ADVERTISEMENT

Time to pump the breaks on this seasons expectations?

I am not understanding you problem with the RB room. I don't see a shake up there. The QB room was going to shrink regardless of what HC, OC or offense that would be run. I think the WR room is going to be an upgrade over last year. I think the offense in general will be more efficient and will have a game plan from day 1. I have no reason to not believe Rhule when he says the focus of the offense will be to run the ball. A team can have a lot of WRs and still run the ball. I can somewhat see the OL coach thing. I am sure Frost hired Raiola originally to get Dylan in the fold, I would also not be surprised if Rhule keeping him around wasn't also partially based on keeping Dylan in the fold. Where I differ in that aspect, is that Rhule has a plan, he had a plan at Temple and he had a plan at Baylor. The lip service he gave at those schools matched what the final product on the field looked like. Why do you think he is all of a sudden going to lie when he gets to Nebraska?

I am actually pretty excited about the defense. When I listened to Chinander talk, I never got the idea that he had a game plan or hell, even a true scheme that he was trying to run. When listening to White, he, like Rhule, has a plan and has an idea on how he wants to use individual players.

I am cautiously optimistic about the 2023 season. I will no pump the brakes at all, I am expecting to make a trip to the bowl game, wherever that may be.
My exact thoughts. Everything Rhule said at the initial press conference has been true. Sustaining drives means opportunities for more playmakers. Having a qb be the majority of the offense or throwing bombs to one wr means less chances to keep other players happy. We can absolutely be efficient at passing while being a running team.

I think the defense lacks depth and upperclassmen NFL talent but I have faith in White. We actually have a young coordinator for once who is experienced and other programs wanted.

I find it kind of humorous that all what all the naysayers do right now is bitch about the players and their perceived talent shortcomings. Yet before the last staff was fired most people were bitching about the coaching staff. We have a new staff now (as well as a very hefty roster turnover). But I hardly see that new staff mentioned as a positive by the naysayers this year vs. last year in this particular thread. Go figure.

Personally I blamed the staff more than the players last year for the poor results. I still believe the new staff is better but we have to wait to see the results. I've never thought for the last few years under Frost that player talent was the biggest problem. Maybe I was wrong thinking it was the old staff but I guess we'll see.

We actually got worse at some of the skill positions. Certainly depth wise too. While the recruiting class is shaping up nicely and I'm super happy with the DK pickup at QB, those recruits won't be an impact for a couple years.

We could very well do worse this year and after all the lip service MR has been doing the past 8 months, I am not so sure the fan base won't turn on him pretty quickly if things are even worse than last year.

I didn't like the hire, but I've been in wait and see mode, and my one big criticism so far is how the shakeup in the QB and RB rooms have gone along with not hiring a top flight OL coach. Those are 3 things that give me a lot of pause on how the offense is going to go this year.

Add to that, all the lip service the fan base has been fed on running the ball and fullbacks, and then he's bringing in Pro style QB's and lots of WR's. There is a disconnect between the messaging and what's actually being done. That too will come back to bite him, if he doesn't win.
I think You've hated this hire since day one. What's wrong with the qb and rb rooms?

What messaging? Where has Rhule had a pass first team?

My prob with the RB room is he let 2 talented guys walk, and kept a guy that never really produces meaningful results on the field. So we went from a position of strength in that room, to what I would consider average.

Grant looked good for just a few games last year, then something was off with him. Don't know. I'm hoping Ervin will stay healthy, we need him to. The third sting guy should be playing for Iowa State, not Nebraska. So we have no proven commodity at that position.

As to QB, CT was very good at throwing the ball, not much of a runner but he could deliver the ball accurately. Now you have a guy who can probably see the field better, but doesn't have the same accuracy. His passing is not going to be nearly as sharp or reliable as CT. Last year, we could rely and did rely on CT to bring the big play, because we couldn't run the ball at all.

Now you are going to have a potentially weaker passing game, reducing the ability to live off the big play. Along with this, you have weaker depth in the run game.

This adds to up an offense that will have more trouble moving the ball than in '22.

I don't really care that Matt is bringing in guys that are pro style and lots of WR's.. We are swapping out Palmer for Kemp, maybe that room is upgraded or the same.. It wasn't part of my critique for the offensive success/failure above.

As to what Matt is saying, I'm just stating that there is a bit of a disconnect and that if he doesn't win, people will bring this up. That's fairly easy to understand. If he wins, nobody is going to care about it right?

The real elephant in the room is the Offensive line. A couple of new pieces here, but should we expect drastic changes that would help the running game and open up the passing game? I'm reluctant to put too much faith in a big turnaround at this position, although it could happen. If it did, and we could really run the ball well, that would be the ideal situation for the entire offense to lean on.
If a kid is gonna leave he's gonna leave..
Skill positions got worse?? What?

QB room is a question mark for sure but with better coaching I'd say a wash or just below that

We don't know how talented Ajay really is. He had 4 solid games but got hurt and that's all we know of him.. Yant doesn't do school or study playbooks and wasn't better than Ervin or Grant.

WR room a wash?
We lost Palmer. Brought back ICG and Betts from the edge of the cliff.. #2 WR is back in Washington and added a Top 100 player that from all accounts seems to be potential for an immediate impact. Add in a true slot receiver with 4 years P5 experience

TE room will be better IF and HOPEFULLY Fidone stays healthy.. Gilbert gets his waiver and it's already better than last year.

Go back to beating and berating your wife over in Thailand or wherever you are

Sims was hurt just as much last year if not more than CT. I hope he is more durable, but that remains to be seen. I see Kemp as the replacement for Palmer.. to me the WR room is a push from last year.

I don't mind Rhule saying he wants to run the ball. I just don't see what he has done to back that statement up, other than run a couple of fullback plays in the spring game.

He can say "I want to run the ball" and then recruit pro style QB's and top WR's all he wants to as far as I'm concerned.. as long as he wins games, nobody is going to care.
He took one QB who is a better athlete than some give credit for. You don’t need Frazier at QB to run the ball.

He took one QB who is a better athlete than some give credit for. You don’t need Frazier at QB to run the ball.
Last time I checked you don't even need a running qb at all to have a good rushing attack. I don't seem to remember Wisconsin having a mobile qb all the years they ran all over us. Rhule wants it to start with line play. Then you don't need to try and find a 4.4 qb who can pass just to try and move the chains.

Last time I checked you don't even need a running qb at all to have a good rushing attack. I don't seem to remember Wisconsin having a mobile qb all the years they ran all over us. Rhule wants it to start with line play. Then you don't need to try and find a 4.4 qb who can pass just to try and move the chains.
We don’t even know if DK will ever even play. IF Sims has a good year it will open doors to other talented QBs. Brook Berringer could effectively run option and he’s the former NU QB who comes to my mind when I look at DK.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'm not as thrilled for this season as many seem to be. i expect maybe a 7 win season at best, which for me isn't that exciting.

i like the renewed enthusiasm. that's good to see.

the new tOS is severely lacking quality posters like @scopeandtime.

i kind of agree.

• Haha
Based on Rhule's track record at previous schools, I fully expect this upcoming season to be rougher than what most seem to be expecting. I am going to wait until closer to the season starting to actually make a season wins/losses prediction but will say that my ultimate goal for this season is for Nebraska to make a bowl game.

This program has been pretty terrible for almost a decade so I don't expect a quick fix even if I like the roster additions they've made via the transfer portal and high school recruits. I hate to preach patience but it feels appropriate given the last 7 years of Riley & Frost. I hope to see both individual player growth as well as unit specific growth as the season goes along. If they can make it to a bowl game and get those extra practices, even better.

Based on Rhule's track record at previous schools, I fully expect this upcoming season to be rougher than what most seem to be expecting. I am going to wait until closer to the season starting to actually make a season wins/losses prediction but will say that my ultimate goal for this season is for Nebraska to make a bowl game.

This program has been pretty terrible for almost a decade so I don't expect a quick fix even if I like the roster additions they've made via the transfer portal and high school recruits. I hate to preach patience but it feels appropriate given the last 7 years of Riley & Frost. I hope to see both individual player growth as well as unit specific growth as the season goes along. If they can make it to a bowl game and get those extra practices, even better.
While I see the correlation I think there are some differences that put Nebraska in a better starting point than where Temple and Baylor were when Rhule arrived.

At Temple they had just moved from the MAC to the Big East. His first year was the school’s 2nd in the league. While the Big East wasn’t a juggernaut of a league the roster wasn’t where it needed to be to compete.

At Baylor, that program was decimated by the trouble Briles left and there were mass defections after the school fired Briles. I don’t know the exact number but I don’t believe he was anywhere near 85 scholarship players in year 1.

In both cases, there was no transfer portal to draw players from to help fill the void.

He is definitely starting with a higher floor, talent wise, than he was at either other stop. If that correlates to more wins, we will see. I just don’t think you can look at the other 2 schools and draw conclusions on how the first year will go.

Optimism for Nebraska football is literally the definition of a bad decision, especially if optimism leads to cynicism. There isn't a single data point that would lead to the logical conclusion that we will win more than 3 games. Every other team works out, works as hard as us, has millionaire coaches who are professionals, experienced, fan bases who are rabid, and all of our opponents have a few good players, and a bunch of average d1 guys who won't play beyond this level. I am pretty confident we would have been winless without Trey Palmer last year and we lost our top two defensive players on top of losing our starting qb and our all-american level WR. The only good news is there is a lot of roster turnover everywhere else and so losing players are replaced with guys who haven't lost yet. Sadly this isn't a single coach problem, the losing was historical under Mike R as well and was compounded by Frosty. I'll watch every game and enjoy the 3 wins and well played losses and hope for a day when games might matter in November and December. But it will be a while.
^^^^
Nothing inaccurate here. Still don’t understand why in the world people think we’re a lock for a bowl season. Have seen NOTHING to indicate that. Maybe after a couple years of better recruiting.

• Haha
^^^^
Nothing inaccurate here. Still don’t understand why in the world people think we’re a lock for a bowl season. Have seen NOTHING to indicate that. Maybe after a couple years of better recruiting.
This is the attitude of a person that doesn’t want to be disappointed again so he has decided to think the worst and be surprised then think the best and be disappointed.

Sims was hurt just as much last year if not more than CT. I hope he is more durable, but that remains to be seen. I see Kemp as the replacement for Palmer.. to me the WR room is a push from last year.

I don't mind Rhule saying he wants to run the ball. I just don't see what he has done to back that statement up, other than run a couple of fullback plays in the spring game.

He can say "I want to run the ball" and then recruit pro style QB's and top WR's all he wants to as far as I'm concerned.. as long as he wins games, nobody is going to care.

We had one receiver last year.

The focus has to be producing a run game.

Ervin Started showing that vision as Freshman before and during the game against OU when he went down for the year. He's now back to 100%. Notice how much Rhule has said about him as he absolutely loves that guy, but hardly any peep out of him about Grant.
His YPC doesn’t show vision or awareness. Speed doesn’t help a RB when he’s in traffic. His vision and ability to read a play is what hurts Ervin. Heck, Ervin’s bad vision caused his freshman injury.

Christine Michael was one of the most athletic and well put together humans of all time but he didn’t play over Marshawn Lynch in Seattle. And Marshawns had a bit of a belly for a while even back then. Instinct is something a back needs to have. We have yet to see good instinct from Ervin.

Last edited:
Reactions: tampa husker
What's thus "we" sh!t? Did you forget what board you're on?
I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board. I prefer to have enough meta-cognition to recognize my own thought patterns and I prefer to not robotically get illogical optimism because I know for me personally that becomes cynicism, and somebody must be at fault or be blamed. Ever notice how the most optimistic people now will also be the first people to lose their minds in August, in the 1st quarter when are down 14-0. They will be the first who act like petulant little children wanting a coach fired half-way through the 3rd game of the season because they are looking way too forward to watching one of the worst football teams from the last 10 years. Husker fans are some of the most brutal towards huskers because they robotically cycle from optimism to cynicism to depression every year even though there isn't a single argument for why this team will be "good". Hopefully they are at least entertaining or give us a carrot to look forward to in the future.

I've done as much or more with NU football, players, and the program as anybody on this board. I prefer to have enough meta-cognition to recognize my own thought patterns and I prefer to not robotically get illogical optimism because I know for me personally that becomes cynicism, and somebody must be at fault or be blamed. Ever notice how the most optimistic people now will also be the first people to lose their minds in August, in the 1st quarter when are down 14-0. They will be the first who act like petulant little children wanting a coach fired half-way through the 3rd game of the season because they are looking way too forward to watching one of the worst football teams from the last 10 years. Husker fans are some of the most brutal towards huskers because they robotically cycle from optimism to cynicism to depression every year even though there isn't a single argument for why this team will be "good". Hopefully they are at least entertaining or give us a carrot to look forward to in the future.
"meta-cognition" and self-awareness has a blind spot for when to use paragraphs, I see

This is the attitude of a person that doesn’t want to be disappointed again so he has decided to think the worst and be surprised then think the best and be disappointed.
there could be some reverse psychology at work here, for sure :)
It's just hard to look at raw metrics and the very recent history of being DOMINATED on both sides of the line to be super optimistic. They've gotten an A for Effort so far, tho....

A typical Scott Frost year is 5 wins (4-5). I am working under the assumption that we upgraded significantly in the coaching department until proven otherwise. If we cant get to at least 6 wins with one of the softest schedules we have had in decades then I will no longer be operating under that baseline assumption.

It is ok to start keeping score in year one. People are doing the same thing they did with Frost - constructing a lengthy runway paved with gold to explain away potentially disappointing results

We have a pretty good recruiting class in 2024 - if we want to hold it together and do better in 25 we better be able to sell improvement

Let me tell you two things: First, "Juan" is a troll pure and simple. Linking anything he posts is a crime against rational thought. Two, he's in this thread. Zero chance a troll of that magnitude isn't also on this board. Decide for yourself who it is.

I think Washington is a solid player.
I like Washington quite a bit too. I think with the better scheme on O, motivated players with some talent, and a new start… we will see 2-3 WRs have good seasons. If I had to predict the top performers… Washington, Kemp, IGC, and Betts.
The new guys look promising but the older guys are already ahead in terms of the playbook.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Obviously you haven’t been on this board long. The optimists (I know cuz I’m one of them) stay optimistic for 3 years minimum. Riley had his supporters in year 3, Frost at the start of year 5… no clue where you came up with this thought pattern, and it is certainly your own… but it couldn’t be further from the truth.

it’s possible that the recruiting services have been consistently wrong about NU FB prospects for years. It’s also possible that the coaching staff, with exceptions (Fisher), wasn’t up to the task of coaching and developing the players. We will find out whether the latter holds any water.

Reactions: tjlSker90
All right then, we’ll let this one slide then. 😉

thank-you-saul-silver.gif

I don’t think the hype train is showdown in Indy and playoffs but instead for some bowl game in Guatalawhothehellcares.

For me the hype will be winning 6 freaking games and I will not be convinced that the talent we had last year could not have beaten Northwestern, Georgia F$@&; Southern and take at least one win from: Purdue, MN, or Wisconsin, with a strong coaching staff. I am absolutely not crapping on Mickey as I felt like he did a solid job taking over that dumpster fire.

6 games should be the floor with our schedule and I will be happy to have at least that.

A typical Scott Frost year is 5 wins (4-5). I am working under the assumption that we upgraded significantly in the coaching department until proven otherwise. If we cant get to at least 6 wins with one of the softest schedules we have had in decades then I will no longer be operating under that baseline assumption.

It is ok to start keeping score in year one. People are doing the same thing they did with Frost - constructing a lengthy runway paved with gold to explain away potentially disappointing results

We have a pretty good recruiting class in 2024 - if we want to hold it together and do better in 25 we better be able to sell improvement
5 wins was the best SF year, not the typical one

he averaged south of 4 wins/year for his NU coaching career

I expect 8 this year from Rhule, and will absolutely not accept any excuse for a total lower than 6. our schedule is a gift from the college football gods for a 1st year HC

5 wins was the best SF year, not the typical one

he averaged south of 4 wins/year for his NU coaching career

I expect 8 this year from Rhule, and will absolutely not accept any excuse for a total lower than 6. our schedule is a gift from the college football gods for a 1st year HC
Exactly. No excuse for anything less than a bowl bid. One of the most deadly combos in football is a good slot and good TE. Give me that all day. Think Welker/ Gronk or Edelman/ Gronk. you can control the middle of the field and that opens up your running game. I believe we have the makings of a good middle of the field game.

If either Thomas or Gilbert could come close to their expected potential, I think Kemp will be there with them and that type of game could be deadly.

What we really need is our QB to finally stay healthy? How longs it’s been since we had a healthy QB1 all season?

But the real guy not to sleep on is Bonner. Look what Satterfield did with that H back @ SC. JB could easily lead us in rushing. And I’d be great with that.

Last edited:
Exactly. No excuse for anything less than a bowl bid. One of the most deadly combos in football is a good slot and good TE. Give me that all day. Think Welker/ Gronk or Edelman/ Gronk. you can control the middle of the field and that opens up your running game. I believe we have the makings of a good middle of the field game.

If either Thomas or Gilbert could come close to their expected potential, I think Kemp will be there with them and that type of game could be deadly.

What we really need is our QB to finally stay healthy? How longs it’s been since we had a healthy QB1 all season?
I am obviously not as concerned about the first team qb as most

Frankly same goes for the 5* TEs. Boerkircher is a top 10 B1G TE, IMO

• Wow
Reactions: dinglefritz
it’s possible that the recruiting services have been consistently wrong about NU FB prospects for years. It’s also possible that the coaching staff, with exceptions (Fisher), wasn’t up to the task of coaching and developing the players. We will find out whether the latter holds any water.
I think Frost’s personal problems weighed heavily on his team. Couple that with a crappy QB and QB coach for several years and a mediocre DC. I thought our guys looked better from a S&C standpoint but others have made the point that we weren’t flexible enough and quick enough. I largely liked a lot of what I saw in the spring scrimmage. It’s going to be fun to see what it looks like this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT