ADVERTISEMENT

6 News WOWT: Former Husker players want a say in who leads athletic program

Hopefully Achola doesn’t also serve as treasurer of the Husker Letterman’s Association.

Reactions: mel mains
Bear Sarcasm GIF by Peacock

As I said earlier, I believe all the major stakeholders should be represented on a search committee. But also no one group of stakeholders should be dominant.

Reactions: Huskers123456
As I said earlier, I believe all the major stakeholders should be represented on a search committee. But also no one group of stakeholders should be dominant.
Stakeholders? That is a meaningless term favored by the DEI crowd. How about we just hire somebody who’s competent and qualified?

Stakeholders? That is a meaningless term favored by the DEI crowd. How about we just hire somebody who’s competent and qualified?
Well first of all, "stakeholders" was NOT invented by DEI. It was a highly used term in my MBA business class many, many years ago before anyone had ever heard of "DEI". It's more indicative of being "customer driven" than anything.

Second, "competent and qualified" is a given. Do you honestly think someone is intentionally going to hire a candidate they think is incompetent and unqualified? The real question is just WHO determines that. I'm suggesting an approach that takes into account multiple stakeholder views so that the selection process is well-balanced rather than dominated by a top-down dictator process.

How Matt Davidson names comes up in some of these names for potential AD is beyond me and I’m using the OWH as one of them..

He was one of the problems when SF was here. Heard the some Women complained to TA that they couldn’t get on the golf simulator because SF and Davidson were always on it..

Define the terms qualified and competent. Define them clearly and honestly. The word salad of throwing out terms, and never defining them as part of the biggest problem of getting people into positions that they are absolutely real world unqualified for. But in the modern world success doesn’t mean successful. It means checking the right boxes. Don’t do that for the athletic Director position at Nebraska. Find the person who will lead the department to the highest level of actual field, in the classroom, and marketing for the next generation of players.

How Matt Davidson names comes up in some of these names for potential AD is beyond me and I’m using the OWH as one of them..

He was one of the problems when SF was here. Heard the some Women complained to TA that they couldn’t get on the golf simulator because SF and Davidson were always on it..
When I hear Matt Davison's name mentioned as an AD candidate, the only logical reason that he would even be considered would be that there's a wealthy donor pushing for him. I think I'll sit down to a dry, chewy grass fed steak and try to figure out who that would be.

Well first of all, "stakeholders" was NOT invented by DEI. It was a highly used term in my MBA business class many, many years ago before anyone had ever heard of "DEI". It's more indicative of being "customer driven" than anything.

Second, "competent and qualified" is a given. Do you honestly think someone is intentionally going to hire a candidate they think is incompetent and unqualified? The real question is just WHO determines that. I'm suggesting an approach that takes into account multiple stakeholder views so that the selection process is well-balanced rather than dominated by a top-down dictator process.
Yes, stakeholders has been used forever along with plankholders, people who are long and short poles in the tent, people who drop the ball, a fair haired child, and people who walk on water. If I took more than a minute to think about it, I could probably remember another dozen metaphors we used to throw around in the corporate world long before DEI.

Hire the best person for the job. Don’t add silly restrictions that will rule out scores of quality candidates.

The biggest problem is that people want to know who their boss will be. They want to look that person in the eye and hear them explain their vision. They want to hear about the near term challenges, long term goals. They want to know what to expect for oversight, assistance, and overhead. Will there be confidence in candidates’ minds on these issues?

And whatever you do, don’t hire Matt Davison.

And whatever you do, don’t hire Matt Davison.
Davison was Senior Associate Athletic Director before he took the position as President of the 1890 Initiative. So, he does have experience in a high level position in the athletic department. That, plus being a former star football player, would probably make him an attractive candidate in the eyes of some of the former players.

Define the terms qualified and competent. Define them clearly and honestly. The word salad of throwing out terms, and never defining them as part of the biggest problem of getting people into positions that they are absolutely real world unqualified for. But in the modern world success doesn’t mean successful. It means checking the right boxes. Don’t do that for the athletic Director position at Nebraska. Find the person who will lead the department to the highest level of actual field, in the classroom, and marketing for the next generation of players.
Sometimes those types of leaders, maybe even often, wouldn’t appear to have the resume to make them appear “qualified” to the public.

Davison was Senior Associate Athletic Director before he took the position as President of the 1890 Initiative. So, he does have experience in a high level position in the athletic department. That, plus being a former star football player, would probably make him an attractive candidate in the eyes of some of the former players.
While Davison's title under Frost was impressive, he does not "have experience in a high level position in the athletic department." He was a yes man lackey for Frost and was not involved in running the department. He is uniquely unqualified to run a major Division I department of athletics

He wasn’t close to be qualified for that job . And the AD is 100 times higher .

I’d rather have Ed Stewart.. Even Paul Meyers would be 10 times better than Davison and he held the same position as MD did when TO and Shawn Eichorst were AD’s..

He most likely wouldn’t want the job because he is busy watching his son Jake play for the Astros..

Reactions: IowaHuskr
First of all, who gives a damn what former players think. It’s not their call any more than it is mine.

Davison is forever linked to the incompetent shit show that was the Scott Frost years. He enabled and covered for that loser. I don’t want him in any official capacity. I would prefer he gets fired from 1890 and moves to Arizona.

First of all, who gives a damn what former players think. It’s not their call any more than it is mine.

Davison is forever linked to the incompetent shit show that was the Scott Frost years. He enabled and covered for that loser. I don’t want him in any official capacity. I would prefer he gets fired from 1890 and moves to Arizona.
Davison was a good fundraiser for the AD and he’s done okay at that for 1890. I’m not going to demonize him for Frost. That said he would be an awful choice for AD.

Reactions: huskerfan66
While Davison's title under Frost was impressive, he does not "have experience in a high level position in the athletic department." He was a yes man lackey for Frost and was not involved in running the department. He is uniquely unqualified to run a major Division I department of athletics
I shall add this phrase to my lexicon ‘uniquely unqualified’

Thank you. It shall come in handy.

Despite this slobbering piece from John Chapman, I don't think one publicity hound looking for attention qualifies as a grassroots movement of former players who want a say in hiring the next AD.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Despite this slobbering piece from John Chapman, I don't think one publicity hound looking for attention qualifies as a grassroots movement of former players who want a say in hiring the next AD.
I believe when they hired Moos . They had a committee made up of current and former players and some University staff that meant with the search firm to identify a type AD they were looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT