ADVERTISEMENT

43 days:Best #43 in Husker history

Farley is a clear #1. Another that comes to mind is FB Phil Bates, who finally got the damn ball into the end zone at Missouri in '81.

Rich Sanger was also a reliable leg on the Devaney championship teams, and Todd Millikan was a good TE in the 80s.

Last edited:
Farley is a clear #1. Another that comes to mind is FB Phil Bates, who finally got the damn ball into the end zone at Missouri in '81.

Rich Sanger was also a reliable leg on the Devaney championship teams, and Todd Millikan was a good TE in the 80s.

You pretty much covered it for me..

Reactions: saluno22

Rich Sanger! One of the best nicknames around: Boo Boo, like the bear. And it fit him. Died a couple of years back.
Oh, and I gotta put in a plug for my boy LG Searcey

WILL Terrell Farley: It's a shame his Husker career ended the way it did, both for him and the team's conference and national title aspirations. The dude led NU in tackles in 1995 after not being in the starting lineup the first half of the season. His Huskers.com profile says he blocked 27 kicks (yes, twenty-seven) in high school and 7 blocked kicks his freshman year in JC. I'll never forget his impact on the punter in the 1996 KSU game: he was so fast coming around the edge, one time the punter didn't even bother trying to kick it (see about 0:50 and 1:20 in the clip below). I'm really happy he's gotten his life together.

The other memory of him is his fumble return for a TD on the first play of the 1996 Texas Tech game (about 2:05 in the clip above), specifically because the TV broadcaster had to tell fans (in case they tuned in slightly late) that the score was not an error and what they were seeing was not the opening kickoff. Byron Hanspard was a legit Heisman contender entering that game, and that campaign effectively ended that day.

Honorable mention...

SAM Scott Shanle: Walk-on turned 10-year professional career. Strangely never better than Honorable Mention All-Big 12. He just did his job... really, really well.

DT Ty Steinkuhler: The guy was just a warrior. Baker may have been a better overall athlete and prospect, but Ty put in the work and did what the team needed. He went from a LB in HS, to a DE to start his career, and ended up as an undersized DT.

WILL Terrell Farley: It's a shame his Husker career ended the way it did, both for him and the team's conference and national title aspirations. The dude led NU in tackles in 1995 after not being in the starting lineup the first half of the season. His Huskers.com profile says he blocked 27 kicks (yes, twenty-seven) in high school and 7 blocked kicks his freshman year in JC. I'll never forget his impact on the punter in the 1996 KSU game: he was so fast coming around the edge, one time the punter didn't even bother trying to kick it (see about 0:50 and 1:20 in the clip below). I'm really happy he's gotten his life together.

The other memory of him is his fumble return for a TD on the first play of the 1996 Texas Tech game (about 2:05 in the clip above), specifically because the TV broadcaster had to tell fans (in case they tuned in slightly late) that the score was not an error and what they were seeing was not the opening kickoff. Byron Hanspard was a legit Heisman contender entering that game, and that campaign effectively ended that day.

Honorable mention...

SAM Scott Shanle: Walk-on turned 10-year professional career. Strangely never better than Honorable Mention All-Big 12. He just did his job... really, really well.

DT Ty Steinkuhler: The guy was just a warrior. Baker may have been a better overall athlete and prospect, but Ty put in the work and did what the team needed. He went from a LB in HS, to a DE to start his career, and ended up as an undersized DT.
I'd forgotten about Ty Steinkuhler. Good call.
My last two: All-American Lonnie Stiner and Dave Morock, good DB for the Bobfather.

Terrell Farley is always fun to watch in highlights. According to a lot of his teammates I have heard on the radio and talked to personally, he was not nearly as athletic as most would assume. Damon Benning actually called him slow and said every d-end on the team was faster than Farley. What Farley did have was that Rainman savant ability to just KNOW where to be in the blink of an eye and go there. That is why in the highlights, he always just seems to be right in the throwing lane or right where the play is going or right where the ball bounces on a fumble. It was as if he could read the play before it happened and go to that spot. I was talking personally to one of his teammates who said Farley wasn't even the starter when he made his splash. He got made the starter for an early game because of injury or some guy in trouble. I think he said almost immediately in the game, Farley took a pick or a fumble to the house. He said he just kept doing that over and over all season and never lost his job because he so good at what he did.

Reactions: saluno22
Terrell Farley is always fun to watch in highlights. According to a lot of his teammates I have heard on the radio and talked to personally, he was not nearly as athletic as most would assume. Damon Benning actually called him slow and said every d-end on the team was faster than Farley. What Farley did have was that Rainman savant ability to just KNOW where to be in the blink of an eye and go there. That is why in the highlights, he always just seems to be right in the throwing lane or right where the play is going or right where the ball bounces on a fumble. It was as if he could read the play before it happened and go to that spot. I was talking personally to one of his teammates who said Farley wasn't even the starter when he made his splash. He got made the starter for an early game because of injury or some guy in trouble. I think he said almost immediately in the game, Farley took a pick or a fumble to the house. He said he just kept doing that over and over all season and never lost his job because he so good at what he did.
I heard he also wasn't much of a practice player, but when it was game time, look out!

I remember getting the Mel Kiper Blue Book when he came out of college, which had some of his test-out numbers. He was under 6’0 and ran like 4.65.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT