ADVERTISEMENT

4-20 scrimmage notes- single digit players

How does an entire fan base questioning if he is any good take pressure off him? That's what will happen if he doesn't start. The least amount of pressure is him starting. If he plays poorly he'll get a mulligan because he's young and inexperienced.
You don’t want a situation where you put a kid out there too early and destroy his confidence. I have no doubt Rhule will try to do what he thinks best for the kid and that’s why I’m not going to question it if he doesn’t start game 1.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
He’s at least an experienced backup if nothing else. People get so all or nothing on QBs. We still have some QB run in the offense. Damned glad we have him even if he never starts a game. I’m still not sure he won’t be the week one starter though.
Say it with me:

I will not drink margaritas and post on the board.

You don’t want a situation where you put a kid out there too early and destroy his confidence. I have no doubt Rhule will try to do what he thinks best for the kid and that’s why I’m not going to question it if he doesn’t start game 1.
This ain't intramurals brotha.

Reactions: kakdawg
Judging how Rhule danced around how the running backs are doing at the PC, I'd say 50/50 Barthel isn't coaching them next year.
The first and foremost issue with the running backs this Spring is it's the position with the most players being held out because of health recovery. A second issue is that there's a big emphasis on the passing game this Spring. That means fewer opportunities to run the ball while there's much more need to improve pass protection by running backs (which is usually more difficult for younger running backs to learn).

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The first and foremost issue with the running backs this Spring is it's the position with the most players being held out because of health recovery. A second issue is that there's a big emphasis on the passing game this Spring. That means fewer opportunities to run the ball while there's much more need to improve pass protection by running backs (which is usually more difficult for younger running backs to learn).
The room needs to develop. He has a couple of guys plagued by injuries which makes them unreliably. He has unproven guys and newcomers. He also has one versatile back in Johnson who is taking on the role of leader of the group. I hope he takes another step forward.

Last year we got dangerously thin at RB, and early in the season to boot. If the running game can be a strength (which he is really counting on) that takes pressure off our green QBs and Haarberg). The skill players on offense are still very raw.

EJ is physically talented enough to be the featured back on most B1G teams IMO. I’m not as concerned about RB as I am about QB. Neither position worries me very much.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
EJ is physically talented enough to be the featured back on most B1G teams IMO. I’m not as concerned about RB as I am about QB. Neither position worries me very much.
Actually I don't see a lack of roster talent at any of the positions this year. BUT the big issue for the Fall will be injuries. Injuries can quickly devastate a talented position group.

If HH (49 percent completion rate, 7 tds 7 ints to go along with 11 fumbles) beats out DR for the starting job, then DR, freshman or not, isn't what we thought he was. DR starts the first game and goes from there.
Bless your heart. Having played against P5 defenses is a huge advantage for a returning starter and it’s ignorant to think a QB can’t be better his second year in a system.

I would guess that Chief Borders and Jahmal Banks will get one.
They are definitely impressing and putting in the work! Also, I don’t know that it’s a given the other boys keep their numbers??? The bar has been raised since last year.

Bless your heart. Having played against P5 defenses is a huge advantage for a returning starter and it’s ignorant to think a QB can’t be better his second year in a system.
I think that only matters if you have the ability to beat P5 defenses...

HH has not show he can beat you with his arm. To think that he magically developed that ability in the last 4-5 months or only needs another 4 months to finish developing it is beyond naive.

Reactions: huskerj12
I like Lloyd a lot but what I like even more is the presence of many talented players at that position. As long as we aren't decimated by injuries (always a big IF) it will be very hard for the defenses to just focus on any single WR.
Jaylen "Ferrari" Lloyd for sure. Don't sleep on Demitrus Bell. Banks and Neyor will be quality players too.

I think that only matters if you have the ability to beat P5 defenses...

HH has not show he can beat you with his arm. To think that he magically developed that ability in the last 4-5 months or only needs another 4 months to finish developing it is beyond naive.
I saw it happen with Jeff Quinn at NU in the 70s so I’m not going to rule it out. I’m not lobbying for Haarberg. I was plenty critical of his play last year but having him in the QB room is a huge positive for us IMO. The play calling would likely be different for HH but I think his run threat helps balance some of his weakness in the pass game.

Anxious to see next week’s scrimmage game..Be interesting how they divide up the team or do consider a draft type?

8-12 TD’s sound’s like we’re going to have more potential scoring points next season and all 3 QB’s are making plays…

Way more weapons. It's kinda simple math. Neyor, Lloyd, Doss, Coleman,, Bell Barnette, etc.

Holla

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I like Lloyd a lot but what I like even more is the presence of many talented players at that position. As long as we aren't decimated by injuries (always a big IF) it will be very hard for the defenses to just focus on any single WR.
The WRs need to show up and prove they can get separation before I'm going to get excited about any of them. They've shown they're pretty raw.

Actually I don't see a lack of roster talent at any of the positions this year. BUT the big issue for the Fall will be injuries. Injuries can quickly devastate a talented position group.

I see a lack of talent at RB. Everywhere else I tend to agree with you. I think we have too many "JAGs" in the RB room. We need to find a way to recruit or sign a differencemaker or two.

Holla

Ah
I see a lack of talent at RB. Everywhere else I tend to agree with you. I think we have too many "JAGs" in the RB room. We need to find a way to recruit or sign a differencemaker or two.

Holla
Ahmam Green was at the scrimmage Saturday and said emmet Johnson was the best running back Nebraska had for years.

Ah

Ahmam Green was at the scrimmage Saturday and said emmet Johnson was the best running back Nebraska had for years.
Not sure where you saw that. Rhule said that Green told him that Johnson stands out, not that he's the best running back that Nebraska has had for years.

Reactions: kakdawg and WHCSC

Holla

Holla
I think the bigger problem at RB last season was injuries. Granted staying healthy is a challenge but if the RB's can remain relatively healthy I think we'll be fine at the position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT