ADVERTISEMENT

a standard for the idiom "blue blood" ...

For fans who wish their program’s history began in 2002, that’s probably true. But all-time wins don’t lie.
by that measure harvard, minnesota, princeton, and yale are blue bloods.

yale.jpg

championships are far more important than wins, with all due respect to your metrics rationalizations.

championships are far more important than wins, with all due respect to your metrics rationalizations.
Demonstrably false. Unfortunately, national championships have become far more subjective than WINS. Nebraska could claim more titles than the 5 trophies in our case, just by using different “metrics” or NCAA-designated major selectors. That’s what allows a school like Iowa to suddenly (and only recently) claim 5 national championships when they’ve never once finished # 1 in the AP or Coaches Poll.

I guess you didn’t see the all-time wins tier that HBK posted the other day.

Sometimes I think you’re a halfway serious poster, but Walleye was right: you just can’t help yourself.
He's a troll. That's it. They come in many different forms but the "Hey, I'm just a friendly guy that likes to talk football" one is the most insidious.

the term "blue blood" is really subjective though, isn't it. i'm sure most here would say N is blue, even though it's actually red. but if you ask folks east of the muddy river, they would challenge the thought. it's pretty much in the eye of the rival as to who is and who isn't sans a few: notre dame, ohio state, alabama, texas, usc, ou, michigan, uga. getting upset about it is thus a useless exercise.
Being a blueblood has to do with through out the college football history.
Nebraska is only one of 8 programs that have won more than 900 games.

Despite having 7 of the 8 losing seasons Nebraska is in the top 10 in all time winning percentage along with being 9th in all time bowl games..

Not many programs have won back to back National championships, Nebraska has accomplished this twice..

Talking blue bloods in the B1G. In the last 10 years, based on alumni money, NIL, stadium, recruiting, etc. Who has under-acheived, over-achieved, been right where they should be? I saw an interaction where a Penn St. fan is claiming they have actually over-achieved because they have an old stadium, lack of blue-chip recruits, lack of money... Etc.

Michigan - Until last year, underachieving
Nebraska - Severely underachieving team
Ohio St - Underachieving as far as National Titles. Otherwise just about right
Penn St. - This is a tough one. I'd say underachieving because I feel like Franklin sucks as a coach. Great recruiter, but there is always a lot of chatter about this is the year they knock off OSU and Mich and it never happens. With that said, they have had 2 consecutive 10 win seasons and a Rose Bowl win. They are an interesting case study because the two years before that were not good at all.

Reactions: Frozone
Some of these lists are just retarded. Yes Nebraska is a blue blood. Anyone who argues that point is just using recency bias. In fact, I'd put nebraska solidly above us in any blue blood list. Until we win more titles I think we are solidly in the "fringe blue blood" category. Nebraska is a long way from losing blue blood status. I'm old enough to remember just how dominant you were during your prime.

Talking blue bloods in the B1G. In the last 10 years, based on alumni money, NIL, stadium, recruiting, etc. Who has under-acheived, over-achieved, been right where they should be? I saw an interaction where a Penn St. fan is claiming they have actually over-achieved because they have an old stadium, lack of blue-chip recruits, lack of money... Etc.

Michigan - Until last year, underachieving
Nebraska - Severely underachieving team
Ohio St - Underachieving as far as National Titles. Otherwise just about right
Penn St. - This is a tough one. I'd say underachieving because I feel like Franklin sucks as a coach. Great recruiter, but there is always a lot of chatter about this is the year they knock off OSU and Mich and it never happens. With that said, they have had 2 consecutive 10 win seasons and a Rose Bowl win. They are an interesting case study because the two years before that were not good at all.
penn state will be most interesting to watch this year with the addition of ku's former offensive coordinator andy kotelnicki. his ku offense was like trying to capture a nest of jackrabbits in an open pasture.

ohio state obviously bought the best roster of talent in the country. everyone says it is do or die for coach day. he's catching michigan in transition, so that should help.

nebraska is also in transition with its 5* quarterback. he'll have his moments both directions. but N should be vastly improved record wise given the schedule which is backloaded. looks like top 20 7-0 start, then the show begins. anything less would be disappointing.

Last edited:
lol.. too many of you all live in your own little echo chamber and you let 1 dude upset your safe space here? Man that is some weak mind stuff.
It was a joke. I could not care less what this dude does. I just like to give him the business for spending so much time trying to troll a fanbase like he does. I also poke fun at his hyperbolic comments like "all the talking heads say..."

Since the question was: “A standard for the idiom ‘blue blood’”

A starting point is that blue bloods never use the phrase or wonder if they are royalty or not.

oftentimes fans consider themselves blue bloods by status rather than accomplishment - like flagship universities in that way. so it depends on where their school hangs on the pendulum of time, whether it's today's trophies or yesterday's history lesson.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT