ADVERTISEMENT

So...how IS recruiting going?

From what we've seen from Riley in the past, I'm not sure that he (and his staff) will dramatically improve recruiting right away. It might be a little better, might be a little worse...we'll have to see.

It's going to take a sustained progress of winning in order to climb the ranking and recruiting ladder. This will take time. The hope is that Riley and Co. will be able to improve coaching, game-planning, conditioning, etc. such that the big wins come quickly.

Last edited:
Yet, you say Riley must do it now because of the "talent" Bo left him? Which is it?

DPE, Westerkamp, Newby, Taylor, Collins, Valentine, Gerry.

Bo left some talent, he also left serious deficiencies in depth, and recruited inadequate talent at key positions (QB).

There is no incompatibility in what spinner said.

DPE, Westerkamp, Newby, Taylor, Collins, Valentine, Gerry.

Bo left some talent, he also left serious deficiencies in depth, and recruited inadequate talent at key positions (QB).

There is no incompatibility in what spinner said.

This is why I keep pointing out how Riley did an incredible job addressing the depth issue first.

He didn't just fill scholarships to fill spots like Callahan in 2004 and Bo in 2008. He brought in talent at positions of need.

Barry would be at Miami.
Ferguson, the Louisiana HS Defensive Player of that Year, would be at Oklahoma or Arkansas.
Talan would be at TCU or Pitt
And Dedrick Young likely chooses OU or Washington.

I also believe Dashion Neal would've chosen Oregon.

Spinner can poo poo all those dudes, but I'm telling you they are outstanding players and will be significant upgrades in athleticsm.

Riley has already impressed me immensely as a recruiter.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Depth @ D-End is not Riley & Co. fault. Drew Ott should be starting for NU & Harrison Phillips should be his back-up but someone didn't recruit well. And I don't have a problem with Gangwish. I think he is solid but he isn't exactly Jimmy Williams or Jared Tomich, if you want to talk about great DE walk-ons. Gangwish needs to prove a ton this year and I don't really think he earned being a starter as much as I think he got it by default. Hopefully he shows up in 2015 and has a great year.

But your last sentence I think is what makes me worried. All signs point to Riley and Co not being very good recruiters. (again not saying they can't develop). Not one of our coaches has ever proven they can sell with the big boys. Make excuses about lack of resources or state how being former NFL coaches will make it easy to sell (as if Nu is the only staff with a bunch of former NFL assistants). All I can say is that the prof is in the outcomes and I don't see Riley and Co ever recruiting top 10 classes without winning a lot of big games. Bo left them the talent so they have to do it now. If they don't, I am worried they wont leave the next guy with the same talent level that they inherited.

It will be interesting but I think its ironic that pretty much the faith of the program rests on guys (on ever level) who less than 5 years ago we gave zero "f's" about.

All signs? Really all signs?

Why should people have cared about Riley 5 years ago? Of all the things you say that don't make sense that is probably the least sensical. Jesus man, if you really mean that result are what matter, wait until a class signs before making claims about this staff as recruiters. Riley has been the coach for 6 months and you are alrwady concerned about the talent he leaves the next guy? Lawd

Reactions: sparky62
All signs? Really all signs?

Why should people have cared about Riley 5 years ago? Of all the things you say that don't make sense that is probably the least sensical. Jesus man, if you really mean that result are what matter, wait until a class signs before making claims about this staff as recruiters. Riley has been the coach for 6 months and you are alrwady concerned about the talent he leaves the next guy? Lawd

No doubt. This is a pretty amusing thread.

Thank goodness some folks have some common sense. People are poo pooing the class already and it isn't even June yet. Furthermore, these aren't even the final rivals rankings and there will be a lot of movement up/down before the last ranking is released. I guess folks also dont realize how bad Oregon State's situation was. Think ISU of the Pac 12 in terms of tradition, financial support, etc and then try to put together a top 5 recruiting class.

Pump the breaks, take a nice deep breath, and let the year unfold before casting finite conclusions on this staff and their aptitude as coaches and recruiters.

I get what Spinner is saying (and others). Which is, Riley may not be able to recruit top athletes, or even recruit to the current NU level of talent, without winning a lot of games. So the point would be, we better win now (you can define "now"), or the overall talent level at NU may go down.

I can't argue or agree with that thought process at this time. (imo).

I would say the evidence so far indicates Riley will be able to do these things. He buttoned up the Twins and the rest of the class no problems. He even won a head to head with Harbaugh at a position of need. He added to it with quality depth at the positions Corn indicated, with quality players considering other D1 schools including Barnett.

He hadn't even been here but 3 or 4 months and he had basically a whose who on campus of elite California 7 on 7 players, some of whom are still considering Nebraska. Something that we never saw under Bo even if he did find some players on the occassion. The guys are out pounding the pavement trying to get some really good players like Quayshawn, etc and doors aren't being shut in their face either.

Riley might not be the type of guy that takes the boat out on the lake, puts his feet up, and lets the record setting catches just jump into the boat, but I personally think its a little ludicrous to say that he can't recruit at our current talent level. He seems to be doing just that and more.

I think what can be most easily said is that a lot of fans are feeling that the stink is on the program or Riley, in that Nebraska is not one of those schools where you announce a coach and immediately the Rivals 100 start piling in to get a spot. I get that there is disappointment, but you'd have to show something other than a gut feeling to see that where we are at in 2015 has light years better vibe than we had in Bo's transition class.

Thank goodness some folks have some common sense. People are poo pooing the class already and it isn't even June yet. Furthermore, these aren't even the final rivals rankings and there will be a lot of movement up/down before the last ranking is released. I guess folks also dont realize how bad Oregon State's situation was. Think ISU of the Pac 12 in terms of tradition, financial support, etc and then try to put together a top 5 recruiting class.

Pump the breaks, take a nice deep breath, and let the year unfold before casting finite conclusions on this staff and their aptitude as coaches and recruiters.
Ehhhhh...it's early. He needs this year and next before we make any announcements about recruiting.

Reactions: arf_man
I would agree with you Tom (first time foe everything). 2017 is the class im most interested in seeing signed. It will give the coaches "adequate" time to develop relationships with the kids and be a better gradient of what kind of class they can put together. Heck, look at all of the offers they've put out thus far for 2017.

I`m impressed by what the staff is doing in Nebraska to build relationships with our high school coaches. Nothing but positive feedback from Nebraska high schools
regarding Riley and staff.

Reactions: sparky62
Coach Riley is killing it in recruiting and building a structure ( read positive posts above ); trolls almost drove T O to Colorado back in the day. I wish Coach R wasn't quite so laid back in asking for commitments; but they know the situation better than me. I am thrilled with the qb recruits. He is hands down better than Bo; and I believe Bo would have hindered the AD's vision; and the structure now being built.
Goodness sakes, Tulsa above is reserving judgement till 2017; or so reads above; we shall see.

The addition of another qb is great news.

Where do we consider the bar to be when it comes to class rankings? 20? Number of 4*+ guys he signs?

I'd take these two QBs over any Bo recruited. These guys know how to evaluate QBs. Bo knew how to evaluate DBs. Its the QB position though that is most paramount to Nebraska winning a conference title for the first time in years.

Someone had a poll on this site not too long ago. The majority of people "expected" a top 25 or better recruiting class. Seems like 20-25 was the number one choice in the poll.

In March, people were saying wait until after the spring game. After the spring game people were saying wait until June. Not quite June yet, now people are already saying wait until 2017. Recruiting is part of the job description. I would hope we could land a top 25 class this year, and the result would be from number of stars and not through sheer number of recruits.

Will 2017 be an aberration if say 3 or 4 players from Keyshawn Johnson's team are directed to NU? Hopefully not, maybe could spark a sustained jump in what tier we recruit/rank. So, now the party-line, official response is "wait until 2017 (and Keyshawn's recruits)".

2017 is when you will get a better idea of the staffs full potential as recruiters, but it certainly doesn't mean 2016 doesn't have high expectations and can't be evaluated. probably best to wait until a class is signed until evaluating. JMO

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff I am reading in this thread. The people who seem to be on the edge of their seat waiting to declare Riley a failure in recruiting not even halfway through his first recruiting year is just outrageous and nonsensical. I know there are people who didn't want him, but you don't have to make your desire to see him fail so obvious. Some of you need to get a grip and let things play out.

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff I am reading in this thread. The people who seem to be on the edge of their seat waiting to declare Riley a failure in recruiting not even halfway through his first recruiting year is just outrageous and nonsensical. I know there are people who didn't want him, but you don't have to make your desire to see him fail so obvious. Some of you need to get a grip and let things play out.

Yep several posts in this thread are plain nuts.

My expectation is a top 25 class, we can't have multiple classes of top 30 or higher classes. You need good talent to win, no matter the name of the coach.

Given who we are and where we are, I think Top 25 every year should be a more or less must. Beyond that, I'm not really willing to put a number that says "needs to be Top 15 every year with the occassional Top 5". As long as the dude is putting a product on the field worthy of the name and competing at the level he needs to be at, then I don't care if its the 67th ranked class or the 2nd ranked class that's doing the winning.

I'd take these two QBs over any Bo recruited. These guys know how to evaluate QBs. Bo knew how to evaluate DBs. Its the QB position though that is most paramount to Nebraska winning a conference title for the first time in years.
YES, SOME NEED TO READ THE REPORTS; we are getting kids who are " blowing up ", and some are winning camp MVP's over 5*'s. - they also may be 4 star after the accomplishments of their senior seasons.
Another POINT: I believe Rivals ranks the top 20 in a class; or mainly - there may be fudge factors for part of it

YES, SOME NEED TO READ THE REPORTS; we are getting kids who are " blowing up ", and some are winning camp MVP's over 5*'s. - they also may be 4 star after the accomplishments of their senior seasons.
Another POINT: I believe Rivals ranks the top 20 in a class; or mainly - there may be fudge factors for part of it

Rivals only counts 20 in class rankings and while there may be biases and inaccuracies, the team rankings still seem to be remarkably predictive of team success, while the individual rankings are of individual success. Bottom line: sign talent, win games.

Coaching is also important, obviously

It's pretty simple. Riley is going to build this brick-by-brick. We did not hire a lightning rod recruiter, and so we can't expect to land top 10 recruiting classes right away. Instead, we will have to climb the ladder, one year at a time.

Jerry Kill already has the Big Ten trademark on the phrase 'Brick by Brick'. Been Minnesota's motto since he took the job.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/brickbybrick.html

FWIW, I think Riley was a really good hire for Nebraska. He's a guy who is similar to Kill in that he's had to do more with less. Those Beaver teams with Jacquizz Rodgers were really good.

And who knows how much more Riley might have accomplished if he wasn't forced to share a state with Nike U?

I think he'll do great. I also think Tommy Armstrong will lose his job this year for good. TA is great extending the play and making throws on the run. He throws a decent deep ball from the pocket. But I just don't see him making reads on timing routes while executing a 5 step drop.

Last edited:
Jerry Kill already has the Big Ten trademark on the phrase 'Brick by Brick'. Been Minnesota's motto since he took the job.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/brickbybrick.html

FWIW, I think Riley was a really good hire for Nebraska. He's a guy who is similar to Kill in that he's had to do less with more. Those Beaver teams with Jacquizz Rodgers were really good.

And who knows how much more Riley might have accomplished if he wasn't forced to share a state with Nike U?

I think he'll do great. I also think Tommy Armstrong will lose his job this year for good. TA is great extending the play and making throws on the run. He throws a decent deep ball from the pocket. But I just don't see him making reads on timing routes while executing a 5 step drop.

I think you meant "More with Less". At least I hope you meant that.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
Last year we got off to a fantastic start, but there was concern last June that we didn't have that many top players listing us in their top 3.

This year we're not off to nearly as good a start, but there are a lot of top players that have us in their top 3.

Long ways to go before signing day. It was always going to be difficult to get off to a fast start considering the staff hasn't had the last year to build relationships with most of the players we're going after. This class could still be top 15-20 range and I'll be surprised if it's not fringe top 25 by the time we're done.

Reactions: huskerj12
The way I look at it is... Between now and February, I couldn't give a care less what happens. I'm going to let Mike and Co do their jobs. Come signing day however, we better be ranked better than 25, and preferably somewhere in the 15-20 range. If not, we could have problems. No there is no reason why Nebraska can't land top 25 classes every single year. I said that with Solich, Callahan and Bo, and I'll repeat it with Riley. If we want to compete for titles, that's were we need to be.

Having never seen Coach Riley coach a game at Memorial Stadium, itwould be tough for a top caliber recruit to jump right into the frey of an unknown system and new group of coaches. I think we finish in the 20 to 25 rangethis year, and then a coupleof top ten classes after the recruits truly see what our new coach is capable of.

GBR!

Get as mad as you want that anyone would question the progress. The reason I asked is that I wanted to know if NU is very close on a lot of good prospects and only has a few commits, or if it was going to be a summer of silence like we used to get with the previous staff where the reports trickled in about how they were blowing off the job and kids were feeling ignored.

Sounds like they've hit on a couple kids who are trending in the right direction.

For those who are mad that anyone would look up at the scoreboard so early in the game, let me ask you this: Is Penn State a better job, program, and destination than NU? Was it when they were still on probation and scholarship reductions? Because all that coach did was haul monster classes while they were a stone's throw from the "death penalty" and had not been very good prior to that.

So if he can do that in Happy Valley, do tell why it's unfair to want that done in Lincoln with a good reputation and all 85 scholarships?

Reactions: siegsker
Love the QB additions. Also think June is going to be a good month for the Huskers!

Was thinking about being favored on short lists and how top-rated players were viewing NU. So, Rivals has a Top 100, seemed like a place to look. Out of the Rivals Top 100, we have offers to 26 uncommitted players, and we're not on anybody's "short list". We are in the running for some of the players.

Now, we know not every top 100 high school player is going on to be a top college player. We also know that not every top college player ranked high coming out of high school, and that these players haven't played their senior season. But the Rivals Top 100 was a place to look at.

It is a LONG time before we close the books on this years recruiting class. Maybe we can land some of these players and they go on to exceed expectations.

op8f1w.jpg

Reactions: TheBeav815
I don't personally see Nebraska being the type of place that hauls in a ton of Top 100 type recruits. Bo had Newby, and people are ready to chuck him overboard for Wilbon or Taylor, BC had Lucky, and probably one or two more. But its been a long long time since Nebraska has had a stableful of kids who were Top 100 recruits, if we ever did.

It seems unlikely to me, that we become Bama in this area, our Top 100 kids are going to be the sprinkles and a cherry, but not the actual ice cream.

I don't personally see Nebraska being the type of place that hauls in a ton of Top 100 type recruits. Bo had Newby, and people are ready to chuck him overboard for Wilbon or Taylor, BC had Lucky, and probably one or two more. But its been a long long time since Nebraska has had a stableful of kids who were Top 100 recruits, if we ever did.

It seems unlikely to me, that we become Bama in this area, our Top 100 kids are going to be the sprinkles and a cherry, but not the actual ice cream.

I know it's grossly overused *but* BC still has that 2005 class which had 4 rivals top 100 recruits. Only FSU, USC, Michigan, Tennessee and Oklahoma had more top 100 recruits. Georgia & Miami tied with Nebraska at 4 top 100 recruits.
Nebraska finished that year with the #5 overall class.

Recruiting top players to Nebraska CAN BE DONE. I'd like to note, that I don't think a top 5 class is necessarily representative of what to expect each year, but a top 15 class is imo, with a few really good classes mixed in once every few years. Nebraska has the fans, facilities, support etc. to rival any other school in the nation. We just lack that backyard full of talent, so you're going to have to do a little work to get the talent here. Winning combined with aggressive well planned out recruiting would take care of that.

Reactions: Nate004
I know it's grossly overused *but* BC still has that 2005 class which had 4 rivals top 100 recruits. Only FSU, USC, Michigan, Tennessee and Oklahoma had more top 100 recruits. Georgia & Miami tied with Nebraska at 4 top 100 recruits.

Recruiting top players to Nebraska CAN BE DONE. I'd like to note, that I don't think a top 5 class is necessarily representative of what to expect each year, but a top 15 class is imo, with a few really good classes mixed in once every few years. Nebraska has the fans, facilities, support etc. to rival any other school in the nation. We just lack that backyard full of talent, so you're going to have to do a little work to get the talent here. Winning combined with aggressive well planned out recruiting would take care of that.

No way, dude. Good players just don't like Lincoln, it's only the bad ones who go there because they have no choice. Lincoln can never compete with cool cities like Waco, Norman, Manhattan, Columbia, Tuscaloosa, Eugene, or any of the God-forsaken cities the Mississippi teams play in. Oh and let's not forget freaking Arkansas. Happenin' place that is.

I knew it was a good class, but unfamiliar with it enough at this point, not to remember there were 4 Top 100 kids. I knew Lucky was, and I figured Suh and Harrison Beck were, but couldn't remember if Suh or Leon Jackson were.

I think we'll get our fair share of top talent over the years, I guess I'm just saying, I don't really expect us to go 1-1-2-1-3-2-1-4 or whatever Bama and other top schools have been doing for the last several years.

Surprisingly enough, its precisely because of classes like that, that I don't get too bent out of shape about where exactly in the Top 25 we are. I figure, naturally, we'll bounce up into the Top 10, and most years probably be in the Top 20 or so. Half of those dudes weren't even on campus, a year or so later. Lucky, a solid enough back (which may or may not happen with Newby), but we've have had great luck with guys like Westerkamp, Bell, DPE, Burkhead, Abdullah, and Helu, who weren't in that upper stratosphere.

In reality, we've been mosty one decent run defense away from being a pretty darn good team these last few years.

I knew it was a good class, but unfamiliar with it enough at this point, not to remember there were 4 Top 100 kids. I knew Lucky was, and I figured Suh and Harrison Beck were, but couldn't remember if Suh or Leon Jackson were.

I think we'll get our fair share of top talent over the years, I guess I'm just saying, I don't really expect us to go 1-1-2-1-3-2-1-4 or whatever Bama and other top schools have been doing for the last several years.

Surprisingly enough, its precisely because of classes like that, that I don't get too bent out of shape about where exactly in the Top 25 we are. I figure, naturally, we'll bounce up into the Top 10, and most years probably be in the Top 20 or so. Half of those dudes weren't even on campus, a year or so later. Lucky, a solid enough back (which may or may not happen with Newby), but we've have had great luck with guys like Westerkamp, Bell, DPE, Burkhead, Abdullah, and Helu, who weren't in that upper stratosphere.

In reality, we've been mosty one decent run defense away from being a pretty darn good team these last few years.

A bit hard to say what we have in Newby. The past staff didn't really even give Ameer much use at RB until Rex was banged up. I think Newby could be a much more solid back by now if he'd actually seen the field. I could go on my rant about how they used the bench to chase off Green and Heard again, but I won't.

Given the resources NU has, I don't think it's unfair to expect consistent Top-20 classes at a minimum. I don't expect them to rip #1 from Bama and OSU, but I don't see why NU can't be in the top two tiers or so of recruiting.

I don't expect a top 5 or top 10 ranking every year. I don't expect us to land 4 or 5 top 100 players any year. It took me 30 minutes to look at the Top 100, was all the time I could devote. Some may say, "hey, we are recruiting at a different level" or "hey, we have top players considering us". I was interested in testing those ideas, 30 minutes of studying, figured I could share it.

Recruiting is fickle, you may not know how good it was until years after the fact. Attrition is high. There may not be much true skill/talent difference between the 10th, 15th, or maybe 20th rated players at a given position. If there are more "misses" than "hits" when it comes to recruits making it, I'd rather be starting from a more favorable position with perceived talent.

Player development, coaches seeing things others do not, identifying underrated players can only take us so far. It's the staff's first year (here), I would argue that NU is a top 25 program with commensurate facilities. Seems like top 25 in recruiting should be doable.

Well, just take a look at the FB recruiting tab above. As one would expect, tOSU is absolutely killing it. No way am I holding us accountable to this type of success.

However, we're still a long ways off from Mich, Mich St., and Penn St.
We are number 7 in the Big ten recruiting Minni has us beat so far..

The short-sided nature of posts in this thread is staggering. Our organization, effort, connections, creativity, etc. is all way better than during the Pelini era. It's not even June of Riley's first (incomplete - he wasn't able to start building relationships until he was hired) recruiting cycle and we are in a reasonably good position. People need to chill out.

Minnesota has 3 more recruits than us and the same number of 4 stars. While I am somewhat impressed with what they've done EARLY this cycle, it is my feeling we've barely even scratched the surface yet, while they have probably peaked.

We are doing better than everyone else in the B1G ten west by a long shot.

Exceptional year for football talent in Minnesota with ten players listed as 3-stars already, and the Gophers are doing a very good job locking up the in-state players. Most years Minnesota produces similar talent to Nebraska, more like 5 3-star players.

8 of Minnesota's 9 commits are from those ten 3 star in-state players. Not many left in-state.

I like where we stand. If anybody expected us to get off to a fast start I don't think they were thinking it through. It's hard to get a lot of early commits that aren't either local players (like Minnesota's) or players you've built a relationship with for the last year or more. Plus Mike Riley is known for filling out part of his class late, he traditionally gets a lot of in-season and post-season commits with some late bloomers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT