ADVERTISEMENT

5 losses by 13 points.

That's a pretty good point, Our last 4 coaches all have losses against unranked teams. Frank Solich lost to 5 of them in 6 years. Bill Callahan lost to 11 of them in 4 years, Bo Pelini lost to 10 of them in 7 years. Mike Riley has lost to 5 of them in 8 tries.

Riley's opponents have a .633 winning percentage right now. South Alabama is the only team with a losing record at 3-4. Bo built his record off cupcakes. I suspect that's why here asked to be fired.

Two things: There is no doubt in my mind that the coaches said something to TA about running the play clock down. Secondly, the fact that you or anybody on here would believe that a third year starting division one qb would need a coach to let him know to drain the clock before snapping the ball, sais all you need to know about his mental capacity and what these coaches have to work with.

Why are you under the impression TA DIDNT run the play clock down? You are right, we did run the clock down and that likely came from the coaches...just didn't run it down enough. Looking back on our last drive the ball was snapped from anywhere between 4-7 seconds left on the playclock. If that wasn't satisfactory to Riley or Langsdorf they should have relayed the message to Tommy...and they had multiple times to do so. The 3-4 additional seconds that could have ticked off was likely the difference between a win and a loss. Also, we had two timeouts remaining, call timeout if you feel like Tommy is not running the clock down enough....again, just a lame excuse on your part. Blame Tommy if you want...but at the end of the day the coaching staff let it happen. If Tommy is a mental midget on the football field...after 4 games, spring ball, and fall ball...you would think this staff would realize this and not put the ball in his hands on the play vs Illinois. The staff gets quite a bit of blame for stuff they can't really control...but to absolve them from the above issues and lay it all on Tommy's shoulders is comical.

Riley's opponents have a .633 winning percentage right now. South Alabama is the only team with a losing record at 3-4. Bo built his record off cupcakes. I suspect that's why here asked to be fired.
Actually I was comparing all 4 coaches but Bo did beat his cupcakes yes.

Why are you under the impression TA DIDNT run the play clock down? You are right, we did run the clock down and that likely came from the coaches...just didn't run it down enough. Looking back on our last drive the ball was snapped from anywhere between 4-7 seconds left on the playclock. If that wasn't satisfactory to Riley or Langsdorf they should have relayed the message to Tommy...and they had multiple times to do so. The 3-4 additional seconds that could have ticked off was likely the difference between a win and a loss. Also, we had two timeouts remaining, call timeout if you feel like Tommy is not running the clock down enough....again, just a lame excuse on your part. Blame Tommy if you want...but at the end of the day the coaching staff let it happen. If Tommy is a mental midget on the football field...after 4 games, spring ball, and fall ball...you would think this staff would realize this and not put the ball in his hands on the play vs Illinois. The staff gets quite a bit of blame for stuff they can't really control...but to absolve them from the above issues and lay it all on Tommy's shoulders is comical.

He was having the ball snapped with around 15 seconds on the play clock...

He was having the ball snapped with around 15 seconds on the play clock...
Here is video. Let me know on that last drive how many snaps he had with 15 seconds left on the clock. He certainly didn't do it when the game clock was running. He did run the clock down...probably based on feedback from Riley and company. They just didn't run it down enough. Not sure if it caused us a loss. But most definitely a coaching blunder whether you want to admit it or not.

Last edited:
Here is video. Let me know on that last drive how many snaps he had with 15 seconds left on the clock. Her certainly didn't do it when the game clock was running. He did run the clock down...probably based on feedback from Riley and company. They just didn't run it down enough. Not sure if it caused us a loss. But most definitely a coaching blunder whether you want to admit it or not.

They threw up that hail mary after the proceeding play left one second on the clock. I still can't watch it.

Here is video. Let me know on that last drive how many snaps he had with 15 seconds left on the clock. He certainly didn't do it when the game clock was running. He did run the clock down...probably based on feedback from Riley and company. They just didn't run it down enough. Not sure if it caused us a loss. But most definitely a coaching blunder whether you want to admit it or not.
54 seconds on that last drive alone. We gave them the ball back with 48 seconds left.

I support Riley .. but to be fair, to date, we haven't played a team worth a shit and we are looking at 5 losses and counting

Exactly.

We're losing to everybody & their brother...and we haven't even played a good team yet.

we are the Baltimore Ravens this season. 1-7 with their largest margin of defeat I think by no more than the TD and 2 pt conversion they lost by last night. Last night the John HARBAUGH coached team with a former Super Bowl MVP QB lost when their QB threw an interception in the endzone at the end of the game. Fire the coach.

Was Harbaugh losing to Illinois BYU Northwestern when he has superior talent? Unlike Harbaugh, Riley had never did anything in his career.

Was Harbaugh losing to Illinois BYU Northwestern when he has superior talent? Unlike Harbaugh, Riley had never did anything in his career.

I doubt Harbaugh had to deal with a "jones like" atmosphere with a team. Riley likes to use coachspeak when dealing with touchy situations. And after Illinois he made the comments that he's never experienced anything like this in all his years of coaching. He response was to all these close losses but i believe he was addressing a bigger issue the only way he knew how.

Riley can't blame the BYU or the Illinois loss on Bo or the locker room or any other mythical bullshit reasons you want to come up with. He can blame it on one person, himself.

Reactions: wreckitralph
After an entire offseason of hearing and reading how Nebraska has an "adult in charge" and "a real head coach," I'm amazed at the levels of excuses put forth.

Anyone who expressed even a slightly skeptical opinion of the coaching hires was trashed and mocked. Now that some of that skepticism has shown through in the first 8 games, it seems like it's turned into a game of who can create the most outlandish excuse.

I mean really, now it's a cult that is causing all the problems? Come on.

There is an agenda. If you aren't pushing the agenda, then expect to be ridiculed. That's what this board has been for a long time.

Reactions: Gimmered
Riley can't blame the BYU or the Illinois loss on Bo or the locker room or any other mythical bullshit reasons you want to come up with. He can blame it on one person, himself.

Was Kenny Bell's comments mythical??? I'll play devils advocate here...
Who's not running the clock down enough against BYU???
Who's not running when told to run against Illinois???

Maybe there is something to the Manchurian Candidate???

so now armstrong is throwing games. seriously, get a grip.

LOL!!! I know it's crazy!!!

Miami- Leads us all the way back only to throw one of the most under thrown passes into a a waiting defenders arms.

Northwestern- Throws a pick 6 to a Wildcat defender and it looks like he threw it to him. It was so bad it looked like he saw the all white uniform and thought Nebraska road uniform.

I have to add an honorable mention too...
Gerry and his incredible balance in avoiding the quarterback on those two long runs. That was very impressive.

Last edited:
Absolutely. It takes 4 times the effort to fabricate the excuses and BS that is floating around this board, as opposed to looking at the tangible issues on the field and sideline. We have lost games because of poor play and poor situational coaching.

Reactions: wreckitralph
It's nice that we aren't getting blown out because it atleast means we are not that far off from being respectable at this point....but my main concern is that some of the losses can be tied directly to coaching down the stretch. That may change in the future if we get more talent but it's not a good look for a staff that was partly hired because of their experience.
last line 100 percent on mark!!

Miami- Leads us all the way back only to throw one of the most under thrown passes into a a waiting defenders arms.

Northwestern- Throws a pick 6 to a Wildcat defender and it looks like he threw it to him. It was so bad it looked like he saw the all white uniform and thought Nebraska road uniform.

Gerry and his incredible balance in avoiding the quarterback on those two long runs. That was very impressive.

This HAS to be a sig!

OMG now you are claiming that Armstrong is losing these games on purpose. That is just beyond pathetic.

OMG now you are claiming that Armstrong is losing these games on purpose. That is just beyond pathetic.

I don' t believe for a nano second that he is losing games on purpose but man some of his decisions would make a lot more sense if that were the case as opposed to him actually trying to play the position on some of those WTF plays he delivers in times of crisis

I don' t believe for a nano second that he is losing games on purpose but man some of his decisions would make a lot more sense if that were the case as opposed to him actually trying to play the position on some of those WTF plays he delivers in times of crisis
Yeah I agree he hasn't shown any improvement this year. That is very disappointing with the "improved" QB coaching.

Yeah I agree he hasn't shown any improvement this year. That is very disappointing with the "improved" QB coaching.

agree was hoping to see some improvement .. some of that is probably coaching but a QB coach needs to have a QB to coach

I am beginning to see why Bo didn't have a QB coach, he didn't recruit any

Riley's offense apparently is going to require a QB

agree was hoping to see some improvement .. some of that is probably coaching but a QB coach needs to have a QB to coach

I am beginning to see why Bo didn't have a QB coach, he didn't recruit any

Riley's offense apparently is going to require a QB
Armstrong is a hell of an athlete and a warrior for this team. He is not a NFL style QB. It just really bugs me to see a guy that couldn't carry his jock claim he is throwing these games.

For the love of God please tell me you are joking?

The term "Devils Advocate" obviously is lost on a few people. Also look up the definition of the term Manchurian Candidate. There is a word in the definition and it's unwittingly. People who are brainwashed typical do things they don't even realize they're doing.

The term "Devils Advocate" obviously is lost on a few people. Also look up the definition of the term Manchurian Candidate. There is a word in the definition and it's unwittingly. People who are brainwashed typical do things they don't even realize they're doing.
Yeah not joking. The excuses some of you people will conjure up for 3-5 are quite imaginative while pathetic at the same time. While I get some people will blindly follow in more of a supportive roll I would say taking it to the place you did is entering into that cult like territory.

Reactions: Gimmered
Yeah not joking. The excuses some of you people will conjure up for 3-5 are quite imaginative while pathetic at the same time. While I get some people will blindly follow in more of a supportive roll I would say taking it to the place you did is entering into that cult like territory.
Simply unbelievable isn't it.

Reactions: switchback06

Ok, now we're talking. I would pull out the rover howitzer and lay waste to you and your minions. But the mods are watching baseball so I'm give you a reprieve. Best behavior is the order of the day.

This HAS to be a sig!

sr8dRUo.gif

Gerry definitely moved up from honorable mention.

ADVERTISEMENT