ADVERTISEMENT

Upsets during the Osborne years

Contrary to the current state of the program, where if you just go off of recruiting, nearly all of our losses are upsets, and lots of them.

That ASU team finished 11-1 that year. Upset at the time but I wouldn’t consider it a big upset in retrospect
ASU almost won the national title that year but Ohio State took the ball 75 yards in the last minute and a half to nip them in the Rose Bowl. That was an excellent ASU team with Jake the Snake at the helm.

At Iowa in 81. They preceded to lose the next week to ISU, then games to Minnesota and Illinois in conference. Got shut out in bowl game vs Washington. Want to think Hayden wasn’t going to let Iowa native Roger Craig beat them, so sold out to stuff the run.
Iowa did have a good defense that year. But a weak offense. Kind of like their current squad.

The Iowa loss was a major upset as Iowa's program had not had any recent success. But the next year, we beat them something like 56-7.
After the 56-7 game in Lincoln Hayden "Crybaby" Fry accused Husker assistant Jerry Moore of stealing his playbook since they coached together at SMU. I'm sure that had a lot to do with his defense allowing 56 points that day. Jarvis Redwine went 78 yards untouched off tackle on the opening play from scrimmage. I am sure that supposed stolen playbook would have changed who won that game.

After the 56-7 game in Lincoln Hayden "Crybaby" Fry accused Husker assistant Jerry Moore of stealing his playbook since they coached together at SMU. I'm sure that had a lot to do with his defense allowing 56 points that day. Jarvis Redwine went 78 yards untouched off tackle on the opening play from scrimmage. I am sure that supposed stolen playbook would have changed who won that game.
The 82 score was 42-7.. 1980 score Nebraska won 57-0..

The quote Hayden Fry said after the games was “We have Nebraska right where we want them off our schedule“

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
That ASU team finished 11-1 that year. Upset at the time but I wouldn’t consider it a big upset in retrospect
Yes I agree to an extent. NU destroyed ASU 77-24 in '95 (AFAICR, Didnt look it up). But, in '96 it did come out that many players were down with the flu and NU was not at 100%.

That said, it was a VERY shocking upset. ASwho not only knocked us off,but shut #1 us out... on the same field we won the 95 title on.

Yes I agree to an extent. NU destroyed ASU 77-24 in '95 (AFAICR, Didnt look it up). But, in '96 it did come out that many players were down with the flu and NU was not at 100%.

That said, it was a VERY shocking upset. ASwho not only knocked us off,but shut #1 us out... on the same field we won the 95 title on.
It was embarrassing. Wasn't it Frost's first game?

Looking back it is amazing how those teams under Osborne simply took care of business against lesser teams - not many upsets

92 - Iowa state
84 - Syracuse

others?

78 - mizzou (although that was a pretty good team)
78 Missoui was a good team. Wilder, Winslow and co. we’re pretty damned salty. The ISU loss was by the far the biggest upset that I remember.

Reactions: kidofSN
So he does know what it's like to be .500 🤣

3k1i.gif

I think it is still a big upset in retrospect... I don't want to take to much away from ASU because there were alot of great players on that team, but Nebraska beat those same guys 77-28 the year before... ASU in 1996 beat a 9-3 Washington team game 1 and upset Nebraska on a pretty strange night which gave them a great deal of momentum heading into IMO a very poor PAC10 conference slate...

1990 Nebraska vs Oklahoma. No one expected Oklahoma to win 45-10.
UMM, my brother was scout team QB that week, he called me at my hotel in Dallas where I was playing for the Great Plains Select Side in a Western Region Championship rugby tournament he says to me jokingly of course "BET THE FARM ON OU & MAKE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN" - I asked what happened, he said I just played QB v the #1's in a scrimmage and we scored 11 TD's,....after an awkward pause, I asked how many plays were scripted, he said well about 35 but we ran 5 or 6 multiple times, they still couldn't stop us & I'm no Wishbone QB (hell he wasn't even a QB at all, just a #4 SE)...so yea, people knew/ expected. He gave a guy name Pickens the nickname Easy.....but even "all" those future NFL players needed to get an education somewhere.....11th & Vine - where all those former HS hot shots used to go to become just another number......

Side note: that former #4 SE, would later volunteer coach a 9th grader one season at Hanahan HS, SC, players senior year MVP speech he thanked the most important coach he ever had - that #4 SE from Nebraska. Then he went to Notre Dame played there and was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys, Chris Brown.

Reactions: huntered
Iowa did have a good defense that year. But a weak offense. Kind of like their current squad.

Very good front 7 lead by all-American Andre Tippett and S Bobby Stoops went on to become a pretty good coach.

Iowa's offense was weak is saying it mildly. Punter Reggie Roby was a.huge weapon in Kinnick that day. "Punting is winning" before they actually put it on a t-shirt.

10-7 win for Hawkeyes. Iowa went on to finish 8-4 and go to Rose Bowl 🌹

Past 11 seasons didn't resemble 1979 to 1982 in this series.

Majority of the fan base knows that Iowa St in 92 was the only losing team Osborne lost to during his 25 years at Nebraska..

One of Osborne biggest losses was to Syracuse in 1984 after beating UCLA 42-7 ( I was at this game, my first of 5 games in Pasadena) Nebraska was a heavy favorite and ranked #1 in the country and the year before beat Syracuse 63-7.. It was one of the worst played game by any of Osborne’s teams I have ever seen that day losing 3 turnovers and only managing a little over 200 yards of total offense…
I was at that game and your right they sucked. In the Dome it was loud and supposedly the team was ravaged by the flu—whatever, it was rough.

we need gregory, westercamp and that guy last year who caught every thing..
all on the feild at the same time, this 1 reciver with hands per year ain't gettin er done.

Very good front 7 lead by all-American Andre Tippett and S Bobby Stoops went on to become a pretty good coach.

Iowa's offense was weak is saying it mildly. Punter Reggie Roby was a.huge weapon in Kinnick that day. "Punting is winning" before they actually put it on a t-shirt.

10-7 win for Hawkeyes. Iowa went on to finish 8-4 and go to Rose Bowl 🌹

Past 11 seasons didn't resemble 1979 to 1982 in this series.
I think you mean past 7 seasons didn’t resemble 1979-1982..

78 Missoui was a good team. Wilder, Winslow and co. we’re pretty damned salty. The ISU loss was by the far the biggest upset that I remember.
I watched the 92 season a couple years ago and when I got to the ISU game, it just didn't look like the same team. Just completely off. Even though I knew the result, I was thinking "they're too talented to play this poorly, eventually they'll bust through," and it never happened.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
If I remember correctly, the 1986 loss at Colorado was the same day that Bill Buckner misplayed the ball at first base in the World Series vs the Mets. I watched from the hotel room when I was 13.

If I remember correctly, the 1986 loss at Colorado was the same day that Bill Buckner misplayed the ball at first base in the World Series vs the Mets. I watched from the hotel room when I was 13.
Yep, October 25!

The amazing stats about Osborne's 25-year career against Big Eight teams:
  • 25-0 versus Kansas
  • 25-0 versus Kansas State
  • 22-0-1 versus Oklahoma State
  • 22-3 versus Iowa State
  • 21-3-1 versus Colorado
  • 21-4 versus Missouri
  • 13-13 versus Oklahoma
Granted, some of those programs were bad, but to never slip up against KU, KSU and OSU, and to dominate some otherwise decent programs such as CU and Mizzou, and to break even with a fellow blueblood with a history of breaking rules — that's impressive, course. But you knew that already.

• 25-0 versus Kansas
  • 22-3 versus Iowa State
  • 21-3-1 versus Colorado
  • 21-4 versus Missouri
  • 13-13 versus Oklahoma
Granted, some of those programs were bad, but to never slip up against KU, KSU and OSU, and to dominate some otherwise decent programs such as CU and Mizzou, and to break even with a fellow blueblood with a history of breaking rules — that's impressive, course. But you knew that already.
Thus the reason it seems every game they lost under Tom was considered an upset. Currently, if we win a game against teams other than Fordham and Bethune Cookman, it's considered an upset.

Right year, wrong team. Texas 96. We were 21 point favorites. That 4th & 1 still gives me pain to think about

Also note- had we played Arizona State in Lincoln or later in the year, we’d have bitch slapped them. They caught us flat. D did everything it needed to win that night. Also think we’d have won that night if Frankie London was QB. Frost pissed himself and our O-Line was pretty new IIRC

• 25-0 versus Kansas
  • 22-3 versus Iowa State
  • 21-3-1 versus Colorado
  • 21-4 versus Missouri
  • 13-13 versus Oklahoma
TO’s win/lost record against winning teams is something to look at and compare against other great coaches.

His win record against losing teams is a very high percentage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT