ADVERTISEMENT

A question for out of State Nebraskans (like me)

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I live in PA as my moniker implies. But every year I fly out to Lincoln for one home game since I grew up in Lincoln and it is in my blood. I cannot go a whole season without being in that stadium at least once!

So I am having a debate with my sister as to which game I should come to this year. I like to come for a game I have confidence we will win and I like to come when it is still warm. So .. I say North Dakota. My sister says that is bullshit and I should go to a "big game" like OU or Wisconsin. I am torn. I hate spending buckets of money only to watch us lose. On the other hand, should we upset either of those teams it would be an electric and thrilling moment. Beating North Dakota is no great thrill, but it sure as hell beats losing. And so my question is to my fellow out of State Husker fans who also like to travel to Lincoln for one game a year. What is your advice? In past decades it was a no brainer ... we always had a good chance of winning no matter the opponent and so I always favored the big games. But now that we are a bottom tier program (in terms of record only I mean) and we lose with consistency to any team with a pulse my fear is that I will attend a game where we not only lose but get our asses kicked and embarrassed. What to do?!

Personally, I like the big game environment. The stadium is just different when it’s an Oklahoma versus a North Dakota.

But yeah, sucks to go back for an L. Still, I say take a chance.

Going to Rutgers as well?

That North Dakota game is just as likely to be 100 degrees as it is to be 80 degrees. I hate being in Memorial Stadium when it's hot so you can count me out for that game. Give me a crisp fall day.

When I lived in SoCal and came back for one or two every year it was always the two best opponents we played that year. Like people said already...the stadium is more electric (unless it is a total blowout). Also I always took a relative or two to the games and they appreciated me getting good seats for those "big" games they would have had to pay a lot of money for.

I live in PA as my moniker implies. But every year I fly out to Lincoln for one home game since I grew up in Lincoln and it is in my blood. I cannot go a whole season without being in that stadium at least once!

So I am having a debate with my sister as to which game I should come to this year. I like to come for a game I have confidence we will win and I like to come when it is still warm. So .. I say North Dakota. My sister says that is bullshit and I should go to a "big game" like OU or Wisconsin. I am torn. I hate spending buckets of money only to watch us lose. On the other hand, should we upset either of those teams it would be an electric and thrilling moment. Beating North Dakota is no great thrill, but it sure as hell beats losing. And so my question is to my fellow out of State Husker fans who also like to travel to Lincoln for one game a year. What is your advice? In past decades it was a no brainer ... we always had a good chance of winning no matter the opponent and so I always favored the big games. But now that we are a bottom tier program (in terms of record only I mean) and we lose with consistency to any team with a pulse my fear is that I will attend a game where we not only lose but get our asses kicked and embarrassed. What to do?!
It's already embarrassing to be a Husker fan these days. Might as well go down in flames for a big game.

I don’t go back every year, but I try to go back for a game every couple of years. Always a big game. It’s just more fun. Oregon was electric. Also went back for the Wisconsin game when we were in it until Wisconsin stopped screwing around and just handed it to Taylor every play…yeah we lost, but man what an atmosphere. The loss stings when you travel, but I also don’t make the trek to Lincoln to see a half dead Lincoln when a cupcake comes to town. Not worth the money when the game is the cheapest part of the trip

I come back every year for Labor Day. There's always a home game, the weather is generally good, and it's a 3-day weekend. Don't really care who we play.

Came back for the Michigan game and had a blast. I expected something stupid to happen to us late so when it did I was prepared and headed to the car. Was a really fun day and game anyway

im hoping to head up for ou this fall.
my boss gave me his donor tickets this year Norman and it was great.
being a fan is supporting your team.
regardless.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

This is a great question for me it would depend on who I was going with.

The right group makes any day in Lincoln during a Husker game a fun time.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I only live 150 miles away but only attend 1 home game each year which I also do with the NFL's Vikings. My recommendation is to go to the biggest game you can, or attend a game which is rated as close to a toss up as possible. The feeling of electricity/energy at those games is on a whole other level.

