ADVERTISEMENT

78' NU vs OU game

BigRedballz

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
Lincoln
Feeling like crap with a cold today so I'm just sitting around- decided to watch video of the 78' game against the Sooners. A couple of observations from the 1st quarter-
1. Even as a sophmore Andra Franklin was a beast.
2. Forgot that the lineman typically went about 250 and NU's middle guard Kerry Weinmaster was only like 215.
3. Keith Jackson was good but Frank Broyles was a bumbling idiot.

Additional edit: the refs were terrible.

Switzer got payback in the Orange Bowl though.

If you want to get that technical,OU won the next 2 years as well:rolleyes:....1980 was a heartbreaker.:mad:

Switzer has always said that loss was his toughest because it costed him a National Title that year.

One thing I have never understood about that game was why Osborne played I.M. Hipp so much when Berns was slashing OU with his inside runs and on toss sweeps. Hipp went down on four or five occasions on shoestring tackles Berns would have run through. Hipp also missed opportunities by misreading the holes very often. I guess Osborne figured that Hipp was the bigger home run threat. But with OU's speed on defense we were doing very well with Berns running power football with Franklin sprinkled in.

Reactions: scarletred
If you want to get that technical,OU won the next 2 years as well:rolleyes:....1980 was a heartbreaker.:mad:

Switzer has always said that loss was his toughest because it costed him a National Title that year.
Pretty sure Switzer also said that 78 team was his best ever. Made it doubly hard for them to lose that game.

One thing I have never understood about that game was why Osborne played I.M. Hipp so much when Berns was slashing OU with his inside runs and on toss sweeps. Hipp went down on four or five occasions on shoestring tackles Berns would have run through. Hipp also missed opportunities by misreading the holes very often. I guess Osborne figured that Hipp was the bigger home run threat. But with OU's speed on defense we were doing very well with Berns running power football with Franklin sprinkled in.

Berns carried the ball 25 times vs OU, Hipp only 14. They each averaged about 15 carries a game that year.

Berns could not have had any more carries in that game and still be effective.

Reactions: cecilB
Berns carried the ball 25 times vs OU, Hipp only 14. They each averaged about 15 carries a game that year.

Berns could not have had any more carries in that game and still be effective.
I disagree. Berns was in a real zone that game. I think he could have handled 30-32 snaps. Hipp hurt us in some critical situations.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Berns had a monstrous game the following week against Missouri. He had over 30 carries for 250+ yds. That was a painful game.

Berns had a monstrous game the following week against Missouri. He had over 30 carries for 250+ yds. That was a painful game.
That game was one of my lowest moments as a Husker fan. Following the exhilaration of beating OU, and with a probable shot at the national title in the Orange Bowl most likely, losing to Missouri by allowing Wilder to run wild after we had limited OU to 14, was just unbelievable, unfathomable, and totally deflating. Then, to be told the Orange Bowl was a rematch with OU,was like salt in the wound

That game was one of my lowest moments as a Husker fan. Following the exhilaration of beating OU, and with a probable shot at the national title in the Orange Bowl most likely, losing to Missouri by allowing Wilder to run wild after we had limited OU to 14, was just unbelievable, unfathomable, and totally deflating. Then, to be told the Orange Bowl was a rematch with OU,was like salt in the wound

I think Nebraska was quite a bit emotionally and physically spent after the OU game, and it showed, more so on defense. They just didn't have enough in the tank that day against Missouri to stop a beast like Wilder. Lot a talent on offense for the Tigers that day. It was like what, 2003 when the Tigers would beat Nebraska again?

Osborne was 3-4 against Mizzou in the 70's.

Quite a run against them from 1979-2002.

Worst officiating call I have ever seen in ANY game on the Phelps non fumble.

As Ruud explained in a rebroadcast of the game on the Nebraska public broadcasting network the play was blown dead before the fumble because Phelps stepped on the sideline in making the catch. The crowd was so loud no one heard the whistle, but you can see the official in the corner of the screen starting to wave his arms. You lose him as Phelps moves out into the field. The rebroadcast showed a shot directly down the sideline from NU's camera and you could clearly see the official on the sideline waving his hands and while you couldn't definitively see Phelps foot, it looked pretty certain that he was actually out of bounds. Again according to Ruud it wasn't until the next break in play that the officials were able to explain the play to TO.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
As Ruud explained in a rebroadcast of the game on the Nebraska public broadcasting network the play was blown dead before the fumble because Phelps stepped on the sideline in making the catch. The crowd was so loud no one heard the whistle, but you can see the official in the corner of the screen starting to wave his arms. You lose him as Phelps moves out into the field. The rebroadcast showed a shot directly down the sideline from NU's camera and you could clearly see the official on the sideline waving his hands and while you couldn't definitively see Phelps foot, it looked pretty certain that he was actually out of bounds. Again according to Ruud it wasn't until the next break in play that the officials were able to explain the play to TO.

The problem with the refs on that call is that Phelps, whom I believe was in bounds, was at the 10 yard line when he caught the ball. The ref who was waving his arms after Phelps caught the ball should have had the ball placed at the spot where he saw Phelps step out, near the 10/11.

However, the refs decided Phelps, after getting blasted by Ruud, did not fumble and placed the ball at the OU 19 yard line. The ref who saw Phelps "step out" was the same one you see waving his arms in an "incomplete" manor at the end of the play on the near sideline. Total blown call that could have cost Nebraska the game.

Philip Bradley and Kellen Winslow also helped to kick our ass we had no answer. That was be Great misou team

There was an early snowfall on November 16th. As I recall, it had mostly melted by Saturday, but it was a cold, dreary day. The winter of 78-79 was one of the coldest historically with 35 days when the temp was below 0. Plus my girlfriend dumped me early in the week, so it made for a depressing Saturday. BTW, that was the same day as the Jonestown mass suicides.

That game sucked...and was very cold in the era before thinsulate

What is Rick Berns up to today? I hope he can walk. With that straight up running style he took some wicked, wicked hits during his career...and kept coming back for more.

OU fumbled 9 times in that game and lost 6. They were 0-2 passing.

The mizzou game was completely demoralizing after a huge win.

Read this thread and went and watched the game on YouTube! What a great game! I wish I had been alive to see that spectacle

He delivered as much punishment as he took. Man he ran hard and definitely did some "slashing".
That game was my very 1st Husker game and was 12 years old. My mom and dad took me and it was an incredibly awesome experience from the kickoff to the tearing down of the goal posts. What's interesting about that game, was a number of years ago a vote was taken by sports writers and a number of coaches dealing with that game and the outcome of the votr was that the 78 NU/OU game was voted the hardest hitting game in CFB history. On Billy Sim's fumble at the 3 Andy Means hit Sinss so hard he had to be taken off the field as he swallowed his own mouth piece. Jim Pillin recovered the fumble
He delivered as much punishment as he took. Man he ran hard and definitely did some "slashing".

that was the first game we ever recorded. went home with our friends and watched it over and over. Still remember Keith Jackson's remark; "This crowd really works to help this team." loved it

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
That game was my very 1st Husker game and was 12 years old. My mom and dad took me and it was an incredibly awesome experience from the kickoff to the tearing down of the goal posts. What's interesting about that game, was a number of years ago a vote was taken by sports writers and a number of coaches dealing with that game and the outcome of the votr was that the 78 NU/OU game was voted the hardest hitting game in CFB history. On Billy Sim's fumble at the 3 Andy Means hit Sinss so hard he had to be taken off the field as he swallowed his own mouth piece. Jim Pillin recovered the fumble

Actually, it was Jeff Hansen who hit Sims, knocking his mouthpiece and the ball out and demoralizing him. Jim Pillen is the one who recovered the fumble on the play. Link below is the original SI story on the game, very good read.

https://www.si.com/vault/1978/11/20...s-by-oklahoma-and-the-sooners-did-not-recover

It was Jeff Hansen who caused the fumble, not Means

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT