ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Away Game Trips

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
Who is going where? And if going, what's the smoothest/slickest way to go about the weekend for each game? How friendly are the universities' respective fan bases and how much will those fan bases affect the experience?

@Northwestern (planning on this)
@Wisconsin
@Ohio State
@Indiana
@Iowa

(Also, I thought I'd throw out there that the Cubs and Cardinals have a 3-game series for the Northwestern weekend in Chicago. Just don't know if either team will have clinched a playoff spot, so that may affect game motivation and players on field)

Can't wait for September 3! GBR!

Who is going where? And if going, what's the smoothest/slickest way to go about the weekend for each game? How friendly are the universities' respective fan bases and how much will those fan bases affect the experience?

@Northwestern (planning on this)
@Wisconsin
@Ohio State
@Indiana
@Iowa

(Also, I thought I'd throw out there that the Cubs and Cardinals have a 3-game series for the Northwestern weekend in Chicago. Just don't know if either team will have clinched a playoff spot, so that may affect game motivation and players on field)

Can't wait for September 3! GBR!

Going to try and go to Ohio State and NW. Wisconsin is pretty fun, but can't wait to go to the Shoe.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I have been to NW and Wisconsin.
Fans were great, zero issue with anyone. I know some people said they had issues but I think that sometimes people really look to be offended.

NW is a bit weird and if they are doing a Blur Party for the game I would suggest you buy passes for that because once you get into Evanston there is really not much to do before the game.

I have been to NW and Wisconsin.
Fans were great, zero issue with anyone. I know some people said they had issues but I think that sometimes people really look to be offended.

NW is a bit weird and if they are doing a Blur Party for the game I would suggest you buy passes for that because once you get into Evanston there is really not much to do before the game.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip! Got a huge group of friends headed to NW. And gotta start booking now.. That game is just little over a month away from now.

I heard it was also easy to take the Purple Line Train to the stadium too. Probably will look for a good time at the Blur Party or just take a train downtown!

Went to NW two years ago and had a blast (also been to Wisconsin). Depending on where you're travelling from, here's an idea: we took the train from Omaha to Chicago and then flew back to Omaha. Train ride was a blast as long as you're not in a big hurry (lots of Husker fans). I would recommend staying in Chicago and taking the L train to Evanston-very easy. Northwestern's fans were hospitable, but didn't seem too enthusiastic. That may be different with the 10-win season they had last year.
Have fun!

Interesting. Thanks for the tip! Got a huge group of friends headed to NW. And gotta start booking now.. That game is just little over a month away from now.

I heard it was also easy to take the Purple Line Train to the stadium too. Probably will look for a good time at the Blur Party or just take a train downtown!
Blur passes will be like 40 dollars for all you can eat and drink, I think.

I'm off to Indiana for the game on October 15th. Looking forward to it and folks have told me it's a nice place to attend a game.

Been invited to OSU game with big OSU boosters so prob headed there. Back to Lincoln for Oregon game. All games are road trips for me.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I still think that the Lincoln bars on O and Hay Market are the best set up I have seen compared to the other areas I have been. But I am sure the tailgating is much better at other spots than Lincoln which can get pretty spread out.

A word about OSU. Their fans are mostly ok. Similar to Oklahoma in that a few are really cocky. The bad news is the NU ticket allotment is 25-30 rows up in the horseshoe end of the stadium. You are ridiculously high and far from the field. It's not worth it.

As for Northwestern, we are going to make it a bucket list weekend and see my three favorite lifelong teams in 3 days. My Cardinals at Wrigley on Friday, Huskers on Saturday and head up to watch my Packers play the Lions on Sunday. Never thought in a million years that would happen or even be possible. Can't wait.

A word about OSU. Their fans are mostly ok. Similar to Oklahoma in that a few are really cocky. The bad news is the NU ticket allotment is 25-30 rows up in the horseshoe end of the stadium. You are ridiculously high and far from the field. It's not worth it.

As for Northwestern, we are going to make it a bucket list weekend and see my three favorite lifelong teams in 3 days. My Cardinals at Wrigley on Friday, Huskers on Saturday and head up to watch my Packers play the Lions on Sunday. Never thought in a million years that would happen or even be possible. Can't wait.

We're doing the same exact trip!

Reactions: nwualum
Been to Madison for the very first B1G game and had great seats which were away from the student section thank God and had some busch talking leaving the studuim from some students but other then that it was a great time and I'm planning on going again in the future.

Been to Iowa City plenty of times but the Thanksgiving weekend doesn't appeal to me when you have to leave so early after Thanksgiving.

Trying to swing the Indiana game but might not be possible... I setting my sights for next year's Oregon game in Eugene.

Mrs. Sparky & I are headed to Wisconsin. She has never been to an away game. Should be interesting since it is on Halloween.

Been to Madison for the very first B1G game and had great seats which were away from the student section thank God and had some busch talking leaving the studuim from some students but other then that it was a great time and I'm planning on going again in the future.

Been to Iowa City plenty of times but the Thanksgiving weekend doesn't appeal to me when you have to leave so early after Thanksgiving.

Trying to swing the Indiana game but might not be possible... I setting my sights for next year's Oregon game in Eugene.

I too am probably waiting until the Oregon game for my next away game. May make my way to State College as well.

Been invited to OSU game with big OSU boosters so prob headed there. Back to Lincoln for Oregon game. All games are road trips for me.
Ditto here. Living in Pennsylvania makes it all a road trip. I too will be in Lincoln for Oregon, but will also drive from my home here in northeast PA to Columbus. I know we will most likely lose that game, but who knows! It is the Koolaide drinking part of preseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT