ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Oregon & Washington to B1G is just about done.

Hip hip…

Time to focus on schools that actually increase revenue and recruiting footprint.

Want to be seen on more equal footing with the SEC? Barge into their territory and make them have to compete for recruits with a P2 conference in their own backyard. That will not only get their attention, but Notre Dame’s as well.

They need to decide if they want to go to the BIG with a partial payout - which I gather they turned down the initial BIG low ball offer - or go to the B12 and wait it out
There ain’t going to be a second offer. If there even was a legit 1st offer which I have my doubts.

Greg McElroy said his sources, which he trusts on the inside have said the interest of the BigTen presidents in adding oregon and Washington was very minimal and would be far down on their list of adds.

There’s no rush to add schools that don’t increase revenue or recruiting footprint when ACC schools and potentially ND could be real adds in about 10 years or less.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Hip hip…

Time to focus on schools that actually increase revenue and recruiting footprint.

Want to be seen on more equal footing with the SEC? Barge into their territory and make them have to compete for recruits with a P2 conference in their own backyard. That will not only get their attention, but Notre Dame’s as well.

I'd rather go after Miami and Florida State than Washington and Oregon. Go after the fastest-growing state

USC trying to make “Texass like” demands as the enter a new conference. They’re gonna find out real quick that ain’t gonna fly in the B1G. “Not in Kansas anymore Toto”

Or the B1G sucks and should stick to their word and threat all their members with some respect, not just the old guard perverts and racists.

Does anyone know if USC ever actually made such demands regarding Oregon? Seems like a made up deal because I can't imagine USC actually demanded that another school not be allowed to join a conference they aren't even in yet.

What’s the rush??? Wait till 2036 if you have to In order to grab the more coveted ACC schools.

Big ten schools will be making 2-3x more than any school outside the SEC during that entire time ….there is ZERO REASON to rush into adding more schools.
I think in 2036 the bottom falls out of the pay structure of conferences. These conferences are going to structure themselves out of existence. The Rose Bowl is now trashed, no PAC conference. With the playoff going to 12 teams, they will need to go to 16-24 to make it equitable for the smaller conferences and the conference championship games will be eliminated because of the number of games with the new playoff schedule. Does a new division of sports start now? Power Conference, D-1, D-2, D-3, what bowl games get eliminated because of the playoff schedule? With a new conference and 24 teams making the playoffs, do the non-qualifying teams end their season? Will anyone give a sh!t about the conference winners?

It will be impossible for teams to play each other every year and will need subdivisions to have anything that will resemble a regular schedule. If there are four 5-team subdivisions, the three outlying subdivisions will play each other 2 out of 3 years with one year sitting out. Not sure how much fan appeal there will be. How many out-of-conference will there be, if any? How much money are these west coast teams going to spend for the minor sports to travel east every year? I do not see how this will last, but I am in the minority. I could care less about change, change is always happening. I think NU is at a huge disadvantage with traveling costs and could bite them in the a$$. Just because it is bigger does not make it better; sometimes it gets worse.

Does anyone know if USC ever actually made such demands regarding Oregon? Seems like a made up deal because I can't imagine USC actually demanded that another school not be allowed to join a conference they aren't even in yet.
Yeah exactly. If it made sense the BigTen would add them, but it doesn’t bring enough eyeballs or do anything for the schools recruiting footprint. They aren’t cow tailing to USC.

Oregon and Washington can play in a modified PAC with other Mountain West schools and nobody nationally will bat an eye or care in a few years.

It’s going to come down to a coin flip. Heads they stay in the Pac-12 and tails they move to the Big Ten.

You might be right. You might also be totally underestimating the university of spoiled children's huge sense of entitlement. There's a reason they're called that.

You might be right. You might also be totally underestimating the university of spoiled children's huge sense of entitlement. There's a reason they're called that.
The Socal schools came to the Big 10 looking for t.v. money. I don't think they were in a position to make demands.

I think in 2036 the bottom falls out of the pay structure of conferences. These conferences are going to structure themselves out of existence. The Rose Bowl is now trashed, no PAC conference. With the playoff going to 12 teams, they will need to go to 16-24 to make it equitable for the smaller conferences and the conference championship games will be eliminated because of the number of games with the new playoff schedule. Does a new division of sports start now? Power Conference, D-1, D-2, D-3, what bowl games get eliminated because of the playoff schedule? With a new conference and 24 teams making the playoffs, do the non-qualifying teams end their season? Will anyone give a sh!t about the conference winners?

It will be impossible for teams to play each other every year and will need subdivisions to have anything that will resemble a regular schedule. If there are four 5-team subdivisions, the three outlying subdivisions will play each other 2 out of 3 years with one year sitting out. Not sure how much fan appeal there will be. How many out-of-conference will there be, if any? How much money are these west coast teams going to spend for the minor sports to travel east every year? I do not see how this will last, but I am in the minority. I could care less about change, change is always happening. I think NU is at a huge disadvantage with traveling costs and could bite them in the a$$. Just because it is bigger does not make it better; sometimes it gets worse.
That’s fine, I’ll almost be dead by 2036…

Oregon and Washington are leaving the Pac 12 and joining the Big 10.

Cougs and Beavers are trying to figure out what to do with the new Pac 4.

I think the 12 team playoff in most years will be:
1) 4 teams from the B1G
2) 4 teams from the SEC
3) Notre Dame -assuming they remain indy
4) Big 12 champ
5) ACC champ
6) highest rated G5 team

Hell, eventually it might be 6 teams from the B1G and 6 from the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
This stinks. It was inevitable once USC came on board. But it stinks.

Kind of agree. I like that we are adding a couple more traditionally fairly competitive football programs. Both of those teams are upgrades over the vast majority of the rest of the B1G. But, it does suck that we're adding yet another 2 schools with not a single thing in common with us. Tiny bit of old history with Washington I guess. But mostly just further magnifying that we are mostly "which of these things is not like the others" in this conference.

In reality, a conference with tOSU, Michigan, Ped St, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Wash, and others is damn exciting
Dont know what people are complaining about. 18, 20 teams, who cares? We can’t play everyone anyway as it is.
At least now we don’t get stuck with playing tOSU 6 out of every 7 years

Kind of agree. I like that we are adding a couple more traditionally fairly competitive football programs. Both of those teams are upgrades over the vast majority of the rest of the B1G. But, it does suck that we're adding yet another 2 schools with not a single thing in common with us. Tiny bit of old history with Washington I guess. But mostly just further magnifying that we are mostly "which of these things is not like the others" in this conference.
Regionality was part of the reason CFB was so fun. 4 hour road trips to away games. Friendly shit talking to your neighbor who moved near you from a neighboring state. Rivalries that are literally 100 years old and all the weird traditions that spring from that.

This makes it feel so much more sterile and corporate. It feels like going from Rosenblatt to TD Ameritrade. Sure the new stadium is nicer and makes more money. But the charm is gone. It just isn’t the same.

I'd rather go after Miami and Florida State than Washington and Oregon. Go after the fastest-growing state
Miami has a basically zero fan base and can never come close to filling their stadium. It's all about market and eyeballs. Plus, dumbasses FSU and Miami are locked into the ACC until 2036 unless they want to buy their way out and it's being reported that FSU wants out but their buyout would be around $120 million - just idiotic. It was a very smart move by Nebraska to get into the B1G a few years ago. Your future is solid

Our future was always solid, with or without the B1G. You think a blue blood football program was going to file chapter 11 and shut down the football program or something?
Blueblood means very little in today's CF when it comes to making money and survival. It's about eyeballs and the huge TV revenue. Kinf of like "what have you done lately."

Start with NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, D.C, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, Columbus, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Los Angelas, and I know I've left out a few more. Those are all multi-million markets. Now they're eyeballing Seattle and Portland. Huge money for the conference members. Now look at the markets and money if Nebraska was still in the Big 12 or whatever it is now, Like night and day

BTW, it's being reported on 247 Sports that Nebraska has taken the lead in the B1G in bringing Oregon and Washington aboard which makes sense since NU will probably be more in line with developing rivalries (and travel considerations) - going forward - with those schools

With all of that said, I fully expect ND to be in the B1G within the next 2 to 3 years. Just don't see any way around it money and survival wise

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Curious, which schools do we have something in common with? And what is that commonality? Hopefully you have more on that list than a bunch of Big 8 schools.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Curious, which schools do we have something in common with? And what is that commonality? Hopefully you have more on that list than a bunch of Big 8 schools.
It will be a struggle down the road for that conference to survive by itself. I can see them merging with some kind of mixture of what's left from the PAC and ACC. People are rambling on about future conferences but it's all going to boil down to MONEY to compete and survive

Regionality was part of the reason CFB was so fun. 4 hour road trips to away games. Friendly shit talking to your neighbor who moved near you from a neighboring state. Rivalries that are literally 100 years old and all the weird traditions that spring from that.

This makes it feel so much more sterile and corporate. It feels like going from Rosenblatt to TD Ameritrade. Sure the new stadium is nicer and makes more money. But the charm is gone. It just isn’t the same.
Unfortunately been heading this direction for awhile. Miss the stadium on the hill, grew up couple blocks away.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Blueblood means very little in today's CF when it comes to making money and survival. It's about eyeballs and the huge TV revenue. Kinf of like "what have you done lately."

Start with NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, D.C, Baltimore, Detroit, Milwaukee, Columbus, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Los Angelas, and I know I've left out a few more. Those are all multi-million markets. Now they're eyeballing Seattle and Portland. Huge money for the conference members. Now look at the markets and money if Nebraska was still in the Big 12 or whatever it is now, Like night and day

BTW, it's being reported on 247 Sports that Nebraska has taken the lead in the B1G in bringing Oregon and Washington aboard which makes sense since NU will probably be more in line with developing rivalries (and travel considerations) - going forward - with those schools

With all of that said, I fully expect ND to be in the B1G within the next 2 to 3 years. Just don't see any way around it money and survival wise

Yeah, I get how TV markets work. You just keep throwing around terms like "survival" as if there was ever a chance that a Nebraska or a ND would somehow not "survive". Survive what? And disagree about the blueblood factor not meaning anything today. It means there are a handful of teams that are always going to "survive" pretty much no matter what.

Reactions: king_kong_
It will be a struggle down the road for that conference to survive by itself. I can see them merging with some kind of mixture of what's left from the PAC and ACC. People are rambling on about future conferences but it's all going to boil down to MONEY to compete and survive

There's that word again. I definitely get that it's all about the money. Pretty much everything in life is. But what is it that teams who aren't getting as much of it might not survive? And compete? There a ton of teams that are in on all this money that aren't very competitive. We don't have to look very far to see that.

Anyone who we have some history with and/or is better aligned with our values/culture. I'll let you fill in the blanks on who all that might be. Here's a hint...it ain't the B1G.

The Big went shopping at the 2nd hand store

“the framework of a deal was presented that would have the Ducks and Huskies enter the conference with an annual payout in the low-to-mid $30 millions.

The schools could also receive an advance on future payments that could increase the total payout to more than $40 million for the first several years they are in the conference, though it would be subtracted from future payouts, two people said.

That payout would be about half what current Big Ten members will receive when all its new television deals fully kick in”

Anyone who we have some history with and/or is better aligned with our values/culture. I'll let you fill in the blanks on who all that might be. Here's a hint...it ain't the B1G.
Well us and Ioway and Indiana are all considered hike states, so we have that going for us..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT