ADVERTISEMENT

A little about Riley - from an Outsider

You forgot to add; "*Disclaimer* That is an opinion, not factual."

It was far from just an opinion

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...g-decision-to-leave-oregon-state-bittersweet-

Riley said he first got a phone call from Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst on Monday afternoon -- hours after a post-season meeting with OSU AD Bob De Carolis.

Three sources told me that De Carolis wanted to eliminate multiyear contracts for Beaver assistant coaches -- something Riley had fought hard for in recent years -- and also wanted to renegotiate Riley's deal to pare the years remaining down from seven.

Did Riley feel his future with the OSU program was in doubt?

"Let's just say it's a new start for me and a new start for Oregon State," he said. "I hope it works out well on both ends."

Reactions: HuskerDana
The thing you all are missing from the OP is the difficulty in maintaining success at smaller and lesser funded schools. The point the OP was making is that had Riley left Oregon St after the 2008 season or before, Bellotti believes he could have and would have had success at a bigger school. There is a reason Saban left Michigan St and Franklin left Vandy, Paul Chryst left Pitt, Rich Rodriguez left WV for Michigan, those are just off the top of my head. A guy like Larry Fedora was a hot commodity at Southern Miss and got the UNC job. Now he is sort of stuck in the 7-9 win range, cant win enough to get out and good enough to keep his job. A good coach getting a lower level P5 school from 3 wins to 8 or 9 is a whole lot easier than keeping it at 9 wins and getting it to 11 or 12.

Mike Leach at Texas Tech, couldn't get over the hump, again Franklin at Vandy couldn't get over the 9 win threshold. The aforementioned Fedora, Cutcliffe at Duke, are a couple of more. Some believe Fitzgerald would be a great coach at bigger school with a bigger budget and lesser academic restrictions.

Two days before Mike Riley was offered the job at Nebraska the local Corvallis paper ran an editorial with the headline:

Three Reasons Not to Fire Mike Riley

If the local paper has an editorial article with that title, you are in some pretty good trouble.

Reactions: nebcountry
I am not sure you know what you are talking about. First of all it is Mike Bellotti not Bolletti. Sounds like a made up conversation with Bellotti to substantiate your story. (When I saw Belotti on the golf course in Bend, Oregon the summer before last he laughed at my Nebraska hat. Well not really but it makes a great story) I don't know where you are from in PAC 12 country but most of us here know the NAIA school is not Linden College but Linfield College (the same school OC Danny Langsdorf played Qb at). I don't want to take the time to verify your report Riley's 29-23 record against the the Pac-12 minus Stanford and Oregon. Well one, Stanford before Harbaugh was very up and down. U Dub and Washington State were in turmoil. Both schools going through some bad coaches. Cal was not winning games. UCLA was underachieving. The PAC 12 was simply not the conference it is today. Your story about what Mike Riley will do is just more fantasy. It's speculation.
Sorry, grew up next to Linden, Cal. Had Linden on the brain. Corrected.

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sp...g-decision-to-leave-oregon-state-bittersweet-

Riley said he first got a phone call from Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst on Monday afternoon -- hours after a post-season meeting with OSU AD Bob De Carolis.

Three sources told me that De Carolis wanted to eliminate multiyear contracts for Beaver assistant coaches -- something Riley had fought hard for in recent years -- and also wanted to renegotiate Riley's deal to pare the years remaining down from seven.

"Let's just say it's a new start for me and a new start for Oregon State," he said. "I hope it works out well on both ends."

Far from fact, there is tons of room for supposition and inference depending on your agenda. Riley was 60 with a 7 year deal that continued to roll over, if I recall correctly. Getting up in age, retirement was getting closer, Riley with a 7 year deal would have been in a better position to negotiate a buyout when he retired. That is just good business on the part of the AD. Secondly, you didn't mention what his buyout would have been if he was fired. Was that a part of the renegotiation or was it just the fact that the AD wanted a contract more in line what other FBS coaches were getting 4-5 year deals?

The comment about a new start for him and a new start for Oregon St isn't at all controversial. That is about the only thing that is 100% fact in your cut and paste. Riley was starting new and so was Oregon St. Look what Riley leaving has done to Oregon St. They went from 12-13 overall and 6-12 in the league in Riley's last 2 years to 6-18 overall and 3-15 in the league under the Andersen. So far this year Andersen and Oregon St has lost all 4 games to FBS opponents by 31,34,29, and 35 points.

The thing you all are missing from the OP is the difficulty in maintaining success at smaller and lesser funded schools. The point the OP was making is that had Riley left Oregon St after the 2008 season or before, Bellotti believes he could have and would have had success at a bigger school. There is a reason Saban left Michigan St and Franklin left Vandy, Paul Chryst left Pitt, Rich Rodriguez left WV for Michigan, those are just off the top of my head. A guy like Larry Fedora was a hot commodity at Southern Miss and got the UNC job. Now he is sort of stuck in the 7-9 win range, cant win enough to get out and good enough to keep his job. A good coach getting a lower level P5 school from 3 wins to 8 or 9 is a whole lot easier than keeping it at 9 wins and getting it to 11 or 12.

Mike Leach at Texas Tech, couldn't get over the hump, again Franklin at Vandy couldn't get over the 9 win threshold. The aforementioned Fedora, Cutcliffe at Duke, are a couple of more. Some believe Fitzgerald would be a great coach at bigger school with a bigger budget and lesser academic restrictions.

This is true. But it is also MR fault for NOT leaving or not having the chance to leave (Maybe UCLA and Bama).

Two days before Mike Riley was offered the job at Nebraska the local Corvallis paper ran an editorial with the headline:

Three Reasons Not to Fire Mike Riley

If the local paper has an editorial article with that title, you are in some pretty good trouble.

What is that editor saying about the Andersen hire? Easy to give an opinion in a newspaper.

Reactions: HuskerO
This is true. But it is also MR fault for NOT leaving or not having the chance to leave (Maybe UCLA and Bama).

I don't think anyone is looking for who's fault it is. The OP was detailing a conversation he had with Bellotti, where Bellotti said had Riley left Oregon St he would have been successful. But if you want to go down that path, of course it's Riley's fault he didn't leave. He chose to stay home to coach. That is a choice people make everyday in all walks of life. Additionally, he did leave, and chose to come back. Again this is a post about what Bellotti said, not a post of what Riley wished he would have done. Assigning fault is asinine.

Reactions: RedMyMind
I don't think anyone is looking for who's fault it is. The OP was detailing a conversation he had with Bellotti, where Bellotti said had Riley left Oregon St he would have been successful. But if you want to go down that path, of course it's Riley's fault he didn't leave. He chose to stay home to coach. That is a choice people make everyday in all walks of life. Additionally, he did leave, and chose to come back. Again this is a post about what Bellotti said, not a post of what Riley wished he would have done. Assigning fault is asinine.
No it isn't.

No it isn't.

Yes it is. The whole post was between 2 people not named Mike Riley discussing what Mike Riley could have done. Assigning fault for him not doing something different is stupid. Riley made the choices that he wanted to make. There is no fault in doing that. Again we all make those choices. If you choose to live in a dump, and I say you could move to a better place. I guess technically it is your fault for living in a dump, but it's your choice to do so. What sense does it make to assign fault though, as a grown man you did what you did. That doesn't mean me and some stranger can't say well if JRE had moved to a better place he would have had more success. Which is inherently differnt than saying it's JRE's fault that he doesn't live in a better place. Who cares who is at fault.

Reactions: RedMyMind
What is that editor saying about the Andersen hire? Easy to give an opinion in a newspaper.
The point is that the seat is pretty hot if the local rag has to write an editorial trying to help you keep your job. I imagine the seat is getting pretty hot for Anderson too.

Yes it is. The whole post was between 2 people not named Mike Riley discussing what Mike Riley could have done. Assigning fault for him not doing something different is stupid. Riley made the choices that he wanted to make. There is no fault in doing that. Again we all make those choices. If you choose to live in a dump, and I say you could move to a better place. I guess technically it is your fault for living in a dump, but it's your choice to do so. What sense does it make to assign fault though, as a grown man you did what you did. That doesn't mean me and some stranger can't say well if JRE had moved to a better place he would have had more success. Which is inherently differnt than saying it's JRE's fault that he doesn't live in a better place. Who cares who is at fault.

You don't know that the poster isn't Mike Riley.

And again, it is not stupid.

The point is that the seat is pretty hot if the local rag has to write an editorial trying to help you keep your job. I imagine the seat is getting pretty hot for Anderson too.

It's an opinion piece in the mid 2010's. There are literally 100s of shows on TV and radio where people give their opinion. In this day and age, if a coach isn't winning half their games by year 2, they are on the hot seat. Kevin Sumlin is on the hot seat and is winning 68% of his games and 55% of his games in the SEC. But Dan Mullen is winning 59% of his games overall and 45% of his SEC games and he is a candidate for all the top jobs.

That's entirely different than what TulsaTom said which was; "The AD at OSU however was not going to let Mike and the same coaches return in 2015 because the ship was sinking."

That contract was ridiculous for any coach to receive and dumb for any AD to approve. The contact gave Riley an extra year, every single year Riley made a bowl game. We've seen you can go 6-6 or even 5-7 to make a bowl game so of course the AD wanted to restructure Riley's contract, but that doesn't mean Riley or any of his staff were out the door in 2015 or any time shortly after.

TT post is still an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Far from fact, there is tons of room for supposition and inference depending on your agenda. Riley was 60 with a 7 year deal that continued to roll over, if I recall correctly. Getting up in age, retirement was getting closer, Riley with a 7 year deal would have been in a better position to negotiate a buyout when he retired. That is just good business on the part of the AD. Secondly, you didn't mention what his buyout would have been if he was fired. Was that a part of the renegotiation or was it just the fact that the AD wanted a contract more in line what other FBS coaches were getting 4-5 year deals?

The comment about a new start for him and a new start for Oregon St isn't at all controversial. That is about the only thing that is 100% fact in your cut and paste. Riley was starting new and so was Oregon St. Look what Riley leaving has done to Oregon St. They went from 12-13 overall and 6-12 in the league in Riley's last 2 years to 6-18 overall and 3-15 in the league under the Andersen. So far this year Andersen and Oregon St has lost all 4 games to FBS opponents by 31,34,29, and 35 points.
I really do not believe OSU would have ever fired Riley, that would have been like firing their Devaney. I do think and the sentiment was at the time that some assistants were in the hot seat, mainly Banker, Read and to a lesser extent Cavanaugh. I think the tone was Mike Riley can stay but some of these guys have to go.

The irony is he fired Banker and Read anyhow. There were some very puzzling hires when he came aboard that I feel had more to do with loyalty to friends than it had to do that these were the guys to bring NU back.

Either way there are some direct quotes by Riley I guess you can read into then what you want

That's entirely different than what TulsaTom said which was; "The AD at OSU however was not going to let Mike and the same coaches return in 2015 because the ship was sinking."

That contract was ridiculous for any coach to receive and dumb for any AD to approve. The contact gave Riley an extra year, every single year Riley made a bowl game. We've seen you can go 6-6 or even 5-7 to make a bowl game so of course the AD wanted to restructure Riley's contract, but that doesn't mean Riley or any of his staff were out the door in 2015 or any time shortly after.

TT post is still an opinion.
It doesnt mean things were all rosy in Beaver land either

It doesnt mean things were all rosy in Beaver land either
Didn’t call it rosy... just let Tulsa know that the article he posted wasn’t a statement of fact that Riley was soon to be fired.

Tulsa likes to exaggerate things to rile the masses, as you no doubt know.

Reactions: HuskerO
It's an opinion piece in the mid 2010's. There are literally 100s of shows on TV and radio where people give their opinion. In this day and age, if a coach isn't winning half their games by year 2, they are on the hot seat. Kevin Sumlin is on the hot seat and is winning 68% of his games and 55% of his games in the SEC. But Dan Mullen is winning 59% of his games overall and 45% of his SEC games and he is a candidate for all the top jobs.
I don't think you are following. 1. People were calling for Riley's head (he had only won 2 out of his last 12 conference games remember). 2. The AD was unhappy. He and Riley would subsequently have a meeting that did not go well. This info was widely reported. 3. The local rag took to defending Riley. People don't write editorials in favor of "not firing" someone if there is no chance that person would get fired.

That is part of his legacy.

it is all about expectations and trends.. Taxas A-M isn't paying Sumlin the 7th highest salary in the nation for what amounts to a losing record in the SEC after his first year. While certainly expectations within any fan base can be unrealistic the head coaches are making millions with almost automatic contract renewals such that if fired they continue to collect for 3-5 years. It is a high risk - high reward occupation that banks you millions for years even after being fired.

Any coach is going to take some heat if it looks like it is going to be a dog fight to get to 6-6 in year three at Nebraska.

I don't think you are following. 1. People were calling for Riley's head (he had only won 2 out of his last 12 conference games remember). 2. The AD was unhappy. He and Riley would subsequently have a meeting that did not go well. This info was widely reported. 3. The local rag took to defending Riley. People don't write editorials in favor of "not firing" someone if there is no chance that person would get fired.

I don’t think you are following. Riley had a 7 year contract. Oregon State is not made of money. He wasn’t going anywhere. The article said the AD wanted to restructure his contract, not fire him.

You can argue he should have been fired, but he wasn’t going to be fired. He had the AD over a barrel.

I don’t think you are following. Riley had a 7 year contract. Oregon State is not made of money. He wasn’t going anywhere. The article said the AD wanted to restructure his contract, not fire him.

You can argue he should have been fired, but he wasn’t going to be fired. He had the AD over a barrel.
Which is exactly why the AD took the steps that he did in that meeting because he knew Riley would be upset about it. His actions not only got him out of that horrendous contract but caused Nebraska to have to pay OSU. (Have the results been good? No. But the AD got what he wanted.)

p.s. If you fill in the timeline it's not too hard to figure out what went down on that fateful day of December 2, 2014. What we know is in bold. What we don't know for sure is in bold and italics.

Dec. 1 (or early on Dec. 2): SE called the OSU AD for official permission to talk to Mike Riley. (I have not seen this reported but this is the accepted practice everywhere.)

Dec. 2: The OSU AD and Riley have a contentious meeting about the season. It involved things Riley did not want...cutting asst. coaches' contracts and Riley's length of contract. It did not go well. (The OSU AD knew that Nebraska was going to be talking to Riley later that day. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...)

Dec. 2: soon after the meeting: SE and Riley have their first contact about the Nebraska job. (Riley told a Portland paper his first contact was "shortly after his meeting with De Carolis" on December 2nd.)

Dec. 4: Riley calls De Carolis and says he's taking the Nebraska job. It's cordial but Riley wants to call the pres and let him know and De Carolis tells him no. He will be the one to inform the president.

Dec. 4: De Carolis calls the president and says, "Hey Boss..." (I think you can fill in the rest.)

Which is exactly why the AD took the steps that he did in that meeting because he knew Riley would be upset about it. His actions not only got him out of that horrendous contract but caused Nebraska to have to pay OSU. (Have the results been good? No. But the AD got what he wanted.)

p.s. If you fill in the timeline it's not too hard to figure out what went down on that fateful day of December 2, 2014. What we know is in bold. What we don't know for sure is in bold and italics.

Dec. 1 (or early on Dec. 2): SE called the OSU AD for official permission to talk to Mike Riley. (I have not seen this reported but this is the accepted practice everywhere.)

Dec. 2: The OSU AD and Riley have a contentious meeting about the season. It involved things Riley did not want...cutting asst. coaches' contracts and Riley's length of contract. It did not go well. (The OSU AD knew that Nebraska was going to be talking to Riley later that day. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...)

Dec. 2: soon after the meeting: SE and Riley have their first contact about the Nebraska job. (Riley told a Portland paper his first contact was "shortly after his meeting with De Carolis" on December 2nd.)

Dec. 4: Riley calls De Carolis and says he's taking the Nebraska job. It's cordial but Riley wants to call the pres and let him know and De Carolis tells him no. He will be the one to inform the president.

Dec. 4: De Carolis calls the president and says, "Boss, I took care of our problem."
If Riley did not take the Nebraska job, does the Oregon state AD fire him?

After he took the steps to make Riley miserable there was no need to fire him. It's like some coaches don't have a need to "fire" a kid not pulling his weight on scholarship.

it is all about expectations and trends.. Taxas A-M isn't paying Sumlin the 7th highest salary in the nation for what amounts to a losing record in the SEC after his first year. While certainly expectations within any fan base can be unrealistic the head coaches are making millions with almost automatic contract renewals such that if fired they continue to collect for 3-5 years. It is a high risk - high reward occupation that banks you millions for years even after being fired.

Any coach is going to take some heat if it looks like it is going to be a dog fight to get to 6-6 in year three at Nebraska.

We are talking about Riley at Oregon St, not Nebraska. I have no problem with Riley being on the hot seat here he has under performed.

Tom's point is that because some writer in Corvallis wrote an editorial that it proves Riley was on the hot seat.

My point on the two coaches I mentioned is exactly what you are referring to, expectations. Riley, at Oregon St, more resembled Mullen at Miss St than Sumlin at aTm. That doesn't mean that some writer at the Starkvegas Tribune isn't going to write an article explaining why Mullen should not be fired.

I have seen nothing about how the meeting with DeCarolis was leading to Riley being fired. The topics discussed were contracts that were out of whack for FBS football coaches. The AD wanted to get a handle on them. If I came to you and said, no other preachers have 7 year contracts that get an extra year based on you getting 100 people at your noon service. I wan't to renegotiate that deal. I would assume you wouldn't be happy. That doesn't mean that I am looking to fire you. That means I don't want to overpay for you simply doing what is expected. I would imagine that meeting could be defined as "not going well"

This isn't the 1980's anymore with regards to editorials. Everyone has an opinion. The fans at Oregon St were probably vocal in their dislike for going 5-7, and were calling for his head. There are a ton of outlets for that now days. An editor wrote a piece voicing his opinion on why Riley shouldn't be fired. None of which means DeCarolis was on the verge of firing Riley. There is always a chance someone gets fired, that has to be the lowest bar possible.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I have seen nothing about how the meeting with DeCarolis was leading to Riley being fired. The topics discussed were contracts that were out of whack for FBS football coaches. The AD wanted to get a handle on them. If I came to you and said, no other preachers have 7 year contracts that get an extra year based on you getting 100 people at your noon service. I wan't to renegotiate that deal. I would assume you wouldn't be happy. That doesn't mean that I am looking to fire you. That means I don't want to overpay for you simply doing what is expected. I would imagine that meeting could be defined as "not going well"

This isn't the 1980's anymore with regards to editorials. Everyone has an opinion. The fans at Oregon St were probably vocal in their dislike for going 5-7, and were calling for his head. There are a ton of outlets for that now days. An editor wrote a piece voicing his opinion on why Riley shouldn't be fired. None of which means DeCarolis was on the verge of firing Riley. There is always a chance someone gets fired, that has to be the lowest bar possible.
De Carolis knew that Nebraska would be officially calling and that Mike had not talked directly with them yet. (Yes, I know my guys talk to your guys stuff.) If you are in favor of keeping your coach do you try and irritate him immediately before he talks with a big time program?

Do you think on the day after the regular season, if Nebraska happens to call the UCF AD to get permission to talk to Frost that the AD is going to enter into a meeting with Scott with a list of things that will irritate him?

This isn't rocket science.

De Carolis knew that Nebraska would be officially calling and that Mike had not talked directly with them yet. (Yes, I know my guys talk to your guys stuff.) If you are in favor of keeping your coach do you try and irritate him immediately before he talks with a big time program?

Do you think on the day after the regular season, if Nebraska happens to call the UCF AD to get permission to talk to Frost that the AD is going to enter into a meeting with Scott with a list of things that will irritate him?

Shouldn't you be trying to decide which dress to wear to church on Sunday. You don't want to be caught with your panties down Sunday morning unable to decide which one to wear. Pick black if you can. It makes you look slimmer. And oh, make sure it doesn't show your panty line.

A Little about Mike Riley from an Outsider:

I was born in California and raised throughout the West Coast, where I met my wife (a Nebraska grad), who eventually dragged me to the Midwest to raise a family.

I am familiar with Mike Riley for 3 reasons: 1) I’m a lifetime PAC10 fan, 2) my wife is an avid Husker fan, which makes me a fan, 3) a conversation I had with Mike Bellotti circa 2011 at a fund-raiser. (and a Mike Riley handshake in a hotel lobby in 2005)

Having lived in the PAC10 footprint most of my life, I knew of and always found Mike Riley intriguing, but my knowledge of Riley only really increased both after my conversation with Bolletti and again when he was named head coach of Nebraska

For those that don’t know Mike Bellotti, he is Oregon’s winningest Head coach of all-time, mentor to Chip Kelly and Chris Peterson, and coached directly against Mike Riley in 97/98 and again from 2003-2009. Upon meeting Bellotti, short on time, I awkwardly asked – “who is the greatest coach you ever coached against?”. While he did not answer my question directly, he did offer up the following 2 nuggets: 1) that he knew of nobody that could do more with less than Mike Riley, and 2) that he felt Riley would have been a national household name and won a national championship if he would have been willing to leave his home state of Oregon earlier in his career.

Why was Bellotti so easy with his praise of Riley that day? I think to understand, one has to dig a little deeper……

The common refrain I hear from Husker fans when I am out w/ my wife watching a Nebraska game goes something like this: “Riley is just a mediocre 500 coach who has never won a thing”. Does that represent the majority of what people think? Like a rushed national writer trying to hit a deadline, does the average Nebraska fan do a 10 second google search of his record at Oregon State, draw a conclusion, and then call it a day?

How many people know that at the age of 24, Riley became the defensive coordinator of Linfield College and over the next 6 years coached them to a 52-7-1 record, 5 conferences titles and a NAIA National Championship at the age of 29.

How many people know that at the age of 33, Mike Riley become the 2nd youngest head coach in the 75 year history of the Canadian Football League (the legendary Bud Grant being the youngest), and in his very first season became the youngest coach to ever win the Grey Cup, only to turn around and do it again 2 years later at the age of 35.

How many people know that at the age of 38, USC hired Mike Riley to be QB/Assistant Head Coach and then immediately won 2 Pac10 titles, with QB Rob Johnson braking numerous NCAA QB records.

My favorite: How many people know that in 1997, Mike Riley inherited a Jerry Pettibone wishbone triple threat Oregon State football team (the undisputed 30yr doormat of college football, Avg 2 wins a season). In his first year he installed a pro-style offense. By year 2 he came within 1 point (twice) of breaking a streak of 27 consecutive losing seasons. By year 4 (having handed the team over to Dennis Erickson in Year 3), Oregon State won the PAC10 title, the Fiesta Bowl, and finished the season ranked 4th in the country. To this day, Erickson credits Mike Riley for laying the foundation for that miraculous season.

How many people know that upon his return from the NFL to Oregon State in 2003, with the worst talent (per recruiting services), facilities and resources in the PAC10, that over the next 7 seasons, the only 2 teams that had a better conference record were USC (Carroll) and Oregon (Bellotti). - the same record as Cal, and significantly better than Arizona, ASU, Stanford, UCLA, Washington and Washington State.

How many people know that over those 7 seasons only 3 PAC10 coaches retained their jobs: Pete Carrol, Mike Riley and Tedford, and that Oregon State went 5-1 in bowl games.

How many people know that the following are Oregon State’s football winning % before, during and after Mike Riley was head-coach:

- Before / Doormat of College Football: 19% winning percent (2 wins/year)
- During / 2003-09: 64% winning percent
- During / 2010-14: 47% winning percent (see below)
- After / Gary Anderson Era: 24% winning percent

How many people know that he has been named, NAIA assistant coach of the year, Pac10 assistant coach of the year, Pac10 Coach of the year, CFL Coach of the year (twice), and in 2014 his Power 5 head coaching peers voted him the most underrated coach in College Football?

So that leaves just 2 relatively short periods of his 40 year coaching career where Riley saw limited or no success:

Three unsuccessful years in the NFL (think Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, Petrino, Chip Kelly, etc.) and five very average years (2010-14) at Oregon State where he went 0-10 against Oregon and Stanford (think Phil Knight-Oregon/John Arrillaga-Stanford $150+ million arms race) but a respectable 29-23 against rest of PAC10 (again with the least amount of talent). This widening un-level playing field was ultimately a key factor in him leaving OSU and coming to Nebraska.

Except for the NFL, Mike Riley has had an immediate and positive impact that resulted in either championships or significantly higher performance at every step of his career (NAIA, CFL, USC, and Oregon State twice). Every place he went got significantly better, every place he left got significantly worse.

As an outsider, who admittedly is not quite as emotionally attached as you all, my only thought about the situation is pretty simple. Based on Riley’s past, I think the odds are significantly greater of winning a BIG10 Title sooner if you stick with Riley, rather than blowing it up and starting all over again. (lest we forget in year 2 he came within one play on the road of winning the BIG10 West with an” island of misfit toys” and a dumbed-down modified scheme).

Mike Riley has overachieved in almost every endeavor he has ever undertaken. If given the right amount of time, Riley will win at Nebraska and win consistently. If Riley can win 2 state championships (player), a NCAA football national championship (player), an NAIA championship (coach), two Canadian Football League Championships (coach), and two PAC10 championships (assistant head coach), and nearly win a PAC10 championship as a head coach with lesser talent (imagine Illinois), then he will win a BIG10 Championship with Nebraska’s resources.

There are many more Riley stories (his association w/ Tom Brady, Bear Bryant, Major Ogilvie, etc..) but let me leave you with one last thought.

How many people know that Mike Riley has coached in College football for 38 years, (held numerous positions, turned down numerous positions) and not once in those 38 years, not a single time, has he ever been fired. I guess there’s always a first time for everything though. Be careful what you wish for.

Go Big Red!
Football aside, were you glad your wife "dragged" you to the Midwest, or did it ruin your life?

You are making assumptions based on conversations you did not hear.

In 2010, DeCarolis extended Riley because he was worried that Riley was going to take Carroll's job at USC. Riley at that time said he had no desire to leave and wanted to be the Joe Paterno of Oregon St (assuming he is talking about longevity) but DeCarolis gave him a 3 year extension which was totally unnecessary, considering Riley had already indicated he would be there for the long term. DeCarolis put the provisions in the deal to make it a "lifetime deal", those were DeCarolis's words. Fast forward 4 years, and now DeCarolis is about to step down. He sees this ridiculous deal for the football coach, and realizes he has saddled the next AD with a bad deal. Maybe he wanted to get him to leave so he wouldn't be viewed as the moron who signed the coach to a lifetime deal. But Oregon St could not afford to fire Riley, so any talk of him about to be fired are erroneous at best.

I don't care what the AD at UCF says to Frost. I

No, Riley was not fired by the OSU AD. It is only speculation but I think it would have been hard to fire Riley there. This is pure speculation, but I think he would have been kicked upstairs to some sort of emeritus position. If Nebraska hadn't come along I think Mike would have been fine with that. He's a hometown boy. He still could ride his bike to the office and he would still be surrounded by his friends and family.

I want to get this out there. This is just a gut feeling. I am 61 years old so I base it a little on age. I would not be surprised if 64 year old Mike Riley at the end of the season quietly comes to a separation agreement. He hears the boos. He knows the lay of the land. He may not acknowledge it, but he is aware fans are not happy. Eichorst getting fired does not bode well for him. Why deal with the stress and pressure. It would be a win-win situation. The Husker brass doesn't actually fire him and he leaves with a boatload of money. He's set for life. He can go home and be happy.

I could be completely wrong. This is pure conjecture on my part.

Reactions: SnohomishRed
You are making assumptions based on conversations you did not hear.

In 2010, DeCarolis extended Riley because he was worried that Riley was going to take Carroll's job at USC. Riley at that time said he had no desire to leave and wanted to be the Joe Paterno of Oregon St (assuming he is talking about longevity) but DeCarolis gave him a 3 year extension which was totally unnecessary, considering Riley had already indicated he would be there for the long term. DeCarolis put the provisions in the deal to make it a "lifetime deal", those were DeCarolis's words. Fast forward 4 years, and now DeCarolis is about to step down. He sees this ridiculous deal for the football coach, and realizes he has saddled the next AD with a bad deal. Maybe he wanted to get him to leave so he wouldn't be viewed as the moron who signed the coach to a lifetime deal. But Oregon St could not afford to fire Riley, so any talk of him about to be fired are erroneous at best.

I don't care what the AD at UCF says to Frost. I
The truth is probably in the middle. I agree his hands were tied on firing. I was wrong on saying that was a real option. However, I don't think he was interested in keeping Riley around. None of the signs point to that whether it be fan frustration, paper editorials, contentious meetings, etc.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2015/12/canzano_mike_riley_speaks_abou.html

Riley was not on the chopping block at OSU but his assistants were. Riley could have stayed but not his buddies

Said Riley: "It was direct and clear... it was very, very clear to me."

What was clear exactly?

Riley could stay forever under his long-term deal, but he'd be stranded on that island alone. He'd passed on job offers at USC and Alabama in prior years, and once told me that he had his forever job in Corvallis. Riley also said that he was aware of the growing frustration amid Beavers' fans, which is only to say that he was listening.

By the way, ever since we picked up Riley, I've heard about his lack of resources at OSU. Why didn't he get those resources built up in his years there?

What kind of resources did Devaney have when he took over the sterling Nebraska program? Must have been something to behold.
Who provides resources to a college athletic program? If the Regents and the Dean/President have no interest in having a strong athletic program there will be no dollars for recruiting or facilities upgrades. One coach doesn't do it by himself without the ardent support of the institution's leadership. Devaney came to Nebraska as a coach who was wholeheartedly supported by the U of Nebraska leadership and was provided with facilities upgrades and money to support his efforts. The stadium was expanded with of Devaney's arrival. Good Facilities and Good budgets bring good recruits if one is a good coach.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT