ADVERTISEMENT

70 team super league ...

but you see your 30-team scenario will end up in court or congress, like nil. you can't cut off half or two thirds of the country's universities from participating in the national sport. that has never made sense from a fundamentals point of view. nor can you have ucla soccer flying to nyc to play rutgers - for long anyway. in commerce, the fundamentals have to be right for the game to be played, so to speak.

but you see your 30-team scenario will end up in court or congress, like nil. you can't cut off half or two thirds of the country's universities from participating in the national sport. that has never made sense from a fundamentals point of view. nor can you have ucla soccer flying to nyc to play rutgers - for long anyway. in commerce, the fundamentals have to be right for the game to be played, so to speak.
If K-State had a snowball's chance of being in the Big 30, you would write a gasbagging manifesto about how it makes all the sense in the world. And if they were outside the Top 70 looking in, you would squeal like a stuck pig about how that's a terrible plan that's certain to fail.

But yeah, it's all about the economic fundamentals.

#Relentless-blowhard-who-can't-shut-up

If K-State had a snowball's chance of being in the Big 30, you would write a gasbagging manifesto about how it makes all the sense in the world. And if they were outside the Top 70 looking in, you would squeal like a stuck pig about how that's a terrible plan that's certain to fail.

But yeah, it's all about the economic fundamentals.

#Relentless-blowhard-who-can't-shut-up
no i would not. i am a realist. i have done this sort of m&a stuff most of my career. if the fundamentals are not right, stuff just doesn't come together.

no i would not. i am a realist. i have done this sort of m&a stuff most of my career. if the fundamentals are not right, stuff just doesn't come together.
I can only hope to God that I never owned stock in any of the entities you were evaluating. Imagine having due diligence performed by an attention-starved egomaniac who can convince himself of anything.

Why would the Big 12 scabs like Cincinnati Houston UCF etc get in the 70 team league?
Also why would the lower performing teams in Big 10 and SEC want to be open to being in Tier 3 and receiving less in payments? This only is good for the scabs in the Big 12 and SEC.

Reactions: Hawkdiver
Nothing prevents the remaining schools from competing on their own. K State and the Big 12 can join the NAIA

Let's see if I got this right.

Tear up your TV contracts and let Smash Capitol renegotiate them for you. Don't worry top markets in the BIG and SEC, we will boost your revenue and will only take a 10% cut.

We will invest $5B to pay off everyone you screw over, but don't worry because you can pay us back with the future revenue. We will give you a fair interest rate.

The revenue will be higher because the television networks will surely pay $6B for what they pay $3.5B combined now. Bringing Iowa State and Boston College into the mix will sure be compelling.

And don't worry smaller school, we are venture capitalists that would never cut out dead weight.

Never happen. B1G and SEC will demand an inequitable share, and if they don’t get what they want they’ll break off and take a handful of teams with them. Disney and/or the rest of the P4 teams have zero leverage in this engagement.

Nobody cares about KState. Except for this weekend when I want them to beat Deion. CU hype is going to exceed last year if KState lets them win this weekend.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Nobody cares about KState. Except for this weekend when I want them to beat Deion. CU hype is going to exceed last year if KState lets them win this weekend.
I understand, though it would benefit us for CU to win. People would have to stop saying we haven’t played anyone yet.

I can see the Big SEC merging and bringing along Notre Dame to form a league similarly configured like the NFL. The NCAA has failed with keeping up with the times. I see it happening before 2028.

I can see the Big SEC merging and bringing along Notre Dame to form a league similarly configured like the NFL. The NCAA has failed with keeping up with the times. I see it happening before 2028.
The NCAA has nothing to do with conference realignment

As already stated, 70 teams is too many because there's too big of a gap between number #1 and #70. Now 30 to 35 teams would be about right IMO. The other teams left out can of course also form their own separate league of roughly equal teams. The goal is to get a big enough league (30 to 35 teams) so there's adequate competition and diversity but also with formed with teams on roughly equivalent footing of support and resources.

As already stated, 70 teams is too many because there's too big of a gap between number #1 and #70. Now 30 to 35 teams would be about right IMO. The other teams left out can of course also form their own separate league of roughly equal teams. The goal is to get a big enough league (30 to 35 teams) so there's adequate competition and diversity but also with formed with teams on roughly equivalent footing of support and resources.
#70 currently is auburn.

I can only hope to God that I never owned stock in any of the entities you were evaluating. Imagine having due diligence performed by an attention-starved egomaniac who can convince himself of anything.
chevron has been a good stock for a very long time. i spent most of my career there, a quarter century anyway. but whatever.

Never happen. B1G and SEC will demand an inequitable share, and if they don’t get what they want they’ll break off and take a handful of teams with them. Disney and/or the rest of the P4 teams have zero leverage in this engagement.
regardless, this 70-team proposal might be the (next) end game for major college sports. the idea is to bring in the top 70 programs, divide them into tiers based on their value, and sell the product as a package rather than piecemeal as we see today. there would be uneven revenue distribution between tiers based on value.

the proposers forecast the top tier - teams like bama, uga, nd, and tosu - would make more revenue than under their current media contracts. the 70 programs would only play one another. g5 and lower division schools like tulane and boise would theoretically be left out to form their own consortium.

Equivalent support and resources? There's about 6 teams that will always have significantly more resources and support than the rest. Again, Ohio State literally spent $17M just to keep this years roster in tact, not sure of many other teams that can or are even willing to do that:

O$U
Oregon
Texas
Michigan
Tex A&M
Notre Dame
USC

After those, I think the next chunk would be your Bama's, Georgia's, Tennessee, Miami, LSU, Penn St, Nebraska. After that, there's a massive fall off imo which just means again that the rest of the league will always be at a severe disadvantage.

Reactions: V-Doub
I understand, though it would benefit us for CU to win. People would have to stop saying we haven’t played anyone yet.
I work in Boulder and live in Boulder county. I have more personal reasons to want the CU/Deion hype to die a painful death.

Back in the day, we wanted our opponents to do well because that might be needed to get us into the MNC game. With the CFP, maybe those motivations will resurface. This year, we might be able to lose only to OSU to have a chance. But if we also lose to IU, then we would be behind IU, OSU, PSU, and Oregon in the pecking order. Maybe also Illinois. In that case, CU doing well doesn’t help us.

Equivalent support and resources? There's about 6 teams that will always have significantly more resources and support than the rest. Again, Ohio State literally spent $17M just to keep this years roster in tact, not sure of many other teams that can or are even willing to do that:

O$U
Oregon
Texas
Michigan
Tex A&M
Notre Dame
USC

After those, I think the next chunk would be your Bama's, Georgia's, Tennessee, Miami, LSU, Penn St, Nebraska. After that, there's a massive fall off imo which just means again that the rest of the league will always be at a severe disadvantage.
the house settlement will require $20 plus million. that is what is driving these investment companies to present rationalized models going forward so the top tier can continue to meet payroll, so to speak. most athletic programs operate in the red today, before house.

regardless, this 70-team proposal might be the (next) end game for major college sports. the idea is to bring in the top 70 programs, divide them into tiers based on their value, and sell the product as a package rather than piecemeal as we see today. there would be uneven revenue distribution between tiers based on value.

the proposers forecast the top tier - teams like bama, uga, nd, and tosu - would make more revenue than under their current media contracts. the 70 programs would only play one another. g5 and lower division schools like tulane and boise would theoretically be left out to form their own consortium.

I think you missed my point. This “system” that will never happen is based on individual “values” team by team. Individual schools may be ok with this plan because they would land in the highest tier. But the conferences as a whole will never agree to this. Right now all B1G and SEC teams get an equal share (new comers will eventually), the bottom half of both leagues will never agree to a lesser share while conference rivals like OSU and Alabama get a larger share. This will have to be voted on in both the B1G and SEC, and most of the conference will NEVER agree to take a lesser share than their conference rivals. You can live in your own little fantasy world, makes no difference to me, but the 100% is never going to happen, period.

I think you missed my point. This “system” that will never happen is based on individual “values” team by team. Individual schools may be ok with this plan because they would land in the highest tier. But the conferences as a whole will never agree to this. Right now all B1G and SEC teams get an equal share (new comers will eventually), the bottom half of both leagues will never agree to a lesser share while conference rivals like OSU and Alabama get a larger share. This will have to be voted on in both the B1G and SEC, and most of the conference will NEVER agree to take a lesser share than their conference rivals. You can live in your own little fantasy world, makes no difference to me, but the 100% is never going to happen, period.
my little fantasy world? wth, this is not my proposal. conferences as we know them today would likely go away.

There's going to be decent teams that will get left out or may want to not be in the top tier. Look at the best fcs teams. Better than a lot of low fbs teams. 70 is too many.

There's going to be decent teams that will get left out or may want to not be in the top tier. Look at the best fcs teams. Better than a lot of low fbs teams. 70 is too many.
i'm guessing gate keepers, some would say despots, like sankey and the b10 lackey will be the major hurdles. they will not want to give up their personal power/fiefdoms to a nfl-lite league run by a commissioner. it makes them pretty much useless gadgets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT