ADVERTISEMENT

4-20 scrimmage notes- single digit players

-ran about 200 plays today in scrimmage-guys with a lot of game reps rested today, but Coach doesn’t want to say “rest” because that sounds soft-“this was the most dominant day we’ve had on offense… ever.”-explosive plays, big plays, one fumble-we didn’t run the ball good however-“all three QB’s played really well”-In-helmet communication with QB’s is “transformational”-still talking about eliminate the lowlights, real game reps are different-important to see how QB’s handle frustration - references Charlie Brewer’s resilience at Baylor-can’t name a starting QB today, want to give them all a fair shot-Coach Rhule yelled at the entire team, not just the defense, for the lack of energy at last weekends scrimmage-look at the effort in scrimmages, not the result-can’t wait to watch the film-“we’re really hard to play against on defense”-Jahmal Banks and Isaiah Neyor played in the scrimmage today - “[Jahmal Banks] certainly makes an impact when he’s out there”-helmet communication allows every QB to get mental reps, not just the starter-Heinrich Haarberg progressions as a passer is “light years ahead” compared to last year -“you see a guy that’s way more comfortable”-you’ll see teams go even faster on offense as a result of helmet communication, trying to outpace the defense using signals-coaches can talk to the QB until there’s 15 seconds left on the play clock-there can only be one “green dot” on the field - green dot is a helmet with communication-good 3rd down defense boils down to rushing with 4 and playing man coverage-have to be able to defend QB run as well-looking to make teams check it down on 3rd down out of fear of our defense-“Chief Borders is probably the most improved player on our team”-“why would you go anywhere else” when asked what it says about our culture that no one has entered the transfer portal-mentions elite facilities, education, press coverage, fans, etc.-“we have it so good here”-Coach Rhule goes on and on about how much he loves Nebraska, not just the school but the state as well-OL consistency has been good, especially pass protection-OL run game needs to improve still-Micah Mazzcua did not scrimmage-RB room is still developing -“steps to be made”-Emmett Johnson is so consistent, Ahman Green is a fan of him as well-Blye Hill and Tommi Hill would be the starters today at DB

I wasn’t there, but I definitely think a lot of this is Rhule trying to pump up the confidence within the offense, while also refusing to let the defense become complacent.
Yep!

This is praising your dumb kid for his C+ and yelling at your smart kid for his A-.

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
How does the run game look? RB & OL? That is most of my concern along with who is calling the plays.

Reactions: kakdawg
HH could end up being a legit handful at the qb spot. I'll happily eat crow if that's the case.
He’s at least an experienced backup if nothing else. People get so all or nothing on QBs. We still have some QB run in the offense. Damned glad we have him even if he never starts a game. I’m still not sure he won’t be the week one starter though.

He’s at least an experienced backup if nothing else. People get so all or nothing on QBs. We still have some QB run in the offense. Damned glad we have him even if he never starts a game. I’m still not sure he won’t be the week one starter though.
I don’t think he starts the first game. I don’t think DR is here to ride the bench. Plus UTEP SHOULD be a game to get him confidence and a win.

I don’t think he starts the first game. I don’t think DR is here to ride the bench. Plus UTEP SHOULD be a game to get him confidence and a win.
On the other hand, if you run Haarberg out there to start, you take a lot of pressure off of Raiola. I could see a scenario where we alternate QBs. I’m wide open on how Rhule handles this. It will be interesting to watch. I agree that Raiola is likely the day one starter but won’t be completely shocked if he’s not.

On the other hand, if you run Haarberg out there to start, you take a lot of pressure off of Raiola. I could see a scenario where we alternate QBs. I’m wide open on how Rhule handles this. It will be interesting to watch. I agree that Raiola is likely the day one starter but won’t be completely shocked if he’s not.
I’m good with alternating QBs. In fact, I think our D puts the clamps on most offenses in the early part of the season and there won’t be a lot of pressure on our QB to win the game. Plus, every position on Offense improves significantly and makes it easier for our QB(s).

Reactions: bomber89
How does an entire fan base questioning if he is any good take pressure off him? That's what will happen if he doesn't start. The least amount of pressure is him starting. If he plays poorly he'll get a mulligan because he's young and inexperienced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT