ADVERTISEMENT

About Satterfield...

What stuck out for Rhule to take him in? Sure, he did well the last two games but otherwise I didn't see anything great out of him either. He wasn't well-liked by SC fans while he was there, so I'm skeptical of that hire...

Am I the only person who feels this way?
Watch Temple the first year Rhule was HC. Then watch them the last year. Then get back to us. Rhule has a system and knows what he wants. We have to trust the process even though it is following the last guy’s method of hiring his friends.

The difference is most of these guys have much better track records.

Good if you actually watch what they do. Control the ball, run clock, and RedZone efficiency.

We've seen the Frost years and how 500+ yards between the 20's means very little...

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
Temple:
96th in Total Offense in 2013
117th in Total Offense in 2014
96th in Total Offense in 2015

South Carolina:
111th in Total Offense in 2021
77th in Total Offense in 2022

Not good might be an understatement.
this year So Car ran the exact same amount of plays as us against an infinitely more difficult schedule

they were in the top 30 in the country in yards per play and offensive TDs

Good if you actually watch what they do. Control the ball, lol clock, and RedZone efficiency.

We've seen the Frost years and how 500+ yards between the 20's means very little...
Move the ball, score points, stop the other team from moving the ball and stop them from scoring points. These are the keys to winning games.

Teams that do not move the ball do not win championships. It really is just that simple.

Temple:

South Carolina:

Not good might be an understatement.
Thanks. Anyone who can look at these stats (facts) and reason to themselves this is a good hire cannot be helped. Its the same group of people that wanted to give Scott Frost just a couple more years to turn things around....just a couple more years....its turning around....he just needs more time. HA! Good coaches turn programs around FAST. Look at Lincoln Riley (who's a snake by the way) at USC. I can't stand him as a person but I also can't deny his ability to win on the field.

And good assistant coaches are the bedrock of a winning program and coaches like Satterfield, with his abysmal past performance rankings, won't get the job done

What did you say it was, 65% that Mickey Joseph was locked in as the next head coach?
Not me. I knew from Day 1 Mickey was never gonna be hired as the HC. He was never qualified for that role. I wasn't privy to the coaching candidates and who's agents Trev was talking to. I think Rhule is a good hire given his proven track record of turning programs around. The best indicator of future performance is one's past record over a long period of time and Matt Rhule's is pretty good. The flip side of that is also true with others (Donovan Raiola)

Not me. I knew from Day 1 Mickey was never gonna be hired as the HC. He was never qualified for that role. I wasn't privy to the coaching candidates and who's agents Trev was talking to. I think Rhule is a good hire given his proven track record of turning programs around
What's the story on him as a recruiter?

Thanks. Anyone who can look at these stats (facts) and reason to themselves this is a good hire cannot be helped. Its the same group of people that wanted to give Scott Frost just a couple more years to turn things around....just a couple more years....its turning around....he just needs more time. HA! Good coaches turn programs around FAST. Look at Lincoln Riley (who's a snake by the way) at USC. I can't stand him as a person but I also can't deny his ability to win on the field.

And good assistant coaches are the bedrock of a winning program and coaches like Satterfield, with his abysmal past performance rankings, won't get the job done
do you care to comment on the fact So Car wound up in the top 30 in terms of yards/play and offensive touchdowns?

they run their offense at a deliberate pace, and as a result, run 100 plays less than the top total offense (TENN, which So Car outscored and outgained by a ton head to head)

anyone who looks at total offense (most overrated stat in all of football according to one B1G coach) as the end-all, be-all has no idea what they're talking about

just like yards/attempt is the most telling stat for a quarterback, yards/play is the most telling stat for an offense

literally only 3 year olds who have never heard of football are the only people on Earth who don't know this

Reactions: BleedRed78
this year So Car ran the exact same amount of plays as us against an infinitely more difficult schedule

they were in the top 30 in the country in yards per play and offensive TDs
Total Offense and Total Defense stats tell you what you need to know. All other stats are trivial. Below are the last 10 National Champs and what their Total Offense and Total Defense rankings were at years' end.

Georgia - 26 / 2
Alabama - 4 / 32
LSU - 1 / 21
Clemson - 3 / 5
Alabama - 29 / 1
Clemson - 12 / 8
Alabama - 45 / 3
OSU - 9 / 19
FSU - 6 / 3
Alabama - 31 / 1

All were Top 10 in one and most were at least Top 30 in both.

Color it however you want, but this OC hire does not give me a lot of hope.

Satterfield was the OC for Temple from 13-15 and South Carolina the past two years.

Temple:

South Carolina:

These are worrisome stats. Is Rhule bringing this guy in because he's more talented than these numbers indicate :rolleyes: , or simply because he knows the guy personally? Does Saban only hire his buddies, or does he hire on talent alone?

My enthusiasm for the future of the program has gone from about an 8 back down to about a 3.
In 2021 NU was # 20 in the country and won 3 games.

In 2022 NU was # 101 in the country and won 4 games.

It seems like Rhule wants to begin his regime by trying to establish physicality and the running game. NU may be a really boring team on offense, but how could it be more boring than the last 4-5 games NU played this year?

I'm still going without judgment on Rhule for 1 1/2 years before I start bitching (too much).

Total Offense and Total Defense stats tell you what you need to know. All other stats are trivial. Below are the last 10 National Champs and what their Total Offense and Total Defense rankings were at years' end.

Georgia - 26 / 2
Alabama - 4 / 32
LSU - 1 / 21
Clemson - 3 / 5
Alabama - 29 / 1
Clemson - 12 / 8
Alabama - 45 / 3
OSU - 9 / 19
FSU - 6 / 3
Alabama - 31 / 1

All were Top 10 in one and most were at least Top 30 in both.

Color it however you want, but this OC hire does not give me a lot of hope.
I want to see the 10 years before for each championship season for each coordinator

guessing they weren't perennial top 30s

thanks in advance

Reactions: BleedRed78
Move the ball, score points, stop the other team from moving the ball and stop them from scoring points. These are the keys to winning games.

Teams that do not move the ball do not win championships. It really is just that simple.
So are we expecting a championship this year?

I want to see the 10 years before for each championship season for each coordinator

guessing they weren't perennial top 30s

thanks in advance
Be my guest if you want to research them all; however, for the heck of it, I reviewed the history of the OCs and DCs for the last two national champs. Below are where their teams ended the season ranked in Total Offense or Total Defense when they were the OC or DC for 1A football teams the past 10 years.

2021 Georgia - OC: Todd Munken -- DC: Dan Lanning
Munken at Oklahoma State
2011 - 3
2012 - 4

Munken at Georgia
2020 - 41
2021 - 26
2022 - 8

Lanning at Georgia
2019 - 3
2020 - 12
2021 - 2

2020 Alabama - OC: Steve Sarkisian -- DC: Pete Golding
Sarkisian at Bama
2019 - 6
2020 - 4

Golding at UTSA
2016 - 55
2017 - 5

Golding at Bama
2018 - 16
2019 - 20
2020 - 32
2021 - 7
2022 - 15

Perhaps our new OC will develop into a championship-caliber play caller, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT