ADVERTISEMENT

4-11 notes Rhule PC

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven

Coach Matt Rhule Spring Ball Press Conference Notes:-Wear and tear of spring ball is setting in, suffering some soft tissue injuries-Injuries are manageable, nothing serious-OL depth is challenging the 1s-Grant Brix and Gibson Pyle have been impressive-Looking for separation at the QB position, only drives more competition-Trying to make all QB’s good enough to be the starter-“The highlights haven’t been the reason we haven’t been to a bowl game in 6 years, it’s the lowlights” - need to coach what not to do - this is what you have to teach to freshman QBs-Had protection errors at the RB position early on, but it’s improved-If you can defend Tony White’s defense, it’s a good sign-OL Tyler Knaak has done a great job so far-Justin Evans-Jenkins is starting at OG, but takes reps at center with the 2s-Lutovsky has been taking starting reps at guard as well-Grant Brix is playing OT right now - “he’s put on a lot of good weight since he’s been here”-Maintaining coaches that players have relationships with is crucial (talking about Tony White)-“Chief Borders is doing a fantastic job this camp”-MJ Sherman is taking leaps as well-“Tony will have his chance” - talking about HC jobs-When walk-ons see what John Bullock did last year, it’s inspiring for them-RB room will come together in the fall-“I dont know why [Rahmir Johnson] wasn’t the feature back in 2022”-"Emmett's evolving into a guy who can take games over"-Big fan of Kwinten Ives, big camp needed for him-When determining starters, Coach Rhule thinks in terms of development-Need to work on 2-minute drills during the spring scrimmage-“I don’t think it’s great when you have 25 year old people against 18 year old people” - when talking about COVID years and redshirts

GK1ieqYXkAAHR7y

Really looking forward to seeing the freshmen QBs in action and to likewise see improvements from Heinrich in the spring game. With as many issues as Nebraska has had in keeping QBs healthy the last few years, I'm excited to see all three guys and where they're at skill wise. Normally, I don't really care about the spring game but I'm actually looking forward to watching it this year.

"looking for separation at the QB position"

You serious Clark?
I’ve been firmly on the brake pedal on expectations for Raiola. I think anybody expecting the savior to rise on day one is asking to be disappointed. I expect him to start the first game but won’t be all that surprised if it’s Haarberg. There’s way more to being a P5 QB than throwing nice spirals and a strong arm. All I’ve heard this spring is how good Kaelin has looked and not really a peep about Haarberg. It will be interesting to see how they divide up reps in the spring scrimmage.

I’ve been firmly on the brake pedal on expectations for Raiola. I think anybody expecting the savior to rise on day one is asking to be disappointed. I expect him to start the first game but won’t be all that surprised if it’s Haarberg. There’s way more to being a P5 QB than throwing nice spirals and a strong arm. All I’ve heard this spring is how good Kaelin has looked and not really a peep about Haarberg. It will be interesting to see how they divide up reps in the spring scrimmage.
I got killed on here for a similar take. People don’t like to hear that DR may need time. Not many true freshman qb’s show up ready day 1

In my eyes if the plan is to start DR in the first 4-5 games then he should start game 1 to get used to college speed with UTEP as opposed to a B1G opponent.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I got killed on here for a similar take. People don’t like to hear that DR may need time. Not many true freshman qb’s show up ready day 1
The issue is less about the growing pains… its more about the alternative.

If Raiola isn’t better than what we fielded last year, our bowl-less streak will continue.

I get that he may not “be ready” completely, but I have a hard time believing he won’t be far enough along to lead the team from game 1.

The issue is less about the growing pains… its more about the alternative.

If Raiola isn’t better than what we fielded last year, our bowl-less streak will continue.

I get that he may not “be ready” completely, but I have a hard time believing he won’t be far enough along to lead the team from game 1.
I’m far from a Haarberg booster but there’s a good chance that his experience last year will make him better this year. It’s the same logic that I used in thinking Purdy could learn and improve from his mistakes.

"looking for separation at the QB position"

You serious Clark?
I’m not too worried about comments made in the Spring. These types of comments are also generic Coach speak.

The 2 Frosh could be putting on the Prom tuxedos any weekend now. They have summer to get used to their WRs and the offense. Then they have Fall Camp. I still expect to see Dylan start.

😂 anyone think Rhule was going to come into the press conference and just praise DR and put a dagger in the other QB’s right out of the gate? Come on. We all know both freshmen are better already than what we had last season. He wants competition competition competition. The longer he says there is no separation the harder they all continue to work.

Raiola has been a blue chip prospect since I knew there was a Dylan Raiola. He has a veteran Oline, RBs that have already shown an ability to produce, upgraded veteran WR talent via the portal and a very athletic TE. A well regarded QB coach has also been hired. I think things will work out.
On the separation thing, maybe Danny is balling out and HH is improving his passing game. Why slag on a couple of kids who are making the room better?

I’m not too worried about comments made in the Spring. These types of comments are also generic Coach speak.

The 2 Frosh could be putting on the Prom tuxedos any weekend now. They have summer to get used to their WRs and the offense. Then they have Fall Camp. I still expect to see Dylan start.
Dylan said he wasn't going to attend prom.
HH should only be given a play package that has 1 read and if that's not there take off and run.
If DR can't beat out HH we are In a world of hurt

I’m far from a Haarberg booster but there’s a good chance that his experience last year will make him better this year. It’s the same logic that I used in thinking Purdy could learn and improve from his mistakes.
I hear you, it’s just that he was pretty bad last year as a passer… I don’t see him improving so much that Raiola may not be the starter. Raiola will make his mistakes, but he will more than make up for them with his gems.

Just a few thoughts from an eternal optimist. I could be all wrong.

😂 anyone think Rhule was going to come into the press conference and just praise DR and put a dagger in the other QB’s right out of the gate? Come on. We all know both freshmen are better already than what we had last season. He wants competition competition competition. The longer he says there is no separation the harder they all continue to work.
All true and we cannot afford to have any of the three hit the portal.

Dylan said he wasn't going to attend prom.
HH should only be given a play package that has 1 read and if that's not there take off and run.
If DR can't beat out HH we are In a world of hurt
Huh???

I was referring to his age and that he COULD be in high school still. He’s been in college, what, a couple months? He has to get used to college life. ON and OFF the field. He’ll be fine by Fall.

Just listened to press conference - did he say Micah was running with the 2’s? Is this our Oline transfer from Baylor/Florida? I’m hoping this is a result of him getting used to culture and will work his way up quickly?

Just listened to press conference - did he say Micah was running with the 2’s? Is this our Oline transfer from Baylor/Florida? I’m hoping this is a result of him getting used to culture and will work his way up quickly?
Earlier analysis on him was that he had some things he needed to improve on. Talented guy but our returning guards are talented too. The returners have been in the system for a couple of years.

-OL depth is challenging the 1s

Music to my ears. If we don't have at least some turnover in a couple of spots in the OL, it won't matter how good DR is - or our running backs for that matter, it will be another year of the offense struggling to sustain drives and QBs getting beat up.

Exactly this. What do people expect Rhule to say?

"Yeah Dylan is the best QB we've had here since Eric Crouch. I have no idea why the other guys even bother to suit up."

Anyone watch DR play in H.S? I did. Yes it was on TV but I watched. Saw him play when it was raining, sideways....the way he held the ball and threw the ball and the accuracy, it was amazing, you would have had no idea it was a monsoon....and he was comitted to Georgia at the time...hadn't switched yet, so I wasn't watching with rose colored glasses. I'm gonna juat go ahead and expect him to kill it and look like a seasoned player very quickly...ya'll can take yer time if you wish. I'm all in :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT