ADVERTISEMENT

70 team super league ...

Equivalent support and resources? There's about 6 teams that will always have significantly more resources and support than the rest. Again, Ohio State literally spent $17M just to keep this years roster in tact, not sure of many other teams that can or are even willing to do that:

O$U
Oregon
Texas
Michigan
Tex A&M
Notre Dame
USC

After those, I think the next chunk would be your Bama's, Georgia's, Tennessee, Miami, LSU, Penn St, Nebraska. After that, there's a massive fall off imo which just means again that the rest of the league will always be at a severe disadvantage.
Actually I would now rephrase what is meant by equivalent support to be the amount of total revenue sharing a team can afford to pay its players in light of the House settlement terms. Those teams that can afford the maximum revenue sharing allowed will have a distinct advantage and ought to comprise the "super league" however many teams that is. It won't be 70.

regardless, this 70-team proposal might be the (next) end game for major college sports. the idea is to bring in the top 70 programs, divide them into tiers based on their value, and sell the product as a package rather than piecemeal as we see today. there would be uneven revenue distribution between tiers based on value.

the proposers forecast the top tier - teams like bama, uga, nd, and tosu - would make more revenue than under their current media contracts. the 70 programs would only play one another. g5 and lower division schools like tulane and boise would theoretically be left out to form their own consortium.

Shhhh... it will be over soon

x-noveleira-christiane-torloni.gif

I work in Boulder and live in Boulder county. I have more personal reasons to want the CU/Deion hype to die a painful death.

Back in the day, we wanted our opponents to do well because that might be needed to get us into the MNC game. With the CFP, maybe those motivations will resurface. This year, we might be able to lose only to OSU to have a chance. But if we also lose to IU, then we would be behind IU, OSU, PSU, and Oregon in the pecking order. Maybe also Illinois. In that case, CU doing well doesn’t help us.
Sorry guess I’m stuck in 2002 and the BCS computer rankings.

There's going to be decent teams that will get left out or may want to not be in the top tier. Look at the best fcs teams. Better than a lot of low fbs teams. 70 is too many.
I agree, should be around 40 or leave all 135ish in it. The tiered system would be garbage as well. Some SEC and Big Ten schools would take a cut in funding. Why would they agree to this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT