the contract to who for approval? My hunch is that UNL presented Akron a contract with the payout, and any kind of buyout payments. Would be really curious to see if there was ANY sort of game cancellation verbiage in the contract... in today’s world you would think every conceivable outcome would be written into every contract...

If I was Nebraska I would make it very public knowledge among other D1 teams what Akron did so other teams dont schedule them. If they want to play that way, take away their cash cow. Those teams need Nebraska worse than we need them. Make em pay for not playing.

Akron could not come up with a place to stay Sat Nite to play on Sunday and they would not have been able to find such a place on Thursday either. This was not meant to be and all the crying over how Neb AD screwed up is spilled milk and people need to get over it! This was not the AD's fault!

The only thing you've poked a hole in is any credibility you may have had. A contract is a contract and cannot be changed without the consent of both parties. Period. You can make all kinds of assertions as to what you THINK should have happened but it really doesn't matter now. You don't sign a million dollar deal, have it in place for over a year and then 3 days before the contract is executed expect the other party to let you change the deal. Cmon man.

Funny how this guy seems to know all the details of the Nebraska-Akron game contract. In fact he seems to know more about it than Nebraska deputy AD Bob Burton lol.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ical-challenges-forced-akron-pull-plug-sunday

I don't feel entitled. I just don't feel much was done days before in trying to make this game happen if the weather didn't cooperate. If they would've tried to work on a contingency plan days prior to kickoff and it still didn't work out, then I would have no problem.

Dude 4 o'clock on the day of the game showed a 2.5 hour window. Not only that the second cell was supposed to be out of there at 11. You go with that. You think you can play the first half before the delay and you finish the game after. Guess what. The forst first cell sat and let the second cell catch up. The storms didn't move out until 3 am and there was a similar chance the next day at 10:30 am. Grow up

These ADs get paid way too much to not start coming up with plans in my opinion. At least try... That's all people are asking I believe.

Moos got paid to fix the program. Not predict the weather

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Dude 4 o'clock on the day of the game showed a 2.5 hour window. Not only that the second cell was supposed to be out of there at 11. You go with that. You think you can play the first half before the delay and you finish the game after. Guess what. The forst first cell sat and let the second cell catch up. The storms didn't move out until 3 am and there was a similar chance the next day at 10:30 am. Grow up.
Moos got paid to fix the program. Not predict the weather
This has nothing to do with predicting the weather on gameday. Everyone knew since Thursday that there was a great chance of storms that were going to hit at game time. Because of that, a contingency plan should have been worked on just in case.

Reactions: saluno22
The first thing people have to realize is that Akron does want to play the game...they just didn't want their players in 5-10 different hotel rooms in god knows where.

This is not some evil plan by Akron...they were not/are not "scared" all those players want to play the game. It just happened to be a mess.

Good lord, hotel rooms in Lincoln sell out 3 months in advance.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I guess we know the solution: The university needs to build a hotel specifically for visiting teams. Then this won't ever happen again. :D

Reactions: HuskerO
This has nothing to do with predicting the weather on gameday. Everyone knew since Thursday that there was a great chance of storms that were going to hit at game time. Because of that, a contingency plan should have been worked on just in case.
You are making stuff up to make your point. The National Weather Service never had greater than a SLIGHT chance of severe storms over Lincoln. And none of the forecasts called for an eight hour storm.

They had protocol for a weather delay, but no one thought the weather would last as long until forecasts changed on Saturday.

Even if they would have a contingency plan, I doubt it would include making arrangements for accomidations for the other team. And if they had, that would have been in Omaha and not sure Akron would have signed off on that.

Contingency plans are great, but they can't account for every scenario. Every leader plays the odds in planning. Just turned out this time the weather didn't play the odds .

Reactions: SOHusker11
CTSCTS, there is not room for thinking involved in this threads or truth and facts either. For whatever reason some have decided that somehow this all could have been avoided and it was easy to know something that rarely happens could happen and they knew that the storm was going to last like it did (something else that almost never happens)! Truth and facts have no use or business in this attack on the Husker AD. Come on people he just has to plan for something that almost never happens was going to happen! Truth is all these smart people knew this was going to happen on Thursday already.

I cannot believe the BS that has been printed in these threads about how all of these lay people knew more than the weather people and the AD staff that this was inevitable and knew it was going to happen on Wed or Thurs already!

You are making stuff up to make your point. The National Weather Service never had greater than a SLIGHT chance of severe storms over Lincoln. And none of the forecasts called for an eight hour storm.

They had protocol for a weather delay, but no one thought the weather would last as long until forecasts changed on Saturday.

Even if they would have a contingency plan, I doubt it would include making arrangements for accomidations for the other team. And if they had, that would have been in Omaha and not sure Akron would have signed off on that.

Contingency plans are great, but they can't account for every scenario. Every leader plays the odds in planning. Just turned out this time the weather didn't play the odds .
As of Thursday morning there was more than a slight chance of severe storms. What does it being an 8 hour storm have to do with anything? Of course the contingency plan would include room accommodations for Saturday night & why would Omaha be a big deal.

Not sure why people are making this harder than what it is? Yes it would've taken some leg work, but it could've been accomplished if at least some effort & forsight had been attempted.

As of Saturday afternoon there was a few hour window that was supposed to be open for the game to day played, You keep saying that plans should have been made in case of something happening that rarely happens. A thunderstorm lasting longer than an hour!

And I might add you obviously have no idea what it takes to have all the people in place to make a game happen if you think it would have only taken some effort to change the game to an earlier time. Not to even mention TV would have had a lot to say about any time change prior to the game !

And I might add you obviously have no idea what it takes to have all the people in place to make a game happen if you think it would have only taken some effort to change the game to an earlier time. Not to even mention TV would have had a lot to say about any time change prior to the game !

Event staffers at UNL get to the football stadium 4-5 hours before the gates open. You'd have to work around it and if people are willing to make changes to their own calendar, they'd show up to work.

And all the event staffers from here in Neb are one thing. Take into account game officials and tv workers etc. The number of flights etc that would have to be changed etc. As I stated many are not thinking of how hard it would be to change a start time to an earlier one the week of the game. In addition I want someone to tell me how often a thunderstorm lasts more than an hour in Neb. Just stop with the crap. What happened happened and saying it would have been easy to change the time of the game is JUST FALSE!

Forecast for Next Saturday and I am going to post this every day for the next week.. Accuweather says 78 and Mostly Cloudy
Weather.com 40% chance of rain and 75
NOAA says Partly Sunny and 76

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT