ADVERTISEMENT

Time to pump the breaks on this seasons expectations?

Optimism for Nebraska football is literally the definition of a bad decision, especially if optimism leads to cynicism. There isn't a single data point that would lead to the logical conclusion that we will win more than 3 games. Every other team works out, works as hard as us, has millionaire coaches who are professionals, experienced, fan bases who are rabid, and all of our opponents have a few good players, and a bunch of average d1 guys who won't play beyond this level. I am pretty confident we would have been winless without Trey Palmer last year and we lost our top two defensive players on top of losing our starting qb and our all-american level WR. The only good news is there is a lot of roster turnover everywhere else and so losing players are replaced with guys who haven't lost yet. Sadly this isn't a single coach problem, the losing was historical under Mike R as well and was compounded by Frosty. I'll watch every game and enjoy the 3 wins and well played losses and hope for a day when games might matter in November and December. But it will be a while.
What your saying isn’t wrong, but the main advantage most of the teams we have been losing to by a few points or a possession or a turnover was coaching. Most of those teams didn’t have substanially better talent or recruits. If you think Rhule is no better than Frost then expect the same results.

If you think his record in college is proof he can turn it around here then expect better beginning this year, even if it’s not playing for a championship in November right away.

What your saying isn’t wrong, but the main advantage most of the teams we have been losing to by a few points or a possession or a turnover was coaching. Most of those teams didn’t have substanially better talent or recruits. If you think Rhule is no better than Frost then expect the same results.

If you think his record in college is proof he can turn it around here then expect better beginning this year, even if it’s not playing for a championship in November right away.
The coaching has to be better on offense. Pitt coach was right. Whipple's style isn't conducive to winning. You have to think special teams improves. Foley seems legit and Rhule seems to actually place value on special teams.

The twittet BetMGM national title odds are click bait. These guys love the gullible Nebraska fans. Vegas Insider shows Nebraska ranking somewhere in the 40s to win it all. Colorado has better odds. The list of shit teams in front of Nebraska is pure comedy.

The roster is manageable but will be lucky to place 3rd in the west. Rhule is gonna have some humble pie this year.
When I think humble pie, I think of a bragger who gets comeuppance … I guess I don’t see Rhule spouting off about how great we will be this year

This is the same Cornhusker Juan that was talking shit to Malachi and His mom in their DMs when he hadn't committed. He's also dragged some others on twitter long ago.. He's a clown

Agree. This guy is a fvcktard. Does nothing but run his mouth and talk shit. Lives in his moms basement and screws her cats...he's that type of guy. Nothing to see here

Is that guy the same shittard as Juan effing Dixon? Moron. Douche fuking nozzle.

Back to the point though, our roster is indeed not great on paper, especially O line.
But, the intangibles: new staff, new schemes, new QB with P5 starting experience, some good young new players, weak division.
We can win 6-7 games, and I expect to frankly… I don’t expect 9+ nor do I expect under 5.

Could I see us winning just 5 or as many as 8? Sure. But I think 6-7 is totally reasonable.
Juan is definitely an iowa fan.

Well any and all pre-season predictions, good or bad, are totally worthless at this point. As they've always been every pre-season. But of course it does no good to lecture anyone about those predictions because people live for making those type of speculations. I hope for a change the results blow the pre-season predictions out of the water in a positive way but yes that's still a hope right now, not a prediction.

"My 6-6 predication was generous" is a stupid statement.
First off, it's "prediction".
Secondly, when someone makes a prediction like this, it's generally supposed to be representative of their most likely result.
That's why it's a prediction and not a "hot take" or whatever.

Completely changing systems on both sides of the ball is my main concern and has been from day one. We have plenty of talent to win 7-8 games. It’s a matter of guys learning the schemes so they can play fast.
Meh.: remember when TO switched from 5-2 to 4-3.. yeah, worked out pretty well

Optimism for Nebraska football is literally the definition of a bad decision, especially if optimism leads to cynicism. There isn't a single data point that would lead to the logical conclusion that we will win more than 3 games. Every other team works out, works as hard as us, has millionaire coaches who are professionals, experienced, fan bases who are rabid, and all of our opponents have a few good players, and a bunch of average d1 guys who won't play beyond this level. I am pretty confident we would have been winless without Trey Palmer last year and we lost our top two defensive players on top of losing our starting qb and our all-american level WR. The only good news is there is a lot of roster turnover everywhere else and so losing players are replaced with guys who haven't lost yet. Sadly this isn't a single coach problem, the losing was historical under Mike R as well and was compounded by Frosty. I'll watch every game and enjoy the 3 wins and well played losses and hope for a day when games might matter in November and December. But it will be a while.
Iowa sucks

Nothing has changed. Offense has a ton of potential. Defense is a question mark for me. If Sims is ok to good and stays healthy then things could get interesting on O. Grant is good. Ervin is a quality backup. Depth at wr with lots of different body types and skill sets. TE has tons of potential. Oline is a question mark but Scott and Nouelli should help big time.
Ervin will beat out Grant. Ervin 6'0 222 lbs and runs a 4.4. Bigger, stronger and way faster than Grant and that is fact.

Nothing has changed. Offense has a ton of potential. Defense is a question mark for me. If Sims is ok to good and stays healthy then things could get interesting on O. Grant is good. Ervin is a quality backup. Depth at wr with lots of different body types and skill sets. TE has tons of potential. Oline is a question mark but Scott and Nouelli should help big time.
We actually got worse at some of the skill positions. Certainly depth wise too. While the recruiting class is shaping up nicely and I'm super happy with the DK pickup at QB, those recruits won't be an impact for a couple years.

We could very well do worse this year and after all the lip service MR has been doing the past 8 months, I am not so sure the fan base won't turn on him pretty quickly if things are even worse than last year.

I didn't like the hire, but I've been in wait and see mode, and my one big criticism so far is how the shakeup in the QB and RB rooms have gone along with not hiring a top flight OL coach. Those are 3 things that give me a lot of pause on how the offense is going to go this year.

Add to that, all the lip service the fan base has been fed on running the ball and fullbacks, and then he's bringing in Pro style QB's and lots of WR's. There is a disconnect between the messaging and what's actually being done. That too will come back to bite him, if he doesn't win.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
We actually got worse at some of the skill positions. Certainly depth wise too. While the recruiting class is shaping up nicely and I'm super happy with the DK pickup at QB, those recruits won't be an impact for a couple years.

We could very well do worse this year and after all the lip service MR has been doing the past 8 months, I am not so sure the fan base won't turn on him pretty quickly if things are even worse than last year.

I didn't like the hire, but I've been in wait and see mode, and my one big criticism so far is how the shakeup in the QB and RB rooms have gone along with not hiring a top flight OL coach. Those are 3 things that give me a lot of pause on how the offense is going to go this year.

Add to that, all the lip service the fan base has been fed on running the ball and fullbacks, and then he's bringing in Pro style QB's and lots of WR's. There is a disconnect between the messaging and what's actually being done. That too will come back to bite him, if he doesn't win.
What does a pro style QB have to do with running the ball and fullbacks? He will also be utilized in the running game. That makes zero sense. But I am sure you are salivating for Rhule to fail. Your posting says as much.

Ervin will beat out Grant. Ervin 6'0 222 lbs and runs a 4.4. Bigger, stronger and way faster than Grant and that is fact.
I would be happy to be wrong but I like Grant. I get that he danced behind the line last year and he doesn't have burner top end speed. But I think he gets no slack for having a terrible scheme, with a worse play caller, and a bad oline.

Reactions: BleedRed78

We lost Palmer and CT. CT was hurt an awful lot. Sims is a grown man compared to him so hopefully he is durable. I'm hoping Betts can replace Palmer as the deep threat.

Rhule wants to run the ball with the rb by having a good line. Not beating a qb to death by running them into the ground. I don't think he's married to a qb style. Looks like he'll take the best he can get and tweak the offense as needed.

Remember when Brandon Jackson was a 4th stringer behind Lucky, Glenn and Wilson? He had the vision that the other 3 lacked.
Ervin Started showing that vision as Freshman before and during the game against OU when he went down for the year. He's now back to 100%. Notice how much Rhule has said about him as he absolutely loves that guy, but hardly any peep out of him about Grant.

Reactions: dinglefritz

I am not understanding you problem with the RB room. I don't see a shake up there. The QB room was going to shrink regardless of what HC, OC or offense that would be run. I think the WR room is going to be an upgrade over last year. I think the offense in general will be more efficient and will have a game plan from day 1. I have no reason to not believe Rhule when he says the focus of the offense will be to run the ball. A team can have a lot of WRs and still run the ball. I can somewhat see the OL coach thing. I am sure Frost hired Raiola originally to get Dylan in the fold, I would also not be surprised if Rhule keeping him around wasn't also partially based on keeping Dylan in the fold. Where I differ in that aspect, is that Rhule has a plan, he had a plan at Temple and he had a plan at Baylor. The lip service he gave at those schools matched what the final product on the field looked like. Why do you think he is all of a sudden going to lie when he gets to Nebraska?

I am actually pretty excited about the defense. When I listened to Chinander talk, I never got the idea that he had a game plan or hell, even a true scheme that he was trying to run. When listening to White, he, like Rhule, has a plan and has an idea on how he wants to use individual players.

I am cautiously optimistic about the 2023 season. I will no pump the brakes at all, I am expecting to make a trip to the bowl game, wherever that may be.

I am not understanding you problem with the RB room. I don't see a shake up there. The QB room was going to shrink regardless of what HC, OC or offense that would be run. I think the WR room is going to be an upgrade over last year. I think the offense in general will be more efficient and will have a game plan from day 1. I have no reason to not believe Rhule when he says the focus of the offense will be to run the ball. A team can have a lot of WRs and still run the ball. I can somewhat see the OL coach thing. I am sure Frost hired Raiola originally to get Dylan in the fold, I would also not be surprised if Rhule keeping him around wasn't also partially based on keeping Dylan in the fold. Where I differ in that aspect, is that Rhule has a plan, he had a plan at Temple and he had a plan at Baylor. The lip service he gave at those schools matched what the final product on the field looked like. Why do you think he is all of a sudden going to lie when he gets to Nebraska?

I am actually pretty excited about the defense. When I listened to Chinander talk, I never got the idea that he had a game plan or hell, even a true scheme that he was trying to run. When listening to White, he, like Rhule, has a plan and has an idea on how he wants to use individual players.

I am cautiously optimistic about the 2023 season. I will no pump the brakes at all, I am expecting to make a trip to the bowl game, wherever that may be.
My prob with the RB room is he let 2 talented guys walk, and kept a guy that never really produces meaningful results on the field. So we went from a position of strength in that room, to what I would consider average.

Grant looked good for just a few games last year, then something was off with him. Don't know. I'm hoping Ervin will stay healthy, we need him to. The third sting guy should be playing for Iowa State, not Nebraska. So we have no proven commodity at that position.

As to QB, CT was very good at throwing the ball, not much of a runner but he could deliver the ball accurately. Now you have a guy who can probably see the field better, but doesn't have the same accuracy. His passing is not going to be nearly as sharp or reliable as CT. Last year, we could rely and did rely on CT to bring the big play, because we couldn't run the ball at all.

Now you are going to have a potentially weaker passing game, reducing the ability to live off the big play. Along with this, you have weaker depth in the run game.

This adds to up an offense that will have more trouble moving the ball than in '22.

I don't really care that Matt is bringing in guys that are pro style and lots of WR's.. We are swapping out Palmer for Kemp, maybe that room is upgraded or the same.. It wasn't part of my critique for the offensive success/failure above.

As to what Matt is saying, I'm just stating that there is a bit of a disconnect and that if he doesn't win, people will bring this up. That's fairly easy to understand. If he wins, nobody is going to care about it right?

The real elephant in the room is the Offensive line. A couple of new pieces here, but should we expect drastic changes that would help the running game and open up the passing game? I'm reluctant to put too much faith in a big turnaround at this position, although it could happen. If it did, and we could really run the ball well, that would be the ideal situation for the entire offense to lean on.

Ervin Started showing that vision as Freshman before and during the game against OU when he went down for the year. He's now back to 100%. Notice how much Rhule has said about him as he absolutely loves that guy, but hardly any peep out of him about Grant.
I hope he does kickass, been too long to remember seeing him run. I don’t want to right off Grant, want to see what he can do behind a hopefully improved oline

Reactions: Wyldcard
We lost Palmer and CT. CT was hurt an awful lot. Sims is a grown man compared to him so hopefully he is durable. I'm hoping Betts can replace Palmer as the deep threat.

Rhule wants to run the ball with the rb by having a good line. Not beating a qb to death by running them into the ground. I don't think he's married to a qb style. Looks like he'll take the best he can get and tweak the offense as needed.
Sims was hurt just as much last year if not more than CT. I hope he is more durable, but that remains to be seen. I see Kemp as the replacement for Palmer.. to me the WR room is a push from last year.

I don't mind Rhule saying he wants to run the ball. I just don't see what he has done to back that statement up, other than run a couple of fullback plays in the spring game.

He can say "I want to run the ball" and then recruit pro style QB's and top WR's all he wants to as far as I'm concerned.. as long as he wins games, nobody is going to care.

Reactions: king_kong_
Sims was hurt just as much last year if not more than CT. I hope he is more durable, but that remains to be seen. I see Kemp as the replacement for Palmer.. to me the WR room is a push from last year.

I don't mind Rhule saying he wants to run the ball. I just don't see what he has done to back that statement up, other than run a couple of fullback plays in the spring game.

He can say "I want to run the ball" and then recruit pro style QB's and top WR's all he wants to as far as I'm concerned.. as long as he wins games, nobody is going to care.
Kemps supposedly a slot guy, but he has proven to be a weapon. I don't think we have anyone with Palmers speed, but icg and betz are pretty talented.

I think what people are forgetting is hopefully having a coaching staff that actually is on the same page. Yes, we'll have to see how this staff works together (it's untested right now) but it was clear to me that was NOT the case last year. One of the insights from Rhule on last years offense is that the OC wasn't calling plays to optimize the OL performance. And on Defense with the switch between DC's during the season, it didn't help the consistency. So personally, I think coaching is a big difference. More so than all the speculation about the players. JMO.

Just more proof the “rivalry” is one-sided

Imagine a Nebraska fan posing as an iowa fan? Never

Heck, we have many folks here who proudly admit they root for both teams. I don’t believe the iowa contingent can say the same.
I went on their board’s game thread against us after the game (with this handle) , read through it and simply love and laugh reacted at the posts where they were shitting their pants and I got banned just for that. I didn’t post a single thing. Super worth it 😁

Kemps supposedly a slot guy, but he has proven to be a weapon. I don't think we have anyone with Palmers speed, but icg and betz are pretty talented.
Fleeks is supposed to be fast but I don't think he's Palmer fast. Plus I think he's another slot type. Betts isn't as fast as Palmer but he's bigger and hopefully has better hands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT