ADVERTISEMENT

“Nebraska has admitted defeat” - Sports Illustrated

pgainey

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 19, 2021
“On Monday, Nebraska (21) waved the white flag, admitted defeat, declared itself a noncompetitor in modern college football.”

“This is modern Nebraska, and this is modern Nebraska settling—not for pretty good, or even for mediocre. This is settling for losing. This is going cheap in a sport where money currently is no object (which is actually the most defensible reasoning here). This is running scared from vigorous competition in the coaching market as many other high-level jobs open.”

Nebraska gives up

“On Monday, Nebraska (21) waved the white flag, admitted defeat, declared itself a noncompetitor in modern college football.”

“This is modern Nebraska, and this is modern Nebraska settling—not for pretty good, or even for mediocre. This is settling for losing. This is going cheap in a sport where money currently is no object (which is actually the most defensible reasoning here). This is running scared from vigorous competition in the coaching market as many other high-level jobs open.”

Nebraska gives up
Sad but true, with solid excuses for losing the next two games too.

Sports Illustrated is still around?

Probably for that one guy in the 1980's who kept sending in a check every time they put a "renew soon" card in his mailbox. They're contractually obligated to publish for the next 109 years just for him.

"Perhaps this is Nebraska’s 21st-century lot in life: a fifth year for a guy who makes Bo Pelini and Frank Solich look like [Bob] Devaney and Osborne. Perhaps the Cornhuskers are settling for submediocre because they know that the 1990s are gone forever, and all that remains is nostalgia, dry and withered as an old corn husk."

Wow. Tell us how you really feel Chuck.

Reactions: zrob and BleedRed78

Probably for that one guy in the 1980's who kept sending in a check every time they put a "renew soon" card in his mailbox. They're contractually obligated to publish for the next 109 years just for him.
The same guy who's gonna win the Publisher's Clearing House jackpot.

Maybe but you're not Oklahoma or Bama. The happiest guy around is Adrian Martinez
Looking forward to BF becoming HC at Iowa if the coming litigation doesn't end up smearing your program big time. Good thing for you guys is no one will probably notice unfortunately.

Pretty sure his dad is going to end up the better coach.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Looking forward to BF becoming HC at Iowa if the coming litigation doesn't end up smearing your program big time. Good thing for you guys is no one will probably notice unfortunately.

Pretty sure his dad is going to end up the better coach.
BF will never be the HC at Iowa. BTW Adrian is probably helping interview the new Offensive coaching candidates.

Ha! That was my thought. I care about one Sports Illustrated writer's opinion...why? Just win, Baby.

Adrian is creaming in his pants. He gets to come back another year and make six figures with NIL, while having a shot at becoming the NCAA all-time turnover and career losses for a starting QB leader, or work at State Farm selling insurance. It's a win-win situation for him having his mentor and buddy return.

Nebraska gives up
Clickbait crap

Nebraska gives up
Cue the objections from the folks squeezed in their 1997 championship t-shirts that they wore over two decades ago when they were 50-100 pounds lighter and have not stepped out of the state since…

Nebraska gives up
I honestly couldn't care less what the national media thinks. They use out fanbase for clicks anyway. No decision was going to make everyone happy, they give him one more year and if we see the same shit they can him with absolutely no question about the decision.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It was written by Pat Forde - hardly someone who can’t get a crappy job - SI alone pays him 100k for just the mag/online. I suspect he makes several fold more than Mckeon and Sipple
He's a hack. Terrible writer. He knows that if he throws something at the wall critical of Nebraska that he'll get thousands of clicks within minutes. Dirtbag.

It was written by Pat Forde - hardly someone who can’t get a crappy job - SI alone pays him 100k for just the mag/online. I suspect he makes several fold more than Mckeon and Sipple

lol. Exactly. It was written by pat forde. Mizzou grad who’s been praying for the death of Nebraska football for decades and is still bitter about all of their beatings and loss of the coveted big ten conference dealt to his dear Missery by Nebraska.

Why any husker fan would give a shit what sports illustrated think about what's going on is beyond me.
It's how the rest of the college football world now sees us. Step out of the bubble. Denying or dismissing it is simply that: denial.

I would love to know about all the "secret" shit that encompassed this decision. Because in all honesty, it makes no sense to even the most biased of fan(s). As another poster stated, there will indeed be blowback from the fans on this one. I saw and heard it first-hand in the west stadium last Saturday.

Club level seats. Donors. The people that have kept this program churning during arguably the darkest years of Nebraska football. Even they have their limits. If "the people actually pulling the strings" don't give a shit about their opinions - they will. Soon.

For everyone's sake, I hope Frost can deliver. Because that stadium would look pretty ridiculous mostly empty.

Uhm Forde left ESPN for Yahoo Sports. I didn't even know Yahoo Sports existed until I looked up his bio. He wallowed around at Yahoo for about 8 or 9 years before landing at a nearly defunct SI, a couple of years ago.

Let's not pretend he is something he isn't. He has fathered a few good swimmers though. I think he daughter was an olympian.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It's how the rest of the college football world now sees us. Step out of the bubble. Denying or dismissing it is simply that: denial.

I would love to know about all the "secret" shit that encompassed this decision. Because in all honesty, it makes no sense to even the most biased of fan(s). As another poster stated, there will indeed be blowback from the fans on this one. I saw and heard it first-hand in the west stadium last Saturday.

Club level seats. Donors. The people that have kept this program churning during arguably the darkest years of Nebraska football. Even they have their limits. If "the people actually pulling the strings" don't give a shit about their opinions - they will. Soon.
The money is on board with this decision or it wouldn't have happened. IF it works it saves us a bunch of turmoil and money. IF it doesn't work out, it saves us a bunch of money. It will be interesting to see who the new staff will be.

The money is on board with this decision or it wouldn't have happened. IF it works it saves us a bunch of turmoil and money. IF it doesn't work out, it saves us a bunch of money. It will be interesting to see who the new staff will be.
I agree to a point. And realize my post came off as "fire Frost"-ish. In all honesty, I don't want him fired, I just don't understand the mentality behind this decision.

Perhaps it's jaded ex-lover syndrome, but the reasoning used by Nebraska in firing the previous 4 coaches - and keeping Frost - just makes no f*cking sense! 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT