ADVERTISEMENT

5 years from now

You know what I meant. When this scheme continues to not work on both sides of the ball, he has one last card he can pull, to remain the coach, and that is to change back to what used to work. Offensively and Defensively. It might not be exact, but you can see Wisconsin has their version of it, that has been working for years, ours will be different, but it's all sort of the same thing.
Wisconsin’s system (while solid) works against lesser teams, a high percentage against equal teams, and never against more talented teams. When they get down by a couple of touchdowns things get bad quickly.

The best Wisconsin ever looked was with Russell Wilson. He was a dual threat difference maker that could do things their standard pocket passers couldn’t. Since then, they’ve looked solid against teams until they come against a spread team with all the talent like Ohio State. Ohio State makes them look slow and plodding. Wisconsin though somewhat successful is not a team I want Nebraska to be like.

At Oregon,with SF as OC, their run to pass ratio varied according to its strengths.
With Maiota there, there was more passing, 55 to 45 run/pass, then with their better rbs and no
Mariota but great rbs, over 60-40

I
Nebraska will be in the Western Athletic Conference after a conference vote involving Big Ten Presidents and ADs.

Best of luck with the volleyball season.

Look, it's the 'Insider' again. Tell us, oh wise one, why did the Holiday Bowl have fewer viewers than these compelling matchups (below)? If anything, the B1G is probably looking at this and saying "Get Iowa's AD on the phone. We need to have a chat."

You keep thinking people give a shit about Iowa, and we'll keep laughing, K?

Okie St-Texas A&M
Texas Bowl

Tennessee-Indiana
Gator Bowl

Notre Dame-Iowa State
Camping World Bowl

Auburn-Minnesota
Outback Bowl

MSU-Wake Forest
Pinstripe Bowl

Navy-K-State
Liberty Bowl

Arizona State-Florida State
Sun Bowl

Pitt-Eeastern Michigan
Quick Lane Bowl

NDSU-JMU
FCS Championship

Boise St-Washington
Las Vegas Bowl

Kentucky-Va Tech
Belk Bowl

Wash St-Air Force
Cactus Bowl

giphy-2.gif

Its the off season and Im bored. Make 3 predictions you believe will happen for Nebraska football within the next 5 years. Realistic not fantasy. lol

Im going with

-Frost will be named coach of the year
-Nebraska will play in the BIG10 title game at least twice.
-We will have beat Iowa 4 out of 5 years.
Nebraska goes to the Big Ten Championship once
Martinez gets All-BIG Honors
Nebraska wins 10 games

Its the off season and Im bored. Make 3 predictions you believe will happen for Nebraska football within the next 5 years. Realistic not fantasy. lol

Im going with

Chances are we will be looking for a new coach. Frankie lasted 6, Bo lasted 7...and those coaches had winning percentages in the range of >70%. Frost hasn't shown that he can reach even those mediocre levels. There isn't really any reason to expect a breakout season until 2021 and our schedule is brutal as of right now. We could be an awesome team and still only win 8 or 9. That would be four seasons..three bad to mediocre and one decent. How is supposed to build a team of all-americans with that track record? The 2021 season will kill fans too because there will be high expectations and we won't beat the tough teams on our schedule. Frost could finally figure it out by year 6 but there isn't precedent for such patience in such a big money sport. And coaches returning to their Alma Mater have a historically bad track record. Fans have made two mistakes with Frost...think he is a magical unicorn that can snap his fingers and fix systemic issues quickly, and fans think this is our last chance. We have a rabid loyal fan base, a great atmosphere, and recruiting has been good enough the last 10 years to be in a couple BCS games. We just haven't hired the right guy because we hired Frankie because of his predecessor, hire Cally because he was available, hired Bo because he the opposite of Cally, hired Riley because he was the opposite of Bo, and hired Frost because he was good Nu QB. How bout we hire the best coach available without cronyism or some weird hang up on the previous guys inadequacies.

I

Look, it's the 'Insider' again. Tell us, oh wise one, why did the Holiday Bowl have fewer viewers than these compelling matchups (below)? If anything, the B1G is probably looking at this and saying "Get Iowa's AD on the phone. We need to have a chat."

You keep thinking people give a shit about Iowa, and we'll keep laughing, K?

Okie St-Texas A&M
Texas Bowl

Tennessee-Indiana
Gator Bowl

Notre Dame-Iowa State
Camping World Bowl

Auburn-Minnesota
Outback Bowl

MSU-Wake Forest
Pinstripe Bowl

Navy-K-State
Liberty Bowl

Arizona State-Florida State
Sun Bowl

Pitt-Eeastern Michigan
Quick Lane Bowl

NDSU-JMU
FCS Championship

Boise St-Washington
Las Vegas Bowl

Kentucky-Va Tech
Belk Bowl

Wash St-Air Force
Cactus

Yup Husker Doo, I see you listed several college bowl games. I think there are about 40 bowl games now I want to say fwiw. I assume your team will join the rest of the conference in being asked to play in one of these 40 at some point. If Nebraska U makes a bowl this year I’ll be watching your boys hopefully make our conference gush with pride while roughing up the Leathernecks or the Catamounts on the blue turf of Boise. Big Ten Pride Husker doo. Ricky

Chances are we will be looking for a new coach. Frankie lasted 6, Bo lasted 7...and those coaches had winning percentages in the range of >70%. Frost hasn't shown that he can reach even those mediocre levels. There isn't really any reason to expect a breakout season until 2021 and our schedule is brutal as of right now. We could be an awesome team and still only win 8 or 9. That would be four seasons..three bad to mediocre and one decent. How is supposed to build a team of all-americans with that track record? The 2021 season will kill fans too because there will be high expectations and we won't beat the tough teams on our schedule. Frost could finally figure it out by year 6 but there isn't precedent for such patience in such a big money sport. And coaches returning to their Alma Mater have a historically bad track record. Fans have made two mistakes with Frost...think he is a magical unicorn that can snap his fingers and fix systemic issues quickly, and fans think this is our last chance. We have a rabid loyal fan base, a great atmosphere, and recruiting has been good enough the last 10 years to be in a couple BCS games. We just haven't hired the right guy because we hired Frankie because of his predecessor, hire Cally because he was available, hired Bo because he the opposite of Cally, hired Riley because he was the opposite of Bo, and hired Frost because he was good Nu QB. How bout we hire the best coach available without cronyism or some weird hang up on the previous guys inadequacies.
I think Frost was the best coach available when we fired Riley. Time will tell if he's still around after 5 more years or is fired like the previous 4 head coaches.

1. Nebraska will play for one B1G title and get slaughtered by tOSU and everyone will make comparisons to how Wisconsin owned Bo.
2. The spring game will only draw 60,000 and everyone will think the sky is falling.
3. We will still hear the battle cry that we are young even though nearly every team in America is stocked with more underclassmen than upper, that is the just the way it works with attrition.
4. We will hear the words "almost" in every other post on here. We almost had a top ten class, we almost beat some top teams, we almost had a winning record.
5. This will all get better when Frost gets his recruits and none of us realize how big this rebuild really is - I predict we will hear this still five years from now.
6. People will become disenchanted with the Frost O and demand a more power oriented O because the same excuse was given Riley - you can't recruit enough skill players to Nebraska to make the O work.
7. Frost and Co. will win 11 games one season in the next five years
8. The pressure on Frost to win it all becomes too great and he resigns for his own health and personal well being.

Last edited:
We just haven't hired the right guy because we hired Frankie because of his predecessor, hire Cally because he was available, hired Bo because he the opposite of Cally, hired Riley because he was the opposite of Bo, and hired Frost because he was good Nu QB. How bout we hire the best coach available without cronyism or some weird hang up on the previous guys inadequacies.
People seem to think only reason we hired Frost was because he was Neb QB. Actually that is the only reason we got him. He was the best option out there in 2017. I guarantee all or almost all school who had and open coaching position would have taken him in a heart beat.

Hindsight is 20/20. So easy to look at the names now and say Oh yeah he would have been way better, but at the time who would have you wanted besides Frost.

SCHOOL 2017 COACH REPLACEMENT
Arizona Kevin Sumlin
Arizona State Herm Edwards
Arkansas Chad Morris
Florida Dan Mullen
Florida State Willie Taggart
Mississippi State Joe Moorhead
Nebraska Scott Frost
Ole Miss Matt Luke
Oregon Mario Cristobal
Oregon State Jonathan Smith
Tennessee Jeremy Pruitt
Texas A&M Jimbo Fisher
UCF Josh Heupel
UCLA Chip Kelly

People seem to think only reason we hired Frost was because he was Neb QB. Actually that is the only reason we got him. He was the best option out there in 2017. I guarantee all or almost all school who had and open coaching position would have taken him in a heart beat.

Hindsight is 20/20. So easy to look at the names now and say Oh yeah he would have been way better, but at the time who would have you wanted besides Frost.

Arizona Kevin Sumlin
Arizona State Herm Edwards
Arkansas Chad Morris
Florida Dan Mullen
Florida State Willie Taggart
Mississippi State Joe Moorhead
Nebraska Scott Frost
Ole Miss Matt Luke
Oregon Mario Cristobal
Oregon State Jonathan Smith
Tennessee Jeremy Pruitt
Texas A&M Jimbo Fisher
UCF Josh Heupel
UCLA Chip Kelly
I agree that the pool was weak...but half that list has done as much or more than Frost since 2017. I guarendamtee you we would not have given 35 million to another 2nd year coach with only one winning season in his career. We gave the contract and the years because Frosty is a Nebraska boy. And the money and years made him come here, not being a Nebraska boy. Think of the coaches we could have hired at 5 million a year for 7...it was a desperate move...he had all of the leverage, that is not the way to run a multimillion dollar business.

Reactions: husker2612
B1G Championship trophy in the trophy case. Appearance in the playoff. If neither of those happen, I will be hoping our new head coach can do the same down the road.

Hey Rick,

Let me know if you need help on responding to messages. I know it's a terribly complex process clicking on "Reply" and then typing out a message and clicking on "Post Reply."

Maybe there is a cheat sheet that Rivals can send out to remedial Rivals members such as yourself, that can't complete a simple 2-step process.

Meh, we've probably played in double the number of bowl games Iowa has played in, and ours were actually meaningful. :D But keep at it. I'm sure your team will play in a bowl of substance at some point. The odds have to eventually be in your favor, don't they??

I know it's crushing you that Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan State, and even Iowa State had larger viewing audiences than Iowa's bowl, but keep your chin up, kid. Someday it will be Iowa's turn to shine in the Belk or Pinstripe Bowl.

Forget about 5 years...how about One Hundred Years From Now..

Those coaches weren't crap, which ones in the ncaa record books? And no, I dont mean Bo and there goes Gordon either.
None have ever gone undefeated, and none ever set the standard for turnarounds.

I agree that the pool was weak...but half that list has done as much or more than Frost since 2017. I guarendamtee you we would not have given 35 million to another 2nd year coach with only one winning season in his career. We gave the contract and the years because Frosty is a Nebraska boy. And the money and years made him come here, not being a Nebraska boy. Think of the coaches we could have hired at 5 million a year for 7...it was a desperate move...he had all of the leverage, that is not the way to run a multimillion dollar business.
I don't disagree with what you are saying. Honestly Im still not 100% sold on him being able to get it done here. I agree, if he doesn't cut it. We have to go out and pay top dollar to find or steal the best coach we can possible get. Then pay top dollar to get top level assistants.

Here is what every coach (p5) has done their first 2 years. Also included the year before record. When looking at the 12 p5 coaching changes for that year. 5 have worse record or were Fired. 3 have gained 1 game. Only 3 have increased more than 1 game.
Arizona Kevin Sumlin 7-6, (5-7, 4-8) 3 game Worse
Arizona State Herm Edwards 7-6 (7-6, 8-4) 1 game improvement
Arkansas Chad Morris 4-8 (2-10, 2-10) FIRED
Florida Dan Mullen 4-7 (10-3,11-2) 7 game improvement
Florida State Willie Taggart 7-6 (5-7 6-7) FIRED
Mississippi State Joe Moorhead 9-4 (8-5, 7-6) 2 game worse
Nebraska Scott Frost 4-8 (4-8, 5-7) 1 game improvement
Oregon Mario Cristobal 7-6 (9-4, 12-2) 5 game improvement
Oregon State Jonathan Smith1-11 (2-10, 5-7) 4 game improvement
Tennessee Jeremy Pruitt 4-8 (5-7, 8-5) 4 game improvement
Texas A&M Jimbo Fisher 7-6 ( 9-4, 8-5) 1 game improvement
UCLA Chip Kelly 6-7 (3-9, 4-8) 2 game worse

Last edited:
I don't disagree with what you are saying. Honestly Im still not 100% sold on him being able to get it done here. I agree, if he doesn't cut it. We have to go out and pay top dollar to find or steal the best coach we can possible get. Then pay top dollar to get top level assistants.

Here is what every coach (p5) has done their first 2 years. Also included the year before record. When looking at the 12 p5 coaching changes for that year. 5 have worse record or were Fired. 3 have gained 1 game. Only 3 have increased more than 1 game.
Arizona Kevin Sumlin 7-6, (5-7, 4-8) 3 game Worse
Arizona State Herm Edwards 7-6 (7-6, 8-4) 1 game improvement
Arkansas Chad Morris 4-8 (2-10, 2-10) FIRED
Florida Dan Mullen 4-7 (10-3,11-2) 7 game improvement
Florida State Willie Taggart 7-6 (5-7 6-7) FIRED
Mississippi State Joe Moorhead 9-4 (8-5, 7-6) 2 game worse
Nebraska Scott Frost 4-8 (4-8, 5-7) 1 game improvement
Oregon Mario Cristobal 7-6 (9-4, 12-2) 5 game improvement
Oregon State Jonathan Smith1-11 (2-10, 5-7) 4 game improvement
Tennessee Jeremy Pruitt 4-8 (5-7, 8-5) 4 game improvement
Texas A&M Jimbo Fisher 7-6 ( 9-4, 8-5) 1 game improvement
UCLA Chip Kelly 6-7 (3-9, 4-8) 2 game worse

The head coach is an important piece of the program and can wreck it as much as build it but there are others involved in a major corporation or program that have major effects as well. T.O was just one of many highly competent dedicated people who made the 90s team excel. The issue I have is that NU has been devoid of talent from top to bottom for so long because we make decisions in an adolescent manner. It is not that hard to quantitatively calculate the best option at coach, for the best price. A corporation would involve personality tests, profit algorithms, and all sorts of mathematical rigs to see if a person was fit to run such a large company. We basically have said...who was the last guy, who is available, and then ask is he nebraskan enough, or is he not nebraskan enough. So we have ended up with 3 blue-collar guys who say it how it is, and 2 cali guys. It is completely unbalanced, reactionary, and adolescent...and desperate. Hopefully this one works out.

The head coach is an important piece of the program and can wreck it as much as build it but there are others involved in a major corporation or program that have major effects as well. T.O was just one of many highly competent dedicated people who made the 90s team excel. The issue I have is that NU has been devoid of talent from top to bottom for so long because we make decisions in an adolescent manner. It is not that hard to quantitatively calculate the best option at coach, for the best price. A corporation would involve personality tests, profit algorithms, and all sorts of mathematical rigs to see if a person was fit to run such a large company. We basically have said...who was the last guy, who is available, and then ask is he nebraskan enough, or is he not nebraskan enough. So we have ended up with 3 blue-collar guys who say it how it is, and 2 cali guys. It is completely unbalanced, reactionary, and adolescent...and desperate. Hopefully this one works out.

Solich- was probably they best fit. Considering his experience in the system, recruiting the area, and TO basically mentoring him to take over. Not sure what happened there. Bad recruiter?
Then we go out and get Billy C- who was never more than a O line coach at the P5 level. The only HC experience he had of any kind, he was previously fired from the year before.
Pelini- Again Zero HC experience of any kind, he was more of an emotional hire because that is what the majority of Neb fans wanted.
Riley- We all understand this one, zero logic, zero searching. Eichorst basically went out and found the opposite of Pelini and said you are hired. This imo was the worst hire in 60+ years at Nebraska, and probably set us back 5 years.
Frost- I do agree was probably more of an emotional hire, he was the guy fans wanted. He had 1 good year as an HC but it was at G5 level. As I mentioned he was probably one of the top guys in the country at that point, but the competition for available coaches were pretty low that year.
Yes I understand it is not as simple as saying, "we want that coach" Snap your fingers, and pay them a truck load of cash. Odds are if a coaching is having top level success at a p5 program, they probably are going to leave and least not to come to Nebraska.

Interesting to me that both Scott Frost and Chip Kelly are doing so poorly running the same or very similar schemes the past 2 years.

Not sure we can draw any conclusions to that, it's just sort of makes me want to start asking more questions.

Reactions: husker2612
Frost will be fired, and Davison will get the soap bar in a towel treatment by 30 lucky fans who won the right in a lottery sponsored by Dove! ;)
The fact that Matt Davison has anything remotely to do with this program, should be a good indicator of the current state of it.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
Interesting to me that both Scott Frost and Chip Kelly are doing so poorly running the same or very similar schemes the past 2 years.

Not sure we can draw any conclusions to that, it's just sort of makes me want to start asking more questions.
Not sure, would like to say both took over programs that were left in disarray, and it takes that long. However when looking at UCLA. Mora took UCLA who the previous 10-15 years was a 4-7 win program. He brought them to 9-5, 10-3, 10-3, 8-5, and 4-8. So I don't think they were in as bad of spot as Nebraska.
Very well could indicate that, this style of offense, doesn't work that well in the p5 unless you are able to pull in elite top 5 or 10 recruiting classes and have a team stocked full of talent and speed and every position. For those more in the know than I, can someone name teams (in p5) who run an offense very similar to ours who recruits in the 20s + range? and has had a high level of success over the last 5 years.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Im going with

All very reasonable predictions. You are obviously a fine judge of the future.

The fact that Matt Davison has anything remotely to do with this program, should be a good indicator of the current state of it.
Davison's role is strictly as a handshaker, fundraiser and voice to be sure Frost gets everything he wants from the AD and NU's president. He's effective at all of those things. With all due respect, if you had been on any team of mine back in the day you would have either ridden the end of the bench or been kicked off the team for having a sh##ty attitude.Winking

At Oregon,with SF as OC, their run to pass ratio varied according to its strengths.
With Maiota there, there was more passing, 55 to 45 run/pass, then with their better rbs and no
Mariota but great rbs, over 60-40

Here are the actual numbers

Total plays by quarter.

1st 722 rush - 603 pass - 1325 total 54/46 r/p
2nd 675 rush - 652 pass - 1327 total 51/49 r/p
3rd 674 rush - 495 pass - 1169 total 58/42 r/p
4th 769 rush - 362 pass - 1131 total 68/42 r/p

In quarters 1-3 Frost guided offenses are at 54/46 run/pass ratio.
Full game ratio is 57/43. The records of his teams over that 5 year stretch 52-15.

Davison's role is strictly as a handshaker, fundraiser and voice to be sure Frost gets everything he wants from the AD and NU's president. He's effective at all of those things. With all due respect, if you had been on any team of mine back in the day you would have either ridden the end of the bench or been kicked off the team for having a sh##ty attitude.Winking
If that is all he does, we should all apply to be a greeter at Walmart. Not sure if they would pay the 175 grand salary though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT