ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Schedule

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
I was looking into actually purchasing season tickets, and when looking at the schedule we should be 7-0 at home. Could have a special season if we knock Ohio State off on the road. Lot's of if's, but pretty tame schedule again.

Fresno State Lincoln - W
Wyoming Lincoln - W
Oregon Lincoln - Toss-Up
Northwestern Evanston - Toss-Up
Illinois Lincoln - Win
Indiana Bloomington - Win
Purdue Lincoln - Win
Wisconsin Madison - Toss-up
Ohio State Columbus - Loss
Minnesota Lincoln - Win
Maryland Lincoln - Win
Iowa Iowa City - Toss-Up

Most of the toss up games are highly winnable.

I was looking into actually purchasing season tickets, and when looking at the schedule we should be 7-0 at home. Could have a special season if we knock Ohio State off on the road. Lot's of if's, but pretty tame schedule again.

Fresno State Lincoln - W
Wyoming Lincoln - W
Oregon Lincoln - Toss-Up
Northwestern Evanston - Toss-Up
Illinois Lincoln - Win
Indiana Bloomington - Win
Purdue Lincoln - Win
Wisconsin Madison - Toss-up
Ohio State Columbus - Loss
Minnesota Lincoln - Win
Maryland Lincoln - Win
Iowa Iowa City - Toss-Up

Most of the toss up games are highly winnable.

Northwestern is terrible at home. I would rather play them there than in Lincoln. I chalk that one as a W.

Also, Iowa will have expectations this year. We all know what happens to Iowa when they have pre-season hype.

With Tommy at QB, Nebraska can literally win every game and lose every game...... Minus games vs. Fresno or Wyoming. Its difficult to predict a 7-0 home record knowing that reality.

With Tommy at QB, Nebraska can literally win every game and lose every game...... Minus games vs. Fresno or Wyoming. Its difficult to predict a 7-0 home record knowing that reality.

Yeah, I am hopeful that we will not see Mr. Spin and Chuck, aka Uncle Rico, next season. The coaches sound like they're trying to do their part to put Tommy in situations that maximize his strengths, and it sounds like Tommy has taken to their tutelage. (Why it took until the bowl game, I will never know...)

Reactions: schuele
I agree Tommy is good enough to be the best QB im the Big 10 but can make enough stupid mistakes to compete for the worst. If he plays smarts and we take advantage of his strengths we could have a great season because on offense we have the skill players all over the place to be the top Offense in the Big 10. Hopefully the defense keeps improving next year and if things line up right we could expect big things.

Yeah, I am hopeful that we will not see Mr. Spin and Chuck, aka Uncle Rico, next season. The coaches sound like they're trying to do their part to put Tommy in situations that maximize his strengths, and it sounds like Tommy has taken to their tutelage. (Why it took until the bowl game, I will never know...)

The odd thing about Tommy is he throws the ball to the other team in bizarre fashion, and often without logic. Some QB's just can't make all the throws and they can't overcome good coverage. Some QB's have poor to average receivers who can't get open. Some QB's encounter relentless pressure and are doomed from the snap. Those problems don't really afflict Armstrong.
Tommy is the only QB I've ever seen who can throw a pick to a linebacker sitting in a zone, 13 yards from the nearest receiver. His WTF throws prove problematic more than a noodle armed QB throwing a pick under diress. Because Tommy often throws picks to defenders with nobody near them and a path to the end zone.

Ditto what Cornicator said about Tommy. Hopefully there are other options this fall and Riley won't be afraid to use them. Our lines really concern me on both offense and defense. There may be some talent there but it better develop quickly. I do think mentally we will be light years ahead of where we were last fall. Hopefully the cancer that plagued last year's team has been cleansed.

I am optimistic they can pull off a great year. That said, we could see 8-4. It's definitely been interesting to root for the Huskers since the Osborne years. Hoping to see less Jeckyll and Hyde under Riley than we've come to expect in the last 15 years or so!

I think how we perform in the Oregon game will determine the road we take. All momentum in our corner. Name opponent, probable night game lots for visitors. Win that one in good fashion and we will probably have a pretty good showing the rest of the way....maybe 10-2. Lose and that 7-5 looks more like it.

Oregon will be the proof as to whether or not the "buy in" has fully taken place. They were a thorn in this Staff's side for years and they will be looking to make a statement.

The odd thing about Tommy is he throws the ball to the other team in bizarre fashion, and often without logic. Some QB's just can't make all the throws and they can't overcome good coverage. Some QB's have poor to average receivers who can't get open. Some QB's encounter relentless pressure and are doomed from the snap. Those problems don't really afflict Armstrong.
Tommy is the only QB I've ever seen who can throw a pick to a linebacker sitting in a zone, 13 yards from the nearest receiver. His WTF throws prove problematic more than a noodle armed QB throwing a pick under diress. Because Tommy often throws picks to defenders with nobody near them and a path to the end zone.
Ditto to this again; and as CC Lemming called him " MR Spin and Chuck ". I can see it coming down to as described, some factors:
a) His dads all pro buddy in his ear after the Iowa game; " Enough of the sandlot, you are a senior next year and if you have any aspirations you will realize the coaches will have options next year and they will bench you. You have quarters where you complete over 70% doing it as taught; then 20% disasters when you spin to set up the cameras for the blind eyed chuck. Are you color blind? ". ... Well thats one imagined convo
b) I believe the coaches had it with the Iowa game and post that and he was put on notice - and turned positive.
c) He will see the bench as necessary on fails; this could cure lapses.
d) I believe in a freshman potential; if the rubber hits the road early, team improves by additional talent.

Here's how I see it. And yes, next year's schedule is a real gift. Again.

Fresno State Lincoln - Win
Wyoming Lincoln - Win
Oregon Lincoln - Toss-Up, nowhere near as "unwinnable" as in the past few seasons, but this could easily be an L. I give us 50/50 and thats if we have no major injuries and are playing REALLY good football.
Northwestern Evanston - Win, possibly Blowout Win.
Illinois Lincoln - Blowout Win
Indiana Bloomington - Win (though Indiana really can chug along on offense, this could be a tough game and one of those L's we should have W'ed.)
Purdue Lincoln - Blowout Win
Wisconsin Madison - This year we finally whomp Bucky at home. WIN.
Ohio State Columbus - Loss. DEFINITIVE Loss.
Minnesota Lincoln - Win, possibly Blowout Win.
Maryland Lincoln - Win, possibly Blowout Win.
Iowa Iowa City - Win

So, given a definitive loss to Ohio State, a possible (and maybe even probable) loss to Oregon, and then maybe dropping a game we shouldn't, that still puts us at 9-3 and probably in contention to win the West. And I think with better luck and if Tommy can actually play QB, this could easily be a 10-2 year. 11-1 and 12-0 are highly unlikely.

There are reasons to be optimistic about the Oregon game: Oregon is losing a little of their lustre over the last couple of years, though they are still a very talented, dangerous team on offense. The other thing going for us is that Riley has played Oregon forever and sometimes even beaten them with FAR inferior talent than he has at his disposal now.

Thoughts?

Wyoming Lincoln - Win
Oregon Lincoln - Toss-Up, nowhere near as "unwinnable" as in the past few seasons, but this could easily be an L. I give us 50/50 and thats if we have no major injuries and are playing REALLY good football.
Indiana Bloomington - Win (though Indiana really can chug along on offense, this could be a tough game and one of those L's we should have W'ed.)
Iowa Iowa City - Win

So, given a definitive loss to Ohio State, a possible (and maybe even probable) loss to Oregon, and then maybe dropping a game we shouldn't, that still puts us at 9-3 and probably in contention to win the West. And I think with better luck and if Tommy can actually play QB, this could easily be a 10-2 year. 11-1 and 12-0 are highly unlikely.

There are reasons to be optimistic about the Oregon game: Oregon is losing a little of their lustre over the last couple of years, though they are still a very talented, dangerous team on offense. The other thing going for us is that Riley has played Oregon forever and sometimes even beaten them with FAR inferior talent than he has at his disposal now.

Thoughts?

I would say at least a wee bit optimistic.

You have huge question marks all over the DL, posters on this board were highly critical of your OL last year and now you have to replace 4 starters (and your OL coach was known for not rotating players, thus getting them actual game reps), I question whether or not you have a top-shelf tailback on the roster, and TA is TA.

I get that you're fans and most tend to look on the optimistic side, but NU's talent and coaching does not scare me one bit as an opposing fan.

You have very losable games with Oregon, Iowa, Northwestern (see recent series history), Wisco (see recent series history, they are EXTREMELY tough at home), Minnesota (see recent series history), and a virtual guaranteed loss at OSU. Indiana will also be tricky at their place as you really don't know what they'll have next year, but traditionally under Wilson than can put points and yards on anyone.

I can see 6-6 or 7-5 real easy for you next year. Illinois is also a tough team to judge and they beat you last year. I only see 4-5 probable wins for you, and the rest are all losable.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawksrule965
Follow-up post on the possible loss games:

1.) Oregon - as I said, the Ducks are not exactly blowing everyone away like they were a couple of years ago, but they're still an incredible opponent. However, Stanford has proven that if you go out there and smash the Quack Attack right in the face, the Ducks can lose, and lose hard. So, this will all depend on how well Tommy is playing, in my opinion. If we are able to go out and solidly run the ball, plus lock up our secondary, I see us beating Oregon in a contest of pounding the rock.

2.) Ohio State - We are nowhere near able to challenge Ohio State yet. We just don't have the consistency to beat a team that ridiculously stacked with talent coached by Alan Thicke I mean Urban Meyer. Yet. This is as close to a sure loss we will face all year.

3.) Games we could drop:
a. Indiana - They tend to play like they have nothing to lose and are actually fairly good at throwing haymakers at teams that aren't ready for them. We should still win, but I wouldn't be shocked if this were a drop.
b. Wisconsin - I truly hate playing Wisconsin in Madison; drunk, classless fans and a team that has had our number far too often.
c. Iowa - I say we beat Iowa, but who knows? Iowa isn't great, but they aren't bad, either.

Wyoming Lincoln - Win
Iowa Iowa City - Win

Thoughts?

Oregon also lost one of their top RB's that had to retire early. They are going to be a handful, but they struggle with size on the DL typically. Hopefully or DL is ready to roll, and we can punch them in the mouth!

Reactions: DudznSudz
At say at least a wee bit optimistic.

You have huge question marks all over the DL, posters on this board were highly critical of your OL last year and now you have to replace 4 starters (and your OL coach was known for not rotating players, thus getting them actual game reps), I question whether or not you have a top-shelf tailback on the roster, and TA is TA.

I get that you're fans and most tend to look on the optimistic side, but NU's talent and coaching does not scare me one bit as an opposing fan.

Optimistic.... Yes, but we don't have as many questions as you think on the DL, and the youth at the DT spot should be decent. We will have a better secondary and LB than last year, and our offense is going to be more potent. As the other posters have stated, it is all going to ride on Tommy. As an opposing fan base you should be a bit nervous because a team that is going to be virtually improved at every spot lost to you only because their QB went simple jack out on the field. The jury is still out on Mike Riley, but the schedule is not that daunting.

Reactions: scarletred
Optimistic.... Yes, but we don't have as many questions as you think on the DL, and the youth at the DT spot should be decent. We will have a better secondary and LB than last year, and our offense is going to be more potent. As the other posters have stated, it is all going to ride on Tommy. As an opposing fan base you should be a bit nervous because a team that is going to be virtually improved at every spot lost to you only because their QB went simple jack out on the field. The jury is still out on Mike Riley, but the schedule is not that daunting.

Again, where does this supposed improvement come from, outside of just blind fan optimism and kool-aid drinking?

Your OL will have to be completely re-tooled. I know you have a nice set of WRs, but you have no proven top-level tailback, and I'll believe TA won't throw the ball completely up for grabs multiple times per game once I see it with my own eyes (and I agree completely that this is why you lost to us last year).

I find your talent on defense highly questionable at every level. I said the same things last year and was roundly criticized for questioning your talent level and coaching. I'll go ahead and claim victory on that count.

I do not consider Nebraska to be one of the more difficult games on Iowa's schedule next year.

Can't wait for the Oregon game. I think they lose most if not all of their front 7 on defense. Plus they will be having another transfer at QB and it will be early in the season for him to know all their system. I'm glad we are playing them early instead of late but I'm optimistic we win that one as well.

Again, where does this supposed improvement come from, outside of just blind fan optimism and kool-aid drinking?

Your OL will have to be completely re-tooled. I know you have a nice set of WRs, but you have no proven top-level tailback, and I'll believe TA won't throw the ball completely up for grabs multiple times per game once I see it with my own eyes (and I agree completely that this is why you lost to us last year).

I find your talent on defense highly questionable at every level. I said the same things last year and was roundly criticized for questioning your talent level and coaching. I'll go ahead and claim victory on that count.

I do not consider Nebraska to be one of the more difficult games on Iowa's schedule next year.

Thoughts:

OL - Its replacing a few starters, but honestly, this group should be no worse than last year, and arguably better.
Tailback: Who was so great last year that we don't have this year, Imani Cross? We start Newby and Ozigbo again, and particularly Ozigbo looked great last year.
WR - Pretty stacked.
QB - The less he throws, the better, sadly. I realize this sort of defeats the purpose of having a stacked WR corps, but seriously, yeesh. I'm all for starting a true freshman if TA can't hack it.

DL - I am fairly confident this group is going to be just fine, though I would call it the biggest question mark on D going into spring ball.
LB - Barring injuries, this group should be way better than last year.
Secondary - Improved as the season wore on, particularly the last few games. It should improve even more by Fall.

I still consider this a win. And I too do not consider Iowa to be a particularly tough team for us to play. So, we'll see!

LB and Secondary was far better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning and we basically return all of the key contributors. They will be drastically improved. DT is a question mark but we have two highly rated recruits waiting for PT.

Offense will be much improved with another year in the system and could put up big numbers. RB's will be fine..Newby is capable and Ozigbo looked very good in the REPS he got.

I feel the same about Iowa.

It's not blind optimism just because you can't understand, but I'll help you out.

RB - We will have Ozigbo who now will have another year, Newby who is servicable, Wilbon who has potential to be really good, and some significant backups. Tre Bryant may redshirt, but he may be a big timer. No koolaid, just fact. We have servicable backs.

WR - Enough said, and got better

OL - Have plenty of youth, and the backups coming in have a chance to be good. Our OL wasn't that good, and it isn't going to be a large drop off if at all.

Secondary - Major upgrade in talent, and more time in the system. They are getting better, and should be much better this year.

LB - Big experience upgrade and are bringing in talent.

DL - Maybe a few questions, but have at least 5 to 6 who can go at DT. Will wait to see how some of the new talent turns out, and a few could play early.

Try doing some research before you come over and spout off. It's not hard to see that we have experience and talent coming in, plus there will be less getting used to the new coaching staff.

I love the optimism, but nobody would have predicted we'd go 1-5 in the Big Ten West before last season, nor did many believe we'd beat Michigan State. With Tommy and this staff, every game could go either way.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I still consider this a win. And I too do not consider Iowa to be a particularly tough team for us to play. So, we'll see!

Clearly the best team you play outside of OSU and MAYBE Oregon.

We will be far and away the overwhelming favorite in the West pre-season, and likely in the Top 10-15 according to everyone.

It's not blind optimism just because you can't understand, but I'll help you out.

RB - We will have Ozigbo who now will have another year, Newby who is servicable, Wilbon who has potential to be really good, and some significant backups. Tre Bryant may redshirt, but he may be a big timer. No koolaid, just fact. We have servicable backs.

WR - Enough said, and got better

OL - Have plenty of youth, and the backups coming in have a chance to be good. Our OL wasn't that good, and it isn't going to be a large drop off if at all.

Secondary - Major upgrade in talent, and more time in the system. They are getting better, and should be much better this year.

LB - Big experience upgrade and are bringing in talent.

DL - Maybe a few questions, but have at least 5 to 6 who can go at DT. Will wait to see how some of the new talent turns out, and a few could play early.

Try doing some research before you come over and spout off. It's not hard to see that we have experience and talent coming in, plus there will be less getting used to the new coaching staff.

LOL, so basically, we have great talent everywhere and everyone is going to be better next year. I heard exactly the same thing all over this board last year.

You have basically zero proven, experienced playmakers anywhere on the roster outside of WR and possibly TA, although he tends to hurt you as much as he helps,

But when you guys lose talent and experience (a la OL and DT), you just re-load with your never-ending pipeline of talent.

It's just laughable. All people did last year was bitch about how Bo left the cupboard bare with crappy recruiting, but now you're just bursting with untapped potential all over the roster.

Just laughable.

Im just going to laugh my ass off when the tables turn this year with Iowa amd Nebraska. Wait and watch Hawkeye, just because you ASSUME we will be the same as last year doesn't me we will. You claim we are being blind about a good season but your doing the samething when it comes to the Huskers, did you forget with all our losses but one game was by a couple points or so, that means every single game could of been wins as well as loses. So you assuming we are going to be bad again is just being simply blind yourself.

Im just going to laugh my ass off when the tables turn this year with Iowa amd Nebraska. Wait and watch Hawkeye, just because you ASSUME we will be the same as last year doesn't me we will. You claim we are being blind about a good season but your doing the samething when it comes to the Huskers, did you forget with all our losses but one game was by a couple points or so, that means every single game could of been wins as well as loses. So you assuming we are going to be bad again is just being simply blind yourself.

We used to say exactly the same thing when we'd lose a half-dozen nailbiters every year.

Welcome to mediocrity-ville. It's what bad teams tend to do.

Just enjoy your knocks while you can, next season will roll around soon enough and you guys already spent yur one good season every 5 year card, just make sure you keep coming back here after we hand you a loss next year.

What ever you wanna say Hawkeye, im pointing out to you that the Huskers were not even close to being a bad team last year and anyone who watched us play and seen the close scores all season could see that. Hell Tommy threw how many picks, one for a TD, we had how many bone head penalties for over 100 plus yards and you guys still only beat us by 8 points. If you guys where that much better then us, you guys should of beat us by over 14 points how shitty we played, again you only beat us by 8 points. Let that sink in.

To the Hawkeye fans, if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be saying the same thing as you. One thing not brought up yet that I saw was the second year in this system and the buy in from our players.

Last year was a tough year for our team in those two areas, and both will be much better this year in the eyes of many. That means those 4 games lost in the last 30 seconds of the game should be a different story this year.

Add to that the fact that we recruit reasonably well (and generally speaking, better than Iowa more often than not), if the coaches can coach the talent up we will be fine.

These are ifs, I get that, but it could be a good year this coming season.

- We have a high chance to win these 7 games: Fresno State, Wyoming, @Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland
- We have a decent chance to win these 3 games: Oregon, @Indiana, @Iowa
- We have a less-than-decent chance to win these 2 games: @Wisconsin, @Ohio State

Here are my additional thoughts: I think Nebraska can be 9-3 next year. Win what I have called "High Chance" games and we have a good shot at going 2-3 in the "Decent Chance" and "Less-Than-Decent" chance.

Analyzing the games in chronological order:

I think we a good chance against Oregon solely based on the fact that they have a similar Pac-12 D-Line size-wise to UCLA, which we practically ran over running the ball. We also have HCMR who has been successful against the Ducks in the past.

I don't think people (who haven't watched Indiana play at home) realize how tough it is to win there. Harbaugh and Meyer had a really tough time winning there last year. That game is a toss up because Indiana can flat-out score, especially at home.

Iowa is another toss-up, as some have already noted. We don't know what Iowa team will show up next year. The same can be said about us, too, though I think Riley is trending this program upward. But it looks like they could have another decent season, but we don't know. We have been successful in Iowa City though, so that's something positive to look for.

I don't know if Wisconsin has been discussed much, but I think it is just as hard to win in Madison as it is in Columbus. Wisconsin is not a slouch and has recruited right with us the past few years. This game is a toss up for me, but we are 0-2 away and 1-3 overall against Wisconsin since being in the B1G.

We have no idea how Riley will stack up against Ohio State & Meyer. But even though I find it hard to think that we will win in Columbus, if the staff watches Dantonio's approach to Michigan State's approach, and hoping that Ohio State comes off an big win the week before us, we could have a chance. What a program win that would be. But it's close to doubtful that we get out of there win a W.

Forecast: 9-3 right now with some cloud cover, decent chance of 8-4.

LOL, so basically, we have great talent everywhere and everyone is going to be better next year. I heard exactly the same thing all over this board last year.

You have basically zero proven, experienced playmakers anywhere on the roster outside of WR and possibly TA, although he tends to hurt you as much as he helps,

But when you guys lose talent and experience (a la OL and DT), you just re-load with your never-ending pipeline of talent.

It's just laughable. All people did last year was bitch about how Bo left the cupboard bare with crappy recruiting, but now you're just bursting with untapped potential all over the roster.

Just laughable.

Your obsession is noted. Why the F do you care what Nebraska fans say on their own board? If you can't handle it...go lecture your own delusional fanbase.

Before I make any predictions for 2016, I want to see what happens during the spring workouts....

It's funny how Iowa 2 years ago was just as bad as we were this season and Iowa had one of it's best seasons in school history of course they had a favorable schedule ....not saying Nebraska going 12-0 but they sure as hell can be 10-2 or 9-3 instead of this 6-6 crap.....

We have some experience at places that we didn't have last year... Our Defensive line and depth is not as bad as the Herky's want to believe.

Most of what's being said is that at those specific positions we should be better than or at worst equal to last year, not that we're going to be great. The only clear downside on a position to position basis is at the DL and even that could be better by the end of next year. if we have some young DE step to the plate anyway. It's hard to lose two pretty good starters but our DE's were freakin awful.

somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2 sounds a bout right. It just depends on how crazy TA decides to be. if he decides to go off the reservation yet again we'll probably spend the second half of the year with POB starting and that's not a recipe for anything much better than 7-5. if he has anything resembling discipline 10-2 could very well happen.

Best year in the history of Iowa's pathetic football program and they still lost two games. Come to our board and talk shit when you actually win something LOL

Reactions: SOHusker11
Best year in the history of Iowa's pathetic football program and they still lost two games. Come to our board and talk shit when you actually win something LOL

Yeah...I don't understand Iowans. Their best season almost ever and they needed a targeting call and TA to win. Now...we aren't a tough game for them.

They are so much like Colorado Fans that would say "now that we own Nebraska..." after beating once in 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT