ADVERTISEMENT

After Wisky pulls a Nebraska

By firing Chryst, the crap in hiring a coach who has morals needs to STOP. This is about winning and money. Go get Urban. Hell, CFB has already turned in pro football and there's not many morals there
Many reports state Urban isn't interested. Do you know something the rest of us do not? Or are you in the throw a bunch of silly money at him that will change his mind?

So, anyone who has a moral basis of though and how they live their lives needs to immediately quit but any morals that are opposed are fine? Its called freedom, we use to have it in this country.

Many reports state Urban isn't interested. Do you know something the rest of us do not? Or are you in the throw a bunch of silly money at him that will change his mind?

So, anyone who has a moral basis of though and how they live their lives needs to immediately quit but any morals that are opposed are fine? Its called freedom, we use to have it in this country.
All the money it takes its not ours. Nebraska Football is to big of a economic engine to pinch pennies on a rookie WR head coach.

Speaking of moral outrage (and even leaving Urban aside), I find the media’s double-standard funny. We’ve had to hear about firing Solich for twenty years and Bo for the past eight. “How could you possibly fire a coach winning 9 games a year!?” “Delusional!” “This isn’t the 90s!” Meanwhile, the reaction to Chryst has been much more mixed so far, with fans and media alike actually commending Wisconsin for seeing a problem (whatever that means) and not hesitating to act quickly.

I agree that it’s about winning, 100%. At the same time, if there’s one thing the Solich and Pelini situations showed us, it’s that programs do NOT fire coaches for winning “only” 9 games a year; it’s never that simple and never solely due to win-loss record. Outsiders are always going to see it as a bad look and spew their uneducated, indignant platitudes, but when you’re a fan of the program, you’ll probably be familiar with the underlying issues and the problems that exist outside the spotlight. I’m sure there’s a lot more to the Chryst situation than meets the eye.

Imagine being an Iowa fan...and seeing all these other programs trying to get better and better...and you realize that your AD is super happy with being lame every single year.
Yet we are significantly better than Nebraska and have been for some time. Years actually. I may not be happy with Iowa's offensive performance but at least we aren't Nebraska. Yikes.

Yet we are significantly better than Nebraska and have been for some time. Years actually. I may not be happy with Iowa's offensive performance but at least we aren't Nebraska. Yikes.
You guys are worse because you guys are stuck in neutral

Ah, there’s the Iowa fan mantra. Not winning championships, not accomplishing anything of significance in their own right—no, just “at least we’re not (fill in the blank)”. That’s probably why you’re so eager to hang out on our board and raise banners celebrating your latest December bowl “appearances”; you can make yourselves feel better about your unending mediocrity by kicking any other program while they’re down.

The collective short man complex Is always as comical as it is predictable.

See that is the thing...you are either good or you suck.

Iowa is not good...so they fall in the suck category but you also are okay with that. You even said it yourself, you are not happy with Iowa as a team but you are still totally fine with the lameness each year.

In all honesty, are you not tired of lameness and sucking?

Reactions: RedMyMind
By firing Chryst, the crap in hiring a coach who has morals needs to STOP. This is about winning and money. Go get Urban. Hell, CFB has already turned in pro football and there's not many morals there
gruden or bust!

And it is so weird that you are on a Husker site and came to post about how you are not happy with Iowa, but you are an Iowa fan. You lost to SDSU, you lost to your "little brother" you all but got shut out at home vs Michigan...

It just boggles the mind.

Reactions: dand84
Ah, there’s the Iowa fan mantra. Not winning championships, not accomplishing anything of significance in their own right—no, just “at least we’re not (fill in the blank)”. That’s probably why you’re so eager to hang out on our board and raise banners celebrating your latest December bowl “appearances”; you can make yourselves feel better about your unending mediocrity by kicking any other program while they’re down.

The collective short man complex Is always as comical as it is predictable.
It is so weird, it would be one thing if I posted about Iowa on their board and they responded but the weirdos come here, to talk about how average they are, like it is awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: Frozone
Please re-read for comprehension. Going to be awkward at Thanksgiving if pops fires sonny boy for sucking at his job. What stupid nepotism.

The state of this division has to be a major selling point for the Nebraska and Wisconsin openings.

Seriously. You go east, you have to get over Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State.