Sure there is a possibility of a loss, but soaking in the atmosphere of the pregame, followed by the energy of the crowd after big plays or swings of momentum and finally the lifetime memories of a big win easily outweighs a possible loss that doesn't sting as much as you may think when looking back.

For me, this Oklahoma, or any Oklahoma game is a no brainer to attend as they are still ingrained in my mind as the "hated" rival and must be beaten at all costs, lol.

Came back for the Michigan game and had a blast. I expected something stupid to happen to us late so when it did I was prepared and headed to the car. Was a really fun day and game anyway
Amen, went down with two friends. We hit up O street for fun had a blast and brought in shooters to the game. One of the best times I have had in the stadium.

Amen, went down with two friends. We hit up O street for fun had a blast and brought in shooters to the game. One of the best times I have had in the stadium.
Yeah as I have gotten older it's about the tailgate and hanging with friends. I was able to see them win 3 championships when I was in college. Can't ask for more. If they win that's awesome but if they lose it just doesn't kill me like it used to. That being said I plan on coming back for the OU game and Holy hell a win there would be so much fun

Does the lock win seem better than a chance of being in Memorial and winning against OU?

Yeah as I have gotten older it's about the tailgate and hanging with friends. I was able to see them win 3 championships when I was in college. Can't ask for more. If they win that's awesome but if they lose it just doesn't kill me like it used to. That being said I plan on coming back for the OU game and Holy hell a win there would be so much fun
Yep...O street, Railyard, tailgating and hangin with friends.

Spend the extra money and go to the OU game. The chances that we win the game are slim to none. However, if by some slim chance they win the game, you will be kicking yourself for years to come for not going. Take the chance.

I’m about 7 hours away in NW Arkansas. Last game I went to was Frost’s debut against Akron. I’ve never seen them lose in person. Closest I came was the kick/pick game against the Buffs. Anymore I’d say go to a game they could win. So either North Dakota or Iowa… LOL. Might just be the only one all season… I’m not on the Frost train.

As another
PAHUSKER139 person/ NU Alumni, I too like to travel to Lincoln and an away game to watch watch a game. Unfortunately I chose the Purdue game last year.

Personally, I like the big game environment. The stadium is just different when it’s an Oklahoma versus a North Dakota.

But yeah, sucks to go back for an L. Still, I say take a chance.

Going to Rutgers as well?
Yes I am going to the Rutgers game. My daughter lives in Jersey and her husband went to Rutgers. So we will be there! Rutgers fans are nice. The stadium is small but convenient and comfortable. And… we have beaten them with consistency.

Reactions: HuskerJag
OU this year ain't the OU of last year.....right now you have to feel like you got a shot as good as we played them last year. In short, OU.
After surveying all the advice here I am going with the OU game. I think we have a shot despite my comment above about getting our balls crushed. And heck… I am 63 and this is OU! I was one of that mob that stormed the field after we won in 78. I was all of 20 years old. So… I know it is just nostalgia, but OU remains a special game to me.

Big game without a doubt. You can still leave a North Dakota game angry if we only win by a couple scores.
This is the post that pushed me to choosing the OU game. It is so true. Years ago I flew out for our game against South Dakota State thinking it would be a breeze. We barely won and played like shit. I left that game depressed and pissed. Thanks for reminding me of this point.

Reactions: Herbert Husker
Went to the OU game in Norman last year... it was electric! sooooo much going on it just felt awesome! granted it did help watching the fans around me melt down when we were exceeding expectations! any game is fun but that OU game this year in Lincoln will have the energy you're seeking, Win or lose!

And I have not been to a game in Lincoln in 5 years since moving to Texas! This year that changes!

I came back for the 2 pick 6 Northern Illinois game so just because it’s not a great opponent doesn’t ensure we’re going to win

It's a real bummer when you go to a game like Northern Illinois that you are suppose to win and you take a loss. Haven't been back since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT