ADVERTISEMENT

1 Word to describe Scott Frost Charitable Cornhusker Fans

Oct 12, 2016
Delusional.

Nebraska's 2022 recruiting class is its worst in modern history. The thing that gets dicey is how can you expect Frost to recruit a class of difference-makers in 2023 when he will be coming off four straight losing seasons and his seat already smoldering? That class is expected to number at least 20 and will be even worse than 2022. This will set the program back massively from already bottom of BIG level.

Who is going to commit to a coach they know has a coin flip's chance of being retained after the season? If Frost fails again and a change is made a year from now, any class he assembles will fall apart and you're condemning the program to back-to-back terrible recruiting classes. That will make your next rebuild under a new staff that much more difficult.

Since 1971, there have been 705 coaches who were at the same school 4+ years. One hundred five (15%) got a fifth season after having zero winning seasons, zero bowl appearances and less than .390 win percentage. Of those 105 coaches, only 14 (13%) ever had a winning season at that school. Of those 14, only two went on to have a career record over .500 at that school. Only four ever finished a season at that school ranked in the top 25. None of those coaches ever went on to finish in the top 10.

In those 50 years, not once did a top-20 program like Nebraska give a coach a fifth year after four straight losing seasons. Not once. In fact, you'll only find two examples of a coach at a top-20 program getting a fourth season after three straight losing seasons; In 2008, Washington fired Tyrone Willingham after he went 0-12 in his fourth year after going 2-9, 5-7 and 4-9 the previous three seasons. In 1994, LSU fired Curley Hallman after he went 4-7 in his fourth year after going 5-6, 2-9 and 5-6 the previous three seasons. What Alberts is doing is unprecedented.

What about Frost's current contemporaries? Well, there are 55 FBS coaches who have coached as many games as Scott Frost at their current schools. Thirty-two of those coaches are also at Power Five schools. Among his peers, Frost ranks in the bottom 3 in overall winning percentage, winning percentage against conference opponents, winning percentage against teams with a winning record, winning percentage against teams with a winning conference record, winning percentage against Power Five teams and winning percentage against Top 25 teams.

Let's go a step further and compare not just the current coaches, but the programs. There are 65 Power Five teams. Since Frost took over at Nebraska in 2018, only six (9%) have a worse overall record: Kansas, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Arkansas and Oregon State. That's the sort of company Alberts is okay with Nebraska being part of, apparently. Oregon State is the only one of those six that hasn't changed coaches in that span. Give the other five credit for not getting apathetic.

Of Frost's 15 wins, five came against teams from the FCS (2018 Bethune-Cookman, 2021 Fordham), Sun Belt (2019 South Alabama) and MAC (2019 Northern Illinois, 2021 Buffalo). Of his 10 wins against Power Five opponents, only two of those teams (Minnesota, Michigan State) finished with a winning record. Both were 7-6 in 2018. Northwestern, which Nebraska beat October 2, is currently 3-6. The other seven were a combined 25-48 (.342 win percentage). Even if you include the three Group of Five teams, the total records for the 13 FBS teams Frost beat is 53-88 (.376).

Frost has lost to seven opponents that finished a season (or currently sit) under .500. Frost is 2-20 against teams with a winning record. Every other Big Ten West team has beaten at least two ranked teams since 2018. Frost is currently 0-12, losing by an average margin of 15.8 points.

Frost has a 10-23 (.303%) conference record (dead last) and is 6-15 (.286%) against teams in the West Division, which is tied with Illinois for dead last. In fact, Frost doesn’t have a winning record against a single team in the Big Ten West. Keep in mind those records are likely to get worse with two games against top 25 teams left on the schedule. Nebraska is the only team in the West that will have finished in the bottom 3 of the division each of the past four years. Frost has won back-to-back games just four times (has never had a three-game winning streak), and has won back-to-back league games only once.

It will truly take a modern day miracle for things to work out for Frost at Nebraska.

Something I read years ago regarding recruiting classes... Let's wait till after they graduate to determine the success or failure of a recruiting class. There is still several months to go before the recruits are closed out and the class is finalized. (I forget the early signing date) Not all homerun recruits sign in the early period, not all homeruns are homeruns but a bunt instead, and there are some inside the park homeruns on a bunt.

The fanbase needs to take a breath and let this play out. Easier said than done, but maybe just maybe, the coaches were a dud and has caused this dilemma the team is in. Sometimes, a switch in coaches cure tons of ills. These next two games will show the character of this team.

I cant stand the poster….but the OP has a fine post that deserves a read,

The snarky comments are a defense mechanism. Theres some damning stats there.

The program under Frost will likely improve with a new staff and easier schedule. But the question is this:

Will Nebraska ever win a conference title with SF as head coach?

My answer is clearly a NO.

The program under Frost will likely improve with a new staff and easier schedule. But the question is this:

You read that? You honestly saw who the OP was and decided to read a novel by him? Wow, impressive.

Fair enough. But now we will have to read variations of this in every thread he posts in moving forward.

Delusional.

Nebraska's 2022 recruiting class is its worst in modern history. The thing that gets dicey is how can you expect Frost to recruit a class of difference-makers in 2023 when he will be coming off four straight losing seasons and his seat already smoldering? That class is expected to number at least 20 and will be even worse than 2022. This will set the program back massively from already bottom of BIG level.

Who is going to commit to a coach they know has a coin flip's chance of being retained after the season? If Frost fails again and a change is made a year from now, any class he assembles will fall apart and you're condemning the program to back-to-back terrible recruiting classes. That will make your next rebuild under a new staff that much more difficult.

Since 1971, there have been 705 coaches who were at the same school 4+ years. One hundred five (15%) got a fifth season after having zero winning seasons, zero bowl appearances and less than .390 win percentage. Of those 105 coaches, only 14 (13%) ever had a winning season at that school. Of those 14, only two went on to have a career record over .500 at that school. Only four ever finished a season at that school ranked in the top 25. None of those coaches ever went on to finish in the top 10.

In those 50 years, not once did a top-20 program like Nebraska give a coach a fifth year after four straight losing seasons. Not once. In fact, you'll only find two examples of a coach at a top-20 program getting a fourth season after three straight losing seasons; In 2008, Washington fired Tyrone Willingham after he went 0-12 in his fourth year after going 2-9, 5-7 and 4-9 the previous three seasons. In 1994, LSU fired Curley Hallman after he went 4-7 in his fourth year after going 5-6, 2-9 and 5-6 the previous three seasons. What Alberts is doing is unprecedented.

What about Frost's current contemporaries? Well, there are 55 FBS coaches who have coached as many games as Scott Frost at their current schools. Thirty-two of those coaches are also at Power Five schools. Among his peers, Frost ranks in the bottom 3 in overall winning percentage, winning percentage against conference opponents, winning percentage against teams with a winning record, winning percentage against teams with a winning conference record, winning percentage against Power Five teams and winning percentage against Top 25 teams.

Let's go a step further and compare not just the current coaches, but the programs. There are 65 Power Five teams. Since Frost took over at Nebraska in 2018, only six (9%) have a worse overall record: Kansas, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Arizona, Arkansas and Oregon State. That's the sort of company Alberts is okay with Nebraska being part of, apparently. Oregon State is the only one of those six that hasn't changed coaches in that span. Give the other five credit for not getting apathetic.

Of Frost's 15 wins, five came against teams from the FCS (2018 Bethune-Cookman, 2021 Fordham), Sun Belt (2019 South Alabama) and MAC (2019 Northern Illinois, 2021 Buffalo). Of his 10 wins against Power Five opponents, only two of those teams (Minnesota, Michigan State) finished with a winning record. Both were 7-6 in 2018. Northwestern, which Nebraska beat October 2, is currently 3-6. The other seven were a combined 25-48 (.342 win percentage). Even if you include the three Group of Five teams, the total records for the 13 FBS teams Frost beat is 53-88 (.376).

Frost has lost to seven opponents that finished a season (or currently sit) under .500. Frost is 2-20 against teams with a winning record. Every other Big Ten West team has beaten at least two ranked teams since 2018. Frost is currently 0-12, losing by an average margin of 15.8 points.

Frost has a 10-23 (.303%) conference record (dead last) and is 6-15 (.286%) against teams in the West Division, which is tied with Illinois for dead last. In fact, Frost doesn’t have a winning record against a single team in the Big Ten West. Keep in mind those records are likely to get worse with two games against top 25 teams left on the schedule. Nebraska is the only team in the West that will have finished in the bottom 3 of the division each of the past four years. Frost has won back-to-back games just four times (has never had a three-game winning streak), and has won back-to-back league games only once.

It will truly take a modern day miracle for things to work out for Frost at Nebraska.
I understand the feeling and shared in the frustration and outlook, until I looked at it differently. I may not be 100% correct about what I believe has happened, but it gives me hope that the offense will get fixed and run by someone other than Scott Frost.

The defense is already being handled. Let Scott work on the culture or do his hunting or whatever, I don't care. Not a fan of him, but it seems to me he will be more of a spokesperson going forward. It's like he got fired without being fired.

We are halfway there already with the D, so lets see how the new OC handles the offense and recruiting on that side of the ball. Something special could develop.

Yeah it is a bigger risk to keep a bad coach than move on from him even with a big buyout. We made a risk and if we have a bad season next year the money we supposedly saved wont be nearly as good as it looks with the empty stadium and apathetic fanbase with a huge hole for the next coach

Delusional.

This is really long, so do as you choose. I did read your entire post.

I'll look at this is a glass half-full perspective. At no point in time, over the long haul, has KU, RU, Vandy, AZ, ARK or ORE ST ever had a winning program, give or take a good year here and there.

Even with SF being 12 games under .500, in the last 20 years NU is still 70 games over .500.

Since I joined this board in early September, I have been on the short list of the most critical of Frost and the lack of success of the team in general.
Does that mean I think NU will always stink? It does not.

SF has one more year to prove if he does or doesn't deserve to coach this team. I personally don't think he will adapt to his supposed role of CEO, I just don't think that's in his makeup. NU needs to have quality assistants that are playing the very best player at that position. It cannot be a popularity contest because he's Frost's buddy.

There IS a coach out there somewhere that can return NU to prominence.
I'm not talking about national titles, but I do think Divisional and occassionally Conference titles should and will be within reach.

The day that Frost is no longer allowed to play a mistake prone QB is the day NU will begin to repair some of the damage done to this last 4 years. If Frost thinks that Trev will stand for that type of a player to lead this team, I think Frost is in for a big surprise. Because now Trev has his fingerprints on it.

So far, Frost's way has not worked. And it's unlikely it ever will. Until Frost quits valuing the feelings of his favorite players, and starts thinking about the overall value of the team, is the day this program steps forward. The day he penciled Cam in at Center, and AM at QB, and then this year Piper at LG was the continuation of a losing process.

This program does NOT owe redemption to Adrian Martinez. He has participated in this program, but he does nothing to elevate it. Through absolutely no fault of Adrian's, Frost's handling of letting Adrian OWN
the QB spot for 4 years has been a progress killer. When SF is whining to the press about redemption for a single player is the time for both of them to go.

The first game NU plays and a QB does all the required things a good QB does to help his team win the game, is the first time this team begins to return to winning football.

The portal is likely the fastest way to try to lessen the gap. IF the right OC is hired along with the QB coach, RB coach, ST coach, and OL coach NU begins the process of getting back into the real world of offensive football.

If NU were to pick up a real good, not great OT would be a huge piece. If NU were to pick up a transfer QB who is even a level or so below Corral or Pickett would be another huge piece.

Yes, it's asking a lot to get all these pieces of the puzzle. It CAN be done, but it's not likely. Wishful thinking on my part.

After being an NU fan since 1962, I'm not ready to pack it up with this program. It's been miserable for almost all of us for 2 decades. I think I will give this program 2 more years to get it's shit together.

I have no doubt with that new project and the money involved that Trev will be willing to throw a ton of money at this program in that 2 year period to give it a helluva try to get this ship turned around.

I have became as apathetic and pissed off as anyone on here. I'm disgusted watching this brand of football, and we all KNOW what good football is supposed to look like.

We don't always get what we deserve. So many of us, over the years, took winning and winning big for granted, and we have had our asses handed to us. We "think" we deserve to return to those glory days. Once lost it can be nearly impossible to begin getting it back.

I have to have confidence in Trev, because I have no confidence in Frost. I think Trev is willing to throw everything at this over the next couple of years. At that point, if we are still spinning our wheels, I will just have to divorce myself from this University. No one will give a crap if I stay or if I leave, but to me, if I decide to walk away, it's like losing a life long companion that has betrayed me.

Delusional.

Geez the anger really brewed for a while on this one!

You should really take a break man. You shouldn't take this stuff so serious.

The snark is because he has been calling people all kinds of things because they might think differently than him.

Over and over and over and over he has said how right he is and anyone else is an idiot.

He did the same thing here but used a $hit ton more words.

He deserves any snark he gets for being so effing annoying and pessimistic.

The snark is because he has been calling people all kinds of things because they might think differently than him.

Over and over and over and over he has said how right he is and anyone else is an idiot.

He did the same thing here but used a $hit ton more words.

He deserves any snark he gets for being so effing annoying and pessimistic.
Not only that, but the majority of information he spewing the normal hard core fans are aware of..

I don’t need to be reminded that this is the worst we’ve been since the Jennings era..

I’ve lived all of it!

Ok you’ve vented I appreciate your point of view and no I’m not happy with the last 4 years, changes have been make by our AD who is a “Nebraska guy” one more year for frost to show or go. Now you can be miserable and complain daily but that still won’t change what occurred. Life is way to short to be miserable daily about a football team

Delusional.

Nebraska's 2022 recruiting class is its worst in modern history.
The thing that gets dicey is how can you expect Frost to recruit a class of difference-makers in 2023 when he will be coming off four straight losing seasons and his seat already smoldering? That class is expected to number at least 20 and will be even worse than 2022. This will set the program back massively from already bottom of BIG level.

Frank's last two classes were ranked in the mid 40s and he wasn't limited to the number of spots that Frost has this year nor was he recruiting to a team who had 5 losing seasons in a row. The fact that Scott has anybody still committed given all the speculation on his job status is an amazing feat.

Reactions: Laner2
I'm an optimist and a Frost supporter, but holy cow these stats are condemning, no doubt about it.

Delusional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT