ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Oregon & Washington to B1G is just about done.

I think once USC and UCLA decided to bolt that the process just gained momentum and is now like an unstoppable avalanche. Even though Colorado stinks their departure had to be noticed as well. And the Washington and Oregon move to the B1G has also been in the rumor mill for a while. The whole thing just unraveled quickly.

I agree about WSU and OSU. They are screwed. I also wonder where Cal and Stanford will end up...

Last edited:
4 corners and wash/oregon state to big 12
oregon wash cal and stanford to B1G
sec to go after heart of acc

I think once USC and UCLA decided to bolt that the process just gained momentum and is now like an unstoppable avalanche. Even thought Colorado stinks their departure had to be noticed as well. And the Washington and Oregon move to the B1G has also been in the rumor mill for a while. The whole thing just unraveled quickly.

I agree about WSU and OSU. They are screwed. I also wonder where Cal and Stanford will end up...
Yeah it really sucks for WSU, OSU. Not really fair that they'll get left out in the cold when you have teams like BYU, UCF, Purdue, Cincinnati, who will all fare better than them (presumably).

I don't really see what Cal brings at all besides academics. I do think the B1G is using Stanford as a chess piece to grab Notre Dame.

Who the hell knows at this point, it's moving so fast. But here's my prediction for how the B1G gets to 20. Not necessarily who I'd want... Would love to grab ASU and Utah, but it just doesn't seem like they are a priority for the B1G.

Pod set up works nicely if they went that route.

West: UW, UO, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Central: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois
Lakes: Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame, Purdue, Northwestern
East: OSU, Penn State, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland

Last edited:
If they add Cal, Stanford, Washington and Oregon, it seems inevitable that they add 4 more to get to 24 and have 4 divisions of 6 teams.

Yeah it really sucks for WSU, OSU. Not really fair that they'll get left out in the cold when you have teams like BYU, UCF, Purdue, Cincinnati, who will all fare better than them (presumably).

I don't really see what Cal brings at all besides academics. I do think the B1G is using Stanford as a chess piece to grab Notre Dame.

Who the hell knows at this point, it's moving so fast. But here's my prediction for how the B1G gets to 20. Not necessarily who I'd want... Would love to grab ASU and Utah, but it just doesn't seem like they are a priority for the B1G.

Agree, they have long rivalry games they have played for many decades between the three and joining the B1G extends playing those games to a certain extent..

Than again ND might not be playing USC and Stanford every year unless they have couple of locked rivalry games..

After checking Stanford and ND haven’t played that many decades in a row 1997- present and 1988-1994..

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerMania257460
If Cal and Stanford get in, I'm going to be pissed....Those schools bring absolutely nothing to this conference... And we've already got enough of those kinds of idiots in charge now...we don't need more.
Totally agree. Cal is a big reason why the PAC is failing in the first place. The high hill they sit on needs to crumble. They don’t care about athletics and they look down their nose at people who do.

The PAC and ACC are ocean locked while the Big 12 is located centrally and can go east and west. I see most of the scrubs joining the Big 12 and the Big 10 possibly going south where it can (Louisville/FSU). The SEC can go up the coast a bit into SC.NC and Virginia. Do they go up to BC or Syracuse? ND?

Pod set up works nicely if they went that route.

West: UW, UO, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Central: Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois
Lakes: Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame, Purdue, Northwestern
East: OSU, Penn State, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland
Those pods look good, but the B1G would never separate Michigan and tOSU unless it‘s a locked in rivalry game..

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree, they have long rivalry games they have played for many decades between the three and joining the B1G extends playing those games to a certain extent..

Than again ND might not be playing USC and Stanford every year unless they have couple of locked rivalry games..
I actually think going to 20-24 makes things easier than it is right now. At 16 teams, we play some teams every 4 years anyway and there's no good way to schedule the crossovers.

Going up to 20-24 gives the ability to create mini conferences, just under the umbrella of the B1G for more money. You'd be able to keep the regional rivalries by playing every team your pod every year, have a protected rivalry or two outside of that (ND / USC, OSU / Michigan), then rotate the rest like NFL divisions.

I just hope it stops with just Oregon and Washington..

Other wise it’s not even a conference anymore, it’s hardly conference with 16 teams playing each other every couple of years….
This is where I'm at. The idea of having a 20 team conference sucks for fans. At some point its easier to list who's NOT in it vs who is in. It already sucks IMHO.

Much of the discussions are over what percentage of a full share to offer them before throwing them a life preserver

Too many west coast teams now as it is. If they add Cal and Stanford, watch out husker fans, we're in the new pac 12 conference by default with a different name as we'll be playing the west coast teams year in and year out due to our proximity.

Cal should and probably will get rid of football. Literally.

WSU and OSU to mountain west. Literally. It's the best thing for them.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Stanford is almost always at the top of the Directors Cup standings. Not sure how their Olympic sports teams will compete in a conference that doesn't have those sports

Think the B1G is trying to weaken USC by adding Oregon. Nike will always keep them competitive in recruiting.
No way. If they wanted to weaken USC they could have added Oregon right away. I think this is the result of the sudden demise of the Pac 12 and the Big 12 aggressively adding teams. Oregon and Washington were probably targeted by the Big 12 and don't want to join unless absolutely necessary so they are pressing the Big 10 to speed up their decision.

Reactions: Redblood23
Fox will have the final thumbs up or down

I've read they aren't thrilled with the idea of adding Pac teams they already took a pass on previously

Reactions: tampa husker
What's the point of having conferences if you have 24 teams? How are you going to determine which two teams play in the conference title game? Teams will go 4-5 years without playing certain other teams, assuming that rivalry games are protected every year.
Right. In pro sports if you suck you get first pick at draft to try to keep parity. Ain't gonna work that way in cfb. Maybe ccg will be thing of the past eventually with expanded playoffs

Radio guys this morning were saying Cal and Stanford are being considered because they have a massive budget for academic research and development. Not every potential addition will be looked at through the singular lense of a TV deal

Radio guys this morning were saying Cal and Stanford are being considered because they have a massive budget for academic research and development. Not every potential addition will be looked at through the singular lense of a TV deal

This

The Big Ten Alliance, formerly the CIC, is where the REAL money is at

Reactions: Redblood23
What's the point of having conferences if you have 24 teams? How are you going to determine which two teams play in the conference title game? Teams will go 4-5 years without playing certain other teams, assuming that rivalry games are protected every year.
Eventually the "conferences" will be so big that your division will actually be your conference.

Seriously, we're going to end up in the Big 8 again. Winner of our "division" goes on to the "conference" title. The more things change, the more they stay the same! I'm looking forward to another Big 8, just hope it isn't all on the west coast!!

No way. If they wanted to weaken USC they could have added Oregon right away. I think this is the result of the sudden demise of the Pac 12 and the Big 12 aggressively adding teams. Oregon and Washington were probably targeted by the Big 12 and don't want to join unless absolutely necessary so they are pressing the Big 10 to speed up their decision.
I doubt that, I don't think the B1G is pressed to add anyone right now. Oregon and Washington will only go to the B12 if there's nowhere else to go. Then would jump to the B1G from the B12 whenever they call. I assume they are vetting Oregon and Washington right now because they can't get an ACC teams as easily due to their grant of rights.

Reactions: tampa husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT