ADVERTISEMENT

7-5

Cisco Red

Aug 6, 2016
It's a modest goal, in many respects for this staff in year three. But given that is what most prognosticators picked, I still think Riley gets another year if he can get to 7-5. We've got four remaining home games and four more on the road. Given that Wisconsin and Ohio State are two of the home games, they may need to win at least a couple on the road, which makes Illinois critical. If we win tonight, a 4-3 finish is still tough but very doable. A loss and 5-2 seems quite improbable.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I think he probably stays at 7-5. But it's possible that Green and Bounds have already made up their minds to let him go if he doesn't win a division title or they may have a replacement in mind and don't want to lose that person to someone else. If they lose to Illinois, I think there's a good chance he's gone by Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
I don't know about gone by Sunday, but it could be devastating to his chances to return next season....and in turn could be devastating to what HCMR is building. I think the next two weeks are huge. Let's hope they get it done Friday night, then let the chips fall were they may on a huge Saturday night game in Lincoln. GBR.

I guess I am less concerned about the record but more concerned about improvement in year three. I said coming into this year that I thought most teams we played would be improved, some substantially and the record that many wanted would be hard to obtain. I was looking for improvemets in the little areas across the board. The record to date is reflective of mental and physical errors that this team cant seem to overcome and that dont seem to get corrected from week to week. Dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, and our obvious issues with the passing game overall, etc.

While the D is showing some life, they are far from a group that can take over a game. I am not sure the way we play the 3-4, that will even happen. Tonight is obviously a big test. Who would have ever thought we would be searching for answers against Illinois?

Last edited:
win or lose he isn't going to be fired by sunday. we have recruits coming in that will help in the future but if we can the HC every 3-4 years we will just go around the merry go round and never be able to climb the hill. look how our D has progressed, this is kinda like when Frankie got axed, he changed things up and then what happened, he gets the ax and we get Calinut to coach, look what that has done to our program, mediocre for the last 15 years, change in programs takes time and patience to show results.

I guess I am less concerned about the record but more concerned about improvement in year three. I said coming into this year that I thought most teams we played would be improved, some substantially and the record that many wanted would be hard to obtain. I was looking for improvemets in the little areas across the board. The record to date is reflective of mental and physical errors that this team cant seem to overcome and that dont seem to get corrected from week to week. Dropped passes, missed blocks, missed tackles, and our obvious issues with the passing game overall, etc.

While the D is showing some life, they are far from a group that can take over a game. I am not sure the way we play the 3-4, that will even happen. Tonight is obviously a big test. Who would have ever thought we would be searching for answers against Illinois?
Ugh why can't WE be the team that improves?
Other teams are expected to improve to the point where teams we beat last year will beat us, but we are never expected to improve. My goodness this thinking is absurd

Reactions: studed
It tend to agree, but it probably depend what the three losses look like. Are we competitive, or does PSU hang 70 on us and does OSU run us out of Memorial Stadium. If those things happen 7-5 probably isn't good enough.

Other teams are expected to improve to the point where teams we beat last year will beat us, but we are never expected to improve. My goodness this thinking is absurd

That really is the question and the problem isn't it? Someone has to answer that, and not on message boards.

I just want to see progress. See the team play better. Maybe stay within 40 points of the Buckeyes this year. Since records don't really matter be happy with a 7-5 record. Then have the staff return intact next year as it is important to not look like a merry-go-around for coaches. Keep building and stay the course so the momentum in recruiting this staff has established continues. .Maybe the Huskers can finish with an 8-4 record nest season. Losing to Ohio State by only 35 points will definitive show real improvement. Heck the coaches probably will deserve another 2-3 years extension if they can accomplish that. Finally in two years from now it will be another rebuilding year as the Huskers will be starting a new quarterback. We all should be okay if the record slips back to 5-7. Don't have too many expectations. Showing progress over actually winning games I guess is the new norm. Stay the course, don't be disruptive, don't challenge the program, be consistent, remain mediocre

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I just want to see progress. See the team play better. Maybe stay within 40 points of the Buckeyes this year. Since records don't really matter be happy with a 7-5 record. Then have the staff return intact next year as it is important to not look like a merry-go-around for coaches. Keep building and stay the course so the momentum in recruiting this staff has established continues. .Maybe the Huskers can finish with an 8-4 record nest season. Losing to Ohio State by only 35 points will definitive show real improvement. Heck the coaches probably will deserve another 2-3 years extension if they can accomplish that. Finally in two years from now it will be another rebuilding year as the Huskers will be starting a new quarterback. We all should be okay if the record slips back to 5-7. Don't have too many expectations. Showing progress over actually winning games I guess in the new norm. Stay the course, don't be disruptive, don't challenge the program, be consistent, remain mediocre
Hahaha!

I like this idea! I mean...the whole idea that "records matter" is so stupid. Who cares if 3 years ago "any coach...even a monkey" could have won 9 games. Clearly that has changed. Who cares if something all of us fans were sick of were blowout losses...I mean a loss is a loss. So losing by 60 to OSU is basically the same as going to triple overtime with them and losing.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
It's a modest goal, in many respects for this staff in year three. But given that is what most prognosticators picked, I still think Riley gets another year if he can get to 7-5. We've got four remaining home games and four more on the road. Given that Wisconsin and Ohio State are two of the home games, they may need to win at least a couple on the road, which makes Illinois critical. If we win tonight, a 4-3 finish is still tough but very doable. A loss and 5-2 seems quite improbable.

Modest goal? After what we've seen so far 5-7 is a modest goal. 7-5, barring some kind of miracle, is the best possible result right now.

CC

Having one of the teams with the least amount of returning production in FBS coupled with an entirely new defensive scheme (which means everyone is a freshman in that scheme) might have something to do with it.

It tend to agree, but it probably depend what the three losses look like. Are we competitive, or does PSU hang 70 on us and does OSU run us out of Memorial Stadium. If those things happen 7-5 probably isn't good enough.

I don't know, if you go 5-1 in your division (improving on the previous year 4-2), you are probably not getting fired.

Look at the schedule - you see 7 wins? My goodness.....I see maybe 2 more wins - today and either Iowa or NW. Maybe Purdue but they are clearly playing better than Nebraska right now.

Nothing we have seen in almost 2.5 years on the offensive side of the ball indicates that MR and DL are going to take us anywhere good.

Langsdorf is a complete wreck. He was at OSU and Riley knew it. Yet for some reason he was brought into a situation with much higher expectations.
No surprise the offense is regressing.

Reactions: Wasker77
The chances of this team getting to 7 wins are between slim and none - and slim just left town.
I think you are wrong. We simply are more talented than other teams. The only two teams on our schedule with more talent are OSU and PSU. When you have more talent than the next guy you more likely will be able to flip a switch. I'm still hopeful that we can hit 8 wins.

Reactions: WHCSC
Look at the schedule - you see 7 wins? My goodness.....I see maybe 2 more wins - today and either Iowa or NW. Maybe Purdue but they are clearly playing better than Nebraska right now.

I agree, I think only 2 more wins tonight and either NW or MN. I think they lose at Purdue for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Sign me up for 7-5 right now - I'll take it!!

7-5 means NU will have beaten either Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, or Iowa. And it will mean they didn't stumble against Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, or Minnesota.

That will be remarkable, considering how they have looked to this point. I think that would generate a lot of excitement going forward and guarantee Riley will coach here next year. It will also mean NU doesn't go 2-10 or 3-9, which I'm not convinced won't still happen.

I think you are wrong. We simply are more talented than other teams. The only two teams on our schedule with more talent is OSU and PSU. When you have more talent than the next guy you more likely will be able to flip a switch. I'm still hopeful that we can hit 8 wins.

Talent is handicapped by coaching, game planning, play calling, clock management....that's a lot for talent to overcome.

Reactions: Wasker77
Talent is handicapped by coaching, game planning, play calling, clock management....that's a lot for talent to overcome.
I don't disagree those have been HUGE problems. But things like game planning, play calling, clock management, etc. can be changed in a flash. It just takes saying, "We were wrong in what we were doing. Let's change this up." When you have worse talent levels it's going to take time to get better talent and start developing the talent you know have.

I think you are wrong. We simply are more talented than other teams. The only two teams on our schedule with more talent are OSU and PSU. When you have more talent than the next guy you more likely will be able to flip a switch. I'm still hopeful that we can hit 8 wins.
you are not more talented than Iowa. You have better rated recruits and a few better skill guys, but their fronts on both DL and OL will destroy what you put out there.

I agree... when healthy

Your lines may be better developed. Ours are more talented.
I'm actually a Penn State guy.. and Iowa will have more guys drafted (and has had far more guys from trenches) drafted as of late. I'm sure many on the board would agree with me on this one. In fact lack of physical line play has led to all of the 30+ point blow outs since you've been in the BIG. The BIG has it's good/bad points.. but it's a LOT more physical than were you guys were playing.

you are not more talented than Iowa. You have better rated recruits and a few better skill guys, but their fronts on both DL and OL will destroy what you put out there.
t8zrasr0-t.jpg

I'm actually a Penn State guy.. and Iowa will have more guys drafted (and has had far more guys from trenches) drafted as of late. I'm sure many on the board would agree with me on this one. In fact lack of physical line play has led to all of the 30+ point blow outs since you've been in the BIG. The BIG has it's good/bad points.. but it's a LOT more physical than were you guys were playing.
Didn't know you were PSU. All of what you say is true. However, our guys even on the lines were judged to have more talent than the Iowa guys. There, is no question however, that they have developed their lines far better than we have during our whole Big Ten experience.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

What is going to change in our coaching staff to cause them to flip a switch? Something either positive or negative usually has to happen to cause change in a person. Will Riley manage his staff better and coach better after his talk with Dave Rimington? Do all the less than positive reports in the national press propel Riley to be better?, Will dismal play calling lead Mike to take the play calling away from OC Langsdorf as he did in the last year they coached together at Oregon State? Will the coaches pull QB Lee after he gets intercepted again that leads to a loss ? Then inserting Gebbia into lineup who turns into the second coming of Sam Darnold Will the booing from Nebraska fans effect any change? What is causing the change needed to flip the switch?

Here is Mike's record the last two years against the remaining teams on the schedule; Illinois (1-1), Wisconsin (0-2), Ohio State (0-1) Purdue (1-1) Northwestern (1-1) Minnesota (2-0) Penn State (0-0) Iowa (0-2)

Before the season started I thought it was more likely that the Huskers win against Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and Minnesota. It's going to be tough but I think it still can be done. They all seem to be playing better than I thought they would.

Before the season start I thought it was more likely the Huskers would lose to Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa. Nothing has changed to dispel my belief that is going to happen. (Call me crazy, but I am still not sold on Franklin and Penn State. If Mike coaches the Huskers to another Michigan State type upset this could be the game. Big difference that game was at home and this game is on the road)..

If my predictions hold serve the Huskers finish 6-6 (I thought the Huskers would beat Oregon and NIU)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT