ADVERTISEMENT

2 Tight End sets

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
Question about X’s and O’s offensively. Bear with me, I’m trying to learn. Nate mentioned something today in the chat about seeing more “2 TE sets” with Volocek seeing significant playing time in 2020. Letting my uneducated mind wander, given his size, with two tight ends in the game, does that generally equal out to more power running plays and schemes that all the old timers want to see? Does that basically mean more added beef to the line and downhill running?

Reactions: HuskerPam
Yes and no. This offense is an advantagious offense, putting in two TEs offers power runs, better blocking on both run or pass plays, opens up both sides as power run, all sorts of things can and will be used.
If the defense doesn't respond, or, if they too go heavier, with presnap, you might get a slot with a LB on him etc.
Presnap motion, numbers,mismatches and good ol power.

Interesting Nate would say that. I have been thinking we may see more 4 and 5 WR sets this year. We need both Wandale and JD on the field and both play best inside at slot WR.

Question about X’s and O’s offensively. Bear with me, I’m trying to learn. Nate mentioned something today in the chat about seeing more “2 TE sets” with Volocek seeing significant playing time in 2020. Letting my uneducated mind wander, given his size, with two tight ends in the game, does that generally equal out to more power running plays and schemes that all the old timers want to see? Does that basically mean more added beef to the line and downhill running?
with Volocek in the game, we may actually see a TE stretch the field in the passing game for once.

To me when I hear or think 2 TE sets I think of how the patriots used to run their offense when they had Gronk and Hernandez... the idea behind it is to get the mismatch... you’d see more 2 TE with 2 WR sets, once you do that you force the d to stay in their base package to respect the run game... so that means the d is taking their nickel out and leaving in that 3rd LBr in a 4-3 so in theory you're already creating a mismatch with speed on the field, plus a mismatch in coverage abilities... There tends to be a wide range of options you can go to based off how the D responds... if they are thinking run are they going to stack the box? If so then you spread out and get a mismatch with a fast agile TE vs a slower (in theory) bulkier LBr, or you could keep them tight and again try to get over top with your WR... if they read pass then you line it up and use the two TE set for extra blockers up the middle or around the edge...

Maybe we'll see this more in the red zone where we've struggled. Especially inside the 5 yard line

We will see if Volocek has the goods. NU has had a problem getting the TE involved in the passing game for quite some time. Cethan Carter's talents were largely wasted by both Pelini and Riley. The passing game opens up when all options are involved.

I hope we utilize them better this year. We have a nice collection of tight ends that are basically non factors. I don't think we whiffed on 4 or 5 guys. I think they are underutilized and potentially under-developed. Rafdal was a great receiver here in Indiana and had great movement for a guy that's 6'6". He's a ghost here. Put these guys in for jump balls at the very least.

You have seen a trend in the NFL the past 5 years or so where the TE's can be used to stretch the field and open things up for the WR's. Look at the two teams in the Super Bowl this year, they have some serious dudes at TE. Brady wasn't really Brady this year without Gronk creating match up problems.

Don't know much about Volocek, but it seems like a TE seems to be the straw that stirs the drink in most effective offense these days.

The more TEs you play, the harder it is to line up on defense. If you bring in 10 personnel, everyone knows you’ll be in 2x2, 3x1, or maybe empty. You cannot line up one of those candy ass WRs as a TE. On the other hand, you bring in 2 or more TEs, you can still line up in 2x2, 3x1, or empty, but you can also play heavy run sets, especially when you can play one as an H. Add in motion from 1 back to 2 back, vice-versa, or even empty to 1 or 2-back with a TE...that stuff ain’t easy for a DC.

I hope we utilize them better this year. We have a nice collection of tight ends that are basically non factors. I don't think we whiffed on 4 or 5 guys. I think they are underutilized and potentially under-developed. Rafdal was a great receiver here in Indiana and had great movement for a guy that's 6'6". He's a ghost here. Put these guys in for jump balls at the very least.
I do wonder if their lack of production as well as WR lack of production was mainly due to Martinez. I don't think Frost trusted him to not throw an INT.

Beckton had mentioned he needed major work on blocking coming in.
******************************************************************************************************

But blocking is an area that needs work. Beckton is hoping this year off is spent working on technique as an in-line blocker.

“As big as he is, evaluating him coming in I didn’t think he was very polished as an in-line blocker,” Beckton said. “So we’ve really focused in on him being more of a technician as far as hand placement, footwork, stepping with the proper footwork. You see him after practice trying to work on those individual techniques.”

Where are his eyes when he’s coming to strike a defender? What’s his footwork like? Is he striking the right way?

“All those small detail things he didn’t have a major knowledge of and we’re really trying to harp on that with him,” Beckton said.

And none of that is to say Vokolek isn’t what the coaching staff thought he was when they recruited him. He hasn’t underwhelmed. He just has three years to play two and Nebraska is using the first year to get him caught up to speed on how they do things.

The potential is still exciting.

“He’s going to be a dude next year,” Allen said of his teammate. “He’s going to be a great addition to us next year. Having him as competition in fall camp is awesome because he looks like a Big Ten tight end. That’s what the defense is going to get and that’s what they’re going to see, so it’s awesome that they brought him in to fall camp.”

I am in favor of two tight end sets if the two particular tight ends out there are two of the most effective skill players we have. I don't like running two TE sets just for the sake of two TE sets.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I am in favor of two tight end sets if the two particular tight ends out there are two of the most effective skill players we have. I don't like running two TE sets just for the sake of two TE sets.
Stoll, Allen, Hickman and the new guy. I don't think NU will go heavy on 2 TEs, but I think NU has the TEs to do that.

I'm not going to say speed is overrated at TE, because speed is always nice. But other teams (Minnesota jumps to mind) seem to always have a giant TE that is pretty involved in the passing game without being a burner. We only seem to hit receivers that are wide open, while I see a lot of other offenses getting receptions to guys that are physical and win the matchup. We need to do that, starting at TE.

Alright so basically what I was thinking, 2 TEs for power run game, is a reach, like normal for me, and they're still going to mix it up between run and pass using TEs......10/4

Alright so basically what I was thinking, 2 TEs for power run game, is a reach, like normal for me, and they're still going to mix it up between run and pass using TEs......10/4
I wouldn’t say it’s a reach, it’s all going to depend how the D reads and reacts... now I don’t think you’ll see it lead to a true power run where you only have the two TEs as extra blockers... but i can see it used to actually help open up the middle for the run... you take one TE and motion him out to the flex the LBr has to follow and it will also force one of the safeties to slide out a little... which takes two people out of the box just by a simple motion, when you do that it opens up the middle a little more... the D also can just constantly all out blitz because there is the passing threat, and the TE will typically chip the backer and slow up his rush as well... in all honesty the 2TE set just opens up a world of options, as long as your TEs are decent threats... they don’t have to be all world but need to have fairly steady hands, and decent while blocking

I feel like fans get too hyped up about TE and coaches..no matter what talent and system they run ever really utilize the TE to their full potential.

Nebraska hasnt been a prominent TE school even with some pretty good ones on the roster the last fifteen years. Hell Iowa is TE U and even with a talent like Fant and a boring pro style scheme the number one complaint was they didn't use him well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I feel like fans get too hyped up about TE and coaches..no matter what talent and system they run ever really utilize the TE to their full potential.

Nebraska hasnt been a prominent TE school even with some pretty good ones on the roster the last fifteen years. Hell Iowa is TE U and even with a talent like Fant and a boring pro style scheme the number one complaint was they didn't use him well.
Glad SF is letting those coaches from 15 yrs ago on is letting them call plays?

We will see if Volocek has the goods. NU has had a problem getting the TE involved in the passing game for quite some time. Cethan Carter's talents were largely wasted by both Pelini and Riley. The passing game opens up when all options are involved.
Cethan Carter's talent was overrated. He was used appropriately.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Cethan Carter's talent was overrated. He was used appropriately.

if you say so, lmfao. Leave it to you to down play one of our betters TEs we have had in years and is still in the NFL playing for the Bengals. I’ll definitely defend the fact he wasn’t used well. I still remember that TE around run play he took to the house. Dudes got talent.

nope, Miami Hurricanes own the TE-U. Nice try though. I love how Iowa fans just try and claim that when it’s not theirs to claim.

https://www.rotoviz.com/2019/08/whi...best-tight-ends-nfl-university-the-real-te-u/
https://www.rotoviz.com/2019/08/whi...best-tight-ends-nfl-university-the-real-te-u/
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...which-schools-produce-most-talent-position#TE

Last edited:
nope, Miami Hurricanes own the TE-U. Nice try though. I love how Iowa fans just try and claim that when it’s not theirs to claim.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...which-schools-produce-most-talent-position#TE

I don't really care which school is TE U as I don't like Miami or Iowa. All I'm saying is they had some good ones over the years and the perfect system to showcase them and they really don't. I believe when asked about it Kirk said Fant was a good role player or change of pace or something to that effect in a PC once

I don't really care which school is TE U as I don't like Miami or Iowa. All I'm saying is they had some good ones over the years and the perfect system to showcase them and they really don't. I believe when asked about it Kirk said Fant was a good role player or change of pace or something to that effect in a PC once

All I was doing was pointing out your error. Iowa isn’t TE-U. As of now that belongs to Miami Hurricanes.

if you say so, lmfao. Leave it to you to down play one of our betters TEs we have had in years and is still in the NFL playing for the Bengals. I’ll definitely defend the fact he wasn’t used well. I still remember that TE around run play he took to the house. Dudes got talent.
2 receptions for 13 yards in his career in a league that's desperate for good TE's. Kyler Reed was a much better college TE imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT