ADVERTISEMENT

445 yards. 3tds...

I find his play this season somewhat perplexing too regardless of today’s stats. I actually noticed it last season too, but attributed it to his injury. Right now, I just think it is who he is: incredibly talented showing flashes of greatness while also flashes of poor decision making and afraid to make a mistake. Couple that with play selection that doesn’t always emphasize his strengths and here we are. If I recall he was injured his Senior year of high school, so you have that factor —he is still somewhat playing catch-up. I’m not sure benching him as a means of sending a message to him to “shape up” would do anything at all. He needs to keep playing football and then if he just isn’t progressing, then reassess. I’m all for letting other QB’s play but you have to be careful there too because they’ll have their own learning curve to deal with. GBR.
If he's not going to play with a sense of urgency on 3rd downs at least, I'm ok with letting him sit. He's done it several times this year either running out of bounds early, falling down in front of a defender, or not throwing a block or even getting in the way of a defender when he had the opportunity to. What the heck did he put all that weight on if he's not going to use it?

Reactions: natesonnen
how many penalties last week?

improvement isn't linear.

If you want to assess our development vs a non-power 5 team, that's your prerogative. I choose to do it against P-5 teams, that can actually somewhat match our level of talent.

Maybe, maybe not. But if our team would have panicked like you did last night we’d have lost by 3 touchdowns. Bro.

Like I said, I'm not stupid. Enjoy your lolly pops and rainbows and Dick and Jane books...remedial bro.

If you want to assess our development vs a non-power 5 team, that's your prerogative. I choose to do it against P-5 teams, that can actually somewhat match our level of talent.

last year, 4 turnovers, 110+ yards in penalties, loss

this year, 4 turnovers, 110+ yards in penalties, win

sure looks like development to me.

bet your co-workers are really looking forward to your witty remarks at the water cooler this week.

The poster's here can be a joke. They live in a false history of glory days mauling mediocre to bad Big 8 opponents ( excluding Oklahoma), and glorify decent past players to God like status. Give me Martinez, Robinson and MO Washington over Tagge, Kinney and Rodgers as sophomores/freshmen anytime. The latter were solid and steady, but as dynamic trios go I'take our current batch. Give Frost another two years to finish stocking our lines and we will be ready to reclaim our glorious past. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the roller coaster ride to the 6-6 or 7-5 and a bowl I have predicted for the past year.
Is Illinois any better than any of those Big 8 programs? We're a heck of a long way from the TO and Devaney days.

Last edited:
1). I am hopeful that we will look back at this game as the one where Martinez realized that this offense needs him to be an Alpha. He was that in the second half and the offense looked way different even though we had several key skill guys out.

2). I hope the adjustment that the staff made to the (continuing) shit shotgun snaps wasn't to have Martinez jump each time the ball is snapped. That's not normal, it jacks up the timing of the play, and gives him even one more thing to have to do each play. He was jumping last night even on the snaps that were chest high.

last year, 4 turnovers, 110+ yards in penalties, loss

this year, 4 turnovers, 110+ yards in penalties, win

sure looks like development to me.

bet your co-workers are really looking forward to your witty remarks at the water cooler this week.

That's why you should stick to other sports. We won by what, 3 TDs last year against Illinois?

Perhaps ping pong is where your talents should reside. No?

Reactions: scarletred
Are we reading all those inside and outside zone plays?

He was a very reluctant runner this season up until the 2nd half - perhaps even making incorrect reads to avoid running the ball
On the read plays, he makes the wrong read a lot more often than he makes the right read and has been doing it since last year. Needs to be coached a lot better on those plays.

That's why you should stick to other sports. We won by what, 3 TDs last year against Illinois?

He doesn’t have time for ping pong bro, he’s defending us from the Sky’s and deserves our thanks bro.

these posts are why I'll still send you a valentine, Hoosker. Hilarious!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hoosker Du
You don’t do that to a captain and the leader of your offense. What kind of message does that send?
I saw that same guy not even attempting to block or get in the way of a defender when he could have helped out his running back. He's played timid all year and falls down in front of defenders when we need to get the first. I don't know if he's been over coached or what, but that's not the kind of leader you want on offense with the way he's played so far.

I think some of you guys need to reset your expectations this year. This is not going to be a great team or a team that wins the west, is it possible sure but not very likely.

This game we spotted a team 21 points and came back to win. The offense has 32 first downs and almost 700 yards of offense, that's an effective day against anyone. The offense however turned the ball over 4 times on the road and that is something we will not overcome against a better team. The defense played well in spurts and really bad in other spurts.

It's clear to me at least at present Wisconsin is the class in the west and Iowa is behind them. We are mixed in with the rest. If we get better we might beat Iowa but I think Wi will destroy us this year.

I am shooting for a bowl game and hoping we avoid embarrassing losses. If we do better than that I will be very happy
You're a lot more pessimistic than I am. I think this team has enough talent to be a good team, and I expect a lot better play our of them than we've seen against Illinois and the other teams we've played this season.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I saw that same guy not even attempting to block or get in the way of a defender when he could have helped out his running back. He's played timid all year and falls down in front of defenders when we need to get the first. I don't know if he's been over coached or what, but that's not the kind of leader you want on offense with the way he's played so far.

Right, bench his ass!

Bench for the game? No. Bench him for a series to send him a message to pull his head out of his ass? Your'e damn right. He should have sat out a series.
You don't do that to a guy who takes responsibility for his mistakes and the team's shortcomings. I agree he does seem to have regressed a bit this year, he was also the new kid on the block last year and every team now has a lot of film on the kid. Whatever is wrong is between his ears, maybe he is being over coached but he is a microcosm of the team. We have more talent than I thought, the D is better than expected but the turnovers, penalties and kicking woes are killers. Let's clean this shit up and play the very best we can against OSU.

Saturday was also a potential season-changing moment for quarterback Adrian Martinez. The sophomore led NU with 327 yards passing and 118 yards rushing, becoming just the second quarterback in school history to throw for 300 and rush for 100 yards in one game.

His 445 yards of total offense was the third-best game in school history.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Saturday was also a potential season-changing moment for quarterback Adrian Martinez. The sophomore led NU with 327 yards passing and 118 yards rushing, becoming just the second quarterback in school history to throw for 300 and rush for 100 yards in one game.

His 445 yards of total offense was the third-best game in school history.

It's easy to look at things like they are in a vacuum and try to find one thing or player that is the problem/solution. His success last night was due to a combination of things: better oline play, Wandale, being able to stay on the field and getting into rhythm, etc. It's unlikely that he has a great game next week and it won't be solely on his shoulders just like yesterday wasn't a huge step for him.

I never advocate benching AMart for the season, but sometimes I don't think it would be inappropriate to give Vedral a series to calm Martinez down. So far this year he seems to get wound up really tight sometimes.

I think you have to be very careful when you start playing that game... sometimes with any player, but even more so with the QB getting pulled can mess with your head. Make you play with that fear of messing up because you’ll get yanked, and even more so it pulls you out of your Rhythm, even if you don’t seem to be in... sometimes they just need to play themselves out of the jitters and into their rhythm

-Making him run sideline to sideline will never work, get him running forward.

-needs to know when a play is breaking down better

-two hands on the ball

-they overloaded him a bit with decisions, remember he’s a true sophomore who missed his last year of high school.

He’s fine, but one in a many line of NU qbs that you take the good with the bad.

He’s statistically better than last year, and seems to improve as years roll on, don’t worry.

Reactions: huntered
I think you have to be very careful when you start playing that game... sometimes with any player, but even more so with the QB getting pulled can mess with your head. Make you play with that fear of messing up because you’ll get yanked, and even more so it pulls you out of your Rhythm, even if you don’t seem to be in... sometimes they just need to play themselves out of the jitters and into their rhythm
In some areas he's been playing with no confidence and other areas it seems like he's too confident. I don't know if he could play with any more fear than he has been. AM is way too talented to be playing like he has so far. I am glad he is starting to throw it downfield more, but he's still struggling with accuracy at times. I apparently am a lot more optimistic than some of you because I don't think AM is just another qb or a Tommy Armstrong clone. I think he has as much talent as any of the great qb's we've had here and he needs to start playing like it.

In some areas he's been playing with no confidence and other areas it seems like he's too confident. I don't know if he could play with any more fear than he has been. AM is way too talented to be playing like he has so far. I am glad he is starting to throw it downfield more, but he's still struggling with accuracy at times. I apparently am a lot more optimistic than some of you because I don't think AM is just another qb or a Tommy Armstrong clone. I think he has as much talent as any of the great qb's we've had here and he needs to start playing like it.
Consider me in the same boat you are oldjar. I think 2AM has a ton of talent... I’m not sure what’s been going on so far this year but he will be fine...

He was very lucky to have 0 INT and also very lucky none of his WR left that game in an ambulance. You're also glossing over his two fumbles and falling down in the open field in the red zone.

The ambulance reference I assume is geared towards JD... Playing in the slot takes some toughness... He had to make some tough plays over the middle and if thats something he wants to do at the next level he will definitely need to get used to mixing it up with LBs and two highs on a regular basis... I agree that the ball security needs work but that goes for more than just Martinez...

He busted out in the 2nd half but that first half was ugly. And if you think he was great passing and nothing is ever wrong ask yourself why Frost was dialing up an overwhelming majority of runs down the stretch.

I'm wondering if you're suggesting that Frost started running the ball down the stretch because of Martinez playing poorly. If so I disagree... Martinez was 11/21 with 2 scores in the 1st half. A half in which there were still more run plays called than pass... 1st half was actually pretty balanced play calling wise... The 2nd half Martinez started throwing the football even better. The 2nd drive he was 5 for 5 with another TD pass. He was 6 for 6 when JD fumbled on the 2nd play of the 3rd drive. The 4th drive he had the strip-sack that I'm sure most have their own opinions on the call. The 5th drive Mills and Wandale ran the ball well with Mills getting the TD.. The go-ahead drive IMO was the best playcalling I've seen all year. It was a nice mixture of Wandale, Mills, and some DESIGNED Martinez runs. The last drive had questionable calls but we expect them to run the ball with the lead right??? In the end over half of the runs called came in the last 2 drives. Still, Martinez was 11-13 I believe with a TD...

The way he ran in the end is the way he needs to run all the time. Kid has had the yips, I don't wanna bench him forever but I wouldn't have been mad at seeing Vedral a series.

I agree 100% Maybe Im in the minority but I feel the coaches need to put them in that position. I think they are asking him to be more of a ball distributor this year instead of letting him make instinctive plays. Again I'm certain they told him last night just go out there and get it done and he responded.

Frost had the yips in early 96 too, doesn't mean the kid will never be good but right now they aren't a consistent offense and he is part of that.

Key word, Part... Again I think the staff has been pretty inconsistent with personnel and playcalling... Last night when they let kids get in a groove down the stretch you seen how well this offense opened up in all phases...

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
AM leads the conference in total yards!

So? He should be benched for obvious reasons..

I do think he needs to quit with that Mahomes crap though. He was looking at Wandale on some play last night and threw the ball to Stoll which was poorly thrown and didn’t result in a reception. I think he’s trying a little too hard to do some things that we don’t exactly need right now. We need consistency, not fancy maneuvers to fool the defense on and easy pitch and catch.

So? He should be benched for obvious reasons..

I do think he needs to quit with that Mahomes crap though. He was looking at Wandale on some play last night and threw the ball to Stoll which was poorly thrown and didn’t result in a reception. I think he’s trying a little too hard to do some things that we don’t exactly need right now. We need consistency, not fancy maneuvers to fool the defense on and easy pitch and catch.

I can't tell if you are saying he should be benched or he should not be benched.

Reactions: barney44
lots of good points both ways. seemed like years ago more teams willing to substitute a backup for a series or two, then go back to the starter. some did it on a regular basis. one thing for sure whatever they decided to do offensively in the second half should be carried forward to start games with.

lots of good points both ways. seemed like years ago more teams willing to substitute a backup for a series or two, then go back to the starter. some did it on a regular basis. one thing for sure whatever they decided to do offensively in the second half should be carried forward to start games with.

There were not a lot of good points made "both ways" in this thread.

This free board is a collection of some of the stupidest Husker fans in all of Husker land.

If you called for Martinez to be benched you're a fvcking moron. All of you.

There were not a lot of good points made "both ways" in this thread.

This free board is a collection of some of the stupidest Husker fans in all of Husker land.

If you called for Martinez to be benched you're a fvcking moron. All of you.
back at you dipstick, dumber just called dumb a moron. try and fire off a couple neurons before posting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT