ADVERTISEMENT

2017 defense

I mean, just to chime in real fast, because I like discussing this crap with Beav and Tuco, I too do not understand why the Oregon game is rated as a "probably lose" and the Northwestern one a toss-up. Oregon is breaking in a completely new head coach and such, and we get them week 2. Northwestern? Yeah, they play us hard, always, but we get them in Lincoln and...what exactly have they been doing differently in recruiting to where people think they're going to be so good?

They always recruit middle of the pack because that's all that they can attract to their program, but they are very well coached (I have always liked Coach Fitz). I see those as much more favorable to Nebraska than most "experts" have said so far.

I think part of the issue here is that many experts are really, really sick of picking Nebraska in situations where it looks like we'll be even remotely challenged. Over the last 10+ years we've found a million ways to get in our own way or get outclassed by inferior teams, never really consistently turning the proverbial corner. Nobody likes being wrong, and picking us in contentious games tends to make "experts" look stupid, until we start proving otherwise.

I mean, just to chime in real fast, because I like discussing this crap with Beav and Tuco, I too do not understand why the Oregon game is rated as a "probably lose" and the Northwestern one a toss-up. Oregon is breaking in a completely new head coach and such, and we get them week 2. Northwestern? Yeah, they play us hard, always, but we get them in Lincoln and...what exactly have they been doing differently in recruiting to where people think they're going to be so good?

They always recruit middle of the pack because that's all that they can attract to their program, but they are very well coached (I have always liked Coach Fitz). I see those as much more favorable to Nebraska than most "experts" have said so far.

I think part of the issue here is that many experts are really, really sick of picking Nebraska in situations where it looks like we'll be even remotely challenged. Over the last 10+ years we've found a million ways to get in our own way or get outclassed by inferior teams, never really consistently turning the proverbial corner. Nobody likes being wrong, and picking us in contentious games tends to make "experts" look stupid, until we start proving otherwise.
No reason they can't beat Oregon, but it's still no joke to play in Eugene.

I agree on Northwestern. That's a game NU should expect to win. But then...I'd have said that of Purdue a couple years ago...

Nebraska allowed 5.5 yards per play last season. The only Big Ten teams worse in that category were Purdue, Rutgers, and Maryland.

If he significantly improves that number, everything else will improve across the board.

I also wouldn't use his past history as much of a template. I've heard Diaco plans to be far more multiple on defense than he's ever been before. Nebraska has a lot of players who have been in the program long enough to comprehend a bevvy of schematic looks, coverages, and packages.

They also have two safeties with nearly 50 combined starts. Those two are basically coaches on D and have the ability to dictate alignment and calls.

Nebraska allowed 5.5 yards per play last season. The only Big Ten teams worse in that category were Purdue, Rutgers, and Maryland.

If he significantly improves that number, everything else will improve across the board.

I also wouldn't use his past history as much of a template. I've heard Diaco plans to be far more multiple on defense than he's ever been before. Nebraska has a lot of players who have been in the program long enough to comprehend a bevvy of schematic looks, coverages, and packages.

They also have two safeties with nearly 50 combined starts. Those two are basically coaches on D and have the ability to dictate alignment and calls.

Yeah man. I have a friend that argues that the year we had such an amazing defense was because, basically, Ndomukong Suh was our defensive coach, not Carl "NoseCandy" Pelini.

Reactions: dockentwo
No reason they can't beat Oregon, but it's still no joke to play in Eugene.

I agree on Northwestern. That's a game NU should expect to win. But then...I'd have said that of Purdue a couple years ago...

And here is where the rubber meets the road.

I think DudznSudz explanation fits the fan base more than the reporters. You bring up individual games that are for the most part outliers as a reason for your cautious approach. I get it, we've all been burned. But we allow Purdue or Illinois in 2015 to count for more than playing Wisconsin within a Fg in 2015 or outplaying 12-0 Iowa in 2015 but losing because of unforced turnovers.

I understand the "wait and see" because you've been burned before, I just don't subscribe to that way of thinking. That's just me.

I think DudznSudz explanation fits the fan base more than the reporters. You bring up individual games that are for the most part outliers as a reason for your cautious approach. I get it, we've all been burned. But we allow Purdue or Illinois in 2015 to count for more than playing Wisconsin within a Fg in 2015 or outplaying 12-0 Iowa in 2015 but losing because of unforced turnovers.

I understand the "wait and see" because you've been burned before, I just don't subscribe to that way of thinking. That's just me.

That's because you're not very sentimental, you actually rely on statistical evidence rather than "Duhhhhh." Most sportswriters are lazy ex-jocks who can't be bothered to do much in the way of hard thinking. Now, the few that do and that use hard data definitely say somewhat more interesting things, I'm just saying, the pre-season pick of wins and losses is often just based on a lazy persons' "perception" of the team, the schedule, and the inertia of the program.

I'm not super into the moral victories of "being right there" and "outplaying" a team but losing the game. I get where you're coming from, but I tend to put those in with comments like, "If you take away the runs we gave up of 63, 80, and 56 yards, we held them to 3.7 ypc and that's really good."

Right, well, but you can't take those things away because they happened. It's the same reason the 1995 is the GOAT...because luck had nothing to do with it. They slapped down everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But I hear you in the sense that NU is closer to being a good team than a bad team. There's reason to feel they're trending in the right direction.

Maybe. YPP is such a weird stat.

Nebraska was ranked 53rd in the country at 5.53 YPP but was close to #11 San Diego St 4.77 than San Diego St was to #1 Alabama 3.99.

Is improvement to 5.2 significant? That's the difference between 53rd and 30th. That's the equivalent of 20 yards per game, assuming the same number of plays.

Reactions: TheBeav815

Nebraska was ranked 53rd in the country at 5.53 YPP but was close to #11 San Diego St 4.77 than San Diego St was to #1 Alabama 3.99.

Is improvement to 5.2 significant? That's the difference between 53rd and 30th. That's the equivalent of 20 yards per game, assuming the same number of plays.
Call me a simpleton, but I'm big into PPG.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Considering NU only gave up roughly 3.9 ypp in their 9 wins, the answer is yes.

I'm not super into the moral victories of "being right there" and "outplaying" a team but losing the game. I get where you're coming from, but I tend to put those in with comments like, "If you take away the runs we gave up of 63, 80, and 56 yards, we held them to 3.7 ypc and that's really good."

Right, well, but you can't take those things away because they happened. It's the same reason the 1995 is the GOAT...because luck had nothing to do with it. They slapped down everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But I hear you in the sense that NU is closer to being a good team than a bad team. There's reason to feel they're trending in the right direction.

I'm not asking you to accept moral victories but if all things are measured against 1995 Nebraska then we will never be satisfied.

Yes taking away plays doesn't change anything. But if a team runs the ball 10 times for 2 yards on 1st and 10 and 2 times for 10 and 15 yards on 3rd and 20, The stats will say 12 rushes for 45 or 3.75 YPC. Statistically speaking they could have been awarded 4 first downs, but the result could also be they earned zero first downs.

I'm not asking you to accept moral victories but if all things are measured against 1995 Nebraska then we will never be satisfied.

Yes taking away plays doesn't change anything. But if a team runs the ball 10 times for 2 yards on 1st and 10 and 2 times for 10 and 15 yards on 3rd and 20, The stats will say 12 rushes for 45 or 3.75 YPC. Statistically speaking they could have been awarded 4 first downs, but the result could also be they earned zero first downs.
...but did they win?

200.gif

Just for clarity, I am not saying Northwestern won't be good or better, I am just trying to understand the process of determining how much one aspect outweighs the other.

For whatever reason Willie Taggert, and his 40-45 overall record in 7 seasons, is the difference in Oregon being 4-8 last year and 9-3 this. For some reason Oregon players won't have an issue with the learning curve going from a "finesse" blocking spread team to a power blocking spread team. And them switching back to a 3-4 from the 4-3 will be seamless because had a great couple of years at Colorado after coaching LBs for Harbaugh at San Francisco.

Just looking for the magic pill to understand
Ditto. I am also not saying NW won't be good. Heck, they might just beat us. But I, like you, am trying to get my head around what the metric is for measuring these things. It can't just be based on number of returning starters.

Just for clarity, I am not saying Northwestern won't be good or better, I am just trying to understand the process of determining how much one aspect outweighs the other.

For whatever reason Willie Taggert, and his 40-45 overall record in 7 seasons, is the difference in Oregon being 4-8 last year and 9-3 this. For some reason Oregon players won't have an issue with the learning curve going from a "finesse" blocking spread team to a power blocking spread team. And them switching back to a 3-4 from the 4-3 will be seamless because had a great couple of years at Colorado after coaching LBs for Harbaugh at San Francisco.

Just looking for the magic pill to understand

there have been plenty of people that, at present, have implied that NW = Minnesota = Iowa = Nebraska - and that expecting to beat these teams may not be realistic - maybe one will have a slightly better defense, one will be slightly better on offense - but in the grand scheme they all are middling power 5 programs

likewise when it has been suggested that we should beat a 4-8 Oregon team who is replacing their coaching staff many have pumped the breaks quite vigorously citing these new coaches will turn this program around instantly - too much to expect to beat Oregon

Last edited:
there have been plenty of people that, at present, have implied that NW = Minnesota = Iowa = Nebraska - and that expecting to beat these teams may not be realistic - maybe one will have a slightly better defense, one will be slightly better on offense - but in the grand scheme they all are middling power 5 programs

likewise when it has been suggested that we should beat a 4-8 Oregon team who is replacing their coaching staff many have pumped the breaks quite vigorously citing these new coaches will turn this program around instantly - too much to expect to beat Oregon

Not questioning the "doing it". Questioning the "why". I will tell you why I believe something just ask.

I like to call that the "Playstation model of returning players." It assumes that each guy gets a +4 or +5 to his overall rating in the offseason just by virtue of being a year older. But that's not always how it works in the real world. Sometimes a guy isn't a very good player as a freshman and he isn't a very good player as a senior.

Guys who have shown no gift for getting to the QB might have the light bulb come on this year and record 10 sacs. Or they might stay who they are and record 1.5.
Who led our team in sacks last year and whats his outlook this year?

Who led our team in sacks last year and whats his outlook this year?

The returning sack leader is Akinmoladun. He'll be asked to cover 2 gap assignments in the 3-4. If he just does his job, I wouldn't expect him to lead in sacks this year. If he has a breakout year, I could see him being a sack producer.

The biggest factor is change/improvement in players. Osborne retired in 97 for a reason, he knew 98' personnel wouldn't be the same.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Osborne retired after the 1997 season because he had promised Frank Solich that 1997 would be his last year and he would recommend/appoint him as his successor. In his retirement press conference he talked about his health and the "need to walk away while you still could", but his medical condition was atrial fibrillation and it was under very good control. He had a history of successful cardiac bypass surgery and as a result he dramatically changed his diet and when he retired in 1997 at the age of 60, he was in excellent health for a man of his age.
For your assertion that the 1998 personnel wouldn't be the same, let me say that the 1998 roster was full of outstanding football players and formed the basis for a 33-5 record for the years 1999-2001. The primary reason we lost 4 games in 1998 was the offensive line was absolutely devastated by injuries and quite frankly, I believe this was Solich's best job of coaching.

Just a sample of the 1998 Nebraska roster:

QB: Bobby Newcombe, Eric Crouch
RB: Dan Alexander, Dahrran Diedrick, Cornell Buckhalter, DeAngelo Evans
FB: Joel Makovicka, Willie Miller, Billy Legate
TE: Sheldon Jackson, Tracy Wistrom, Aaron Golliday, Jon Bowling, T.J. DeBates
SE: Matt Davison, Kenny Cheatham, Wilson Thomas
WB: Shevin Wiggins, Lance Brown, Frankie London, John Gibson, Sean Applegate
OL: Russ Hochstein, Josh Heskew, James Sherman, Jon Rutherford, Adam Julch, Dave Volk, Jason Schwann, Steve Alstadt, Dominic Raiola
K: Kris Brown

DT: Steve Warren, Loran Kaiser, Jason Wiltz, Jason Lohr, Jeremy Slechta, Jon Clanton
DE: Mike Rucker, Chad & Chris Kelsay, Aaron Wills, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Demoine Adams
LB: Carlos Polk, Eric Johnson, Tony Ortiz, Jay Foreman, Scott Shanle, Brian Shaw, Jamie Burrow, Julius Jackson, Randy Stella
DB: Mike Brown, Ralph Brown, Erwin Swinney, Joe Walker, Dion Booker, Clint Finley, Keyou Craver
P: Dan Hadenfeldt

I remember when Nebraska switched from the 5-2 to the 4-3 with the premise that we would attack and blitz more than before. I think we saw the results that would validate that premise.

In candor, I don't know enough about schemes to say whether one is more conducive to attacking or if it's just a coaches mindset to blitz more.

What is the ultimate advantage of a 3-4? And if it is so prominent, why wouldn't every team run it?

I remember when Nebraska switched from the 5-2 to the 4-3 with the premise that we would attack and blitz more than before. I think we saw the results that would validate that premise.

In candor, I don't know enough about schemes to say whether one is more conducive to attacking or if it's just a coaches mindset to blitz more.

What is the ultimate advantage of a 3-4? And if it is so prominent, why wouldn't every team run it?
There is no perfect system, however if a system is coached and played well it can work.
The benefits os a 3-4 is that it allows athletic LBs to make plays on the ball carrier. It also allows a defense to bring heat from a variety of places and keep an OLine guessing and off balance, while funneling plays to certain areas or defenders.
I dont like it any more or less than a 4-3, depending on how the 4-3 is run. What matters is how it is coached and schemed. It can and does work very well.

Guessing it might be a little like going against the option was for teams that are not used to playing against it... the 3-4 defense will have an advantage since not that many teams play it.

Who knows if it will be better, but I just want better results

Every defensive player on the field hated Banker? This is the first time I have heard that. I suspected there was not a whole lot of love there since nobody on defense seemed even the slightest bit upset when he was fired.
I figured Banker was like some supervisors I've had - nice enough guy, experienced, very smart, just not someone people run through walls for. Between much more energy and focus, apparent insistence on accountability, and the cohesiveness of the team as mentioned by Gates and others, I think the defense will be better, maybe 25-30 in total and 15-20 in scoring. I think the offense will be much better, keep our defense off the field longer, and thereby help the D stats. I suppose I am a KoolAId drinker, but I haven't been this excited about a season since Pelini's first year.

Osborne retired after the 1997 season because he had promised Frank Solich that 1997 would be his last year and he would recommend/appoint him as his successor. In his retirement press conference he talked about his health and the "need to walk away while you still could", but his medical condition was atrial fibrillation and it was under very good control. He had a history of successful cardiac bypass surgery and as a result he dramatically changed his diet and when he retired in 1997 at the age of 60, he was in excellent health for a man of his age.
For your assertion that the 1998 personnel wouldn't be the same, let me say that the 1998 roster was full of outstanding football players and formed the basis for a 33-5 record for the years 1999-2001. The primary reason we lost 4 games in 1998 was the offensive line was absolutely devastated by injuries and quite frankly, I believe this was Solich's best job of coaching.

OL: Russ Hochstein, Josh Heskew, James Sherman, Jon Rutherford, Adam Julch, Dave Volk, Jason Schwann, Steve Alstadt, Dominic Raiola

DT: Steve Warren, Loran Kaiser, Jason Wiltz, Jason Lohr, Jeremy Slechta, Jon Clanton
DE: Mike Rucker, Chad & Chris Kelsay, Aaron Wills, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Demoine Adams
LB: Carlos Polk, Eric Johnson, Tony Ortiz, Jay Foreman, Scott Shanle, Brian Shaw, Jamie Burrow, Julius Jackson, Randy Stella
DB: Mike Brown, Ralph Brown, Erwin Swinney, Joe Walker, Dion Booker, Clint Finley, Keyou Craver
Great post!

I figured Banker was like some supervisors I've had - nice enough guy, experienced, very smart, just not someone people run through walls for. Between much more energy and focus, apparent insistence on accountability, and the cohesiveness of the team as mentioned by Gates and others, I think the defense will be better, maybe 25-30 in total and 15-20 in scoring. I think the offense will be much better, keep our defense off the field longer, and thereby help the D stats. I suppose I am a KoolAId drinker, but I haven't been this excited about a season since Pelini's first year.
Hurrah for you, good thoughts!

I figured Banker was like some supervisors I've had - nice enough guy, experienced, very smart, just not someone people run through walls for.

Yep. I agree.

And... where is he now?

Did he just decide to hang up his whistle after getting fired or is he still willing to coach, but no one wants him?

Diaco's energy and passion seems to have lit a fire within the defense. The assistants on the D seems to have some flare, so hopefully the D keeps the fire with Diaco up in the booth on gameday.

"Forgive a Bears fan for waiting to get excited based on the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 until we have the horses for it. Nobody doubts Vic Fangio can coach defense, but I think you all saw the Bears"... (This guy gets it)

"there have been plenty of people that, at present, have implied that NW = Minnesota = Iowa = Nebraska" (MN is getting a lot of pub but they are not a good football team most pundits are picking them to go less than .500 and rah rah stuff can turn hard and fast in a meat grinder)

"outplaying 12-0 Iowa in 2015 but losing because of unforced turnovers." (I know you will probably never admit it but that game is exactly how KF wins football games, we had you in sleeper hold the whole game, and if a freshman DE batting a ball up to himself for a p-6 is unforced I don't know what you will call "forced". As a follow up the son seems to have more moxie than the Dad and we think the Iowa O will have a little more gusto)

"the 3-4 defense will have an advantage since not that many teams play it." Agreed, except wiscy is going to be ultra prepared for you with this and I have already said in another post as an Iowa fan I am giddy for the idea of our big guys getting to lean on your line on a cold November day. Your going to eliminate the big play but Iowa doesn't use the big play we want to make games go into a "phone booth"

Just my outsider two cents Im not here to "flame" or start a fight I truly do hope you guys are undefeated going into black Friday and we meet for the west. Good luck this year and whatever you do, Beat Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Forgive a Bears fan for waiting to get excited based on the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 until we have the horses for it. Nobody doubts Vic Fangio can coach defense, but I think you all saw the Bears... (This guy gets it)

there have been plenty of people that, at present, have implied that NW = Minnesota = Iowa = Nebraska (MN is getting a lot of pub but they are not a good football team most pundits are picking them to go less than .500 and rah rah stuff can turn hard and fast in a meat grinder)

"outplaying 12-0 Iowa in 2015 but losing because of unforced turnovers." (I know you will probably never admit it but that game is exactly how KF wins football games, we had you in sleeper hold the whole game, and if a freshman DE batting a ball up to himself for a p-6 is unforced I don't know what you will call "forced". As a follow up the son seems to have more moxie than the Dad and we think the Iowa O will have a little more gusto)

"the 3-4 defense will have an advantage since not that many teams play it." Agreed, except wiscy is going to be ultra prepared for you with this and I have already said in another post as an Iowa fan I am giddy for the idea of our big guys getting to lean on your line on a cold November day. Your going to eliminate the big play but Iowa doesn't use the big play we want to make games go into a "phone booth"

Just my outsider two cents Im not here to "flame" or start a fight I truly do hope you guys are undefeated going into black Friday and we meet for the west. Good luck this year and whatever you do, Beat Wisconsin.
The pic 6 was an unforced turnover and a gift because TA was lousy at throwing screen passes and other "touch passes", and this was no exception. A better QB would not have thrown the ball directly at your DE, which is what Tommy did. It was a horrible call to have Tommy attempt that pass near our own goal line. Sure, your DE made a nice play. But any halfway competent DE could have picked that pass off. Betty White could have done it

The poster doesn't know how to utilize the forum, maybe he is what his username says he isn't. But there were a bunch of posts all mixed together.

If you want to address me, I'm cool with it, but I am not going to decipher that mess to discuss it.

Forgive a Bears fan for waiting to get excited based on the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 until we have the horses for it. Nobody doubts Vic Fangio can coach defense, but I think you all saw the Bears... (This guy gets it)

there have been plenty of people that, at present, have implied that NW = Minnesota = Iowa = Nebraska (MN is getting a lot of pub but they are not a good football team most pundits are picking them to go less than .500 and rah rah stuff can turn hard and fast in a meat grinder)

You won't post how. .... our D coordinator got fired. That lean on em O, how many ppg did it score in the B1G outside the N game - now thats sobering. And you guys were boycotting to get rid of your coach, till the turn around season - and I like your coach

The pic 6 was an unforced turnover and a gift because TA was lousy at throwing screen passes and other "touch passes", and this was no exception. A better QB would not have thrown the ball directly at your DE, which is what Tommy did. It was a horrible call to have Tommy attempt that pass near our own goal line. Sure, your DE made a nice play. But any halfway competent DE could have picked that pass off. Betty White could have done it
And the left tackle whiffed on his block or it was poor effort by that LT on the chop block.

I wasn't addressing any one poster just things that different people said. I added quotations, maybe that will help. Yes, I know you fired your D-Cord, and I think Diaco will be an upgrade once he gets his type of players as referenced by first quotation. Yes, there was a "Ferentz Fatigue" which was compounded by a VERY bland O-Cord. He has since been removed and a lot of youth has been brought into the coaching staff. Some, including myself, think CJ Beathard saved KF's Job in spite of Greg Davis. Yes, offense has been stale but again it seems some "fire" has been brought in. We return the "nations best" offensive line but by our standards they have room for improvement and that is exciting coupled with a 1000 yard rusher and a grad transfer that has averaged 1300 yards his career. We are also excited about what we are hearing about our passing game which, lets face it, was horrible.

tldr: Iowa fans are excited for the season also.

I didn't mean to come over and talk about Iowa I lived in Lincoln for 12 years and love this game so I pay special attention to it, I just wanted to offer a perspective that was from the outside. Again, Best of luck and BEAT Wiscy.

I thought Solich was a really bad OC in 1998.

I wasn't addressing any one poster just things that different people said. I added quotations, maybe that will help. Yes, I know you fired your D-Cord, and I think Diaco will be an upgrade once he gets his type of players as referenced by first quotation. Yes, there was a "Ferentz Fatigue" which was compounded by a VERY bland O-Cord. He has since been removed and a lot of youth has been brought into the coaching staff. Some, including myself, think CJ Beathard saved KF's Job in spite of Greg Davis. Yes, offense has been stale but again it seems some "fire" has been brought in. We return the "nations best" offensive line but by our standards they have room for improvement and that is exciting coupled with a 1000 yard rusher and a grad transfer that has averaged 1300 yards his career. We are also excited about what we are hearing about our passing game which, lets face it, was horrible.

tldr: Iowa fans are excited for the season also.

I didn't mean to come over and talk about Iowa I lived in Lincoln for 12 years and love this game so I pay special attention to it, I just wanted to offer a perspective that was from the outside. Again, Best of luck and BEAT Wiscy.
Thanks very much.

Exactly. Not to mention that we beat them last year at their place and would have won going away had we not fumbled twice at the one inch line. We have outrecruited them over several years and we get them in Lincoln this year as well. And yet, half of the "experts" out there rate this game as a toss up. What a joke.

Unfortunately and sad is that they aren't calling it a toss up game because Northwestern is that good. This is a year this staff needs to pull it together. I'm tired of the national media having so little expectations of us.

ADVERTISEMENT