ADVERTISEMENT

94-95-96-97 - how many national titles does Nebraska win

For the people who are convinced that Gerry Gdowski would have QBed Nebraska to national championships if he started more than one year, I'm curious which NU losses he would have flipped into the W column?

Nebraska's not beating the '87 Oklahoma team with Gdowski at QB, nor are they going to beat UCLA or Miami in '88.

Steve Taylor certainly wasn't a perfect QB. But the teams he lost to were elite, and he helped NU outgun some very strong offenses during his time as the starter. Gdowski was a very, very good player, but the schedule he faced in '89 would have made Bill Snyder blush.
Godwski was good enough to win a national title for Nebraska during the national title runs and so was Steve Taylor, still think Gdowski was a better passer and had a higher IQ than Taylor..

Majority feel that Taylor Martinez wouldn’t have won one..

watch oklahoma and the 2 ucla games and tel me different?
He wasn’t all Big just for his legs. He put up some very decent passing numbers. Against Oklahoma his freshman year he wasn’t a shell of his pre injury self and his poor passing his sophomore year was a direct result of that. Kansas State, Washington and Missouri had good Ds his freshman year and he carved them up quite well. He actually threw the ball well against Texas his freshman year after they stacked the D to shut down his legs.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
He wasn’t all Big just for his legs. He put up some very decent passing numbers. Against Oklahoma his freshman year he wasn’t a shell of his pre injury self and his poor passing his sophomore year was a direct result of that. Kansas State, Washington and Missouri had good Ds his freshman year and he carved them up quite well. He actually threw the ball well against Texas his freshman year after they stacked the D to shut down his legs.
Dude, you will never get TM haters to look at any of his stats in a positive light.

Remember when he smoked top 10 OSU and Mizzo in back to back weekends, the haters don't.

Was he "great", I guess not but he was really good. Did his throwing motion look odd, sure, so did Frost's, Crouch and TF.

Not sure where this idea came that he was "soft" if anything he was too tough for his own good.

I think most of the haters comes from people who hate Bo and then hate TM because of that.

HIs best year: If we were told that Casey Thompson would have those #'s this season, we would take it in a second and enjoy the 10 win season.

He actually sucked. It's just that our standards have fallen in the Frost/Amart era. Kind of like the doofuses that bleet, "Amart was on a Heisman watch list!" The goal has always been conference championships and NCs. TM was never going to get us there.

Reactions: Baxter48
He actually sucked. It's just that our standards have fallen in the Frost/Amart era. Kind of like the doofuses that bleet, "Amart was on a Heisman watch list!" The goal has always been conference championships and NCs. TM was never going to get us there.
Adrian Martinez had a better overall skill set than Taylor for what Neb wants to do. Just a much shi@&ier team IMO. Once Ziggy, Morgan and other departed after 2018…he was suddenly faced with a number of walk-ons at WR and much less talent at RB. Taylor would have had a better skillset for TO’s teams in the 90s…as he could run like the wind.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Adrian Martinez had a better overall skill set than Taylor for what Neb wants to do. Just a much shi@&ier team IMO. Once Ziggy, Morgan and other departed after 2018…he was suddenly faced with a number of walk-ons at WR and much less talent at RB. Taylor would have had a better skillset for TO’s teams in the 90s…as he could run like the wind.
No shit...Kade ****ing Warner was a freaking captain. Unreal

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Taylor actually won some games for NU, which sets him way apart from Adrian. I do agree on your physical skill set statement.

Dude, you will never get TM haters to look at any of his stats in a positive light.

Remember when he smoked top 10 OSU and Mizzo in back to back weekends, the haters don't.

Was he "great", I guess not but he was really good. Did his throwing motion look odd, sure, so did Frost's, Crouch and TF.

Not sure where this idea came that he was "soft" if anything he was too tough for his own good.

I think most of the haters comes from people who hate Bo and then hate TM because of that.

HIs best year: If we were told that Casey Thompson would have those #'s this season, we would take it in a second and enjoy the 10 win season.
Two things kept Taylor from being a great QB. The fumbles and the injury.

Two things kept Taylor from being a great QB. The fumbles and the injury.
I think that is fair.

I think it is also fair to say that if he is the QB on the 95 team, they win it all and if he was the QB on that team with Suh...they might have gone undefeated.

Reactions: RaulJones
I think that is fair.

I think it is also fair to say that if he is the QB on the 95 team, they win it all and if he was the QB on that team with Suh...they might have gone undefeated.
I think a lot of other QB‘s would have been better than Zach Lee, but we would have not went unbeaten with TM but we would have taken care of texass in the CCG in 2009…

I think a lot of other QB‘s would have been better than Zach Lee, but we would have not went unbeaten with TM but we would have taken care of texass in the CCG in 2009…
I can't really remember the games they lost that year so you very well could be right.

We lost 9-7 to Iowa St and had a ton of turnovers and Texas Tech beat us soundly 31-10 the week before..
Okay...so with TM they win the ISU game because he would have broke one or two.

That TT they would still lose, I agree. That was just a shit game.

I wonder how many titles we would have won those years with Marv Seiler under center

Last edited:

haters?? not that strong fellow husker!

Nonsense. We won games in 1994 with Matt Turman as starting QB. If we can win with Turman, we could most certainly win with Taylor Martinez.
I could have handed the ball off to LP against KSU in 1994. If I could do it…I think AM would add a flair that I couldn’t even come close to. ; )

Reactions: moralvictories
Yes. TM sucked. I know there are some fanboys out there. But opposing defenses learned early on that he's fast, but not agile. And definitely not tough. Crouch was fast, but he was super agile and tough. That's why he got the Heisman. Don't get me wrong. I wanted TM to be all that and a biscuit. I was jumping and screaming after that K-State game like everyone else. He just didn't have what it took. He wasn't a good leader. He wasn't tough and he couldn't juke. Teams figured out the best way to defend him was to take him head on. He hated contact so that was that. His passing was laughable. We joke about "Ol' arm punt" but it was more of an observation than a cut down joke. We weren't going to win a conference champion with him. I'm not sure why of the romanticism of TM. The goal is conference championships and NCs. 9 wins should mean we had a down year.
Terrible take.. I think that shitty northern Texas heat is getting to you. TMart had us in a couple Conf championship games. Please tell me which qb would of beaten WI? Our defense was so awesome! We should of beaten OK…but it just didn’t happen…

Try paragraphs next time.

If Gdowski was good enough to win a NC he wud have started more than 1 year. Martinez was talented but it takes more than physical talent to reach the top. Touchdown Tommie was the final piece for TO!
Sorry I know this isn’t about Tommie but to think u cud plug in any QB with a loaded support cast is crazy. JMO
I mean....TM isn't just any qb.

Reactions: IndyHusker
Nonsense. We won games in 1994 with Matt Turman as starting QB. If we can win with Turman, we could most certainly win with Taylor Martinez.
Turman started one game, played in 33. So to say "we won games" is misleading at best.

And maybe the Husker D played well. The point was he didn't win multiple games as the starting QB.
The point is…if Turman handing off to LP generated enough points to beat KSU that year…that AM…with a superior skillset also likely would have led Neb to victory against the number 2 team on their regular season schedule in Manhattan. Against the number 1 team…Colorado…The Neb defense also played masterful…holding Kordell Stewart and the Buff offense in check at every turn. So…could AM have led Neb to a NC matchup with Miami that year? Quite plausibly…yes. That’s the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: moralvictories
The point is…if Turman handing off to LP generated enough points to beat KSU that year…that AM…with a superior skillset also likely would have led Neb to victory against the number 2 team on their regular season schedule in Manhattan. Against the number 1 team…Colorado…The Neb defensealso played masterful…holding Kordell Stewart and the Buff offense in check at every turn. So…could AM have led Neb to a NC matchup with Miami that year? Quite plausibly…yes. That’s the point.
No, it wasn't the point. You are extrapolating to a conclusion that is unproven. I just stated the fact he didn't win lots of games, only one he started against an opponent. That is the point and the facts.

Last edited:
I don’t know how many Nattys we would of won with other QBs, but I did happen to rewatch the 95 Orange Bowl the other night for the first time in about 15 years.

I’ll say this, I can’t believe how many times the camera showed Frank Costa dragging himself up off the ground. Especially in the 2nd half. It was literally almost every play.

He took a monumental beat down!
Now that I think about it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a quarterback get beat down like that before or since.

I can only imagine what it was like getting out of bed the next morning for him. So for me, I don’t put too much stock into who our quarterback needed to be.

That man got his ASS WHOOPED!

I don’t know how many Nattys we would of won with other QBs, but I did happen to rewatch the 95 Orange Bowl the other night for the first time in about 15 years.

I’ll say this, I can’t believe how many times the camera showed Frank Costa dragging himself up off the ground. Especially in the 2nd half. It was literally almost every play.

Now that I think about it, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a quarterback get beat down like that before or since.

I can only imagine what it was like getting out of bed the next morning for him. So for me, I don’t put too much stock into who our quarterback needed to be.

Frank Costa was a tough guy. Imagine how many national championships we would have won if we had Frank Costa as our QB.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER

Manning took a beating in 97.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT