ADVERTISEMENT

After reading this, I'm not so sure Frost doesn't stay at CFU

I don't know. Everyone seems to be pretty aware of the reasons he would leave, but not many are talking about why he would stay. If CFU could somehow get themselves invited to join a P5 conference, they could turn into a major player.

That too.

This is one persons opinion who talked to a few people in Orlando. Even those guys made opinionated quotes such as "Scott isn't driven by money". Yea whatever. I'm not saying he is coming but right now his recruiting is suffering. No new prospects and some very edgy commits. He knows this and he knows they are nervous with all the rumors. He could put a halt to all of this by simply saying he is staying. He isn't saying anything close to that.

This is what I believe too.

Scott is a loyal guy, and like TO, he can win 9-12 a year in this Big 8 environment.

If they can schedule 1-2 big non-conference games a year, and prep to win them, no reason why they can't compete for a spot in the Playoffs.

Plus UCF has resources to get him to $4mil a year.

They are paying him 2 mil now and he has to give some of it to his assistants to keep them happy.

This is one persons opinion who talked to a few people in Orlando. Even those guys made opinionated quotes such as "Scott isn't driven by money". Yea whatever. I'm not saying he is coming but right now his recruiting is suffering. No new prospects and some very edgy commits. He knows this and he knows they are nervous with all the rumors. He could put a halt to all of this by simply saying he is staying. He isn't saying anything close to that.

Good point.

Scott is a loyal guy, and like TO, he can win 9-12 a year in this Big 8 environment.

If they can schedule 1-2 big non-conference games a year, and prep to win them, no reason why they can't compete for a spot in the Playoffs.

The American Conference is nothing like the Big 8. The Big 8 always had multiple Top 10 teams. In 1971 the Big 8 had the #1, #2 and #3 teams in college football. There are not top 10 teams in the American Conference, they do not have automatic tie-ins to big bowls, they are small-time. UCF can't even fill their rotting, HS stadium for an undefeated team, but they can pay their coach $4 mil/year?? Scott might decide he doesn't need to compete for championships, coach in front of 90K and be a household name. He may want to coach there forever, but it won't be because UCF is somehow now a big-time, destination job. Some guys like it easy and like to be comfortable, maybe SF is one of them, I doubt it, but anything is possible.

The American Conference is nothing like the Big 8. The Big 8 always had multiple Top 10 teams. In 1971 the Big 8 had the #1, #2 and #3 teams in college football. There are not top 10 teams in the American Conference, they do not have automatic tie-ins to big bowls, they are small-time. UCF can't even fill their rotting, HS stadium for an undefeated team, but they can pay their coach $4 mil/year?? Scott might decide he doesn't need to compete for championships, coach in front of 90K and be a household name. He may want to coach there forever, but it won't be because UCF is somehow now a big-time, destination job. Some guys like it easy and like to be comfortable, maybe SF is one of them, I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Yup, that too. Was referring more to easy 9-12 wins a season. And yes, that was pretty easy for TO and OU back then.

I think he's too competitive to stay at a place where you can go undefeated and still not crack the Top 10. There's not much more he can accomplish at UCF. Most coaches are always looking for the next big challenge. He has also been pretty critical of the lack of fan support at UCF. Funny that this article claims he's some kind of God in Orlando, yet they can't even get 30k people to show up to a game.

Plus, his stock will probably never be hotter than it is right now. A couple of injuries next year could change things significantly. I remember the coach at Tulsa being a hot name last year, and this year he's 2-8. I remember DeRuyter at Fresno and Wells at Utah St being mentioned for bigger jobs after their first 2 years, now not so much.

Last edited:
They are paying him 2 mil now and he has to give some of it to his assistants to keep them happy.
It would be not only Frost that would have to work for less pay it would be his assistants - their pay would double at a P5 school and their careers get jump started also.

If Frost decides to stay at UCF he will lose assistants over it they do not have the time to wait and see if the Big12 invites them in 5 years

Don't shoot the messenger. He makes some good points.
We've already heard all those points and Dirk wrote an article summarizing what we've already heard. Meh. Good read but we've already heard all that before.

I have said from the beginning that Scott may just fool everyone and stay put. There are lots of reasons to do so. IF he truly does not care about more money and likes the area and opportunity to build something then he is in the right place.

I have said from the beginning that Scott may just fool everyone and stay put. There are lots of reasons to do so. IF he truly does not care about more money and likes the area and opportunity to build something then he is in the right place.
I had this conversation with a booster of substance a few days ago and we both thought he might choose the lower stress and more family time that UCF offers. I think I would. Having a baby changes things for a new dad.

Reactions: WHCSC
The option to stay is always there for Frost. He hasn't decided to do that, or we would already know. He has a several P5 options this year. One of these is likely to be at his alma mater, another smack dab in the middle of a recruiting locus. That may not be true next year or the next.
CFU doesn't pack their possible-fatalities of a stadium now. Doubtful then that they would fill a newer, larger one, P5 bid or not.

I think he's too competitive to stay at a place where you can go undefeated and still not crack the Top 10. There's not much more he can accomplish at UCF. Most coaches are always looking for the next big challenge. He has also been pretty critical of the lack of fan support at UCF. Funny that this article claims he's some kind of God in Orlando, yet they can't even get 30k people to show up to a game.

Plus, his stock will probably never be hotter than it is right now. A couple of injuries next year could change things significantly. I remember the coach at Tulsa being a hot name last year, and this year he's 2-8. I remember DeRuyter at Fresno and Wells at Utah St being mentioned for bigger jobs after their first 2 years, now not so much.

Agree. Big decision for him. And to think Florida and Tennessee are open right now too, with their recruiting advantages, makes it an even tougher decision.

Clearly this is the deciding article that will sway frost one way or the other, surely his mind is so malleable to make a HUGE decision based on a well written article playing devils advocate. We have heard enough fluff pieces of why he should/would come here. Putting the decision into Reality is all this article did.

UCF isnt going to be in the CFP anytime soon, i dont think SF is naive enough to think otherwise, sure he may dream and ponder the what if's but thats all it is. In the P5 if you go undefeated win your ccg it is about a 99.9% chance you are in the CFP in the G5 it is maybe 5% if that.

People whining that OWH wrote this need to take off the frosty glasses and wake up to the reality no matter what we want, he is his own man and makes his own decisions.

Last thing to keep in mind, he will likely bring a large portion of his staff, this decision could be huge for them and i dont think SF discounts that at all.

Clearly this is the deciding article that will sway frost one way or the other, surely his mind is so malleable to make a HUGE decision based on a well written article playing devils advocate. We have heard enough fluff pieces of why he should/would come here. Putting the decision into Reality is all this article did.

UCF isnt going to be in the CFP anytime soon, i dont think SF is naive enough to think otherwise, sure he may dream and ponder the what if's but thats all it is. In the P5 if you go undefeated win your ccg it is about a 99.9% chance you are in the CFP in the G5 it is maybe 5% if that.

People whining that OWH wrote this need to take off the frosty glasses and wake up to the reality no matter what we want, he is his own man and makes his own decisions.

Last thing to keep in mind, he will likely bring a large portion of his staff, this decision could be huge for them and i dont think SF discounts that at all.

Some former Huskers on that staff.

Reactions: FrostTroll

So, he is coaching in a conference that has three teams who have won NC's and two that have won multiple and multiple teams frequently end the year in the top ten???? Interdasting.... The more you know.

This is what the OWH seems to want too.

Not buying the excitement. Getting 5-10k fans into your stadium during a season like this doesn’t equate to excitement to me.

That's a good point. He knows going to Nebraska would be great for the careers of his assistants as well - either they could get promoted at UCF, or come with him to Nebraska and make significantly more money and coach in a major conference. Many of the guys on his staff have ties to Nebraska or are from the Midwest, so I don't think they'd mind making the move.

Right, so $2-3mil more a year.

Doable
Well I don't think they have unlimited resources. If so, why did they have to have a special fund drive to try to raise money for paying their assistants more? IMO I don't think Frost necessarily is driven as much by money for himself as he is driven by wanting to pay his assistants more money. That may well be why he bolts for a P5 job.

Well I don't think they have unlimited resources. If so, why did they have to have a special fund drive to try to raise money for paying their assistants more? IMO I don't think Frost necessarily is driven as much by money for himself as he is driven by wanting to pay his assistants more money. That may well be why he bolts for a P5 job.
CFU has a large student body, but there is a limit to how much the school can dun the student body for athletics. I am sure CFU is developing a donor base, but from the looks of their stadium and attendance, I'd say the fanbase needs some work. All mid-majors have dreams of the P5 and CFU's profile puts them high on the list of possible P5 adds. Then they can join F$U, UF, Miami, and any number of other P5 schools that have a recruiting footprint in FL in competing for top shelf talent.
Does SF want to wait around for all of this to (maybe) happen? Throw some more money at him, get a new stadium to replace your jenky one, fill the new one with more fans. Find more donors to make all of this happen. And of course land a power five bid. Maybe he's up for that. But I think we'd know that by now.

exactly - Its not just him its the assistants and not only the money - an OC in a P5 conference can get a HC job if he does well. An OC at UCF will not get a HC job but rather a promotion to a P5 assistant job

That's a good point. He knows going to Nebraska would be great for the careers of his assistants as well - either they could get promoted at UCF, or come with him to Nebraska and make significantly more money and coach in a major conference. Many of the guys on his staff have ties to Nebraska or are from the Midwest, so I don't think they'd mind making the move.

I think a lot of you are trying to find every reason to think he is going to NU.

Dangerous to get your hopes up. Either way

Reactions: dinglefritz
And no, I wouldn't take the job, if I were Scott Frost. As badly as I want him, and as good a job as I think he would do. Not in his best interests, IMO

Still a Husker fan.

And no, I wouldn't take the job, if I were Scott Frost. As badly as I want him, and as good a job as I think he would do. Not in his best interests, IMO

Still a Husker fan.
Maybe a Husker fan but a self loathing one then;). I see there are some on here that for some reason think everything with NU and Nebraska is bad not sure what the cause of that is but simply not true by a long ways

I think a lot of you are trying to find every reason to think he is going to NU.

Dangerous to get your hopes up. Either way

You are grasping at straws pretty wildly the other way, trying to find reasons he would stay at UCF, just like you did when you were convinced he was heading to UF.

Reactions: FrostTroll
Right, so $2-3mil more a year.

Doable
Actually we are in a position to do a package including the assistants of probably 5 million more than what they are doing. Personally I don't think they can come up with 2 million more a year. They have no additional income on the horizon as they can't sell tickets now being in the top 15.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT