ADVERTISEMENT

So...how IS recruiting going?

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
Honest question for those who follow it closely. How is the recruiting actually going?

Starting to see some hand wringing from people over our number & quality of commits. Followed by the usual responses of "it's May, calm the hell down" etc.

I want to be one of those people saying everyone needs to chill because it's still so early, but I can't shake the memory of all the times we kept saying that about recruiting under Pelini and the staff never seemed to get serious about recruiting til it was already too late.

Are they making good progress on some bigtime guys but just haven't "broken the seal" yet? Should we expect more commits to start flying over the summer when there are more camps?

2017 class is the one I expect to bring some thunder (top 12-ish).

As for this class, the work has definitely been put in - starting from behind - but the rewards haven't shown just yet. For me, that is a bit concerning however, the effort eases that concern for now. June is a big month with the satellite and NU camps on campus. I'd be shocked if we didn't land some guys over the next 6-10 weeks.

Well, just take a look at the FB recruiting tab above. As one would expect, tOSU is absolutely killing it. No way am I holding us accountable to this type of success.

However, we're still a long ways off from Mich, Mich St., and Penn St.

2017 class is the one I expect to bring some thunder (top 12-ish).

As for this class, the work has definitely been put in - starting from behind - but the rewards haven't shown just yet. For me, that is a bit concerning however, the effort eases that concern for now. June is a big month with the satellite and NU camps on campus. I'd be shocked if we didn't land some guys over the next 6-10 weeks.

Thanks. Hopefully they can make some waves with those camps. For some reason it feels like late July even though it's only May.

Penn State is sorta the one that opened my eyes. If ever you thought there were a situation where kids wouldn't want to go there and we had a few "free years" not to worry about them. All he's done is haul monster classes since he's been there. If they aren't a team on the rise soon, he can't coach his way out of a paper sack. And here we were the whole time making excuses for why NU couldn't go and do likewise.

With Urban I expected exactly what is happening. I wonder if he'll need another "break from coaching" or will try his hand at the NFL in a few more years. Was pretty surprised there was never an NCAA investigation associated with his hiatus from winning national titles.

Good posts; HTO is spot on; the magnifier for 2017 will be the success of this year. If we have a very good to great year and show good player development we will " kill it" and fill with great prospects at will . Some will still be unhappy; because like T O , they will take some 3 * even over a 4 or 5 - if thats what they truly see. But the higher rated kids offered, that commit early will increase. Remember; we are offering these kids; but we haven't always used/had the wallets ( resources ) , to keep up with some.
We are selling education and NFL development and culture to maximize your life. That will be self repeating success on and off the field if successfully engaged and noticed on all levels.

Yes sir I did but they're no longer posting. Well, some are but the new ignore feature is purely awesome as it also works on mobile.

We can't always "out-coach" the competition in the B1G. At some point, we will need to "out-recruit".

The reverse is also true, of course. Out-recruiting Ohio State consistently will be difficult. (We should be able to stay close, and occasionally out-recruit them, though)

The reverse is also true, of course. Out-recruiting Ohio State consistently will be difficult. (We should be able to stay close, and occasionally out-recruit them, though)
Lol out recruit them. When was the last time you were even close to them

Lol out recruit them. When was the last time you were even close to them

Ended up ahead of them in 2005, 2007, and were just 4 spots behind them in 2010. We will rarely beat them in recruiting, but we should always end up in the Top 15 in recruiting if our staff is selling this program the way they should.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Thanks. Hopefully they can make some waves with those camps. For some reason it feels like late July even though it's only May.

Penn State is sorta the one that opened my eyes. If ever you thought there were a situation where kids wouldn't want to go there and we had a few "free years" not to worry about them. All he's done is haul monster classes since he's been there. If they aren't a team on the rise soon, he can't coach his way out of a paper sack. And here we were the whole time making excuses for why NU couldn't go and do likewise.

With Urban I expected exactly what is happening. I wonder if he'll need another "break from coaching" or will try his hand at the NFL in a few more years. Was pretty surprised there was never an NCAA investigation associated with his hiatus from winning national titles.

Gotta love and laugh at stupid hate of Urban...sound like a little kid that got pushed down on the play ground...you have no idea what your talking about so maybe just be silent would be a good idea.

Gotta love and laugh at stupid hate of Urban...sound like a little kid that got pushed down on the play ground...you have no idea what your talking about so maybe just be silent would be a good idea.
Overreact much? Maybe you should take some of our own advice.

Until Nebraska starts actually consistently playing teams like Ohio State or Florida State or Bama for championships, I'm not going to worry about how Nebraska stacks up vs. Those teams In recruiting.

The Huskers roll out of bed In the morning and consistently out recruit Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern and even Michigan State to some extent.

What was Bo's record vs those teams? It was 12-9 or something.

The same folks who are still bitching about recruiting now are the same ignorant folks who never realized they were giving Bo a pass then. Recruiting alone wasnt allowing Mitch Leidner to look like Eric Crouch.

Recruiting wasn't propelling Melvin Gordon to the greatest rushing day in college football history. Recruiting wasnt allowing Iowa to beat Nebraska by 21 points, in Lincoln, despite only gaining 282 yards.

Mike Riley has quickly and dramatically worked on filling in depth on this current roster. I'm guessing he looked at the mess Bo created at linebacker and quickl. implemented a plan of action.

He's building a team that can Sustain a full season in the Big Ten. You actually have to win the Big Ten West before you worry about competing vs Ohio State.

Ohhhhh, sweetheart, look at you! Aren't you just all noise and no grammar? Best course of action is for you to take your own advice before you make yourself look any worse.

51 players are uncommitted from the Rivals 100.
145 players are uncommitted from the rivals 250.

How many of these top 250 players will we have after signing is over, that won't be answered until next year. Some players aren't ranked in the top 100/250, but some of those players will go on to be very successful. So, do the "rich get richer" or do we land some. We won't know that until later.

I won't lie to ya, I would love to see 5 or more top players already committed to NU. It's just not playing out that way. Can we be successful at a high level (consistently in the top 10) without top players, I just don't see that happening.

51 players are uncommitted from the Rivals 100.
145 players are uncommitted from the rivals 250.

How many of these top 250 players will we have after signing is over, that won't be answered until next year. Some players aren't ranked in the top 100/250, but some of those players will go on to be very successful. So, do the "rich get richer" or do we land some. We won't know that until later.

I won't lie to ya, I would love to see 5 or more top players already committed to NU. It's just not playing out that way. Can we be successful at a high level (consistently in the top 10) without top players, I just don't see that happening.

History suggests no. It's pretty clear that the teams who win it all were bringing in top classes prior to doing it. I'm all for coaching up some guys who other teams missed, but most of the time it's just as easy as it sounds: The players everyone thinks will be the best are usually the best.

Folks, the only way that we're going to get over the hump quickly (say in the next several years) is to hire that lightning rod recruiter.
Otherwise, it's going to be a slow build.
From the looks of things, it appears that the program is OK with the slow build.

Folks, the only way that we're going to get over the hump quickly (say in the next several years) is to hire that lightning rod recruiter.
From the looks of things, it appears that the program is OK with the slow build.
Yep. Mike Riley doesn't exactly act or sound like he'd hire a John Blake.

I think we have a great group now; unless your ace recruiter addition was nationally known for coaching and into NFl; any addition would be incremental. Winning dwarfs another recruiter in bringing them in

History suggests no. It's pretty clear that the teams who win it all were bringing in top classes prior to doing it. I'm all for coaching up some guys who other teams missed, but most of the time it's just as easy as it sounds: The players everyone thinks will be the best are usually the best.

Like Baylor, TCU and KSU (by most standards bad recruiting classes) and Oregon (recruits similarly to us). Of course none of these schools have won "it all" but how many people were moaning that TCU would have won the playoff if they had gotten in? Good classes with a great class every 4 years with great coaching will keep us towards the top of the dogpile and thats all any college football fan can hope for. Will it be enough to win it all? Well it has only happened 5 times in ~125 years in our storied history, so it shouldn't be a surprise that winning the title is a rare event no matter how great the recruiting. Sure the better the recruiting classes the better the probabilities, but this is college football. (OSU's team last year was probably "outrecruited" by more than just alabama)

Yep. Mike Riley doesn't exactly act or sound like he'd hire a John Blake.

He obviously proved that last January. Which was his first mistake on the job. I understand, Riley doesn't under value recruiting like BO did. Riley works hard at it but is a man with a code. He is not a "don't take no for an answer type of guy" like UM & Nick. And unfortunately it's rare 18 year olds care about nobility. And I believe NU should be able to recruit against tOSU but I understand that Riley will never be able to out recruit UM.

And it's not just UM, Franklin can sell & Harbaugh can sell. They are the win at all cost and don't take no for an answer types. Then don't forget Mark D, who already has the benefit of proving he can win, something MR doesn't. So that a lone already puts us in the middle of the conference at recruiting.

MR can't out recruit these guys. Not now. Not without proving he can win. IMO had he hired a big shot recruiter he could have hit the ground running. someone who wasn't like him. Someone to play dirty but legal. The greatest businessman in history always had a guy who was unlike them to do the things they can't.

So I guess we wait and see if he can win with Bo's recruits to create some interest. Cause if he cant, we are in trouble.

Reactions: siegsker

What "build?" .... What exactly are you talking about? Nebraska has to win the Big Ten West first. Then they can worry about beating Ohio State and making the playoffs.
There is more than enough talent on this current roster to win the Big Ten West right now. If you don't believe that, then you clearly don't understand why Bo Pelini lost his job.

But guess what? No team in college football is beating Ohio State next season.

The absurd part of this argument stems from Classes of 2016 and 2017. Even if you signed the #1 class in 2016 and 2017, you're not winning a National Championship in 2017 because of those classes alone. That type of thinking is the type of thinking The "May National Champs on the Main Board" make. That's Michigan Fan 2013 and Tennessee fan 2013, 2014, and 2015 mantra.

Do you think every recruit from a #1 class in 2016 would start in 2016? Do you know how many games that team would lose?

Riley is going about this the right way. The 1st thing he did was address depth. Where is the depth the worst?

1. Linebacker - Riley signed Young, Talan, Barry, and Ferguson. His most recent commit, William Johnson, will potentially be the #1 or #2 JUCO linebacker in the class of 2016.

And ironically enough, in 2015, Nebraska will be the only team in the Big Ten, other than Ohio State, with all three of their starting linebackers as former 4-Stars. So he has some talented starters for a couple of seasons before his depth is completely built up.

2. Riley believes his roster and 2-deep is good enough right now to win the Big Ten West. He's not an idiot. He sees talent. He has watched film. He's seen his personnel, and he knows what the schedule holds. So he's going to make the offense more fluid and mold it around his current talent instead of trying to insert quare pegs into round holes.

3. Intergrate and develop depth along the D-line. he's doing this. Get your talented starters some rest. Give them a rotation. You suddenly go from basically 5 guys playing per game to now having a rotation of 8 to 10 scholarship guys.

4. Overhaul the strength and conditioning. you build a roster capable of holding up in Novemebr in the Big Ten. This is paramount along the offensive line.

5. RECRUIT SPEED - Look at his recruits. If you can;t get the #1 on your board, you sign dudes who can run. An extension of that aspect is Special teams. You create a true advantage on Special teams and insert athletes who can make plays on Special teams while they're developing their roles.

Then you win games. Win the division and prove progression is coming.

Lastly, and this is something Bo never did:

Riley and staff clearly have a "big board." They have obviously ranked their recruits based on talent, need, and necessity. If 1A is no longer an option, they're moving to 1B because theyre is already a relationship in place.

If Bo missed out on his 1A, he then moved to 1H at the last minute.

Callahan showed NU can get up to 13 4/5 star players in one class, so it can be done at NU with a terrible year before. I feel much better with MR recruiting than the crazy one. MR is better at identifying under the radar talent but hasn't had the experience landing top 15 classes, never really had the opportunity until now.

be one of those people saying everyone needs to chill because it's still so early, but I can't shake the memory of all the times we kept saying that about recruiting under Pelini and the staff never seemed to get serious about recruiting til it was already too late.

Are they making good progress on some bigtime guys but just haven't "broken the seal" yet? Should we expect more commits to start flying over the summer when there are more camps?[/QUOTE]

What "build?" .... What exactly are you talking about? Nebraska has to win the Big Ten West first. Then they can worry about beating Ohio State and making the playoffs.
There is more than enough talent on this current roster to win the Big Ten West right now. If you don't believe that, then you clearly don't understand why Bo Pelini lost his job.

But guess what? No team in college football is beating Ohio State next season.

The absurd part of this argument stems from Classes of 2016 and 2017. Even if you signed the #1 class in 2016 and 2017, you're not winning a National Championship in 2017 because of those classes alone. That type of thinking is the type of thinking The "May National Champs on the Main Board" make. That's Michigan Fan 2013 and Tennessee fan 2013, 2014, and 2015 mantra.

Do you think every recruit from a #1 class in 2016 would start in 2016? Do you know how many games that team would lose?

Riley is going about this the right way. The 1st thing he did was address depth. Where is the depth the worst?

1. Linebacker - Riley signed Young, Talan, Barry, and Ferguson. His most recent commit, William Johnson, will potentially be the #1 or #2 JUCO linebacker in the class of 2016.

And ironically enough, in 2015, Nebraska will be the only team in the Big Ten, other than Ohio State, with all three of their starting linebackers as former 4-Stars. So he has some talented starters for a couple of seasons before his depth is completely built up.

2. Riley believes his roster and 2-deep is good enough right now to win the Big Ten West. He's not an idiot. He sees talent. He has watched film. He's seen his personnel, and he knows what the schedule holds. So he's going to make the offense more fluid and mold it around his current talent instead of trying to insert quare pegs into round holes.

3. Intergrate and develop depth along the D-line. he's doing this. Get your talented starters some rest. Give them a rotation. You suddenly go from basically 5 guys playing per game to now having a rotation of 8 to 10 scholarship guys.

4. Overhaul the strength and conditioning. you build a roster capable of holding up in Novemebr in the Big Ten. This is paramount along the offensive line.

5. RECRUIT SPEED - Look at his recruits. If you can;t get the #1 on your board, you sign dudes who can run. An extension of that aspect is Special teams. You create a true advantage on Special teams and insert athletes who can make plays on Special teams while they're developing their roles.

Then you win games. Win the division and prove progression is coming.

Lastly, and this is something Bo never did:

Riley and staff clearly have a "big board." They have obviously ranked their recruits based on talent, need, and necessity. If 1A is no longer an option, they're moving to 1B because theyre is already a relationship in place.

If Bo missed out on his 1A, he then moved to 1H at the last minute.

It's pretty simple. Riley is going to build this brick-by-brick. We did not hire a lightning rod recruiter, and so we can't expect to land top 10 recruiting classes right away. Instead, we will have to climb the ladder, one year at a time.

Reactions: siegsker
It's pretty simple. Riley is going to build this brick-by-brick. We did not hire a lightning rod recruiter, and so we can't expect to land top 10 recruiting classes right away. Instead, we will have to climb the ladder, one year at a time.

So you think 1 top 10 class equals immediate results?

Also, this isn't a 3-9 football team. The structure is already in place.

So you think 1 top 10 class equals immediate results?

Also, this isn't a 3-9 football team. The structure is already in place.

No, I never said that. And I don't think anyone out there sees this as a 3-9 team. Even Bo could flip those numbers around.

But until we get consistent, higher-ranked recruiting classes, we will continue to be a mediocre, fringe-ranked team.

What I really hope to see is 4-5 classed in a row ranked between 13 and 20. Then with good coaching and great Special teams you are competing at the top 10 level. Patience is a must but I think these may be they guys to do that!

I don't think there's that great a gap in talent between us and many of the top 10-15 teams at this point. Not convinced we're that far behind the Michigan States and Kansas States of the world. Better development, coaching, and QB play and we're competitive with them.

There's a significant difference between us and the top five or so teams, though. We need more consistent recruiting if we're ever going to talk about the playoff again.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Always nice to get a chime in from the people who remind you that somebody can still suck at coaching even if they have great players. WE KNOW. YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO BOTH.

Oregon, KSU, TCU and the like have done well. But they are lacking in trophies. Oregon is a perfect example of how having system players who are pretty good can take you far, but maybe not far enough. The Air Raid made Texas Tech a hell of a lot better than it would have been, but it's not evidence that recruiting is bunk.

Making it to/winning a BCS game is not the same as winning a national title. Ask Kansas and Iowa about how fleeting that kind of success can be. NU is not trying to be Kansas or Iowa, or even Kansas State or TCU. NU is trying to be Alabama, OSU, USC under Pete.

The second you try to just win the Big 10 West, you've already lost. Nebraska should have been winning the Big 10 West the last several years. They are more talented than those teams. Wisconsin and Minnesota do not have better players than Nebraska, they had better coaches. So if you try to say the goal is the division, that's a mediocre mentality. The division sucks. Don't shoot the messenger. The division is BAD. OSU and MSU are the show, and every other team in the Big 10 is not very good.

Facts are facts when it comes to recruiting. If you break down the national title winners going a long time back, they were all recruiting at an elite level prior to winning it. Not every elite recruiter gets a ring, but all the guys who have rings are elite recruiters.

I'm not trying to run Riley out, but other coaches have done more with less on the recruiting trail and have done it sooner. It's not unfair to ask why it's so quiet to this point. Maybe they'll kick the door down and I'll be singing his praises come December, but so far I'm worried that in 5 years we're gonna feel really bad about having to force him to "retire" because he sure is such a nice guy.

I don't think anyone believes if you have a #1 recruiting class in 2017, you will win a title in 2017. However, the chances of you actually winning a title in the next 4 to 5 years are much greater if your recruiting class is ranked #1 vs #33 (our current ranking).

I get it, you like MR. You believe in him. That's great but please stop talking up all of these great LB's MR brought in to save the defense. Seriously, I was and still am way more worried about DE. The only reason LB may be a bigger concern is because of the style of D Banker runs. We have 4 to 5 solid LBs before you even consider the ones MR is bringing in to save the D. That would have been plenty good for a coach who runs mostly Nickel.

NU will be starting a glorified walk-on @ DE. That worries me.

Last edited:
Does getting a commitment from o'brien change things at all?

In all seriousness, will the QBs we have committed begin the recruiting process to Nebraska as well? This seems to be the case in the past, thinking that trend will continue to assist the coaches in their jobs...

Also, skinner, we've had some good glorified walk ins come through the program before, even at DE. Gangwish seems to be holding his own so far.

Is it the current staffs' fault that we will be starting this glorified walk on? And do you think they aren't going to recruit any DEs moving forward? You can moan and groan about Gangwish, but the fact he might be starting really isn't the fault of Riley and Company. I believe they'll get it fixed in recruiting, but Gangwish is gonna get his time in the sun. If they don't fix it, like others have already stated, the coaches won't be here long.

Also, skinner, we've had some good glorified walk ins come through the program before, even at DE. Gangwish seems to be holding his own so far.

Is it the current staffs' fault that we will be starting this glorified walk on? And do you think they aren't going to recruit any DEs moving forward? You can moan and groan about Gangwish, but the fact he might be starting really isn't the fault of Riley and Company. I believe they'll get it fixed in recruiting, but Gangwish is gonna get his time in the sun. If they don't fix it, like others have already stated, the coaches won't be here long.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Depth @ D-End is not Riley & Co. fault. Drew Ott should be starting for NU & Harrison Phillips should be his back-up but someone didn't recruit well. And I don't have a problem with Gangwish. I think he is solid but he isn't exactly Jimmy Williams or Jared Tomich, if you want to talk about great DE walk-ons. Gangwish needs to prove a ton this year and I don't really think he earned being a starter as much as I think he got it by default. Hopefully he shows up in 2015 and has a great year.

But your last sentence I think is what makes me worried. All signs point to Riley and Co not being very good recruiters. (again not saying they can't develop). Not one of our coaches has ever proven they can sell with the big boys. Make excuses about lack of resources or state how being former NFL coaches will make it easy to sell (as if Nu is the only staff with a bunch of former NFL assistants). All I can say is that the prof is in the outcomes and I don't see Riley and Co ever recruiting top 10 classes without winning a lot of big games. Bo left them the talent so they have to do it now. If they don't, I am worried they wont leave the next guy with the same talent level that they inherited.

It will be interesting but I think its ironic that pretty much the faith of the program rests on guys (on ever level) who less than 5 years ago we gave zero "f's" about.

Spinner, sorry about the misspelling of the screen name...

In reading some of the comments from O'Brien's coach, it sounds like the coaching staff here did an amazing job with O'brien, both in the time given to him and selling the program. We can only hope this same sentiment will be shared by so many more, including some big time talent (which it sounds like O'Brien could be). We will see soon enough, but I still think (hope) they will be a significant upgrade in recruiting from Bo and company, and even be consistently in the top 20, with forays into the top 10 from time to time... Will that be good enough? We will see.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Depth @ D-End is not Riley & Co. fault. Drew Ott should be starting for NU & Harrison Phillips should be his back-up but someone didn't recruit well. And I don't have a problem with Gangwish. I think he is solid but he isn't exactly Jimmy Williams or Jared Tomich, if you want to talk about great DE walk-ons. Gangwish needs to prove a ton this year and I don't really think he earned being a starter as much as I think he got it by default. Hopefully he shows up in 2015 and has a great year.

But your last sentence I think is what makes me worried. All signs point to Riley and Co not being very good recruiters. (again not saying they can't develop). Not one of our coaches has ever proven they can sell with the big boys. Make excuses about lack of resources or state how being former NFL coaches will make it easy to sell (as if Nu is the only staff with a bunch of former NFL assistants). All I can say is that the prof is in the outcomes and I don't see Riley and Co ever recruiting top 10 classes without winning a lot of big games. Bo left them the talent so they have to do it now. If they don't, I am worried they wont leave the next guy with the same talent level that they inherited.

It will be interesting but I think its ironic that pretty much the faith of the program rests on guys (on ever level) who less than 5 years ago we gave zero "f's" about.

Bo left them the talent? Me thinks you are seriously over estimating the type of talent we currently have on campus. Considering the amount of players drafted under Riley at Oregon State I think he's going to do alright at a place like NU finding good talent.

I don't think anyone believes if you have a #1 recruiting class in 2017, you will win a title in 2017. However, the chances of you actually winning a title in the next 4 to 5 years are much greater if your recruiting class is ranked #1 vs #33 (our current ranking).

I get it, you like MR. You believe in him. That's great but please stop talking up all of these great LB's MR brought in to save the defense. Seriously, I was and still am way more worried about DE. The only reason LB may be a bigger concern is because of the style of D Banker runs. We have 4 to 5 solid LBs before you even consider the ones MR is bringing in to save the D. That would have been plenty good for a coach who runs mostly Nickel.

NU will be starting a glorified walk-on @ DE. That worries me.

Yet, you say Riley must do it now because of the "talent" Bo left him? Which is it?

Yet, you say Riley must do it now because of the "talent" Bo left him? Which is it?

I get what Spinner is saying (and others). Which is, Riley may not be able to recruit top athletes, or even recruit to the current NU level of talent, without winning a lot of games. So the point would be, we better win now (you can define "now"), or the overall talent level at NU may go down.

I can't argue or agree with that thought process at this time. It's May, we have until next year to fill the class. We're not killing it on the recruiting front, but there's still a lot of top athletes uncommitted. Not every low 3 star guy is going on to be all-American just because our staff recruited them, so we do need to land some of the top athletes (imo).

ADVERTISEMENT