Either division of the SEC -- Georgia / Tennessee / UF or Bama / LSU / TAMU.

This division?

The bar to get over is Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois.

It's embarrassing to be so bad we can't get over that bar.

The state of this division has to be a major selling point for the Nebraska and Wisconsin openings.

This division?

We've been wandering in the desert for over 20 years. We're about to get our mojo back. We finally have an athletic director that understands the team, the state, and the stakes. He's a smart guy and he'll get this right.

We've been wandering in the desert for over 20 years. We're about to get our mojo back. We finally have an athletic director that understands the team, the state, and the stakes. He's a smart guy and he'll get this right.
Understands the team, the state and the stakes is essentially the same mantra that was echoed from the cult of past Husker glory when Frost was hired

Trev may or may not get this right (hope he hits a homerun)

The fact is Trev was a summit league AD and has never hired a football or basketball coach at any level

being a former Husker or understanding the state doesn’t increase his chances of success - in fact if he gets it wrong it increases the potential damage to the program because as a former Husker people won’t be willing to admit he botched it and a charade will be allowed to continue for years unchecked

Last edited:
One thing I like about Alberts is that he is well spoken and seems to have an understanding of human relationships and a certain level of an ability to relate to people. That to me says he has an organized mind and the ability to see himself and outside himself....sort of like a politician or salesman be that good or bad we'll see.

I think that will help him in selling Nebraska to prospective coaches that are effective.

Reactions: drubendall
Wow! If this isn't evidence that this whole thing called college sports has gotten completely out of hand, I don't know what is! Sure, let's hire coaches that have no morals, that lie and cheat their way to the top. People who cheat on their wives with cheerleaders, who flip off the fans. Yeah, that works.

You say the reason why we should do this is because it's pro football anyway, as if you don't need any character and morals in the NFL. We all saw first hand how the NFL dealt with Urban Meyer, yet you guys want that clown as our leader for a few years until he gets into trouble here or decides he's tired of us after 2-3 years.

The first thing you learn in business is that character and morals is a critical base of running a successful organization. Nobody's perfect, but the most successful people in pro and college sports are the ones who have good character. I don't want MJ as the permanent HC because of his lack of experience as a HC, but from what I've heard, there no question about his character, and that's why he's the interim coach.

Ok, probably my last post because the torches and pitch forks come out. It is embarrassing to hear Nebraska fans say Iowa sucks when they are clearly the better program … right now. A better point to make here is that Iowa seems to be happy with what they have which ain’t bad. However Nebraska fans are not happy with what we have, would appreciate what Iowa has today but aspires for more.
There, I have laid my head on the block. Chop away.

Speaking of moral outrage (and even leaving Urban aside), I find the media’s double-standard funny. We’ve had to hear about firing Solich for twenty years and Bo for the past eight. “How could you possibly fire a coach winning 9 games a year!?” “Delusional!” “This isn’t the 90s!” Meanwhile, the reaction to Chryst has been much more mixed so far, with fans and media alike actually commending Wisconsin for seeing a problem (whatever that means) and not hesitating to act quickly.

I agree that it’s about winning, 100%. At the same time, if there’s one thing the Solich and Pelini situations showed us, it’s that programs do NOT fire coaches for winning “only” 9 games a year; it’s never that simple and never solely due to win-loss record. Outsiders are always going to see it as a bad look and spew their uneducated, indignant platitudes, but when you’re a fan of the program, you’ll probably be familiar with the underlying issues and the problems that exist outside the spotlight. I’m sure there’s a lot more to the Chryst situation than meets the eye.
The main problem with this analysis is that it's not easy to find a coach who can win 9 games a year minimum over an extended period of time. When you're at that level, you have at least a chance to elevate to championship level. That's what we had with both Solich (we were in a position to win it all twice under Solich) and Pelini. You can whine all you want about them not being TO and not going 60-3 over 5 years, but the reality is that you don't usually fire a 9-10 win per season coach and replace him with a coach who does better. In all but a few cases, it only gets worse, sometimes way worse.

Another thing, there are as many losses as there are wins in team sports and "average" is 6-6. People who think that 9-3 is failure are delusional, especially today where the competition is far more intense than in the 1980s and 1990s. I love the Huskers and always will, but it's hard to argue that we got what we deserved when we fired Solich (Callahan's total failure) and then we turned around and freaking did it again with Pelini (and since then we have had 7 years of football hell).

You can bag on Solich and Pelini all you want, but at some point some of you people need to freaking wake up!

The main problem with this analysis is that it's not easy to find a coach who can win 9 games a year minimum over an extended period of time. When you're at that level, you have at least a chance to elevate to championship level. That's what we had with both Solich (we were in a position to win it all twice under Solich) and Pelini. You can whine all you want about them not being TO and not going 60-3 over 5 years, but the reality is that you don't usually fire a 9-10 win per season coach and replace him with a coach who does better. In all but a few cases, it only gets worse, sometimes way worse.

Another thing, there are as many losses as there are wins in team sports and "average" is 6-6. People who think that 9-3 is failure are delusional, especially today where the competition is far more intense than in the 1980s and 1990s. I love the Huskers and always will, but it's hard to argue that we got what we deserved when we fired Solich (Callahan's total failure) and then we turned around and freaking did it again with Pelini (and since then we have had 7 years of football hell).

You can bag on Solich and Pelini all you want, but at some point some of you people need to freaking wake up!
The only time in my lifetime I have seen it work is when Georgia did it with Mark Richt and Kirby Smart. Richt had a really good short run at Miami after til they ran him out because he wasn't good enough and they went and hired a coordinator who was far worse than him.

The only time in my lifetime I have seen it work is when Georgia did it with Mark Richt and Kirby Smart. Richt had a really good short run at Miami after til they ran him out because he wasn't good enough and they went and hired a coordinator who was far worse than him.
It did work for Georgia, but the difference is that it was a mutual separation that had been coming on for years.

Also, Richt left Miami because he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

Who’s bagging on Solich and Pelini?? I’m talking about the fact that—rightly or wrongly— there were other factors that helped contribute to their dismissal. Getting rid of them didn’t boil down to “only” winning 9 games here, and I’d be willing to bet it didn’t at Wisconsin, either.

You are for now stand by.

I think Wisconsin likely was looking for an excuse to dump Chryst and the miserable start topped by the humiliation of Bielema's win gave them that excuse. I think they really want DC Leonard as the head coach but are going to wait and see how he does the rest of the season. Leonard is getting a tryout.

Who’s bagging on Solich and Pelini?? I’m talking about the fact that—rightly or wrongly— there were other factors that helped contribute to their dismissal. Getting rid of them didn’t boil down to “only” winning 9 games here, and I’d be willing to bet it didn’t at Wisconsin, either.
The "other factors" were only excuses, not real factors. It's arguable that as far as being a philanderer and a cad, one Robert Devaney was probably worse than any of our coaches since. For crying out loud, he did Calamity Kate for God's sake.

Getting rid of them was pretty much because they were not TO circa 1993-1997.

Reactions: RaulJones
One thing I like about Alberts is that he is well spoken and seems to have an understanding of human relationships and a certain level of an ability to relate to people. That to me says he has an organized mind and the ability to see himself and outside himself....sort of like a politician or salesman be that good or bad we'll see.

I think that will help him in selling Nebraska to prospective coaches that are effective.
I think it's authentic too. I was a measly manager of a Papa John's helping my delivery driver with a 50 pizza order to UNO athletics and he was there to sign, tip and had a 8 minute conversation with me.

Reactions: Sinomatic
The "other factors" were only excuses, not real factors. It's arguable that as far as being a philanderer and a cad, one Robert Devaney was probably worse than any of our coaches since. For crying out loud, he did Calamity Kate for God's sake.

Getting rid of them was pretty much because they were not TO circa 1993-1997.
We agree, then. I wouldn’t have fired Pelini or Solich.

Reactions: RaulJones

This division?

Except the recruiting footprint of this division sucks and I can't imagine this division is all that sexy a sell to recruits outside the footprint - I can't imagine too many kids in say Texas, Florida, or California are all that wowed at the prospect of playing Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin every year.

This is trash.
No, it’s honesty.

between hand-picking Solich & “Frost just had a couple bad bounces” he has proved he cannot run the program by proxy.

he’s a legendary coach and always will be, but you don’t have to worship everything he’s done since because of blind homerism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT