ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Half Game Thread!

Could have won this one. I think we have a good season, but we need Tre to be healthy.

Reactions: jeans15
Didn't get to watch much of the 2nd half because of work so it figures the defense played well and I didn't get to watch. Disappointing that Nebraska didn't show up on both sides of the ball for the majority of the game but rather just in spurts. Aren't going to beat quality teams when the defense only plays half a game and the offense commits 4 turnovers and sputters when given opportunities to close the gap. Seriously, give up almost 600 yards of offense and get less than 400 yourself, it's shocking the final score was as close as it was.

I just wish it didn't take giving up huge 1st halves defensively in order for the defense to wake up and play. 2 straight weeks with awful first half performance and then playing significantly better in the 2nd half.

Did you watch the game? Seriously? Start with looking at penalty numbers.
Watched the entire game, penalty numbers seem pretty accurate, there were at least two times when an Oregon blatantly false started that no flag was thrown, so they could have had a few more. Not to mention them totally bungling Tyjon Lindsey's (should have been) first down catch in the first half with the score 28-14 AND then creating a phantom false start to negate the 4th down play. Since you seem to think there was some sort of unfair discrepancy in the penalty calling, why don't you say where it was?

They had 12 penalties for 103 yards. Just off the top of my head: DPI in the end zone, blatantly obvious; Unsportsmanlike Conduct for Oregon player kicking Nebraska player, blatantly obvious; holding penalty when Oregon lineman literally tackled Nebraska player right in front of QB and ref, blatantly obvious; Unsportsmanlike Conduct on Oregon's coach when he flipped out on the refs for not being fooled by Oregon QB poor acting job, didn't actually see that, but I'm guessing it was pretty obvious; illegal substitution penalty, usually pretty cut and dried. That's five of the twelve off the top of my head, without even looking back at the penalties; didn't see anything wrong with them.

The other seven were: false start, pretty obvious and could have been called for a few more; facemask on Tre Bryant, pretty obvious, nothing wrong there; another false start again pretty obvious, and there were a few missed; offside on kickoff, pretty cut and dried; another false start, pretty cut and dried and again, could have been called for a few others; kick catch interference, again pretty obvious and pretty cut and dried; and another holding penalty on run play, again pretty obvious, lineman "held" the edge by literally holding and tackling defender.

To be fair, one bounced off a facemask, the last when his protection broke down and the defender hit his arm. But the others, most certainly.
The first one should have been caught, plain and simple, not on Lee at all. Second one, either Lee threw it to the wrong spot or Stanley Morgan turned the wrong direction, not sure whose fault there. Third one wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. They showed the replay from behind Tanner Lee, and you can see from that view, while the guy he threw it to was covered, he appeared to have a step that the ball could be fit into. The Oregon defender simply made an excellent cut across the receiver and intercepted the ball. Not a great throw to make, no; but it's not like he threw it to someone who was draped in coverage with no chance to catch it. Final one, hit as he threw, not his fault.

I already made this comment once, but I'll make it again. On at least some of his passes that missed the mark; you need to go back and watch the play again before just saying he flat out missed. One comes to mind was when Tyler Hoppes was open, and Lee's throw was a little high, and it went incomplete. First of all, while the throw was slightly high, he was still able to get his hands on it and should have been able to catch it. Second, watch the replay they showed on TV. You can clearly see as the ball travels through the air, an Oregon defender jump and JUST miss tipping the ball, his fingertips are within inches of the ball. He threw the ball high to get it over the defender, yet still managed to make it catchable, albeit a little high. That was a good throw, not a bad one.

Later, either the same drive or the next one, can't remember for sure; there was a third down pass to Conner Ketter I believe, where Lee appeared to just miss him a little wide, like he threw the ball a little too far ahead. First of all, again the pass was within range that it could have been caught, requiring a possible dive or just reaching, but still catchable. Second of all, again; you have to go back and watch the replay. On the replay, with a shot from behind Lee again, you can see why his throw was a little wide. Basically smack dab in the middle of his throwing lane, the lane to get a perfect strike to Ketter, stood a ref. If Lee would have thrown the perfect pass, straight to Ketter, it would have almost certainly hit the ref and either fell harmlessly to the turf, or taken some crazy bounce and gotten intercepted.

I'm not certain about all of his incomplete passes, but he certainly had a few drops; and some of his "off target" throws only appeared that way because something between him and his target was missed.

ADVERTISEMENT