ADVERTISEMENT

3-3-5 Defense; TCU

jozimmer

Walk On
Sep 3, 2005
Has anyone had 2nd thoughts on running a 3-3-5 defense after seeing TCU get destroyed? Does it come down to "Jimmys & Joes" in order to properly execute a 3-3-5? Bama can do it because they have teh 4 and 5 star athletes.

Has anyone had 2nd thoughts on running a 3-3-5 defense after seeing TCU get destroyed? Does it come down to "Jimmys & Joes" in order to properly execute a 3-3-5? Bama can do it because they have teh 4 and 5 star athletes.

I watched TCU beat Michigan and get to the title game, with a defense made up mostly of 0 star and 2 star players.

But in all honesty scheme and formation are very over rated. It’s all about talent, execution and adjustments.

The coach we hired is a 3-3-5 guy, but as he explained, that is just the framework. The number of the players at the LOS could be 3, 4, or 5. The question is whether the talent now being assembled can have success. Compared to what Chinander was doing, next year’s approach will be much more aggressive.

No defense was stopping Georgia on Monday night.

TCU's offense really exasperated the situation. They really missed Kendre Miller and had Duggan running for his life and his lack of elite arm strength also killed them. He was short on a lot of early passes.

Their defense was good enough to get them to the title game. Pretty damn good year any of us would welcome.

Look at our overall talent on D the past 5 years. Where are the aggressive LB's, lock down CB's and safeties who hit like a truck? Not even mentioning the front guys.

I disagree that Chins wasn't aggressive, truly watch what he tried year one and even last year and he tried but he was not good at it. Pressure was easily picked up and often late.

Bottom line for me is we need much better talent across the board.

No defense was stopping Georgia on Monday night.

TCU's offense really exasperated the situation. They really missed Kendre Miller and had Duggan running for his life and his lack of elite arm strength also killed them. He was short on a lot of early passes.

Their defense was good enough to get them to the title game. Pretty damn good year any of us would welcome.
I hope we lose 66-7 to Georgia next year in the national championship game.

This is quickly become what ESPN does with option teams.

Option Team wins a game: Oh my gosh they just could not prepare for that offense it is just too much for teams to prep for.

Option team loses a game: That offense is just far to slow these days to be good. Teams are too fast.

Just switch the terms to 3-3-5 and defense and its becoming the same argument.

I watched TCU beat Michigan and get to the title game, with a defense made up mostly of 0 star and 2 star players.

But in all honesty scheme and formation are very over rated. It’s all about talent, execution and adjustments.
The scheme was getting eaten alive too and TCU looked like a disorganized mess. Every weakness they had was getting exploited. Not a fan of the 3-3-5 especially what I saw in that game.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
The scheme was getting eaten alive too and TCU looked like a disorganized mess. Every weakness they had was getting exploited. Not a fan of the 3-3-5 especially what I saw in that game.
TCU was out athleted at every level. Didn't matter the scheme that night, they were getting blown out. Their OL was pushing TCU back a minimum of 3 to 4 yards and their DL lived in TCU's backfield. TCU obviously was not ready to play, but the talent gap was massive on the interior.

TCU was out athleted at every level. Didn't matter the scheme that night, they were getting blown out. Their OL was pushing TCU back a minimum of 3 to 4 yards and their DL lived in TCU's backfield. TCU obviously was not ready to play, but the talent gap was massive on the interior.
Add to it that Kirby had the KSU and Michigan game video to break down. It wasn’t a fair fight.

The 3-3-5 can go to 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, or 5-5 depending on the personnel you want to use and who you are playing. TCU did well against the run (for what little I watched) but struggled against the pass on 3rd down giving up all the yardage... Like watching a SF and Chins team.

Part of that was the scheme, TCU didn't have enough guys on one side of the line or the other, and Georgia did an excellent job of exploiting it. TCU's secondary didn't show up at all. Couldn't believe how bad they were.

The 3-3-5 can go to 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, or 5-5 depending on the personnel you want to use and who you are playing. TCU did well against the run (for what little I watched) but struggled against the pass on 3rd down giving up all the yardage... Like watching a SF and Chins team.
I don't get the comparisons that are often presented. Sure, a traditional 5 man front can become a 3 man front, 2 LB's and the rest safeties. There are as many ways to change looks as you can get mathematically with 11 players on the field. It is ALWAYS dependent on who is on the field, no matter what you want to call it and it is more dependent on what the other team is doing or not doing at any given point in a game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Back in the Day WVU ran it with 2 and 3 star recruits and during the Rich Rod era had a great defense. NC St runs a 3-3-5 and had a pretty good defense. I like the 3-3-5 , it allows for a lot of looks and blitz/pass packages. TCU just fell into a buzzsaw Monday.

That is what happens when one school is developing 4-5* talent and the other 3* talent
Same thing in the KSU-Alabama game

Yea jimmies and joes still matter
Yes, understatement of the year. When you watch the top tier teams (I didn't say Georgia) you can see a marked difference in the athletic ability of the players. It just isn't even disputable, it is obvious.

The coach we hired is a 3-3-5 guy, but as he explained, that is just the framework. The number of the players at the LOS could be 3, 4, or 5. The question is whether the talent now being assembled can have success. Compared to what Chinander was doing, next year’s approach will be much more aggressive.
Honestly I think it has to be better simply due to the fact that it couldn't get much worse.

Reactions: king_kong_
Available linemen for the fall.
Jeudy - 6-3/300, yr. 3 guy in 2023, 5.8 4*, little experience.
Robinson - will enter his third year of significant play. Will he finally break through?
Hutmacher - will enter his second year of playing in the rotation. Will be playing the position he was recruited for.
Wynn - will enter his second year of playing in the rotation. Played at Bama when the games were in hand.
Buckley - coming into his third year, hasn't played much. Is he going to be ready to play.
Would think the Gunnerson kid can play on the line in certain situations.

Available linemen for the fall.
Jeudy - 6-3/300, yr. 3 guy in 2023, 5.8 4*, little experience.
Robinson - will enter his third year of significant play. Will he finally break through?
Hutmacher - will enter his second year of playing in the rotation. Will be playing the position he was recruited for.
Wynn - will enter his second year of playing in the rotation. Played at Bama when the games were in hand.
Buckley - coming into his third year, hasn't played much. Is he going to be ready to play.
Would think the Gunnerson kid can play on the line in certain situations.
Wynn I thought was playing fairly well at the end of the year. It will be interesting to see what This new S&C staff can do with these guys in 8 months.

Sometimes I think Georgia's DL is as fast as our LB's. They are brutal.
I’m a Nash Hutmacher fan but you realize he’s not as fast as some NTs are when you see him chase a QB. Good run stopper and a great effort high character guy. I think (hope) Rhule is going to build some athletic DTs out of some of the edge guys we’ve taken.

I ran the 3-5-3 defense way back in the early 2000's the way Charlie Strong ran it at South Carolina. HE got a lot of his stuff from Joe Lee Dunn at Miss st. But the concepts those days were really a 3-5 3 your OLB were like safeties but near the LOS. It was very good against option and the spread at the time. With the evolution of the RPO the 3-5-3 morphed into the 3-3-5 because the rules and the passing games are so much more advanced. in a 3-5-3 your DL could be a little less than because you could have 7-8 in the box but with the passing games now you need the two safeties and that means your DL need to be big and a lot better than back in the day. I do like the 3 safty look that Baylor and Iowa St show but your safties all better be able to reduce down and play on the LOS. Your NT needs to be at least a boarderline NFL guy for this to really work. HE must be a stud

Last edited:
I ran the 3-5-3 defense way back in the early 2000's the way Charlie Strong ran it at South Carolina. HE got a lot of his stuff from Joe Lee Dunn at Miss st. But the concepts those days were really a 3-5 3 your OLB were like safeties but near the LOS. It was very good against option and the spread at the time. With the evolution of the RPO the 3-5-3 morphed into the 3-3-5 because the rules and the passing games are so much more advanced. in a 3-5-3 your DL could be a little less than because you could have 7-8 in the box but with the passing games now you need the two safeties and that means your DL need to be big and a lot better than back in the day. I do like the 3 safty look that Baylor and Iowa St show but your safties all better be able to reduce down and play on the LOS. Your NT needs to be at least a boarderline NFL guy for this to really work. HE must be a stud
As I posted earlier, I love me some Nash Hutmacher but the next guy at NT probably needs a little quicker feet. Great max effort kid but lacking a little foot speed. Hopefully S&C working on flexibility and agility a little more can help him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT