ADVERTISEMENT

According to the post-game presser, Frost called the onsides kick...

allowing a high school team to shove the ball down your throat for 6.5 mins in the 4th quarter and then down a punt on the 4 yard line is not "getting a stop"

I get what you are saying and you arent wromg, but the fact is the O had the ball 2x and did zip.

Is Frost trying to get fired?
You know, you just said something here that’s been going through my mind but I didn’t want to say it due to being called a crazy conspiracy theorist.

This guy has made enough bone headed calls over the last few years that one could legitimately call into question his motives.

Hate to say it, but this is worthy of a discussion.

You know, you just said something here that’s been going through my mind but I didn’t want to say it due to being called a crazy conspiracy theorist.

This guy has made enough bone headed calls over the last few years that one could legitimately call into question his motives.

Nonsense. Dude is bad at his job, but not a masochist. These last few years have been horrible for him personally and tarnished a legacy that was set in stone. Unfortunate.

More “creativity and cooperation” sounds like an insolent child pouting about not being the play caller. He needs to go.
Man, just listened to that. I think this is another admission of poor leadership. Maybe just overanalyzing but to "think they could cooperate" a little more is not good to hear. I know it was the first game but I don't like hearing this "excuse". They have had plenty of time to get to know one another, to be comfortable in their roles and he has known he wasn't going to be calling plays for awhile. As the head man, he needs to make sure everything is silky smooth on gameday. A failure in cooperation falls 100% on him in my opinion.

In a twisted way, this type of onside kick has the best chance when nobody expects it. So if he was going to call such a play, this was probably the best time to call it.
You should be able to beat NW straight up with an 11 point lead. Making a move like that just signals that you have no confidence in your defense. You can’t give NW a short field down 2 scores. You have to make NW drive the full length of the field in that situation. If you are going to gamble, do it on defense by disguising blitzes.

Not recovering the onside kick was the least of Nebraska's problems today. I mean, it was like trying a fake punt. The coaches probably saw something that the Wildcats were doing on kickoff return, so they rolled the dice.

The inability of the defense to stop Northwestern when everyone knew they wanted to run clock was much more crucial.
no

Had the onside kick worked I still would have hated it. It would have encouraged Frost to continue with more boneheaded, untimely, gambles in the future. I can't believe he called that. I really can't.
We would've described it as ballsy....which doesn’t mean smart.

Unfortunately for Frost the very fine line between ballsy and stupid becomes pretty apparent when your ballsy call doesn't work.

I was ok (not super excited) with Frost being retained last season. Now he has had his chance, he blew it.

There should be no more fence sitting on firing Frost. That onside kick should be the final nail.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Scotty was mad because he does get to call plays anymore. He wanted to put his stamp on the game.
That’s why it was a HORRIBLE IDEA to hire a petulant child to coach. I tried telling everyone, and was ran off. I hope the frosturbators are enjoying Mr. .333

Way more truth to this than many would understand.

allowing a high school team to shove the ball down your throat for 6.5 mins in the 4th quarter and then down a punt on the 4 yard line is not "getting a stop"
Just thinking that myself. A "stop" is not punting and pinning a team inside their ten with 6:50 left...and letting them beat the sh!t out of your defensive front...all the way to your own 40.

Reactions: king_kong_
Seems about right. That is all.
Bottom line that playcall comes down to ego. It's what happens when you want to be seen as a supersmart creative genius and you've been stripped of offensive playcalling duties by your athletic director, but he didn't think to strip you of special teams playcalling. In terms of football, the risk and the reward didn't make sense. But when your team was winning without you, in terms of ego, it was time for a hail mary.

Way more truth to this than many would understand.
What would be way more worthy of discussion is whether SF is starting to show signs of CTE. Stop the conspiracy stuff (our society doesn’t need any more of it). What would be much more likely than a far fetched fantasy if SF upending his life so he could bring destruction to Husker Nation is chronic brain trauma. SF took thousands of brutal shots to his head. one symptom of CTE is lack of inhibition. Some will call it ego, but 99.9 percent of coaches would have had the inhibition necessary to not go through with the onside kick, even if they thought about it. SF was a very successful college player, played pro ball for 5 years, and was a very successful coach/coordinator for successful teams. I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but something has changed with his basic decision making/thought process. It could be the stress of the job and other factors, but the inhibition trigger in his brain has become dysfunctional.

What would be way more worthy of discussion is whether SF is starting to show signs of CTE. Stop the conspiracy stuff (our society doesn’t need any more of it). What would be much more likely than a far fetched fantasy if SF upending his life so he could bring destruction to Husker Nation is chronic brain trauma. SF took thousands of brutal shots to his head. one symptom of CTE is lack of inhibition. Some will call it ego, but 99.9 percent of coaches would have had the inhibition necessary to not go through with the onside kick, even if they thought about it. SF was a very successful college player, played pro ball for 5 years, and was a very successful coach/coordinator for successful teams. I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but something has changed with his basic decision making/thought process. It could be the stress of the job and other factors, but the inhibition trigger in his brain has become dysfunctional.
My non-professional opinion is that he's a fuc*ing egomaniac who will risk the outcome to feed that ego and have something to talk about that HE did to help secure the win.

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if years from now we found out there was something going on that lead to all these bizarre decisions.

It is a worthy discussion to discuss whether he is at the point with this job where he is seeking a way out. And the quickest way to escape would be to get himself fired.

You should be able to beat NW straight up with an 11 point lead. Making a move like that just signals that you have no confidence in your defense. You can’t give NW a short field down 2 scores. You have to make NW drive the full length of the field in that situation. If you are going to gamble, do it on defense by disguising blitzes.
Pretty sure disguising blitzes is against team policy. Also, who needs blitzing when you got Mr. Quarter Million reaking havoc all day long? Just imagine how much we will have to pay for someone to actually come in and produce? Quarter Mill for a guy with zero qb pressures ... how much will it cost us for a transfer who will be able to get a sack?

Pretty sure disguising blitzes is against team policy. Also, who needs blitzing when you got Mr. Quarter Million reaking havoc all day long? Just imagine how much we will have to pay for someone to actually come in and produce? Quarter Mill for a guy with zero qb pressures ... how much will it cost us for a transfer who will be able to get a sack?
And yet he had 10 quiet tackles. 4 solo and 6 assists.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I'm not defending the guy. Not every EDGE player gets a sack every game regardless of opponent.

How much of that Quarter Mil was your money? Mine was zip.
Ha! Of course you are, your pissy response is a clear indication. What does how much I paid have to do with it?

Ha! Of course you are, your pissy response is a clear indication. What does how much I paid have to do with it?
Would you have been more pissed if the NIL was a million? They paid what the market would bear.

He was the top EDGE player available, maybe his Big 12 numbers won't happen against the bigger tackles he will face this year. I'd still rather have him than not.

Now, if NU is starting game 4 against OU and he still doesn't have a sack, Houston, we have a problem.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The onside kick was like Frost's tenure at NU in a nutshell. His teams can't block or tackle to save their lives, and they're getting their butts kicked at the line scrimmage by a very mediocre opponent. But just when it looks like NU might pull out a win despite these shortcomings, he decides to show everyone what an unconventional genius he is.

The onside kick was like Frost's tenure at NU in a nutshell. His teams can't block or tackle to save their lives, and they're getting their butts kicked at the line scrimmage by a very mediocre opponent. But just when it looks like NU might pull out a win despite these shortcomings, he decides to show everyone what an unconventional genius he is.
Frost will spend his entire coaching career waiting for someone to mention him as an offensive genius in the same breath as Osborne. (He might want to exhale any minute now).

Last edited:
Seems about right. That is all.
I was on a flight from Seattle to Raleigh, NC the whole time the game was being played. The plane’s Wi-Fi was terrible. It reminded me of the old dial-up internet connection. So I missed the first 14 points that the Huskers scored. Got up and went to the restroom after the Huskers went up 28-17. I am thinking I finally can relax. Get back to my seat and the Huskers are up 28-24 and look like scared little girls. It was game over. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a bonehead coach, but even he could sense the Huskers were imploding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT