ADVERTISEMENT

“Nebraska has admitted defeat” - Sports Illustrated

The money is on board with this decision or it wouldn't have happened. IF it works it saves us a bunch of turmoil and money. IF it doesn't work out, it saves us a bunch of money. It will be interesting to see who the new staff will be.

the money is on board in that they weren’t willing to pay the buyout - not because of a belief in Scott Frost but rather they simply weren’t going to sink that much more money into the program.

Trev explored his options and found that firing Frost wasn’t an option because he couldn’t come up with the money, and not because donors were rallying around Frost but rather apathy. The only option was to retain Frost at lower cost and fire the coaches now to provide cover when they finish with only 3 or 4 wins.

Hate on them all you want, but the article isnt wrong. No other blue blood program would do this. Probably no other p5 program outside of vandy would do this. We are in rare territory.

the money is on board in that they weren’t willing to pay the buyout - not because of a belief in Scott Frost but rather they simply weren’t going to sink that much more money into the program.

Trev explored his options and found that firing Frost wasn’t an option because he couldn’t come up with the money, and not because donors were rallying around Frost but rather apathy. The only option was to retain Frost at lower cost and fire the coaches now to provide cover when they finish with only 3 or 4 wins.
Trev doesn't have to "come up with the money". The money is there. He has to basically get approval for that kind of payout from higher up the chain. The mega donors and decision makers want to give Frost another year as I heard about a month ago would happen. IF Trev felt strongly that a change was necessary he could probably have persuaded his bosses that we had to go that way but I have always gotten the impression that Trev was going to ride with Frost as long as he could.

It was written by Pat Forde - hardly someone who can’t get a crappy job - SI alone pays him 100k for just the mag/online. I suspect he makes several fold more than Mckeon and Sipple
Pat Forde loves to write bad articles about Nebraska! Can't even take it serious now.

You got a source for that inside info....or just making things up.

Last edited:
I agree to a point. And realize my post came off as "fire Frost"-ish. In all honesty, I don't want him fired, I just don't understand the mentality behind this decision.

Perhaps it's jaded ex-lover syndrome, but the reasoning used by Nebraska in firing the previous 4 coaches - and keeping Frost - just makes no f*cking sense! 😂
You're trying to equate the past decisions where in each case different factions wanted the coach gone. Basically the "out of power camp" wanted the head coach gone in those cases. Frank was a little different in that it was some powerful boosters and Pedie who wanted him gone. Little did they know what the aftermath of that decision would be. Now we have an AD, upper administration, BOR and maybe most importantly the Tomfather who all are reluctant to fire Frost. They are united IMO versus the division we had ever since Pedie canned Frank. It's just a different dynamic. It is one of the reasons I think this might have been the best decision. I hope it works.

Didn't they name Bruce Jenner female athlete of the year or something?

They have zero credibility.
No. That was a "where are they now?" Issue. Pat forde is right. No other p5 program other than vandy would bring back frost with his record. I hope it works out because I wamt Nebraska to succeed, but it likely just further sets us back. Nobody alive would think Texas tech is a better footnall program than Nebraska yet they fired a coach with a similar record after 2.5 seasons knowing it wasnt working.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT